Freshman Team

Warren @ Marietta 1/26

Post by bigblue52 »

Thoughts? Predictions?

Whs95fan
S

Re: Warren @ Marietta 1/26

Post by Whs95fan »

Will be interesting to see who they put on Kendall and Wittekind in round 2. Taylor is going to have to be able to get the ball in the basket this go-around when he gets it down low, which will be no easy task. Expecting another classic Friday in Marietta.

Go Blue
Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

If one or the other has an off night shooting, or some players are not feeling 100%, among other things -- those are things that impact a game but you just can't know. These are likely the best two D-II teams in the Southeast district. We'll see.

Normal_A_Ron
Riding the Bench

Post by Normal_A_Ron »

Marietta is really good, but so is Warren and I just can't see them dropping both games in this rivalry.

I thought Warren had a great gameplan the first go around, but had a horrible shooting night -- like 0-15 from 3 or something -- plus Wittekind went off. I think those things will even out this time around and Marietta will make one too many costly turnovers. Gimmie the Warriors in a close one.

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

Any chance there will be a livestream of this matchup?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Game of the year

Meech
Waterboy

Post by Meech »

Whs95fan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:15 pm Will be interesting to see who they put on Kendall and Wittekind in round 2. Taylor is going to have to be able to get the ball in the basket this go-around when he gets it down low, which will be no easy task. Expecting another classic Friday in Marietta.
My guess is Lupardus on Kendall and Sealey on Wittekind. I was surprised these weren’t the matchups game 1.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... should be a dandy !!! no matter which side of the court you are on - this game will be good ... in every league teams must hold serve at home then get some W's on the road - in Warren's situation - they didn't defend the home court , turns this one into a MUST WIN game on the road at Sutton Gymnasium ... still coming down to whether Warren gets scoring from anyone not named Taylor and/or Stadelman ... Marietta did a good job on Taylor for 3 qtrs - TT got buckets in the 4th ... Lupardus has to "go get his points" in the paint with offensive boards & putbacks/Conor Barry & Jacob Sealey have to score from behind the arc ... I watched Warren defensively shutdown Point Pleasant at PP this week - the Warren D travels ... Adjustments will be made for Wittekind - won't shut him down but rebounding will be better for WHS ... last game A Kendall was held "down" for 3 qtrs when he was mostly inside the paint - will Marietta start with AK on the perimeter? then work from outside in? it was effective in the 4th qtr in the last game ... WHATEVER the coaching staffs come up with AND THEY BOTH WILL ADJUST - it will make for yet another good one imo ...

Meech
Waterboy

Post by Meech »

Game one I think Warren went too soon, long, and deep with the bench. If the starting 5 stays out of foul trouble, I can see a six, maybe 7 man rotation tomorrow.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Meech wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:45 pm Game one I think Warren went too soon, long, and deep with the bench. If the starting 5 stays out of foul trouble, I can see a six, maybe 7 man rotation tomorrow.
... I thought Warren went with their starters a little longer than usual this past Tuesday vs PP as well ... so you might be right on playing the first five longer ... but as you pointed out foul trouble is a game changer both figuratively and literally ... going to be fun to watch either way - 2 good teams, 2 good head coaches and equally good coaching staffs ...

... I thought I read where the Marietta AD gave directions to another parking location other than right at the high school due to the expected large crowd - I've never parked anywhere other than at the high school - is this other location easy to find/get to?

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:23 pm
Meech wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:45 pm Game one I think Warren went too soon, long, and deep with the bench. If the starting 5 stays out of foul trouble, I can see a six, maybe 7 man rotation tomorrow.
... I thought Warren went with their starters a little longer than usual this past Tuesday vs PP as well ... so you might be right on playing the first five longer ... but as you pointed out foul trouble is a game changer both figuratively and literally ... going to be fun to watch either way - 2 good teams, 2 good head coaches and equally good coaching staffs ...

