Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

Post by pfloyd »

... It's TIME!!! the 2023-24 season is just around the corner, the final week of the regular season for high school football is upon us ...voluntary open gyms, weightlifting, conditioning ... Time to give us "hoops guys" something to start the basketball conversations with - enter Pfloyd's Elite 8 Preseason Rankings right on cue ... as always the rankings are just a starting point - obviously wanting and trying to "get it close to where the teams in Southern/SouthEast Ohio" should be placed before anyone tips off- what it looks like to me "on paper" ... as we open the season Dec 1st and play into the first 2 weeks expect teams that are down the rankings to move up and teams at the top to move down as we get "eyes on" the best of the best in the month of December ... let the beatings begin! BUT keep in mind old pfloyd IS closing in on 70 - take it easy on the committee one LOL ... looking forward to hitting the road! giving the top teams the "eye test" from the cheap seats around Southern/SouthEast Ohio but Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pfloyd’s Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 2023-24

1.Warren
2. Unioto
3. Jackson
4. South Point
5. Vinton County
6. Miami Trace
7. North Adams
8. Minford

... TreeHugger Wannabees...

Washington CH
Eastern Pike
South Webster
Circleville
Logan Elm
Marietta
Portsmouth

Fairland
Adena
Westfall
Northwest
Fairfield Union
Chesapeake
Zane Trace
Sheridan
Ironton
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth Notre Dame
Trimble
Western Pike
Eastern Brown
Waverly
Greenfield McClain
Hillsboro
Southeastern
Gallia Academy
Federal Hocking
Paint Valley
New Lexington
Ripley
Peebles
Fairfield Leesburg
Piketon
Nelsonville York
Waterford
Belpre
Portsmouth West
Logan
Whiteoak
Lucasville Valley
Rock Hill
Chillicothe
Manchester
Huntington
Meigs
Oak Hill
Symmes Valley
Athens
Lynchburg Clay
Rdsville Eastern
Ironton St Joseph
Coal Grove
Wellston
Southern
South Gallia
Alexander
New Boston
Green
Crooksville
Portsmouth Clay
Portsmouth East
West Union
River Valley
Miller
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

Post by pfloyd »

Friday Dec 1st:

ZT Classic -
Circleville vs Zane Trace
Amanda CC vs Westfall

other games on opening night:
Morgan @ Warren
Athens @ Marietta
Meigs @ Gallia Academy
Waverly @ Southeastern
North Adams @ West Union
Lynchburg Clay @ Eastern Brown
Paint Valley @ McClain
Piketon vs Western Pike @ Eastern Pike HS
Eastern Pike vs Huntington @ Eastern
Trimble @ Miller

Saturday Dec 2nd:

Logan @ Vinton County
Miami Trace @ Unioto
Circleville @ Bloom Carroll
Fairfield Union @ Liberty Union
Gallia Academy @ Washington CH

ZT Tip Off Classic :
South Point vs ??????????
Others ?

Eastern Brown @ Batavia
Huntington vs Western Pike @ Eastern Pike
Eastern Pike vs Piketon @ Eastern Pike

Tuesday Dec 5th :

Logan @ Marietta
Zane Trace @ Vinton County
Jackson @ McClain
Logan Elm @ Westfall
Fairfield Union @ Alexander
Greenup KY @ Chesapeake
Fayetteville @ Eastern Brown
South Webster @ Green
Morgan @ Federal Hocking
Portsmouth vs Lawrence Co. KY

Wednesday Dec 6th:

Warren @ Linsly WVa
Southeastern @ Circleville

... if anyone has the full menu of games for the ZT Tip Off Classic please post , any other games scheduled in week number , post them as well ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neb Hcuof ;)
Waterboy

Post by Neb Hcuof ;) »

You had Fairfield Local at #39 on your list last season and they went 24-1 (#2 D4 Final AP); sure hope you're this "right" again! :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Neb Hcuof ;) wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:30 pm You had Fairfield Local at #39 on your list last season and they went 24-1 (#2 D4 Final AP); sure hope you're this "right" again! :lol:
… you go with what you know or don’t know sometimes ! LoL - hard to rank’em without info from West of Rte 23 … teams imo always work their way to where they should be as the season unfolds … THE hardest ranking to do is THIS one - the preseason… been doing this for 20+ seasons - I’ve been wrong a bunch in the preseason ! 😆 … but I pride myself in giving teams their just dues as the season plays out or at least I hope I do …

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

You won't hear any arguments from me on the top 8! Hoping for big things out of this year's warren squad. Looking forward to the return of seo basketball.

Go Blue
BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Pfloyd here’s my preseason assessment of Shac teams that might help you (or might not!)

