Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:39 pm Unioto and Fairfield Union scrimmaged on Wednesday at Unioto, with the Shermans taking 4 of the 6 quarters. Each team took a one point quarter and a sizeable win in a quarter as well.

Redding and Schmelzer are going to be a tough tandem for the Falcons and they had several guys who could knock down shots as well.

You could tell the difference in the rims at LE’s new gym and Unioto’s lol. Way more made shots tonight than last night with similar amounts of being open.

Unioto looked better overall, still missing their PG, but Cutright did a nice job tonight. 5-6 kids knocking down outside shots can make them very difficult to guard and that happened a good bit tonight.
daniC - who did FU have running the point? When I talked with Coach Helber over the summer they were looking at Redding running the point ... glad to hear that the Falcons have more scoring on the perimeter - THAT was even a issue last year - scoring on the perimeter, THIS year it will be finding that 3rd double digit scorer, a PG and another "consistent" scoring threat ( doesn't have to be great just a player the defense can't cheat on, keeping the double teams away from Schmelzer down low ... Unioto should be deep! when is PG Blake Fitch due back on the court ? ... the Tanks are going to need everyone on the court when Miami Trace comes to the U on the 2nd - good ball club ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Just watched the Western Pike vs Southeastern & New Boston scrimmage from last night ... everyone was pretty evenly matched ... early struggles from the perimeter for all 3 teams ... Western trying to find scoring outside of Haggy and Janes ... missing that strong big man down low (right now anyway) ... NB has some athletes - the Tigers aren't as low in the rankings as pfloyd have them - I look for GHS to improve throughout the season with the athletes on the floor ... first time seeing SE this season - scrimmages are just that scrimmages - lots of trial and error, mixing of lineups to figure out roles ... SE might be ranked a little high by the committee in the preseason rankings - we'll see!!! ... good getting to watch some hoops !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:47 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:39 pm Unioto and Fairfield Union scrimmaged on Wednesday at Unioto, with the Shermans taking 4 of the 6 quarters. Each team took a one point quarter and a sizeable win in a quarter as well.

Redding and Schmelzer are going to be a tough tandem for the Falcons and they had several guys who could knock down shots as well.

You could tell the difference in the rims at LE’s new gym and Unioto’s lol. Way more made shots tonight than last night with similar amounts of being open.

Unioto looked better overall, still missing their PG, but Cutright did a nice job tonight. 5-6 kids knocking down outside shots can make them very difficult to guard and that happened a good bit tonight.
daniC - who did FU have running the point? When I talked with Coach Helber over the summer they were looking at Redding running the point ... glad to hear that the Falcons have more scoring on the perimeter - THAT was even a issue last year - scoring on the perimeter, THIS year it will be finding that 3rd double digit scorer, a PG and another "consistent" scoring threat ( doesn't have to be great just a player the defense can't cheat on, keeping the double teams away from Schmelzer down low ... Unioto should be deep! when is PG Blake Fitch due back on the court ? ... the Tanks are going to need everyone on the court when Miami Trace comes to the U on the 2nd - good ball club ...
Redding and Schmelzer each ran the point at times

Fitch should be back soon, definitely in time for the opener with MT. Not sure if he’ll be back for their foundation game next Tuesday though.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC scrimmages Circleville this Friday and South Point (Lovely) the following Friday.

VC is also playing a scrimmage Vs an alumni group at the end of November that should be interesting!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dundas wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:24 pm VC scrimmages Circleville this Friday and South Point (Lovely) the following Friday.

