Wellston (0-3)
Reedsville Eastern (0-3)
Alexander (0-2)
Crooksville (0-1)
Miller (1-1)
Portsmouth East (1-0)
Portsmouth Clay (0-3)
West Union (0-3)

... as always, the rankings are to start conversation throughout the season about the 72 teams , 4 divisions in the SouthEast District whether you agree with the rankings or feel otherwise ... give your opinion, always best to back it up with information supporting your point of view ... the first couple of weeks are the most difficult as the Preseason rankings were only a "starting point" ... some teams made large jumps simply because I was wrong in my "starting point" for the team in the preseason rankings ... that's on me ... this ranking for Week 1.5 is closer, by the end of this week - I should have teams close to where they should be based on play on the court/the eye test ... please give me any corrections in the records for teams listed ... I'll start trying to verify records using MaxPreps (I hope they do a better job with the records than they do with the rosters for teams ...)
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 1.5

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

5. Fairland
6. Minford
7. SP
8. Webster
9. NA

Jackson 2-2 losses to PW (40th) and Hillsboro (25)

Having watched all these teams the past two days I think Fairland is the better of them. I think Webster could handle SP and Minford but we’ll let them have those spots until proven otherwise. SW matches up with minford 2x and Fairland at Alexander in few weeks.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Great start. Manchester is pretty good. Keep an eye on em.

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

This week will tell us a lot about Jackson (2-2). They play both Washington Courthouse and Miami Trace away, then Unioto at home.
Jackson's 2 losses are by a combined 5 pts, 1 of which was a spectacular trey at the buzzer by Hillsboro. Make or break week for Jackson.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

bc181700 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:46 am This week will tell us a lot about Jackson (2-2). They play both Washington Courthouse and Miami Trace away, then Unioto at home.
Jackson's 2 losses are by a combined 5 pts, 1 of which was a spectacular trey at the buzzer by Hillsboro. Make or break week for Jackson.
Wow! Early in the season for such big week! Good luck.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Looks to be a very competitive D2 field with lots of movement already at the top. Only a few games into the season but I think you can start to get a feel especially over the course of the next week what direction a team is headed. Warren is actually 2-1 on the season Pfloyd with wins over Morgan and Gallia and that lone loss to Linsly.

Go Blue
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Jackson always up there in top 20 or so and their usually just average...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:44 am Looks to be a very competitive D2 field with lots of movement already at the top. Only a few games into the season but I think you can start to get a feel especially over the course of the next week what direction a team is headed. Warren is actually 2-1 on the season Pfloyd with wins over Morgan and Gallia and that lone loss to Linsly.
... I knew that Whs95fan! dang ... I actually did a initial "first weekend" ranking ... then did a "second" ranking after the first full week & weekend ... the big board gets very confusing LOL ... thank you for correcting me - I need "guided" these days ... I edited the record ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #1.5

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Where is I92

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

You have Meigs listed twice…41st and 54th

Old man
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:14 pm Where is I92
I thought the same thing.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think the Shermans will make their way back up, but this was a rough weekend and a deserved drop.

Fairland and Minford are both outstanding and I think will move up throughout the year.

Washington put it on Jackson tonight, they’ve been impressive so far this season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Sportsfanallnitelong wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:31 pm You have Meigs listed twice…41st and 54th
... thank you , I kept wondering how I had 73 teams instead of 72! I had also completely left off Logan Elm from the rankings! I THINK everything is semi-normal now LOL ... I'm going to fire someone on the "committee of one" - heads will roll !!! ... thanks again for the correction ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

After last night's results, the rankings are "closer" to having teams where they should be at this point in the season ... as I recorded scores on the big board last night there were a couple of teams that were too low still that the "committee of one" has an asterisk beside to get them where they need to be as the season moves forward ... just as I have a couple of teams a little high based on "past opponents" results vs comparable competition ... I'LL GET IT THERE !!!

Braves87
Freshman Team

Post by Braves87 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:33 am
Sportsfanallnitelong wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:31 pm You have Meigs listed twice…41st and 54th
... thank you , I kept wondering how I had 73 teams instead of 72! I had also completely left off Logan Elm from the rankings! I THINK everything is semi-normal now LOL ... I'm going to fire someone on the "committee of one" - heads will roll !!! ... thanks again for the correction ...
I wasn’t going to say anything Pfloyd lol. It’s early in the season. LE had a really nice ceremony before the game last night honoring Brad (Bman). Coach Dropsey picked up his first win as Head Coach over the Team in Town (Circleville) 35-31. Also, the first win in the new Braves gym! Looking forward to seeing you sometime this year.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Having already seen up close and personal 6 of your top 10, there are not 7 teams better than Fairland.

