Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by art_vandelay »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 am
sandstorm23 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:27 am I’d say those state title hopes took a hit this weekend for the Trojans. Getting back into the top half of the OVC should probably be where the goals shift to.
Hey kids, don’t have goals for yourself. And if you do, if things go awry, quit on those goals.
Unfortunately, this par for the course for what this site has become: adults on here bashing kids. Hell, even moderators joining in on the action on other threads. Sad to see.*

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

Sorry guys, just thought I was being realistic. Looks like I’m in the minority here of not seeing this team as a state title contender.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

sandstorm23 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:43 am Sorry guys, just thought I was being realistic. Looks like I’m in the minority here of not seeing this team as a state title contender.
Goals are good but so is being realistic. At some point it’s delusional.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

....Ree-aALL-eestik..? Dlooo-zhinal..? Thems some big words for some in Trojan land. And i ain't talkin bout the kids

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Having the goal of making the state tournament is okay with me, because the Portsmouth Trojans have been to the state more than any other school in the SE district and only 4 schools in the entire state have more appearances. The state is always to goal at PHS, whether we make it or not. We've been to the state in 8 different decades, only topped by Canton McKinley. I can tell you for a fact that the kids on the team have no problem whatsoever with that lofty goal. Coach Lisath told his kids from day 1 that his goal is to bring another state title to Portsmouth HS. Is he wrong for doing so? Absolutely not, because Jeff was a state champion so he knows that's the bar that's been set at PHS.

I take it as a compliment for some of the posters on here who are not Portsmouth alums to take the time to read and post about the Trojans. There are some that may hate us, but at the same time they're paying attention to us. Thank you for making us part of your day.

Now back to the Trojans.......
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I appreciate Dave for being the realest fan of any team in the area.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The North Adams Green Devils handed the Trojans their 2nd consecutive home loss, as NA bested the Trojans 57-51. NA pretty much controlled the pace of the game, with a patient offense which resulted in effective dribble drive penetration for a kickout 3 (#14 had four 3's in the 1st half) or a backdoor layup. PHS fought back to take a 1 point lead in the 3rd quarter, but the Green Devils quickly regained control. PHS did again fight back, cutting the lead to 53-50 with 30 seconds to go. But NA clinched the game with FT's and raised their record to 12-3, while PHS dropped to 9-5 overall. 4 of the Trojans' 5 losses have come at home. DeAndre Berry led PHS with 17 points, and now has 1,031 for his career. Malachi Loper and Donnovan Breech had good scoring games as well. Branson Copas had a good game for NA.

Even with the latest struggles, PHS still controls its own destiny in the OVC. Currently 5-3 and in 5th place, Portsmouth plays all of the teams above them in the standings.......South Point, Chesapeake, Ironton, and Fairland are all on PHS's remaining schedule. First, though, they have to win at Coal Grove tomorrow, and the Hornets are tough on their home court. If PHS were to win out in the OVC games, they will do no worse than tie for 1st.

Can the Trojans right the ship? Absolutely, but they have to have more balanced scoring which hasn't been the case in a number of games especially some of the losses. Against Rock Hill and Gallia Academy this past week, DeAndre Berry accounted for 71 of 129 points. That's not a winning formula.

PHS has dropped 5 of the last 8 games after a strong 6-0 start. Hopefully we can things turned around starting this week. The Trojans have proven they are capable of playing some good basketball, but at the same time have shown the inconsistent play that has cost them of late.

GO TROJANS!!
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thank you, Swanker, and good luck to your Jeeps. SW has a great chance to make the Final 4 because of the schedule they play.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

What was also disappointing in the North Adams game was to lose on Basketball Alumni Night, with as many as 50+ former basketball Trojans that witnessed the game. It was great to see Coach Roger Merb represent the Class of 1959. There were alums from many different eras, and quite a few of them looked like they could lace up the shoes right now. I got to meet and greet a good number of these Trojans and talk Trojan basketball.

Coach Lisath and Jerald Gordon did a great job in organizing the event. The basketball alums were treated to a tour of the renovated locker room with pictures of Trojan greats who were recognized for a great achievement in their career, from scoring 30+ points in a game to making all-Ohio, to winning a state title. Coach Lisath spearheaded this locker room project. Jeff totally embraces the history, tradition, and expectations that come with being the Trojan head coach.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Like I said earlier on this thread,if your coach isn't telling the kids the state tournament is the goal ,you got the wrong coach.

I've seen teams play in the state tournament with 5 and less wins on the season, post season is a whole new season.

Some games you lose throughout the season due to injuries,illness etc.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:59 am I appreciate Dave for being the realest fan of any team in the area.

I second that.. always love the history he weaves into his takes.. good stuff.

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:20 pm Like I said earlier on this thread,if your coach isn't telling the kids the state tournament is the goal ,you got the wrong coach.

I've seen teams play in the state tournament with 5 and less wins on the season, post season is a whole new season.