VC is also playing a scrimmage Vs an alumni group at the end of November that should be interesting!
... THAT'S a great couple of scrimmages for VC in readying themselves for the opening tipoff of the regular season - South Point obviously with Caleb Lovely and Xathan Haney hopefully getting some PT in this one, regional finalist - great scrimmage ... Circleville has a couple of the best players in SEO this season as well - seniors Briley Cramer (6-4) and (6-5) Slater Search ... VC should be THE team in the TVC, 2 solid bigs in Ashton Allman and Owen Hire ... PG Cobra Sharp, Garrett Brown who is in any conversation of THE best "big body" perimeter shooters in SEOhio ... Showborn/Yates ... Coach Kight & Co. WILL make noise in SEOhio hoops this season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Well!!! THIS has been a productive evening, 1/2 a day at school tomorrow - soooooo what does one do to prep? pfloyd watched scrimmages and previews all evening !!! Western @ Trimble ... Warren vs Marietta - 2 qtr preview ... Piketon vs Circleville ... Greenfield McClain vs Waverly ... Portsmouth West vs Symmes Valley ... Northwest vs Huntington ... Manchester vs Piketon ... Green @ Western ... Manchester vs Piketon ... Northwest vs Coal Grove !!! MY KINDA EVENING of PREPARATION for the upcoming regular season !!! good stuff ... there were some foundation games tonight - anyone have information from the Circleville vs Washington CH or Logan @ Sheridan ? I'm sure there were others tonight ... getting psyched for the opening tipoffs next Friday night ...

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

Fairland defeated Miami Trace 2 quarters, tied the 3rd, and lost the 4th on Saturday.

Defeated Russell (KY) tonight by 20 pts through first 3 quarters. Lost last quarter by 1.

Coach Speed has team playing very up tempo whole game. Bench finally is 4/5 deep. Team looks solid thus far.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:39 pm Well!!! THIS has been a productive evening, 1/2 a day at school tomorrow - soooooo what does one do to prep? pfloyd watched scrimmages and previews all evening !!! Western @ Trimble ... Warren vs Marietta - 2 qtr preview ... Piketon vs Circleville ... Greenfield McClain vs Waverly ... Portsmouth West vs Symmes Valley ... Northwest vs Huntington ... Manchester vs Piketon ... Green @ Western ... Manchester vs Piketon ... Northwest vs Coal Grove !!! MY KINDA EVENING of PREPARATION for the upcoming regular season !!! good stuff ... there were some foundation games tonight - anyone have information from the Circleville vs Washington CH or Logan @ Sheridan ? I'm sure there were others tonight ... getting psyched for the opening tipoffs next Friday night ...
Waverly travelled to Unioto for their foundation game, raising over $1800 to help some students have a special Christmas, which was the most important part of the night.

The Shermans won 68-50 and while they really only ran 3 plays throughout the game, did them very well. The Tanks were still without Blake Fitch, but he’ll be back post-Thanksgiving for their final scrimmage.

I have a feeling that Waverly is going to be a completely different team by tournament time as they are extremely young.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake scrimmaged Portsmouth Notre Dame and after 6 quarters a 2 point ballgame. The was down one player who has been playing well should be back for Friday scrimmage vs Portsmouth West.
Both teams played your man to man in your face defense. Both coaches use a lot of players working different combinations. Notre Dame is coached well.

CoachFlora
Riding the Bench

Post by CoachFlora »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:39 pm Well!!! THIS has been a productive evening, 1/2 a day at school tomorrow - soooooo what does one do to prep? pfloyd watched scrimmages and previews all evening !!! Western @ Trimble ... Warren vs Marietta - 2 qtr preview ... Piketon vs Circleville ... Greenfield McClain vs Waverly ... Portsmouth West vs Symmes Valley ... Northwest vs Huntington ... Manchester vs Piketon ... Green @ Western ... Manchester vs Piketon ... Northwest vs Coal Grove !!! MY KINDA EVENING of PREPARATION for the upcoming regular season !!! good stuff ... there were some foundation games tonight - anyone have information from the Circleville vs Washington CH or Logan @ Sheridan ? I'm sure there were others tonight ... getting psyched for the opening tipoffs next Friday night ...
https://www.recordherald.com/2023/11/21 ... n-contest/

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

CoachFlora wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:31 pm
https://www.recordherald.com/2023/11/21 ... n-contest/
Good stuff! thanks for posting CoachFlora ... great reading - CH , my #9 preseason team holding on to beat my preseason #12 Roundtown Tigers ... 2 good TEAMS ... Circleville was without 6-5 Soph Ed Kirk is my understanding ... excellent preseason showing by BOTH TEAMS ...

