Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

Post by DUNK1 »

Should be careful giving into the pressure to rate Marietta so high. They been ducking good teams to play mediocre teams.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JWICK24 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:41 pm
peake71 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:33 pm The Peake did drop down and Meigs moved, but pfloyd looks at all the scores to determine his ranking. Also Meigs is ranked higher than Gallia who beat Meigs and was beaten by The Peake at Gallia.
Which was the first game of the year against Gallia. And I know that he looks at all the scores. But 10 spots is a big difference when Meigs was up and controlled the entire game at peake. And to be behind a below 500 Adena who lost to peake by double digits. Peake is also ahead of new lex when I do not agree with that. Peake is getting the benefit of being in the OVC and being ranked high initially.
... Peake DOES get the benefit of playing in the OVC - it's probably and arguably the toughest league in the SE District imo - Portsmouth, Ironton, Fairland, South Point, Chesapeake who lost to South Point by 1 point 47-48, Coal Grove who took Ironton into OT before losing 68-72 ... add in Gallia Academy who has already run the gauntlet and lost ... any of these teams can beat any of the other teams in the OVC on a given night ... the TVC Ohio across the board is down - again in my opinion/with Vinton County being THE TEAM - Meigs would be a distant 2nd imo ... I look at wins/losses ... strength of schedules/opponents ... the eye test ... so far I have seen 52 of the 72 teams in the district (either in person or on video) ... 28 in-seat games with having eyes on 13 of my top 15 through week 3 (in my little mind it helps make comparisons between teams as I see who has the talent, who has bench strength, who plays D , etc ... which again brings into play who the teams have played/strength schedule) ... New Lex? lost a bunch off of last years outstanding TEAM ... I had them at #37 in my preseason ... they sit at 7-1 ... I haven't gotten eyes on them - yet - when they play Sheridan or Fairfield Union I WILL see them ... with that said the Panthers ARE moving up through the ranks each week BUT they haven't played a tough schedule either - vs 3 teams with a winning record so far - John Glenn they lost to by 2 pts. /beat a good Coshocton (4-1) team , the other winning record team was NY out of the TVC who I feel isn't strong ... I'll keep watching them, they will move up as they keep winning and I'll watch closely when they play the Sheridans/FU's of the SE District ... Thank you for YOUR opinion(s) and input! I don't profess to be right, I am more than willing to agree to disagree ... heck I've been wrong and don't have a problem being wrong when teams prove me wrong on the court - ALL GOOD ! ... I simply do what I do to allow those of us who enjoy high school hoops in SEO to have conversations - to do more than scream and yell, to back up our opinions with facts ... someone posted that when Marietta and Warren play in January that should Warren lose that I (pfloyd) would STILL have the Warren team at #1 - seriously?!!! - do I feel Warren IS #1 - yes -the loss to Linsly was a GREAT loss ... Linsly beats EVERY OTHER team from the SE District - Warren was played face to face with a team that starts 6-9, 6-7, 6-6 on the front line ... Linsly is a "put together" Allstar team ... there is no bench as they are all starters - going 9 deep - the size is not football player size these are players with length, play man to man D, run the floor better than most guards ... outstanding TEAM ... Warren ran with them, played toe to toe with the size ... took the lead with under 3 minutes to play ... lost the game when Warren had 3 straight empty possessions, then had to foul - only lost by 5 points ...imo there is NO team that Warren will face that has the talent, size, speed, scoring ability inside & on the perimeter that they played against on the road ... will Warren go undefeated? will they remain at #1? they have to win just like everyone else - BUT everyone else is being compared to how Warren played vs that Linsly team ... and should Marietta beat Warren ... Warren would drop outta #1 ... if nothing else I try my best to evaluate teams fairly ... I try my best to promote EVERY team, EVERY player in the SE District ...am I right all the time - no ... but I will never slight a team/players/ coaches in a negative manner ... there's 72 teams out there! I look as closely at numbers 72, 71, 70 as I do at 1,2,3 ... so keep reading, agree or disagree - it's all good ... the more posters who POST the better as long as they support their opinions and not just throw darts ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Can any one of the moderators please make this thread a "stickie" please ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

It's the end of the 2023 portion of the regular season this week ... into the 4th week already! here's some of the games to go see in the Week that IS:

The Round Town Holiday Classic

Wednesday (12/27) matchups!

