Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth Trojans are beginning a new era in their storied history as 1978 alumnus Jeff Lisath is now the HC. Lisath brings many years of coaching experience to PHS, as he has amassed over 300 wins in his career, with stops at Columbus State, Chillicothe girls, Unioto, Piketon, and Dayton Northridge. Coach Lisath is a Trojan legend on the court, as he led PHS to the 1978 Class AA State Championship, scoring a total of 40 points in the 2 Final 4 games. His 22 points in the title game is a Trojan record that stands to this day. Jeff led Piketon to the school's only Final 4 appearance, that being in 2009. He also coached Northridge to 3 district titles and a regional runneup in 10 years, in the rugged SW district, after the school went 75 years without even a sectional title.

Lisath succeeds Eugene Collins, who had an outstanding career as HC from 2010-2023, compiling a very good record of 201--130 with back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, and a regional final in 2015.

The Trojans will have to replace at least 30 points from last season, as starters Devin Lattimore and Kenny Sanderlin combined for that total, and adding the loss of 6th man Tyler Duncan, who had several games in double figures with a high of 21. PHS does return 6-2 SR DeAndre Berry, who tallied 17 PPG last season, while being named to the SE All-District team. Berry has a versatile offensive game, with the ability to knock the 3 down or dribble drive to the hole. Berry is only 320 points shy of becoming the 12th player in PHS history to amass at least 1,000 points.

There is some talent in the cupboard, though.......6-2 SR Donovan Breech had some good offensive games last season, and he has tirelessly worked out this season to improve his game. 5-9 SR Isaiah Lewis will be the PG, and his skill set fits what Coach Lisath wants to do.....push the ball up the court as fast as possible. Lewis has shown the ability to finish at the basket and can hit the 3 when needed. 6-2 SR Noah Livingston was a rebounding machine last season, and his experience as a LB in football should enhance that skill. 6-5 JR Luke Stine gives Trojans a defensive presence in the paint, and he has improved offensively as well. 5-10 SR LeVaughn Cobb returns to give PHS a fierce defender, while 6-0 JR Jayden Brewer will provide some more defensive hustle. 6-5 SO Olynshay McKinley will add some size to the roster, while 6-0 JR LeMarcus Parker has some of the best handles in the program which will be much needed. Rounding out the varsity roster will be sophomores Dontavion Parker, Kaleb Johnson, Leland Scurlock, Marquez Locklear, Jason Starr, Tyshone Henderson,and Jonathan Carter. There have been a few freshmen working out with the JV/Varsity......Tyson Craft, Jay Lofton, Jayden Harrington, Fernando Poxes, and JJ Henderson.

***Forgot to include 5-10 JR Malachi Loper in this original post. Moved in from Portsmouth Clay after they dropped soccer. Malachi had a very good sophomore season at Clay, when he averaged 17 PPG and was named 1st team All-SOC I, and he also made the all SE district team in D4 as well. Malachi is a very steady player, makes good plays and few mistakes; his handles are good and he can knock down the 3 pointer. He will be a huge asset to the Trojans.

Coach Lisath wants to employ a run and press style of play......suffocate teams by defending the entire court, while on offense the goal is to get the ball up the court as fast as possible. Lisath is demanding that his players be in outstanding physical condition, and in the non-mandatory workouts just completed, the participation numbers were good and there was a lot of running......and a lot of running.......and a lot of running.

Lisath has an outstanding staff to help him; Aaron Smith, who was an assistant last season, Jimmy Stanley, Joe and Jeremy Greene, Kevin Monroe, Craig Massie, and Jerald Gordon. Smith, Stanley, the Greene's, Massie, and Gordon are all PHS graduates, while Monroe had an outstanding basketball career at Portsmouth East, playing for Rick Hopkins. Joe Greene and Monroe will coach the JH squads.

Coach Lisath will be trying to end several dubious marks......PHS hasn't won the OVC since 2015, haven't won a sectional title since 2017, haven't won a district title since 2015, and a regional title since 2012. His ultimate goal is to put a 5th state championship banner on the wall at PHS. Listen to him talk and you will believe.

Portsmouth's all time record stands at 1,496--830, with 64 sectional titles, 37 district titles, 15 state tournament appearances, with 4 state titles and 4 state runnerups. The Trojans have an all time state tournament record of 16-11, and are 8-1 in their last 9 state semifinal games.