Some games you lose throughout the season due to injuries,illness etc.
Teams seriously went approximately 5-15 (or worse) and made it to the final 4?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth continued its winning ways on the OVC road, as the Trojans bested a feisty Coal Grove Hornets 63-58 @CG. The Hornets scored 20 points in the 1st quarter, on the strength of about 4 trifectas. PHS trailed 20-19 after 1. PHS then defended the 3 pointer very well after that, and in fact their defense was very good, holding CG to 38 points the last 3 quarters. PHS's biggest lead was 9 points in the 2nd half, but the Hornets rallied to pull within 4 points with less than a minute to go. The Trojans did a good defensive job on 1,000 point scorer Owen Johnson, who had previously had games of 39 and 25 vs. PHS.

Isaiah Lewis had a good offensive game with 14 points, which included 3 trifectas. DeAndre Berry added 22, while Malachi Loper added 12. Berry now has 1,053 points in his career, while Loper is approaching the upper 800's.

Portsmouth is now 6-3 in the OVC, 4-0 on the road, and overall the Trojans are 10-5. The win marked the 86th time that a PHS team has won at least 10 games. The Trojans are tied with Ironton for 4th in the OVC. Portsmouth controls its own destiny in the OVC race, as Chesapeake, South Point, Fairland, and Ironton are all coming up on the schedule. Win out and they do no worse than a tie for 1st. 2 more wins and Portsmouth will have its 1st winning season since 2018, when PHS went 16-8. It would also be PHS's 81st winning season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

JV squad now 4-9 after the loss to Coal Grove. The team has been playing more competitive lately, but the main problem is scoring. The varsity loses 4 starters after this season, with only Malachi Loper returning. This group is essentially going to be the varsity team next season, and if PHS is going to seriously compete in the OVC and non-conference, a lot of work has to be done in the offseason. Coach Lisath and his staff will have a real challenge to get these Trojans to that level.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Now that DeAndre Berry has passed the 1,000 point mark for his career (currently at 1,053), there's another exclusive club that he will join if he continues scoring at his current pace. He would become the 18th player in Trojan history to average at least 20.0 PPG for a season. Right now he is averaging 25.3 PPG, which would put him with the 4th highest total all time. Here are the top 5 players in PPG in PHS history:

Damond Mannon (1992)........26.5 PPG
Tory Horne (2009)...............25.7 PPG
Larry Hisle (1965)...............25.5 PPG
Craig Tubbs (1979)..............24.5 PPG
Bo Clemens (1974)..............24.3 PPG

Every one of these players had multiple games of at least 30 points, but Berry and Larry Hisle are the only ones with games of 40 points or more. Berry has had 5 games of at least 30 points. He's had games of 30, 31, 31, 36, and 40 points.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is currently in a tie with Ironton for 4th in the OVC. The Trojans haven't finished higher than 5th since the 2017-2018 season, when PHS finished 4th. Here is all of Portsmouth's finishes in the OVC since it joined the conference in 2015:

2015: 1st
2016: 2nd (Fairland champion)
2017: 3rd (Fairland champion)
2018: 4th (Fairland champion)
2019: 7th (Fairland champion)
2020: 5th (Fairland champion)
2021: 6th (Fairland champion)
2022: 6th (Fairland champion)
2023: 6th (South Point champion)

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:44 pm JV squad now 4-9 after the loss to Coal Grove. The team has been playing more competitive lately, but the main problem is scoring. The varsity loses 4 starters after this season, with only Malachi Loper returning. This group is essentially going to be the varsity team next season, and if PHS is going to seriously compete in the OVC and non-conference, a lot of work has to be done in the offseason. Coach Lisath and his staff will have a real challenge to get these Trojans to that level.
Are We sure Loper will be returning? Genuinely asking

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:16 pm
trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:44 pm JV squad now 4-9 after the loss to Coal Grove. The team has been playing more competitive lately, but the main problem is scoring. The varsity loses 4 starters after this season, with only Malachi Loper returning. This group is essentially going to be the varsity team next season, and if PHS is going to seriously compete in the OVC and non-conference, a lot of work has to be done in the offseason. Coach Lisath and his staff will have a real challenge to get these Trojans to that level.
Lots to factor into this imo. I don’t know Loper or his family, with that being said I think it all depends on soccer. The whole reason he left Clay was because they didn’t have enough kids to field a soccer team. If numbers are up next year, I could see him returning to his home school to finish his playing career there, I assume the family lives in the Rosemount area? Add in the fact that Portsmouth likely won’t be very competitive in soccer or basketball next season. Could definitely see him finishing it out at Clay, but wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed either.

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:01 pm
Lots to factor into this imo. I don’t know Loper or his family, with that being said I think it all depends on soccer. The whole reason he left Clay was because they didn’t have enough kids to field a soccer team. If numbers are up next year, I could see him returning to his home school to finish his playing career there, I assume the family lives in the Rosemount area? Add in the fact that Portsmouth likely won’t be very competitive in soccer or basketball next season. Could definitely see him finishing it out at Clay, but wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed either.
I’m not up to date on the transfer rules, but is that allowed to happen?

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:01 pm

Return to “Boys Basketball”