River Valley (5-13)
Portsmouth East (5-10)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Portsmouth Clay (3-13)
Green (4-13)
West Union (3-15)
Alexander (1-16)
Ripley (3-15)
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #9

Post by danicalifornia »

Not a big deal, but Southeastern is 8-10 now

I wouldn’t have Unioto over Fairland/South Point based on the head to head, but the Shermans are definitely playing much improved since 2024 began.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm Not a big deal, but Southeastern is 8-10 now

I wouldn’t have Unioto over Fairland/South Point based on the head to head, but the Shermans are definitely playing much improved since 2024 began.
... Shermans are 8-0 on the 2024 portion of our pocket schedules - have some players that have crossed over completely from football mode - Blake Hoops is playing some outstanding basketball/ KB Perkins - has expanded his basketball repertoire to include the 3 pointer to go with his 6-5 frame in the paint - tough guard ... Blake Fitch is as good of PG/scorer of the ball as any PG in SEO / Coach Hoops is getting boards off the bench in Ashton Crace & Caden Cutright is becoming an offensive threat - I had the U in my Elite 8 in the pre-season rankings for a reason - and it's playing out at a good time in the season for the U ... I corrected the SE record - thanks ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

2 Weeks! 2 weeks left in the regular season! Post season seeding this weekend with Friday night being the last night of games counted for the RPI ranking on MaxPreps/OHSAA official rankings ... not a fan BUT no one asked me what I think, LOL ... not sure why the Saturday games aren't being counted - it's all computerized/ tell the coaches they have to have results in by midnight on 2/10 ... again, no one asked the committee of one ... many of the make-up games are being played this week and next week after the seeding is completed - sometimes it's hard to get game results simply because we didn't know the games are being played - some on the usual off days of Monday , Wednesday or Thursday ... please post results if you got 'em ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Monday/Tuesday Menu (add what I don't have please):

Monday 2/5:

East vs Ohio Valley Christian

Tuesday 2/6:

Paint Valley vs Adena
South Gallia vs Eastern Pike
Warren vs Belpre ... barometer game for Belpre see how far they have come since the 12/12 37-76 loss to Warren
Peebles vs Blanchester
Fairland vs Chesapeake ... Dragons trying to rebound from a -13 pt loss to So Point on Friday, Peake going for the season home & home sweep of the Dragons ...
Lancaster vs Chillicothe
Rock Hill vs Coal Grove
Marietta vs Federal Hocking ... Tigers playing their 3rd straight 13+ win team in 3 games looking to go 3-0 ... Fed Hock has played arguably one of the toughest non-conference schedules in 23-24 take on the 17 win Marietta for the 2nd time this season ...
Green vs New Boston
Lynchburg Clay vs Hillsboro
Portsmouth vs Ironton ... the Trojans playing at home 2-3 in OVC play... 5-0 in league play in away games - trying to break the trend vs Ironton
Sheridan vs Maysville ... the Generals on a 6 game win streak that includes wins over Coshocton and John Glen ... Maysville at 14-3 will tell us a lot about where Sheridan stands heading into the post season ...
Whiteoak vs McClain
Fairfield Leesburg vs Miami Trace Coach Williams is back court side for the Lions ... Miami Trace on a 2 game loss streak ... size advantage MT ... Trace struggles to score points averaging 42 in their last 2 games both losses, only 51 ppg in the 2 wins prior ...
Jackson vs Meigs Jackson is 6-1 in the 2024 portion of the season ... points are at a premium for the Ironmen but the D is always there ... Meigs will test the JHS D with both their perimeter shooting and 6-5 jr. Dustin Vance in the paint ...
Ripley vs MVCA
Miller vs Millersport
Crooksville vs Morgan
Philo vs New Lexington
Symmes Valley vs Northwest
Ironton St. Joseph vs Portsmouth Notre Dame
Huntington vs Piketon
Gallia Academy vs South Point
Zane Trace vs Southeastern
Westfall vs Unioto ... the U on an 8-0 run in the New Year including a 53-45 win vs Westfall at UHS in early January ... Westfall lost their starting PG due to the transfer rule but has maintained quality play in accumulating a 13-5 record ... the U struggles big time AT Westfall - we'll be watching for the outcome of this one as the U sits at 8-1 in SVC play ... a must win for UHS to clear the ghosts of games past with WHS on the road ...
Washington CH vs Vinton County ... will be interesting to see how VC responds coming off a tough loss at home to Marietta -7 ... Court House avenged an earlier loss to Miami Trace getting a +6 W 43-37 win Saturday night ...
Wellston vs Waterford
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I’ve been on SEOPs since 2009 and this is the highest I can recall the Jeeps being in the Elite 8. Let’s finish these next two weeks out strong 💪🏼

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Used to be that the Elite 8 was “stickied” at the top of the threads within minutes after it was posted - now? Moderators must not read the threads anymore … may have to - never mind… 2 weeks left in the regular season rankings …

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Some interesting games on Tuesday for sure. Might see some big movement in the RPI rankings if some teams win, like Sheridan/VC.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

I will say it's more of a compliment than an insult that there are no teams from the OVC in the Elite 8. They keep beating each other up for that championship which makes for an exciting season! The only way I'll be salty is if the OVC Champion isn't at least #8, lol