Big school predictions
1. North Adams-They return most of their cast last year, with Copas leading the way as a senior. They will play a much different style of basketball this year (space the floor more) due to not much size.

2.) Eastern Brown- Coach Beucler had a young team last year and I believe they return all but maybe 1-2 seniors. Walkup is a good shooter and they will be matured and physical.

The next 2 in either order will be Peebles or Lynchburg-Clay. Peebles graduated kids that were their go to scorers but they had a successful jv team and coach Arey always gets the best out of his groups. Lynchburg graduated 5 off their 8-9 man roster including 4 starters which included their best scorers in Waits and Chisman. Binkley was a strong defender and Shope was physical and did a good job rebounding. They return sophomore Clinton who will be relied on for scoring and possibly ball handling. They have competitive kids coming up so it will be interesting to see how they adjust to varsity speed.

5. West Union. Should be improved from last year if they have everyone come back out.

Small school

1.) Fairfield- They lose a lot but they return their point guard and other kids who had roles on their successful team last year. Unselfish group who will get after it.

2. Fayetteville- They lose their 6’7 senior Snider but they return good guard play that should be able to help them win games in the small school.

3. Manchester - They return almost everyone from their team last year, including their point guard Darnell. Second year under Kingsolver so kids know what to expect. Kids seem to have bought in towards the end of last season.

4 and 5 will be Ripley or Whiteoak. Both teams are going to be young and that youth will be baptized by fire as the season rolls around. I’d imagine 5-7 wins will be good seasons for those teams.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

BallDontLie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:48 pm Pfloyd here’s my preseason assessment of Shac teams that might help you (or might not!)

Big school predictions
1. North Adams-They return most of their cast last year, with Copas leading the way as a senior. They will play a much different style of basketball this year (space the floor more) due to not much size.

2.) Eastern Brown- Coach Beucler had a young team last year and I believe they return all but maybe 1-2 seniors. Walkup is a good shooter and they will be matured and physical.

The next 2 in either order will be Peebles or Lynchburg-Clay. Peebles graduated kids that were their go to scorers but they had a successful jv team and coach Arey always gets the best out of his groups. Lynchburg graduated 5 off their 8-9 man roster including 4 starters which included their best scorers in Waits and Chisman. Binkley was a strong defender and Shope was physical and did a good job rebounding. They return sophomore Clinton who will be relied on for scoring and possibly ball handling. They have competitive kids coming up so it will be interesting to see how they adjust to varsity speed.

5. West Union. Should be improved from last year if they have everyone come back out.

Small school

1.) Fairfield- They lose a lot but they return their point guard and other kids who had roles on their successful team last year. Unselfish group who will get after it.

2. Fayetteville- They lose their 6’7 senior Snider but they return good guard play that should be able to help them win games in the small school.

3. Manchester - They return almost everyone from their team last year, including their point guard Darnell. Second year under Kingsolver so kids know what to expect. Kids seem to have bought in towards the end of last season.

4 and 5 will be Ripley or Whiteoak. Both teams are going to be young and that youth will be baptized by fire as the season rolls around. I’d imagine 5-7 wins will be good seasons for those teams.
BallDontLie ! thank you for the input! I print off all of the rundowns so I have some point of reference when reading the newspaper articles etc. - greatly appreciated ... That's what I had for NA and Eastern Brown - NA with almost the entire lineup returning, Eastern Brown - had them as young from last season, saw them a couple of time last season - the seniors that they had didn't play much if at all as the season went along ... under Coach Beucler last years team should find an identity this season as they return the starting group they end the season with ... Fairfield Leesburg - I knew the starting PG was returning - knew they lost a bunch of starters ...

Didn't know what Whiteoak returned... I had the Manchester roster from last season, Coach Kingsolver did a good job last season, with the majority of the roster returning it bodes well for the Greyhounds ...

Thanks again! my shot in the dark on Ripley was off ... they lost 4 of their 5 starters from last season's team ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Something to think about as that opening tip off gets closer - we have some of the top teams in basketball looking to go deep into the FOOTBALL post season ... the usual cast of characters - Jackson, Ironton, Wheelersburg, Unioto, Trimble, Waterford, Paint Valley, Portsmouth West, Chesapeake, Fairland, Vinton County, Logan Elm etc. - some of the key games I'm thinking of the Miami Trace @ Unioto for example may not be played in the opening week - just thinking aloud here - we'll see !!! At the very least some of the teams that are having outstanding football seasons and looking to be just good on the hardwood may take awhile to work into their basketball shape - before they show us their hoops prowess ...

