Riding the Bench

Re: Monroe Central

Post by bogo »

i'm thinking i hit a nerve ! crickets

West Rowan Falcons
Freshman Team

Post by West Rowan Falcons »

Read on one of those sites that Monroe Central 9th in AP poll and 1st in that RPI on that OHSAA site.
Does that mean automatic top seed?
Do the coaches even vote on the brackets/seedings? How does that operate?

raindelay
Riding the Bench

Post by raindelay »

bogo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:54 am maybe you would still be in a real league if you didn't have two varsity coaches that wanted out of the PVC
Care to explain? I’ve never seen anything about FF wanting out of the PVC. From my understanding it was schools (looking at you Shenandoah) that didn’t want to play FF anymore.

bogo
Riding the Bench

Post by bogo »

you are correct i did not state that very well, other teams did want out of the PVC because of FF, but after PVC fell apart FF had plenty of chances to get in a league but 2 varsity coaches did not want in, one because he could not get enough good teams to play and another because he wouldn't be able to play in the OVAC tourney anymore, sorry about that

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

bogo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:23 pm you are correct i did not state that very well, other teams did want out of the PVC because of FF, but after PVC fell apart FF had plenty of chances to get in a league but 2 varsity coaches did not want in, one because he could not get enough good teams to play and another because he wouldn't be able to play in the OVAC tourney anymore, sorry about that
What league are you talking about?

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Monroe Central 4th in AP poll in best season in school history. Should roll to 2-A OVAC title.
Yes, they have 2 regular season games (1 a makeup game) with a good Martins Ferry team but Seminoles have more weapons.
Can see a District final matchup with Hiland.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

They have four regular seasons games left
Shenandoah 2-13
River 2-16
Martins Ferry 2-17 A
Martins Ferry 2-20 H
Plus there two ovac tournament games coming this week,the Martins Ferry games will be there first opponent with a pretty decent winning record

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

oh yes, i knew they had 4 games left, but was figuring the Martins Ferry games would be the best test.

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

I don’t know about Steuby CC but I know Toronto has some good players. Should be a good game if they get past River. Rivalry games can be tricky.

I’ve been to more basketball games this year than ever before. Fun to watch this group play

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

Hiland beat Linsly Academy School on Saturday 55-53 in ot to hand the Cadets there first loss, we started out like ok we can play with this team,we were up 9-2 in the first quarter and then all of a sudden Linsly goes on a 17-0 run and it was an uphill battle from there ,till fourth quarter, when we finally tied them to send it to ot., that's when our foul shooting helps us pull out the game hitting 8 for 9 in the ot,you talk about a big team atleast 6 players over 6'4" to 6'9" and athletic and fast for big guys

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Thought I read on another site Hiland had a starter come back late in the season, but then, lost another in the OG game.
What kind of size do the Hawks have?

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

Yea we lost our big 6'7" player to a acl,we go now 6'4" ,6'1"to as small as 5'8",we can go 8 or 9 deep, now we are alot quicker, we have some really quick guards,we had four players in double figures against Linsly, between adversity and injuries this season,one is back from a broken hand since first of January,then two sprang ankles in two different players,they are back,lost a good bench player to a acl in the pre season luckily he's a sophomore and now our big guy to a season ending acl

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

That's just crazy and unfortunate, but hey, you are Hiland and you set the bar every season in the East.
Until some coach in the East District figures out a way to convince his team to play D like you it'll be Hiland advancing to another Regional.
From what I've seen so far only Monroe Central is capable of coming close.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

The scary thing about Monroe Central is that they are about year away, with only two seniors on the team, I'm not sure if they are starters or not, but it looks like they are junior year heavy, Tucker Howe is a real good one and one of those juniors , the Hawks kids know that defense comes first and if can't play lock down defense you probably won't start

selonmc
Varsity

Post by selonmc »

How many state titles does Hiland have?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Ovac Title game

Monroe Central (18-0) vs Toronto (14-4)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

selonmc wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:39 am How many state titles does Hiland have?
3. 1992, 2011, 2012.

Edited for the correct years.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

To be more precise it was 1992,2011,2012 state champs
and 1962, and 2019 state runner-up

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:06 pm To be more precise it was 1992,2011,2012 state champs
and 1962, and 2019 state runner-up
You should’ve said “to be correct” lol, my bad on the bad info and thanks for the correct information!

MC Noles SportsFan
Freshman Team

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:12 am Ovac Title game

Monroe Central (18-0) vs Toronto (14-4)
I think MC is only 17-0 but who's counting?
Other than me...lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”