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

OVC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:03 am I will say it's more of a compliment than an insult that there are no teams from the OVC in the Elite 8. They keep beating each other up for that championship which makes for an exciting season! The only way I'll be salty is if the OVC Champion isn't at least #8, lol
... it is definitely NOT an insult to the OVC - the parity in that league, the splitting of W's between home and home, the excellent basketball ... as one who ranks teams , it drives me nuts LOL trying to keep the W's vs one another straight - ie. Chesapeake had beaten ALL of the players in the league - SP, FHS, Ironton, PHS and I still had them below all of them! (due to where the Peake started - I kept inching them up THEN they lose in round 2 at home to Portsmouth ... now Portsmouth with the win over Chesapeake gets the * asterisk for me to keep a close eye on their games so I can get THEM moved up as well ... besides all of that , the teams in the OVC are excellent, I wish I lived closer than 2+ hours from most of them or I'd be taking in one game every week ... next year I will be officially retired from my day job after 42 years, no driving 2+ hours one way then back in the same night having to get up at 4:30am ... will be able to get to more games on the river, and West of Rte 23 ... so the rankings are NOT a slight of the teams in the OVC - I'm guessing PHS, FHS, CHS, IHS, SPHS will all be in the top 15 which has never happened that 1 league has 5 teams in the top 15 in SEO in my rankings ... since I started doing the rankings around 2001 on JJHuddle, then I came to SEOPS in 2006 as I92 encouraged me to bring the rankings over - it will be over 20+ years - never happened on my watch anyway ...

ZTPMM88
Riding the Bench

Post by ZTPMM88 »

I was at the Miami Trace @WCH game Sat night. Excellent atmosphere with a jam-packed gym. However, for whatever reason, I was not all-that impressed with WCH. Crazy as it sounds, I was more impressed with Miami Trace even though they lost the game. It was my first time being able to watch either school in person so maybe both teams had an "off night". Huge win at home for the Blue Lions though congrats to them....

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Question about Circleville. It appears to me this is a dangerous team. Only 9-9 currently, but with wins over Westfall, Miami Trace and Fairfield Union, and two close losses against Teays Valley. Yet fell down against some other teams they should have probably defeated. Do they have the ability to win two or three in the post-season?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hookshot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm Question about Circleville. It appears to me this is a dangerous team. Only 9-9 currently, but with wins over Westfall, Miami Trace and Fairfield Union, and two close losses against Teays Valley. Yet fell down against some other teams they should have probably defeated. Do they have the ability to win two or three in the post-season?
After watching Marietta on Saturday, I think Circleville is a bit like the Tigers, just at like 85%.

Slater and Kendall would be a fun matchup, but Slater doesn’t shoot it as well. Cramer and Wittekind are very similar as well.

Circleville is fairly inconsistent, but they definitely have some nice pieces and are dangerous with their talented seniors.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:33 pm
Hookshot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:04 pm Question about Circleville. It appears to me this is a dangerous team. Only 9-9 currently, but with wins over Westfall, Miami Trace and Fairfield Union, and two close losses against Teays Valley. Yet fell down against some other teams they should have probably defeated. Do they have the ability to win two or three in the post-season?
After watching Marietta on Saturday, I think Circleville is a bit like the Tigers, just at like 85%.

Slater and Kendall would be a fun matchup, but Slater doesn’t shoot it as well. Cramer and Wittekind are very similar as well.

Circleville is fairly inconsistent, but they definitely have some nice pieces and are dangerous with their talented seniors.
... the Roundtown boyz would not be a team that I'd like to play in the early rounds of the "one and done" tourney ... they are a tough matchup for most teams as they have good size and length at every position Preston Hulse (6-2), Briley Cramer (6-3), Slater Search (6-5), Ed Kirk (6-5), Jack Kline (6-2) ... 3 seniors with varsity experience , 2 sophs in Kirk & Kline ... good 3 point shooting with Hulse/Kline/Riley Jenkins (6-4) soph off the bench/ Cramer ... all of the 6-3+ players have length - so they play bigger than their 6-2 to 6-5 statures ... Coach Carpenter's team can play D (as they held Miami Trace to 5 pts in the 2nd half of the Tiger win vs MT) ... as daniC pointed out - the seniors set the tone for the Tigers ... vs a "getable matchup" ? - not a team you want to play in the post season if you can avoid it imo ...

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:01 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:33 pm

... the Roundtown boyz would not be a team that I'd like to play in the early rounds of the "one and done" tourney ... they are a tough matchup for most teams as they have good size and length at every position Preston Hulse (6-2), Briley Cramer (6-3), Slater Search (6-5), Ed Kirk (6-5), Jack Kline (6-2) ... 3 seniors with varsity experience , 2 sophs in Kirk & Kline ... good 3 point shooting with Hulse/Kline/Riley Jenkins (6-4) soph off the bench/ Cramer ... all of the 6-3+ players have length - so they play bigger than their 6-2 to 6-5 statures ... Coach Carpenter's team can play D (as they held Miami Trace to 5 pts in the 2nd half of the Tiger win vs MT) ... as daniC pointed out - the seniors set the tone for the Tigers ... vs a "getable matchup" ? - not a team you want to play in the post season if you can avoid it imo ...
I see 12 or 13 teams on a given night that could beat a top 4 seed in D-II. Lots of parity. Nothing much easy.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Waterford’s Armstrong broke the scoring record for the Wildcats in a single game tonight with 37 points against Wellston. It’s still in the THIRD quarter!

58-20 Cats lead after 3

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake over Fairland 69-65.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Ironton and Portsmouth in double Ot. OVC is so good this year

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles pulled the upset over a good Blanchester team tonight 59-54. Once again without C.J.Oldfield who is now out for the season for concussion protocol. Great kid.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

peake71 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:53 pm The Peake over Fairland 69-65.

Thacker with 23
Kazee 15
Maynard 14 for Peake.

Buchanan 34 for Fairland..

Return to “Boys Basketball”