SOC 1,2,3 Rankings

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Re: SOC 1,2,3 Rankings

Post by Lovehoops1 »

They will have the same issues and drama and bad attitude with a player they had last year. Nothing has changed.

Ghostoftheprodigy
Waterboy

Post by Ghostoftheprodigy »

Coach p is refusing to start one of the better players in jack timthoty till he learns the American style of basketball

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

I have been holding off on putting anything out until I have had the opportunity to watch most of the teams play this year. Prior to the end of football season, I would have said that it SOC was Minford's to lose. Seeing their roster and their lack of depth, I do not think that is the case anymore.

Minford - Perhaps 2 of the best players in the league are on the this team in Montgomery and Keyser. They should really be fun to watch, and they are only Juniors! Shoemaker will need to have a very solid year and I hope that his knee is back to 100%. Outside of those three, Minford is going to struggle. I do not think they will ever struggle to score (outside of a bad shooting night, which can definitely happen in high school), I think they will struggle to defend and rebound. Pica can provide a little boast here and there, but their bench is very weak. Not a knock on the kids, as they seem to play hard, just not much talent there. I do believe that this will cost them a game or two, and maybe even a deep tournament run. Every game they will be a few fouls away from being very limited to what they can do.

Valley - Copley will lead the way in a very young but talented group. I think they are athletic enough to beat anyone on any given night, but they will struggle matching up and defending. Copley is good enough to score 30 points a night, and some nights that will be enough to get the win, but other nights they are going to need one of their young kids (sophomores) to stop up.

South Webster - This is the team with the most potential, just remains to be seen how they gel with the new coach and with each other. Roberts could potentially take over every game and be the best player in the league - but at some point we have to stop saying "potentially" and we have to see it.Off the court, he seems like a really likable kid - I really hope he figures it out this year. They definitely have the most weapons in the league, but that means nothing if they are not working together. I expect them to make a significant run in the D4 tournament, which by the end of the year could very easily be a state title contender - just too many wild cards out there for me to be sold on that right now. The way to beat them would be to get up all in them defensively , be physical with them, and frustrate them.

Waverly - Haven't seen them play since last year, so not much to go on. They had a pair of young solid guards and I would expect them to be slightly improved from last year. Unless they have some new roster additions, I do not see them competing for a league title this year.

Wheelersburg - Speed and athleticism is going to be there go to. Outside of Swords (6'3") they do not a have a true big man, which could cause matchup problems, but in going small may cause matchup problems for opposing teams as well. As with most Burg teams, we won't really see what they have until a little later int he month or January , as they have only practiced for a little over a week. I caught their scrimmage with Spring Valley on Wednesday and was really impressed with how they defended and ran the floor. Lattimore is a nice addition, and the 5 sophomores that are playing do not seem to play like sophomores. They look to be able to go 8-9 deep.

West - I expect this to be a down year for West. The lack of "basketball" players will hurt them. I know they have some good athletes, but I do not feel that they can compete on nightly basis with the top teams in the league. They'll play hard and physical, but I do not see them matching up well with Minford, Webster and Burg.

End of year standing prediction:

1 - Webster
T-2 Minford
T-2 Burg
3 - Valley
4 - Waverly
5 - West

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

DcP3407 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:23 am I have been holding off on putting anything out until I have had the opportunity to watch most of the teams play this year. Prior to the end of football season, I would have said that it SOC was Minford's to lose. Seeing their roster and their lack of depth, I do not think that is the case anymore.

Minford - Perhaps 2 of the best players in the league are on the this team in Montgomery and Keyser. They should really be fun to watch, and they are only Juniors! Shoemaker will need to have a very solid year and I hope that his knee is back to 100%. Outside of those three, Minford is going to struggle. I do not think they will ever struggle to score (outside of a bad shooting night, which can definitely happen in high school), I think they will struggle to defend and rebound. Pica can provide a little boast here and there, but their bench is very weak. Not a knock on the kids, as they seem to play hard, just not much talent there. I do believe that this will cost them a game or two, and maybe even a deep tournament run. Every game they will be a few fouls away from being very limited to what they can do.

Valley - Copley will lead the way in a very young but talented group. I think they are athletic enough to beat anyone on any given night, but they will struggle matching up and defending. Copley is good enough to score 30 points a night, and some nights that will be enough to get the win, but other nights they are going to need one of their young kids (sophomores) to stop up.

South Webster - This is the team with the most potential, just remains to be seen how they gel with the new coach and with each other. Roberts could potentially take over every game and be the best player in the league - but at some point we have to stop saying "potentially" and we have to see it.Off the court, he seems like a really likable kid - I really hope he figures it out this year. They definitely have the most weapons in the league, but that means nothing if they are not working together. I expect them to make a significant run in the D4 tournament, which by the end of the year could very easily be a state title contender - just too many wild cards out there for me to be sold on that right now. The way to beat them would be to get up all in them defensively , be physical with them, and frustrate them.

Waverly - Haven't seen them play since last year, so not much to go on. They had a pair of young solid guards and I would expect them to be slightly improved from last year. Unless they have some new roster additions, I do not see them competing for a league title this year.

Wheelersburg - Speed and athleticism is going to be there go to. Outside of Swords (6'3") they do not a have a true big man, which could cause matchup problems, but in going small may cause matchup problems for opposing teams as well. As with most Burg teams, we won't really see what they have until a little later int he month or January , as they have only practiced for a little over a week. I caught their scrimmage with Spring Valley on Wednesday and was really impressed with how they defended and ran the floor. Lattimore is a nice addition, and the 5 sophomores that are playing do not seem to play like sophomores. They look to be able to go 8-9 deep.