5:30 Westfall vs Minford
7:30 Circleville vs Paint Valley

Friday evening (12/29) only 1 varsity game :

5:30 JV's Circleville vs Westfall
7:30 Varsity Circleville vs Westfall

River City Classic at Marietta College (12/27 & 12/28)

Wednesday, Dec. 27:
12 pm: Beipre vs. Meigs (girls)
1:30 pm: Parkersburg vs. River (girls)
3 pm: Marietta vs. Fairland (girls)
4:30 pm: St. Marys vs. Maysville (boys)
6 pm: Fort Frye vs. Southern (boys)
7:30 pm: Warren vs. Parkersburg (boys)

Thursday, Dec. 28:
10 am: Frontier vs. St. Marys (girls)
11:30 am: Meigs vs. Trimble (girls)
1 pm: Fairland vs. South Charleston (girls)
2:30 pm: Fort Frye vs. Wahama (girls)
4 pm: Parkersburg vs. Liberty Union (girls)
5:30 pm: Belpre vs. Wahama (boys)
7 pm: Marietta vs. Belpre (girls)
8:30 pm: Marietta vs. St. Marys (boys)

The 3rd annual Hocking Valley Bank Spartan Classic will be held in the Alley at Alexander High School.

Friday 12/29/2023

6:00 Alexander (GIrls) vs Paint Valley (Girls)
7:30 Trimble vs Paint Valley

Saturday 12/30/2023

12:00 Nelsonville York vs Waterford
1:45 Fairland vs South Webster
3:30 Federal Hocking vs Leesburg-Fairfield
5:15 Alexander vs West Muskingum
7:00 Vincent Warren vs Bloom Carroll

... some great matchups this week! this doesn't include the individual games going on this week! I'll try to post these when I see a menu on SOSA for games each day this week ...

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Marietta enters the Elite 8 for the first time in a long time (ever?). Well deserved recognition to this team who has played some great basketball through the first six games. A lot of talk on here about the Warren matchups next month, and rightfully so, but MHS also makes a trip out to McArthur to take on #2 Vinton County in early February. The Tigers will have to ability to prove themselves amongst the best of SE Ohio to show they deserve to be ranked where they are and have the opportunity to move up even higher. It will all work itself out by the end of the season.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake plays 3 on the road this week.
12-27-23 at Reedsville Eastern
Tug Valley Shootout at Tug Valley, WV.
12-29-23 vs Van, WV
12-30-23 vs Saint Joseph Catholic
Pfloyd, there is a couple of them foreign teams lol.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

Portsmouth @ Burg on Friday night should really tell us a lot about both teams. I am looking forward to see how this one turns out. Expect emotions to be high for this rivalry.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:10 pm The Peake plays 3 on the road this week.
12-27-23 at Reedsville Eastern
Tug Valley Shootout at Tug Valley, WV.
12-29-23 vs Van, WV
12-30-23 vs Saint Joseph Catholic
Pfloyd, there is a couple of them foreign teams lol.
... LOL peake71 - you KNOW I love trying to figure out how to rank teams with W's and/losses vs those "foreign" teams :lol: ... the committee of one will figure it out! going back a few years teams for Ohio used to travel to Florida/Virginia Beach and beyond playing vs foreign teams from ALL over the US ... I used to track and report on SEO vs the USA back in those days ... less traveling theses days - at least to some of those long distance Holiday Tournaments ... keep us updated as to how your Panthers do this week across the Big River ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:55 pm Warren keeps taking on out of SE District competition- Parkersburg on the 27th & Bloom Carroll on the 30th at the Alexander Classic …
Bloom Carroll seems to always have a good team.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:53 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:55 pm Warren keeps taking on out of SE District competition- Parkersburg on the 27th & Bloom Carroll on the 30th at the Alexander Classic …
Bloom Carroll seems to always have a good team.
... last I checked BC was 3-3 on the season ... they usually play solid m2m D, they have a size inside with "Davis the Younger" (Coach Davis' son Carson is listed as 6-8) ... he steps out and shoots/hits the 3 ball ... FU beat BC on a final second 3 pointer ... should be a good game! ... as BC can match the size of Trent Taylor inside, may force Warren to have to score on the perimeter or get out in transition (which is tougher when Taylor will be contested on the boards at both ends ... pfloyd will be in attendance all day for the games at the Alley in Alexander so I'll be taking in this one ... also looking forward to the South Webster vs Fairland game , Federal Hocking vs Fairfield Leesburg - good basketball to be seen this coming Saturday at the Alley for sure!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