GO TROJANS!!
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

wipala
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2023-24

Post by wipala »

trojandave,,,thank you so much for the update on our beloved trojans.
So looking forward to the season and how it all unfolds, especaily as we get
close to tourny time, by then coach system will be well groomed into the young
men.
Go Trojans

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:32 pm The Portsmouth Trojans are beginning a new era in their storied history as 1978 alumnus Jeff Lisath is now the HC. Lisath brings many years of coaching experience to PHS, as he has amassed over 300 wins in his career, with stops at Columbus State, Chillicothe girls, Unioto, Piketon, and Dayton Northridge. Coach Lisath is a Trojan legend on the court, as he led PHS to the 1978 Class AA State Championship, scoring a total of 40 points in the 2 Final 4 games. His 22 points in the title game is a Trojan record that stands to this day. Jeff led Piketon to the school's only Final 4 appearance, that being in 2009. He also coached Northridge to 3 district titles and a regional runneup in 10 years, in the rugged SW district, after the school went 75 years without even a sectional title.

Lisath succeeds Eugene Collins, who had an outstanding career as HC from 2010-2023, compiling a very good record of 201--130 with back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, and a regional final in 2015.

The Trojans will have to replace at least 30 points from last season, as starters Devin Lattimore and Kenny Sanderlin combined for that total, and adding the loss of 6th man Tyler Duncan, who had several games in double figures with a high of 21. PHS does return 6-2 SR DeAndre Berry, who tallied 17 PPG last season, while being named to the SE All-District team. Berry has a versatile offensive game, with the ability to knock the 3 down or dribble drive to the hole. Berry is only 320 points shy of becoming the 12th player in PHS history to amass at least 1,000 points.

There is some talent in the cupboard, though.......6-2 SR Donovan Breech had some good offensive games last season, and he has tirelessly worked out this season to improve his game. 5-9 SR Isaiah Lewis will be the PG, and his skill set fits what Coach Lisath wants to do.....push the ball up the court as fast as possible. Lewis has shown the ability to finish at the basket and can hit the 3 when needed. 6-2 SR Noah Livingston was a rebounding machine last season, and his experience as a LB in football should enhance that skill. 6-5 JR Luke Stine gives Trojans a defensive presence in the paint, and he has improved offensively as well. 5-10 SR LeVaughn Cobb returns to give PHS a fierce defender, while 6-0 JR Jayden Brewer will provide some more defensive hustle. 6-5 SO Olynshay McKinley will add some size to the roster, while 6-0 JR LeMarcus Parker has some of the best handles in the program which will be much needed. Rounding out the varsity roster will be sophomores Dontavion Parker and Leland Scurlock. There will most likely be several football players who will either play varsity or JV. One that could be a big help is 6-0 SO Marquez Locklear, who was the backup QB in football.

... trojandave, what is the PHS scrimmage preseason matchups? do you have the who they play, where, when, times you can share? I don't usually get to too many preseason scrimmages due to my day job and the time I spend traveling during the regular season BUT there are TEAMS I want to get eyes on early - the Trojans with the new philosophy is one of them ...
Coach Lisath wants to employ a run and press style of play......suffocate teams by defending the entire court, while on offense the goal is to get the ball up the court as fast as possible. Lisath is demanding that his players be in outstanding physical condition, and in the non-mandatory workouts just completed, the participation numbers were good and there was a lot of running......and a lot of running.......and a lot of running.

Lisath has an outstanding staff to help him; Aaron Smith, who was an assistant last season, Jimmy Stanley, Joe and Jeremy Greene, Kevin Monroe, Craig Massie, and Jerald Gordon. Smith, Stanley, the Greene's, Massie, and Gordon are all PHS graduates, while Monroe had an outstanding basketball career at Portsmouth East, playing for Rick Hopkins. Joe Greene and Monroe will coach the JH squads.

Coach Lisath will be trying to end several dubious marks......PHS hasn't won the OVC since 2015, haven't won a sectional title since 2017, haven't won a district title since 2015, and a regional title since 2012. His ultimate goal is to put a 5th state championship banner on the wall at PHS. Listen to him talk and you will believe.

Portsmouth's all time record stands at 1,496--830, with 64 sectional titles, 37 district titles, 15 state tournament appearances, with 4 state titles and 4 state runnerups. The Trojans have an all time state tournament record of 16-11, and are 8-1 in their last 9 state semifinal games.

GO TROJANS!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

" Coach Lisath has scheduled scrimmages at Oxford Talawanda, at Dayton Northridge, and home vs. South Webster." I knew you had posted them on the other thread - the who the Trojans where playing, just didn't know the when, where, times for these preseason matchups ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I edited my post above to include Malachi Loper.......that's what happens when I try to go by memory alone without any written roster. I also included Landon Malone in my post.....omitted him also. My apologies......the post above should now include everyone from sophomore above who will make up the main pool of players available.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Post deleted.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Here is the complete schedule for the Portsmouth Trojans:

11/11 Scrimmage vs. Oxford Talawanda
11/24 Scrimmage @ Dayton Northridge
11/25 OVC Preview TBA
11/27 Scrimmage vs. South Webster 5:30 PM