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:08 pm
BallDontLie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:48 pm Pfloyd here’s my preseason assessment of Shac teams that might help you (or might not!)

Big school predictions

Small school

BallDontLie ! thank you for the input! I print off all of the rundowns so I have some point of reference when reading the newspaper articles etc. - greatly appreciated ... That's what I had for NA and Eastern Brown - NA with almost the entire lineup returning, Eastern Brown - had them as young from last season, saw them a couple of time last season - the seniors that they had didn't play much if at all as the season went along ... under Coach Beucler last years team should find an identity this season as they return the starting group they end the season with ... Fairfield Leesburg - I knew the starting PG was returning - knew they lost a bunch of starters ...

Didn't know what Whiteoak returned... I had the Manchester roster from last season, Coach Kingsolver did a good job last season, with the majority of the roster returning it bodes well for the Greyhounds ...

Thanks again! my shot in the dark on Ripley was off ... they lost 4 of their 5 starters from last season's team ...
Manchester and Fairfield open their seasons against each other I believe, which will be a league game too. Early standing implications from the get go!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Thank you for all you do pfloyd. Very much appreciated.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

Cannot forget to thank the SEO legend Mr.Pfloyd
Last edited by Watchinghoops on Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watchinghoops
Waterboy

Post by Watchinghoops »

For the New SOC 1&2 I can give a little run down on what I know,

1. Minford returns everyone but crank and Hannah should be the front runners, shouldn’t have to say too much.

2. South Webster returns Summers, Roberts with guards like mault that can handle the rock.

3. Northwest returns Jenkins, Bolin, Lintz, Lewis, Wolfenbarker. Could win the league imo, very nice looking team senior led with a great sophomore in wolfenbarker

4 Wheelersburg, Returns a lot very deep team with sophomores like Kenyon Evans, Braylon Rucker, Landon McGraw. Team should be solid.

5. Waverly, I really liked what I saw out of Waverly coming off a 2-20 season, they return virtually everybody, while adding Gunnar and sawyer myers, Weston bloss, Landyn Russell, teagen hurt, this should be a very deep and aggressive team this is my sleeper team

6. Eastern, I have eastern 6 but could definitely move up very quick, losing their best player in Neil Leist but returning some star players like White, Leist, Tomilson Eastern could be great or average based on how they are shooting.

7. Valley, Losing everyone but, Copley valley should start out a little sluggish but having a good freshmen and sophomore class I could see this being a very solid team by the end of the season, freshmen Jaxsyn bender and I don’t know the other kids name but I believe he wore number 1 on their 8th grade team this year we’re SPECIAL very calm collected skilled good size some of the best Jr.high players I’ve seen this year, I could definitely see valley being good but they have some roles to fill

8. Western Pike, Returning Haggy,Lightle, Wiremen, Janes Western should be a solid team this year, I don’t expect too much having to play some bigger schools they will have a rough time against the minfords of the world but overall being D-4 should be able to win 2 ish games in the tournament and have a pretty good season overall.

9 Portsmouth West, I don’t think west will be very good this year based off what they lost, they return in my opinion they’re best player in bishop but lose the PG Irwin and C sissel not having a deep team or great JV team last year I’m not sure how they would be anything over .500

10. Oak Hill, Not being very good last year and losing Hall, Kinzel, will be a rough year for the oaks, not very deep and not very good of a JV team I can’t see the oaks being .500 this year depending on how tough of a non league schedule they have

Overall the SOC this year is pretty balanced and I feel any of the top 6 could find a way to win it, my guess is minford wins it outright or we could have a multiple team split for the title excited for this year and goodluck to all the area teams and have a great season!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I can see Webster and Minford Splitting for the SOC3.
Roberts, Sommer, Shupert, Barnard, Mault, White, Campbell, 6’3 Jack I heard he’s a baller. Stormin Norm on the bench. Let’s gooooo

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Watchinghoops wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 pm For the New SOC 1&2 I can give a little run down on what I know,

1. Minford returns everyone but crank and Hannah should be the front runners, shouldn’t have to say too much.

2. South Webster returns Summers, Roberts with guards like mault that can handle the rock.

3. Northwest returns Jenkins, Bolin, Lintz, Lewis, Wolfenbarker. Could win the league imo, very nice looking team senior led with a great sophomore in wolfenbarker

4 Wheelersburg, Returns a lot very deep team with sophomores like Kenyon Evans, Braylon Rucker, Landon McGraw. Team should be solid.