DcP3407 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:45 pm Portsmouth @ Burg on Friday night should really tell us a lot about both teams. I am looking forward to see how this one turns out. Expect emotions to be high for this rivalry.
... great matchup ... you're right DcP3407 - Coach Lisath & Co. getting their first opportunity to take on one of the Elite 8 teams in the Burg (tough matchup for the Pirates young sophomore group) ... having watched the Trojans in the Ironton Classic , Portsmouth taking this one on the road would not be a surprise - lots to like about this Trojan team starting with DeAndre Berry - scores inside/outside/ steals/boards/ his passing might be his best asset ... Breech is special handling the ball/shooting the 3 ball/getting to the rim ... Malachi Loper shooting/getting the rim/handling the ball - great pickup from Clay to compliment the others on the TEAM ... all of the team buys into the on ball pressure D ... going to be a fun one!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Menu of games for Wednesday 12/27:

Minford vs Westfall (@ Circleville) 5:30
Paint Valley vs Circleville (@ Circleville)7:00

Fort Frye @ Southern
Logan Elm @ Athens
Jackson @ Zane Trace
Peebles @ West Union

Whiteoak @ Northwest (Cancelled due to illness)

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

DUNK1 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:21 pm Should be careful giving into the pressure to rate Marietta so high. They been ducking good teams to play mediocre teams.
Ducking? The entirety of the schedule doesn't show that.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hookshot wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:26 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:21 pm Should be careful giving into the pressure to rate Marietta so high. They been ducking good teams to play mediocre teams.
Is he talking about "ducking" Trimble? I don't know where Marietta should be ranked but avoiding Trimble? If they scheduled them the Tigers would be accused of scheduling an easy "W".

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles vs West Union and North Adams vs Manchester is Thursday at McDonalds Holiday Tournament at Manchester. Finals will be the winners and consolation on Friday, also at Manchester.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

First game of 3 this week and The Peake was the victory in a game that was only close for 1 quarter.
End of 1st it was 17-11 Peake after it was a blowout with final with a running clock 70-30.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Jackson 50
Zane Trace 36

Final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:57 pm Peebles vs West Union and North Adams vs Manchester is Thursday at McDonalds Holiday Tournament at Manchester. Finals will be the winners and consolation on Friday, also at Manchester.
... thanks Hoopie74 for keeping me straight ... make sure you get us the scores on both of these matchups Thursday evening!

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

lol they scheduled Massillon Perry, who is better than most teams around here. Other than that they have played essentially the same schedule as Warren. So if you’re saying that about the Tigers, the same should apply to the Warriors.

Don’t talk about things you know nothing about, it makes you look foolish.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Hookshot wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:37 pm
Hookshot wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:26 pm
Is he talking about "ducking" Trimble? I don't know where Marietta should be ranked but avoiding Trimble? If they scheduled them the Tigers would be accused of scheduling an easy "W".
Exactly. Kendall would have 30+ and Trimble would struggle to score.

Return to “Boys Basketball”