Monroe Central

carbon_dated
All State

Re: Monroe Central

Post by carbon_dated »

Was wondering where the transfer Chance Allen played last season? He's been a big part of their success.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

carbon_dated wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:48 pm Was wondering where the transfer Chance Allen played last season? He's been a big part of their success.
Beallsville

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Glad he came over to MC. I’m sure playing Martins Ferry has to be more exciting than playing Paden City lol.Tucker Howell is clearly the leader of the team but Chance is an outstanding #2. It’s exciting to see how young this team is and the talent playing on the JV team. This is a start of a nice run for MC.

Tucker Howell may go down as the best all around athlete in MC history. Lots of gridiron greats but few that also were as exceptional on the hardwood as Tucker is.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

selonmc wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:00 pm Glad he came over to MC. I’m sure playing Martins Ferry has to be more exciting than playing Paden City lol.Tucker Howell is clearly the leader of the team but Chance is an outstanding #2. It’s exciting to see how young this team is and the talent playing on the JV team. This is a start of a nice run for MC.

Tucker Howell may go down as the best all around athlete in MC history. Lots of gridiron greats but few that also were as exceptional on the hardwood as Tucker is.
This is cool to hear. I know his dad and he told me a few years back that Tucker was going to be a good one. Called his shot, I guess. Good stuff.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

redskinwitness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:00 pm I saw on social media that Hiland lost their big 6'8 guy for the season and that another starter got hurt recently and will be out as well. Last year in the sectional which I'm pretty sure was at Hiland, the Hawks beat MC 73-30 according to maxpreps. I remember talking to my friend Mike from Woodsfield who goes to all of the games and he said the Hiland pressure really hurt them. I think that MC has way more talent this year than last with the additions they have like the transfer Allen and the younger Howell. If i'm not mistaken they returned pretty much the rest of the team as well. I think it will be a much different game this time around if it materializes.
We have had our sting of bad luck this season with injuries,this was supposed to of been a really good team this season,were still a pretty decent now, but now were down to one senior on the team, but he's a very good one,the reserve team finished 20-1 and freshman team was 12-1 and won the league tournament,so it looks like there could be a few more MC vs Hiland matchups down the road in the tournament, but upsets could happen,all it takes is one off night

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Will Hiland be in D7?

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

Well not as of now we will be d6 next season, unless the CB numbers drop,so I guess if that's the case this could be last year we could see MC in the tournament, I'm going have to ask around to see where the 11 CB numbers came from, we have 94 regular count boys plus the 11 CB count, puts us at 105,I think 97 and below will be d7

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

I would think with the Allen boy transfering from Beallsville, would give MC some added CB numbers next season,MC has 90 regular count now, but probably not enough to push them over 97 count

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:55 pm I would think with the Allen boy transfering from Beallsville, would give MC some added CB numbers next season,MC has 90 regular count now, but probably not enough to push them over 97 count
MC will be D6 they got 2 huge jr high classes

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

selonmc wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:00 pm Glad he came over to MC. I’m sure playing Martins Ferry has to be more exciting than playing Paden City lol.Tucker Howell is clearly the leader of the team but Chance is an outstanding #2. It’s exciting to see how young this team is and the talent playing on the JV team. This is a start of a nice run for MC.

I think a lot of people would argue that point, when you take into account three or more sports for one athlete. I'd put my money on my classmate, and lifetime friend, Darryl Shipp. He was fantastic in football, a force on the basketball court, and the only athlete to go run track as a one man track team before Woodsfield/Monroe Central ever had a track team, and accomplish what he did. He was a darn good baseball player as well.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Monroe is the 4th best team I saw play this season and I saw a lot of teams. I think Warren, Marietta and Williamstown are the only teams I saw that would beat them and those are really good, veteran basketball teams. MC is very good. I told a friend of mine from Frontier this a few days ago and he refuses to give them credit, he calls them an AAU team. He said the Howell kids live in Frontier's district and the Allen kid came over this year from Beallsville. I think good for them for going somewhere to get the best experience! I hope if my home school can't win the district and make a run they do, always rooting for local teams in the tournament and they look like the best bet to make a run!