West - I expect this to be a down year for West. The lack of "basketball" players will hurt them. I know they have some good athletes, but I do not feel that they can compete on nightly basis with the top teams in the league. They'll play hard and physical, but I do not see them matching up well with Minford, Webster and Burg.

End of year standing prediction:

1 - Webster
T-2 Minford
T-2 Burg
3 - Valley
4 - Waverly
5 - West
DcP3407
That’s spot on. Very good insight. There’s going to be some tough nights on the road in the SOC3 this season.
SW prob goes 7-8 deep but they are pretty equal in talent, except for ER, and work ethic may never catch up with potential.
Burg is prob the deepest, but young. Valley will match anyone with athleticism and talent and minford has the two best players returning from last years campaign

It will be a fun season to watch for sure

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Webster is playing with absolutely INSANE hustle tonight at Green

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

59-32 Jeeps end of three

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:06 pm Webster is playing with absolutely INSANE hustle tonight at Green
It sounds like coach P has their attention

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Roberts looked like a whole new person out there. You love to see it.

KeyserSoze_Deux
Waterboy

Post by KeyserSoze_Deux »

Heard the technical on Roberts was pretty weak, but also heard the ref that issued it is one of the worst around. Thinks he's God but nobody can stand him. Good to hear about Eli overcoming that and having such a good game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

KeyserSoze_Deux wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:29 pm Heard the technical on Roberts was pretty weak, but also heard the ref that issued it is one of the worst around. Thinks he's God but nobody can stand him. Good to hear about Eli overcoming that and having such a good game.
Without seeing it or even knowing who the official is, that doesn’t surprise me. I doubt Norm would’ve played him again if it was something deserved. There are officials that have preconceived notions about players or coaches and will ring them up quickly, especially early in a season.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:05 pm
KeyserSoze_Deux wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:29 pm Heard the technical on Roberts was pretty weak, but also heard the ref that issued it is one of the worst around. Thinks he's God but nobody can stand him. Good to hear about Eli overcoming that and having such a good game.
Without seeing it or even knowing who the official is, that doesn’t surprise me. I doubt Norm would’ve played him again if it was something deserved. There are officials that have preconceived notions about players or coaches and will ring them up quickly, especially early in a season.
This is false! yelling in another kids face with the official directly in the line of sight? Have no idea what was said but KNOWING who the official was I doubt it wasn't warranted.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Harambe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:53 am
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:05 pm
This is false! yelling in another kids face with the official directly in the line of sight? Have no idea what was said but KNOWING who the official was I doubt it wasn't warranted.
I wasn’t there, but have heard who was the official who T’d the player. I agree, he is a good official

When is taunting not a penalty? Again, I didn’t see the play, but what is described is taunting, then this is the penalty

KeyserSoze_Deux
Waterboy

Post by KeyserSoze_Deux »

Actually, no, the official who gave that T is NOT a good official at all. Not even close. Even worse person so I am told.

Whether or not it was deserved, nobody cares.

Same official believe did the South Webster game today in Ironton Classic, or maybe Minford game IDK and IDC.

Either way, the guy sucks.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

The one who T’d Eli up at green didn’t ref any games today. Don’t know his name don’t matter anymore, Roberts is 100% not the kid he was last year and everyone whose watched this season will agree. He’s not the hot head on the team anymore

SOCFalconFan
Waterboy

Post by SOCFalconFan »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 pm The one who T’d Eli up at green didn’t ref any games today. Don’t know his name don’t matter anymore, Roberts is 100% not the kid he was last year and everyone whose watched this season will agree. He’s not the hot head on the team anymore
Roberts immaturity was the only thing holding him back. If that’s changed he will be a force. Webster v. Minford will be a fun game to watch.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 pm The one who T’d Eli up at green didn’t ref any games today. Don’t know his name don’t matter anymore, Roberts is 100% not the kid he was last year and everyone whose watched this season will agree. He’s not the hot head on the team anymore
He done the Minford game.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:43 pm
He done the Minford game.
Nah you’re right. Now that I remember, he was giving the minford cheerleaders some props.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly with wins over Northwest, Eastern and Western to finish 6-2 before Christmas. The Tigers will wrap up the 2023 schedule at Piketon next Friday, looking to sweep Pike County before entering league play.

basketballmind
Waterboy

Post by basketballmind »

Who is everyone’s top 3 in each SOC as we get close to Christmas?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

SW
Minford
Burg
I’ve watched Minford multiple times as much as anyone. I think vs Webster it’s likely to be a split this year, possible sweep by the Jeeps, I don’t see minford beating webster twice. Minford goes 6 deep. Webster 8+. Roberts and Sommer can go toe to toe scoring with Montgomery and Keyser. From there on I like Timothy, Shupert and Campbell. Just my opinion. If anyone of the Falcons caught foul trouble early, I don’t think it’d be pretty.

I’ll split Northwest and Western
Northwest super inconsistent but can get it done. Odd how they took Webster to the wire, then got handled by Waverly. Western just took a good Burg team to the wire.

. Did Tomlinson quit beaver?

Haven’t heard much of anything from SOC1.

Return to “Boys Basketball”