5. Waverly, I really liked what I saw out of Waverly coming off a 2-20 season, they return virtually everybody, while adding Gunnar and sawyer myers, Weston bloss, Landyn Russell, teagen hurt, this should be a very deep and aggressive team this is my sleeper team

6. Eastern, I have eastern 6 but could definitely move up very quick, losing their best player in Neil Leist but returning some star players like White, Leist, Tomilson Eastern could be great or average based on how they are shooting.

7. Valley, Losing everyone but, Copley valley should start out a little sluggish but having a good freshmen and sophomore class I could see this being a very solid team by the end of the season, freshmen Jaxsyn bender and I don’t know the other kids name but I believe he wore number 1 on their 8th grade team this year we’re SPECIAL very calm collected skilled good size some of the best Jr.high players I’ve seen this year, I could definitely see valley being good but they have some roles to fill

8. Western Pike, Returning Haggy,Lightle, Wiremen, Janes Western should be a solid team this year, I don’t expect too much having to play some bigger schools they will have a rough time against the minfords of the world but overall being D-4 should be able to win 2 ish games in the tournament and have a pretty good season overall.

9 Portsmouth West, I don’t think west will be very good this year based off what they lost, they return in my opinion they’re best player in bishop but lose the PG Irwin and C sissel not having a deep team or great JV team last year I’m not sure how they would be anything over .500

10. Oak Hill, Not being very good last year and losing Hall, Kinzel, will be a rough year for the oaks, not very deep and not very good of a JV team I can’t see the oaks being .500 this year depending on how tough of a non league schedule they have

Overall the SOC this year is pretty balanced and I feel any of the top 6 could find a way to win it, my guess is minford wins it outright or we could have a multiple team split for the title excited for this year and goodluck to all the area teams and have a great season!
Watchinghoops, thank you for the info on the SOC 1 & 2 ... the pfloyd tour will definitely be seeing a bunch of these teams this coming season - Eastern Pike, Western Pike, Waverly, Minford, South Webster, Northwest and Wheelersburg are on my radar to get "eyes on" ... I'm thinking seriously about going to Eastern Pike for the opening night of Western Pike, Huntington, Eastern Pike & Piketon on Dec 1st ... we'll see, still waiting to see what the menu of games for Friday the 1st is at the ZT Tip Off Classic ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Waverly, Wheelersburg, West, Minford, South Webster and Valley will comprise one division.

Oak Hill, Northwest, Eastern, Western, South Gallia and Symmes will comprise another division.

Clay, East, Glenwood, Notre Dame, Green and Ironton St. Joe will be the third.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Vikingking1
Waterboy

Post by Vikingking1 »

Soc
1) Minford
2) Webster
3) Wheelersburg
4) Valley
5) West
6) Waverly

Next division
1) Northwest
2) Eastern
3) Western
4) Oak Hill
5) Symmes
6) South Gallia

Next division
1) Notre Dame
2) Green
3) St Joe
4) Gleenwood
5) East
6) Clay

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: The Trojans scrimmage South Webster on 11/27. Our 1st game is on 12/5 vs. Lawrence County KY.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:20 am pfloyd: The Trojans scrimmage South Webster on 11/27. Our 1st game is on 12/5 vs. Lawrence County KY.
... thanks trojandave, fixed it in my post ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pembrook burrows III » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:46 pm

These are some names to watch based on summer basketball, subject of course to staying injury-free through football season:

Braden Schreck, Jr., 6-3, 18 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg, First Team All-Distrct D2, Special Mention All-Ohio D2
Shaun Terry, Jr., 5-11, 16 ppg, 4 rpg, 4 apg, 52 threes on 44% 3fg, Second Team All-District D2, Honorable Mention All-Ohio D2
Tyler Roach, Jr., 6-1, frequent back-up last season
Markel Cotton, Jr., 6-2, frequent back-up last season
Bryce Markins, Jr., 5-10, frequent bacl-up last season
Bailey Thacker, Sr. 6-4, missed last season with injury
Bo Gossett, Jr., 6-3, missed last season with injury
Quentin Rodehaver, Sr., 6-6, played overseas while father worked as United Nations Human Rights Attorney
Ashton Layne, Fr., 6-1
Kayden Edwards, Fr., 5-11

My apologies to the young men I may be overlooking.

Overall, I would think this season's Ironton squad will be bigger, deeper, and more experienced than last season's 17-7 sophomore-dominated team that finished 2nd in a very strong OVC, and lost an overtime heartbreaker on the road at New Lexington in the D2 Sectional Finals.

... thanks pembrook burrows III ... saw this over on the Ironton thread, copied it over here ... I look for big things from the basketball Tigers this winter on the hardwood ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... apparently none of the moderators are reading the basketball forum yet - as they haven't made this topic a "sticky" yet ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”