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Steely Dan,
You're right about Darryl Shipp. Probably one of the best athletes Woodsfield has ever seen.
Saw him play football, basketball and he dominated the OVAC track meet in the events he entered.
Never saw him play baseball but I'm sure he was more than a flash in the pan.

Remember last summer when there was going to be a mass exodus of Seminole football players to Frontier if the school didn't name a new coach?

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Steely Dan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:58 pm

I think a lot of people would argue that point, when you take into account three or more sports for one athlete. I'd put my money on my classmate, and lifetime friend, Darryl Shipp. He was fantastic in football, a force on the basketball court, and the only athlete to go run track as a one man track team before Woodsfield/Monroe Central ever had a track team, and accomplish what he did. He was a darn good baseball player as well.
I was considering the MC years only. Because Skyvue didn't have football it's murky how you look at the history. Without a doubt Daryll Shipp is the best athlete to come out of Woodsfield probably ever, and that would include the MC years. Also if your expanding past just football then you have to include Skyvue and they had Mitch Hannahs who was a basketball and baseball legend. Had Skyvue had football he would have been all district or all state QB in my opinion. He's up there with Shipp.

Tucker might not be up there with those guys yet, but he's still writing his history and as time goes by we'll still be talking about him. And since MC started in what... 1994 (?) I don't remember a better athlete. There were better football players even maybe better QBs... but not many. I like the Dierkes boy several years ago for MC at the QB position, and Michael Jorris; but Howell is right up there. And I don't remember anyone from MC or even WHS being this dominate on the basketball court.

Fun conversation to have. No disrespect from me about anyone. Also, they put Shipp's old football games on You Tube. Check them out it's fun to watch.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

redskinwitness wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 am Monroe is the 4th best team I saw play this season and I saw a lot of teams. I think Warren, Marietta and Williamstown are the only teams I saw that would beat them and those are really good, veteran basketball teams. MC is very good. I told a friend of mine from Frontier this a few days ago and he refuses to give them credit, he calls them an AAU team. He said the Howell kids live in Frontier's district and the Allen kid came over this year from Beallsville. I think good for them for going somewhere to get the best experience! I hope if my home school can't win the district and make a run they do, always rooting for local teams in the tournament and they look like the best bet to make a run!
The Howells live in Washington Co.? Frontier's SD doesn't come up into Monroe Co. Maybe the parents have a connection to WHS, SHS, or MC? If they live in the Frontier SD that's a long way to travel to school every day. MC isn't a destination school by any means for people to move to. Usually they're moving out. I mean MC has been an average at best basketball program for decades. It's not like they moved in to play for Hiland. lol

Allen I can see. There are game videos of Beallsville on Maxpreps. Looks like they have 6 players, and at least 4 of them are freshmen. I feel bad for those kids actually. Maybe in 3 years they will be good but right now they are so outmatched it's sad. Allen I doubt has major ties to the county for it to be important to play for a specific county team. He made a business decision. A wise one.

As for being an AAU team consisting of Frontier and Beallsville kids is funny though. Hey, we'll take them.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Howell kids live in both school districts and they’ve been at Monroe for awhile. They went to Skyvue didn’t they ?

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Honestly I know where they live but if they’re on the boarder then they would’ve had to on Skyvue

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

They both went to Skyvue elementary school

MetalheadGamer87
Freshman Team

Post by MetalheadGamer87 »

As far as that upper bracket goes I see no one challenging Monroe Central.
Seminoles should beat Shenandoah, then the winner of Bridgeport/Conotton Valley.
Should see winner of Rosecrans/Steub CC in District semi, then Hiland in final.
Any other scenario I cannot see, but hey, that's tournament basketball and anything can happen.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

Can’t wait to get this started. Good luck Noles tomorrow night against the Zeps.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

That was a stinker of a game. Noles couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn tonight. That’s your one mulligan Noles.

Return to “Boys Basketball”