Twin State League Boys Hoops

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Re: Twin State League Boys Hoops

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Curious as to why Marietta and warren are in the OVAC if they are interested in playing in the tournament?

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

1/30
Marietta 53 - Point Pleasant 31
Warren 73 - Fort Frye 35

2/2
Meigs @ Marietta
Point Pleasant @ Nitro
Shenandoah @ Fort Frye

2/3
Marietta @ Vinton County

Current Standings
(1) Marietta (5-1, 15-2)
(1) Warren (5-1, 14-3)
(3) Fort Frye (1-5, 9-8)
(3) Point Pleasant (1-5, 6-9)

TSL play wraps up tomorrow night and barring a major upset, Marietta and Warren are going to split the title again this season. While the Tigers have two important SE district matchups vs Meigs and at Vinton County, it's a quiet end of the week for Warren. If Marietta plays to the best of their ability, I see them winning both. Fort Frye also with a game against former PVC foe Shenandoah. The Cadets are playing well as of late, so I see them getting a win.
Last edited by pioneer19 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pioneer19 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:05 pm 1/30
Marietta @ Point Pleasant
Fort Frye @ Warren

2/2
Meigs @ Marietta
Point Pleasant @ Nitro
Shenandoah @ Fort Frye

2/3
Marietta @ Vinton County

Current Standings
(1) Marietta (4-1, 14-2)
(1) Warren (4-1, 13-3)
(3) Fort Frye (1-4, 9-7)
(3) Point Pleasant (1-4, 6-8)

TSL play wraps up tomorrow night and barring a major upset, Marietta and Warren are going to split the title again this season. While the Tigers have two important SE district matchups vs Meigs and at Vinton County, it's a quiet end of the week for Warren. If Marietta plays to the best of their ability, I see them winning both. Fort Frye also with a game against former PVC foe Shenandoah. The Cadets are playing well as of late, so I see them getting a win.
Upsets happen all the time, but Warren and Marietta should be able to prevail Tuesday night. I wouldn't be surprised if Marietta splits this weekend. I agree Pioneer that if the Tigers play their best they will win. At their best (doesn't happen all that often) I believe Marietta is best in the Southeast. But when they don't play consistently they are vulnerable. We'll see.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:27 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:05 pm 1/30
Marietta @ Point Pleasant
Fort Frye @ Warren

2/2
Meigs @ Marietta
Point Pleasant @ Nitro
Shenandoah @ Fort Frye

2/3
Marietta @ Vinton County

Current Standings
(1) Marietta (4-1, 14-2)
(1) Warren (4-1, 13-3)
(3) Fort Frye (1-4, 9-7)
(3) Point Pleasant (1-4, 6-8)

Upsets happen all the time, but Warren and Marietta should be able to prevail Tuesday night. I wouldn't be surprised if Marietta splits this weekend. I agree Pioneer that if the Tigers play their best they will win. At their best (doesn't happen all that often) I believe Marietta is best in the Southeast. But when they don't play consistently they are vulnerable. We'll see.
Agreed. Meigs is a solid team and if Marietta plays poorly, they could easily lose that game. I still see Marietta beating the Marauders. Vinton County is the matchup that worries me more. If Vinton County is at their best, they can go toe to toe with Marietta at their best. The fact that they just lost to Fed Hock though tells me they may not be playing as well right now. I guess in response to your post in the D2 thread, if a Meigs or Jackson beat the Tigers, I would consider it an upset. Not sure that would be the case with Vinton County.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Fort Frye hosts Dover next Tuesday in the first OVAC consolation game. Not sure the thought process behind that decision, but good luck to Fort.

Cadets also travel to Barnesville on 2/9.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pioneer19 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:28 am Fort Frye hosts Dover next Tuesday in the first OVAC consolation game. Not sure the thought process behind that decision, but good luck to Fort.

Uh that Dover game is a head scratcher. I wonder if they even asked FF or just matched them with them because they didn't have another option.

Go Blue
Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Whs95fan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:47 am
pioneer19 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:28 am Fort Frye hosts Dover next Tuesday in the first OVAC consolation game. Not sure the thought process behind that decision, but good luck to Fort.

Uh that Dover game is a head scratcher. I wonder if they even asked FF or just matched them with them because they didn't have another option.
I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think the OVAC gives schools a choice on the consolation games. I think the basketball committee jusr matches them up. My guess is since Warren and Marietta are participating in of the OVAC tourney/consilation games. That didn’t leave very many big schools left to match teams up with, and Dover had already played one of them I believe.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

2/2 Scores

Marietta (16-2) 69 - Meigs 40

Fort Frye (10-8) 55 - Shenandoah 44

Nitro 58 - Point Pleasant (6-10) 43

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Marietta vs Spire Institute this Friday. Maxpreps has them at (2-9) but they've played a brutal schedule. I know Lamelo Ball played there a few years back but not sure if they have a separate prep team. Anyone know anything about them?

paging @IVCHAWKS Looks like they lost to Hiland by 4.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:43 pm Marietta vs Spire Institute this Friday. Maxpreps has them at (2-9) but they've played a brutal schedule. I know Lamelo Ball played there a few years back but not sure if they have a separate prep team. Anyone know anything about them?

paging @IVCHAWKS Looks like they lost to Hiland by 4.
There is no way to know what kind of team Spire will bring. If they bring some/most of their best it could be a 30 point game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”