Logan basketball

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Logan basketball

Post by OldskoolWarrior »

What has happened to Logan basketball? Is it lack of players or coaching? Their youth leagues seem to do well. Are the kids losing interest or specializing their sports?

boss8
JV Team

Re: Logan basketball

Post by boss8 »

They got absolutely curb stomped by Marietta last night. Just could not score, totally overwhelmed. Pretty shocking.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:36 pm What has happened to Logan basketball? Is it lack of players or coaching? Their youth leagues seem to do well. Are the kids losing interest or specializing their sports?
Scheduling...

Their first two opponents are pretty good...

It is so unfortunate that they are DI. In reality, they are just like any other DII school in the Southeast District. It is more unfortunate that they are forced to play other DI out of the Central District. It may be a long year for Coach Bell and his young Chieftains. I wish them nothing but the best...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:52 pm
OldskoolWarrior wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:36 pm What has happened to Logan basketball? Is it lack of players or coaching? Their youth leagues seem to do well. Are the kids losing interest or specializing their sports?
Scheduling...

It is so unfortunate that they are DI. In reality, they are just like any other DII school in the Southeast District. It is more unfortunate that they are forced to play other DI out of the Central District. It may be a long year for Coach Bell and his young Chieftains. I wish them nothing but the best...
Surely Logan will drop to D2 when the division expansion happens. That should help a ton. Although, teams like VC, Unioto, Logan Elm etc will probably drop a division as well. There won’t be a ton of D2 teams in the se district but there will be more than just 1, which is what’s hurting Logan currently in D1.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan schedule this week (no games this weekend):

Tuesday ... @ Canal Winchester
Wednesday ... vs Whitehall Yearling (LHS home opener
Friday ... @ Warren
Saturday ... vs Athens
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:46 pm
Scheduling...

Surely Logan will drop to D2 when the division expansion happens. That should help a ton. Although, teams like VC, Unioto, Logan Elm etc will probably drop a division as well. There won’t be a ton of D2 teams in the se district but there will be more than just 1, which is what’s hurting Logan currently in D1.
Logan really needs this expansion to only be 5 divisions. They would be very competitive most years in a D2 SE District with Marietta, Athens, Chillicothe, Jackson, etc. If the basketball tourney truly goes to 7 divisions like what was posted on here, Logan will once again be on an island even in D2.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Scheduling...

Good thing 7 divisions is coming next year.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 pm
Scheduling...

Which SE district schools will be D2 in a 7 division format? Logan. Possibly Chillicothe. Miami Trace? Sure, it would get Logan away from the very large D1 Columbus area schools, but they'd still be playing in the Central District assuming districts are kept intact and they don't go to a regional format like football.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pioneer19 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:07 am
EasternDspy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 pm

Scheduling...

Which SE district schools will be D2 in a 7 division format? Logan. Possibly Chillicothe. Miami Trace? Sure, it would get Logan away from the very large D1 Columbus area schools, but they'd still be playing in the Central District assuming districts are kept intact and they don't go to a regional format like football.
... and Logan will STILL BE in the OCC playing half their season vs current D1 schools out of the C'bus area ... the divisional reshuffling will only have an effect on WHO Logan plays in the post season (divisionally) ...I'm going to get my first look at Logan this week - Wednesday vs Columbus Yearling at the Reservation in Logan ...

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I left some of my files at home, but I think last season was Logan's lowest season point total in well over 50 years. It might be the lowest back into the 1920s.

And of course on a per game basis I'm sure it was the lowest in school history.

Seems like the Chiefs lack scoring power again this year from the little bit I've been able to see.

I understand there is some talent in the lower levels and know Coach Bell will get the best out of his kids. But might be a year or two away from being pretty good.

And absolutely the change in divisions will help Logan. Playing DeSales, St. Charles, Westerville South, and Big Walnut won't be easy, but it's much more manageable than playing Gahanna, Reynoldsburg, Newark, Upper Arlington, Coffman, and Pickerington Central.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan basketball is just fine. They have a coach who is actually coaching them and has the fire to lead them in every situation. It was just a few seasons ago Logan went 22-3 and 17-5. Logan graduated 6 seniors last season and came back this year with 1 full time starter this year. Lack of experience and the schedule they have would be a test for any team in the same situation. The Chiefs have 2 seniors on the varsity roster in 2023 and have a solid freshman class, one of which is the starting PG. In 2016 Logan started three sophomores (Bell, Bell and Myers) after graduating 4 seniors and that group went 39-8 over 2 seasons. Everyone knows things happen in cycles. This group will have to grow up quickly bc next years scheduled is even more daunting than this year with every team in the OCC going to be a major test.

Live Like A Champion!
E High
All State

Post by E High »

The Logan’s. Chilly. Zanesville Dover Marietta Warren. A few others will benefit with 6-7 divisions. They will never succeed in the tournament in the current setup.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Well we know they are not specializing on football. I'd say its a down run of athletes, it happens.

Return to “Boys Basketball”