... I thought I read where the Marietta AD gave directions to another parking location other than right at the high school due to the expected large crowd - I've never parked anywhere other than at the high school - is this other location easy to find/get to?
The other parking lot is just on the other side of the high school. Located at the top of Academy Drive (off of Colgate Drive) then walk through the high school to get to the gym. Hope that makes sense. If you look at google maps it's pretty clear.
Last edited by pioneer19 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

GrumpyPundit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:19 pm Any chance there will be a livestream of this matchup?
Try WMOA radio or Marietta City Schools Athletics on youtube. It should be on one or both.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pioneer19 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:51 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:23 pm

The other parking lot is just on the other side of the high school. Located at the top of Academy Drive (off of Colgate Drive) then walk through the high school to get to the gym. Hope that makes sense. If you look at google maps it's pretty clear.
Got it - thanks pioneer19 ... Colgate is just past the high school entrance ... take Colgate to Academy Drive - looks like its where the School District offices are located ...

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Going to be a great Friday night in Marietta! This is one where you arrive by halftime of the freshman game, going to be a tremendous environment in Sutton. So many points to discuss:
- Warren did a solid job on Kendall the first time but he still got his, will they change the strategy. Still very interesting to me that they don’t have Taylor guard Kendall.
- Can Marietta limit Taylor’s effectiveness again? Thought Kendall played very well defensively for the most part last time.
- Have to figure Warren will shoot it better than they did last time, but I wouldn’t say either team really executed well offensively last time…both teams played extremely hard and it was a rock fight. I expect the same again.
- Can Wittekind be the x-factor again? He was a difference-maker @ Warren and I feel they will have a better plan for him.
- I think Jones from Marietta has been playing really well off the bench, he can really shoot it and has confidence right now. I predict he will hit some big shots.

Obviously biased but I think the Tigers will get it done on their home floor. Should be a GREAT matchup.

Warriors321
Freshman Team

Post by Warriors321 »

Dog fight on friday. Think it will be low scoring. Could see another game in the 40s. Hoping warren pulls it out. Dont want to get swept by marietta on the year

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

All good comments and on point. It seems Marietta has been more inconsistent recently, more so than Warren but the Tigers have found a way to be 14-1. Incredible season so far. No matter what happens I think these teams are very even, although with different strengths. If both teams play their absolute best, Marietta has the advantage, but not by much. Shooting, foul trouble, health, how the game is officiated (physicality) all could be factors and not controllable by the players. Both teams can play defense, but Warren holding Point Pleasant to 14 (as I understand it the Warriors were behind 5 to 1 early) is unbelievable. Marietta wants an outright league title. Warren wants at least a share and needs a win to get in the top 4 for tournament seeding purposes. So much at stake.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Usually, I stop down by the bench and say hello to Coach Maddox & the Warren coaching staff - I'm thinking tonight I'll stay away, I never want to disrupt any routines the coaches or staff have in the pregame ... same for the Marietta side, I've known Coach Warner from when he was the head coach at Marietta, again I try to touch bases with him & Coach Gardner BUT tonight again - a lot on their minds ... I'll stay away, and just take in what should be a great matchup with lots on the line ... wish the best to both teams tonight for an excellent game - pfloyd

bigblue52
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue52 »

How will tournament seeding be affected if Warren wins? Marietta wins? Just wondering what kind of implications this game could have in a few weeks...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bigblue52 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:31 am How will tournament seeding be affected if Warren wins? Marietta wins? Just wondering what kind of implications this game could have in a few weeks...
Marietta has a sizeable lead on the 1 seed right now, which would only be increased with a win. The Warriors would start to move closer to the 3 and possibly the 2 with a win.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 pm
bigblue52 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:31 am How will tournament seeding be affected if Warren wins? Marietta wins? Just wondering what kind of implications this game could have in a few weeks...
Marietta has a sizeable lead on the 1 seed right now, which would only be increased with a win. The Warriors would start to move closer to the 3 and possibly the 2 with a win.
There are 8 teams in the SE district that have a path to getting one of the top 4 seeds. Marietta in solid first but that changes significantly with a loss or two. Plus the Tigers have the second-toughest schedule the rest of the way (next to Miami Trace) which is great if you win but at the same it’s harder to get those wins. If Warriors will win out they will compete for the No. 1 seed.

Return to “Boys Basketball”