I also think South Gallia and Belpre are too low, IMO.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe 68
Greenup County 47

Whoa.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 39
Whitehall Yearling 44 a final

Whitehall moves to 1-3 , Logan 0-4 on the season ... after dropping 2 "running clock" opening games to Vinton County & Marietta ... the Chiefs played a winless Canal Winchester team closer, taking a lead into the 2nd half ... the Chiefs gave up 39 2nd half points to CW to lose 43-59 ... tonight at Jim's Gym , Logan played the Rams of Whitehall Yearling tough - Logan struggled in the opening quarter to score and defend the perimeter as WH took a 15-9 lead into the 2nd period ... Logan got 3 pointers from Jack Walsh (2 in the half)/Owen Bell and Kohen Maynard (2 in the half) - 15 points in the 2nd while holding WH to 11 points ... Whitehall 26 Logan 24 at intermission ... neither team made good decisions with the ball in the 3rd - each with 5 turnovers apiece ... 3 of Logan's miscues in the 3rd were long passes the length of the court trying to beat the WH pressure - poor decision making with the ball - youngsters (at least young to the varsity level) ... LHS got 6 points from soph Owen Bell while Yearling picked up 3 pts from leading scorer Reggie Bagley (18 for the game)... WH led 33 -31 after 3 ... in the final qtr Yearling led 33-31 at 7:16 on the clock ... Logan trailed 38-31 following a DJ Harris trey and Reggie Bagley shot on the blocks ... a Sawyer Magdich 3 ball brought the Chiefs within 4 (34-38 with 4:54 to play) ... the Rams ran clock, getting 2 pts "and one" from Dyontae Johnson to push the score to 41-37 following a 3 from Logan freshman - Daniel Bauers at :59.5 to play ... Whitehall went 3/4 from the line to stretch the lead to 7pts in the closing minute of play ... as the time ran out LHS jr Jackson Stimmel added a putback bucket for the Chiefs ... Whitehall Yearling 44 Logan 39 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Logan

Scoring ... Owen Bell 11, Kohen Maynard 8, Jack Walsh 6, Sawyer Magdich 5, Daniel Bauers 5, Jackson Stimmel 4
3 Pointers ... 8/28 ... Jack Walsh 2, Owen Bell 2, Kohen Maynard 2, Sawyer Magdich 1, Daniel Bauers 1
FTs ... 5/10
TO's...16
PnP ... 5 fgs/ 10 points in the paint
PnT ... 0
Pbk ... 2 fgs/4 points on putback buckets

... from the Cheap Seats ... the Chiefs look like a team that is "trying to get comfortable with the speed of the varsity game" ... no real size in the post for Logan - yet a lot of time is spent "looking into the post" - trying to get into the paint with the ball offensively ... the Chiefs HAVE 3 point shooters at every position on the floor , 5 different players hit the 3 ball vs Whitehall ... there WERE open looks on the perimeter, passed up - "looking to go inside" ... you could see the "thinking" about putting it up / hesitation in making the pass - but "thinking - I better try to get it inside " ... Chiefs are looking to find an offensive identity - youngsters still thinking vs reacting and just playing the game ... Chiefs are getting closer! ... there's a difference between playing JV vs playing Varsity (speed/strength, length, talent) - the youngsters are "figuring it out with on the job training" ... making good decisions with the ball - not trying to "hit the home run" - sometimes treating each possession like they are gold (just get it in, run your offense) will go a long way to start with ... Coach Bell will get things worked out! the youngsters are improving each time out ! they'll start thinking less, and start getting the feel of the varsity game ... Warren Friday @ the Warrior Coliseum , then back home with Athens on Saturday ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Whitehall

Scoring ... Reggie Bagley 18, DJ Harris 12, Dyontae Johnson 6, Sam Mbaye 4, Victor Littleton 2, S. Jackson 2
3 Pointers ... 6/19 ... Reggie Bagley 3, DJ Harris 3
FTs ... 6/15
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 10 fgs/ 20 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points on putback buckets
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 pm Chillicothe 68
Greenup County 47

Whoa.
Chillicothe has found their rhythm the last two games against greenfield and Greenup county. Top 3 scorers are two freshman and a Sophomore along with having one of the top 8th grade two sport athletes in the state coming up next year this team is going to be extremely good in a couple years.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ohio1234 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:25 am
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 pm Chillicothe 68
Greenup County 47

Whoa.
Chillicothe has found their rhythm the last two games against greenfield and Greenup county. Top 3 scorers are two freshman and a Sophomore along with having one of the top 8th grade two sport athletes in the state coming up next year this team is going to be extremely good in a couple years.
Fun times should be ahead for the Cavaliers! I knew they were very young, but seeing success this early is very encouraging

Return to “Boys Basketball”