SEOPS HOF

Re: Best Players in SE Ohio 2000 era

Post by Raider6309 »

Todd Mayo, Ibi Watson, and Dante Jackson

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Ironton’s best in this era Dennis Gagai, Brigham Waginger, and Zac Carter.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Josh Campbell. Overshadowed by Aldridge and Wags.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Surprisingly haven’t saw his name but the Big Cat, Dylan Swingle. Ross County all time leading scorer was at Duquesne then to Bowling Green

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BallDontLie wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:59 pm Dante Jackson is the best in my opinion. Would lead his team in points, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks and then guard the other teams best player. Not a state tournament win but dominating Upper Sandusky at OSU in 07 has to be one of the best wins ever for a team out of the southeast. A game in which Dante controlled/dominated
I'll agree with this, I was fortunate enough to catch is last HS game at the convo against Chillicothe in a game where the rest of McClain was overmatched Dante was the best player on the court. Their guards couldn't even get him the ball so he'd run behind him and they'd hand it to him and let him do his thing. I can't remember if the game went into overtime or double overtime but he fouled out and if memory serves he had scored 46 of his teams 58 or so at the time, it was simply incredible to watch never seen 1 guy basically play against 5 guys and almost will his team to the win. I looked the below information up as he's an assistant coach at Robert Morris University and as you can see the numbers are unreal including the wins and losses. WOW.

As a prep at McClain High School in Greenfield, Ohio, Jackson is the program’s all-time leading scorer with 2,423 points and also owns career program marks for rebounds (1,014), assists (502) and steals (312). McClain posted a composite record of 85-12 (.876) during Jackson’s four seasons on the roster, including three South Central Ohio League championships, four sectional titles and two district championships.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

trojandave wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:33 am Two players from Ironton stand out......Trey Fletcher and Zac Carter. Both played on the Fighting Tigers' 2013 D3 state tournament team. Also from Fairland 6-8 Collin Van Horn, who went on to have a very good career at Cedarville. Luke Thomas was also a standout with Van Horn on that 2017 Fairland team that made the D3 Final 4. Chase Copley of Valley is currently have a great senior season for the Indians, averaging over 25 PPG.

Didn't Todd Mayo of South Point play in the early 2000's? I believe the Pointers were undefeated but lost early in the tournament.

My top 2 in the SE in the 2000's would be 1. Dante Jackson and 2. Anthony Hitchens.
Todd was on the 2007-08 SP team that went 20-0 and was upset by Ironton in the first tournament game. His sophomore year, that was the only season he played at South Point. Todd moved to Memphis the following year after OJ was drafted by the Grizzlies.

He played 3 years at Marquette and averaged 8.4ppg while he was there. Played 24 games in the G-League in '14-'15 and averaged 8.5ppg. Incredibly smooth player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlwEQO_0Dy4

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, golfis4me, for the info on Todd Mayo.

SportsGrandDad
Waterboy

Post by SportsGrandDad »

Dante and Humpty

Return to “Boys Basketball”