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Is Athens having the Shrine preview this year ?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

marklduckworth wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:23 pm Is Athens having the Shrine preview this year ?
duck, I haven't seen any promotion for it this year ... it would be Friday or Saturday of this week usually ... I always liked to go, get a program with most if not all of the TVC rosters ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Scrimmage Monday night of note : Minford Vs Fairland
Quarter scores, as they reset after each quarter
19-9 FHS
19-17 FHS
8-20 MINFORD
14-6 FHS

FHS went 9 deep and rotated top 8 a lot. Minford went 7 deep. Both teams mirrored each other. FHS depth is going to help a lot more this year

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Anyone have info on tonight’s scrimmage at Jackson between the Ironmen and South Point?

pointers87
Waterboy

Post by pointers87 »

I thought South Point played well. Jackson has two guards that can shoot the ball. Jackson boxes out well. Jackson will win their conference. Lovely shoulder was affecting him. We need him to get healthy if we’re going to make any run. I thought our press was strong. Did a good job taking care of the ball. Missed too many lay-ups. Once we clean our mistakes up we will be fine.

South Gallia was in attendance and they play hard. They won a few quarters against South Point and Jackson. They are way to low in the rankings.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pointers87 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:10 pm I thought South Point played well. Jackson has two guards that can shoot the ball. Jackson boxes out well. Jackson will win their conference. Lovely shoulder was affecting him. We need him to get healthy if we’re going to make any run. I thought our press was strong. Did a good job taking care of the ball. Missed too many lay-ups. Once we clean our mistakes up we will be fine.

South Gallia was in attendance and they play hard. They won a few quarters against South Point and Jackson. They are way to low in the rankings.
… Southern is one of those schools that we can’t get information about … once the season starts we’ll have scores and hopefully a poster or 12 who will fill us in on what they bring to the table … thanks for the heads up ! We’ll keep them on our radar ..,

basketballmind
Waterboy

Post by basketballmind »

Was at tonight’s Western vs Notre Dame Foundation game. Western won 52-46. Hard fought game, very physical. Western jumped out to a 22-4 lead early, stout defense and transition baskets were the catalysts. Notre Dame slowly fought its way back as the game went on, the 21-6 run they went on in the 3rd helped a ton, but Western held strong at the end. Fun basketball to watch, I think it says a lot about how tough D4 will be this year.

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:55 pm
pointers87 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:10 pm I thought South Point played well. Jackson has two guards that can shoot the ball. Jackson boxes out well. Jackson will win their conference. Lovely shoulder was affecting him. We need him to get healthy if we’re going to make any run. I thought our press was strong. Did a good job taking care of the ball. Missed too many lay-ups. Once we clean our mistakes up we will be fine.

… Southern is one of those schools that we can’t get information about … once the season starts we’ll have scores and hopefully a poster or 12 who will fill us in on what they bring to the table … thanks for the heads up ! We’ll keep them on our radar ..,
I agree with pointers.
You could tell that Lovely wasn't 100%, and that would make a big difference. And SP's press/pressure was really good at times... Jackson has a couple of guards that usually handle that well, but they were shaky with how well SP could look BIG in that out front pressure. And Quick.

If Jackson can keep intensity level up, they could be fun to watch this year. They love to shoot, but they also love the cut/drive. If they keep a good mix, it'll be tough to defend for a lot of teams. Jackson has great numbers in the 10/9/8/7 grade groups.

South Gallia played hard... They need a couple of shooters to emerge, but again, they played hard. And they had a good showing in the JV scrimmage as well... good numbers. Hopefully that translates to a deeper Varsity bench in the near future for them. I really like Coach Elliott. Excited to see what his future holds in the coaching world.

FACSPORTS
JV Team

Post by FACSPORTS »

While Jackson has a really good team this year and I fully anticipate them winning 15-18 games, they are still very young. Miami Trace has a senior-laden team that is the best team they have had in the last 10 years or so. They will start four seniors and a 6'7" 260lb athletic sophomore that Jackson will struggle to guard in my opinion. I think next year and the year after, Jackson will be the favorites to win the FAC, but this year it is the Panther's title to lose. Also, you can't count out Washington CH who returns three starters from last season's FAC championship team and will be very athletic. They will probably start four seniors and a sophomore as well.

Return to “Boys Basketball”