Regular Season: All games are 6:00 JV/ 7:30 varsity unless otherwise indicated

12/5 H Lawrence County, KY
12/8 H Notre Dame
12/12 A Rock Hill
12/15 A Gallia Academy
12/19 H Coal Grove
12/22 H Dayton Stivers
12/27 H North Adams
12/29 A Wheelersburg
1/5 H Chesapeake
1/9 A Ironton
1/12 H South Point
1/13 A Columbus Linden McKinley @ Shawnee State Time TBA
1/16 A Minford
1/19 H Fairland
1/23 H Rock Hill
1/26 H Gallia Academy
1/30 A Coal Grove
2/2 A Chesapeake
2/3 H Portsmouth West
2/6 H Ironton
2/9 A South Point
2/13 A Fairland

Keep in mind that Coach Lisath will beef up the non-conference schedule in 2024-25. Look for some teams, mostly city schools outside the SE district on next year's schedule. Look for Chillicothe to be on the non-conference slate.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Definitely think this squad is capable of posting double digit wins, towards the upper teens. Disappointing season last year, but another year of experience, a few nice pieces were added, new coach and scheme, could be a special season. 100% believe it will be better than last season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I agree about your forecast for the season, BuckeyeBlood. Only 3 days into Coach Lisath's system and the players are learning what is a new system to them......conditioning, defending the whole court, and playing fast on offense is quite an adjustment for them. Still 1 month until the 1st game, and I really believe Trojan fans will enjoy the product that Jeff will put on the court. He has talent, depth, and size to work with.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The long post above has been edited a number of times due to kids who played football and have decided to play. They are allowed a few days rest due to the wear and tear of a football season.

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

trojandave do you know the start time for the varsity scrimmage on Saturday? Do you plan on making the long trip to Oxford?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Real Time: I'm not making the trip, just too long for a scrimmage. I think the scrimmage starts at around 5:00 PM due to Coach Lisath taking the team to watch the Miami Redhawks (his alma mater) play basketball vs. Texas State. The game is listed to start at 11:00 AM

I found out today that there will be no attendance allowed at any Portsmouth home scrimmages. Probably due to the problems at the Lady Trojans vs. Reynoldsburg scrimmage last Saturday. I won't go into any specifics about it.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Don't have a lot of details,but the Trojans won all 4 quarters against Oxford talawanda today

Real Time
Freshman Team

Post by Real Time »

Trojans looked good for the 1st time out under Coach Lisath. I had them playing 5 quarters and winning all 5. 2 of the quarters were with in 1 score under a minute and the Trojans D came up big with stops each time. Just some napkin notes Berry lead the team in scoring (29) and showed off his passing ability, and Loper made himself right at home with his ability to score the basketball and play solid D, Lewis, Breech and Stine all contributing to the scoring. I had 8 different Trojans with a tally mark in the scoring column with 10 different players seeing the floor. Defensively they got after it, good ball pressure with several deflections and forced a number of turnovers. I thought they communicated well on the floor and played as a unit. It will be exciting to see how this team improves each week under Coach Lisath.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

My prayers going out to TrojanDave! Godspeed for your recovery!

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:32 pm Don't have a lot of details,but the Trojans won all 4 quarters against Oxford talawanda today
I think I heard Varsity & JV won all quarters and freshman had a decent showing. I was told Loper even won one of those quarters for us. Looks like he’s fitting right in. I’m waiting to see how Parker fits in with this group, I hear he was sick last week so he didn’t attend school a couple days. I’m most excited about defense. Someone told me at church, that at one point in the scrimmage Lisath’s full court press cause 6-7 straight turnovers and we went on a 15/16- 0 run. Trojandave has told us this will be a different team defensively, I’m anxious to see them in action.
Praying for ya, TrojanDave.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks to everybody for their prayers and concerns.......I am out of the hospital, but have been diagnosed with A-Fib, which basically is also known as an irregular heartbeat. It has happened rarely in my case but I got it checked out and now have medication to help control any future flare ups.

As far as the Talawanda scrimmage, I didn't go but am really pleased that the Trojans did well. In practice, Coach Lisath preaches defense first and it looks like the players carried that priority into the scrimmage. Very simple......if you don't play D, you don't play!!

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Trojandave, prayers. I have afib myself and have had since 2014. 5 heart shocks, ablation and 4 different anti arymthia drugs and I still can't stay in rhythm. Take blood thinner and drug to slow my rate down. Doing good, no major flare ups for quite awhile.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Dave, that is great news! You are a true Trojan thru and thru and Im sure all the true Trojans fans are behind you here! Keep doing your thing and one day at a time Brother TrojanDave! God Bless you!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

peake71 and Prime Time: Thanks for your prayers and support. It sure is a good thing to be out of the hospital. I will say publicly that SOMC did a great job of examining and treating my condition. Very thorough on every aspect before they discharged me.

Return to “Boys Basketball”