Vinton County vs. Jackson Tonight

Hookshot
Varsity

Vinton County vs. Jackson Tonight

Post by Hookshot »

Tonight. 7:00 PM.

Vinton County at home against the Jackson Ironmen.

Ironmen with a couple of bad losses early in the season but playing well now and finished as the 7th seed in D-II. The Vikings traditionally known to be extra tough at home have lost three times in McArthur this year and finished as the No. 10 seed in D-II. Which means: these two teams will play again in the first round of tournament.

Predictions? How do these teams matchup?
Last edited by Hookshot on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRFan
Varsity

Re: Vinton County vs. Jackson Tonight

Post by GRFan »

This will be a really good game. It could come down to the last shot.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

I think it might be time for VC to make a statement that they are ready for the post-season. Vikings by 7.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

The Tigers? Jackson is the Ironmen, Hookshot! One of the best mascots in SE Ohio. :)

I’m leaning VC in this one. Wonder what the strategy is knowing a tourney rematch is just around the corner.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pioneer19 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:54 pm The Tigers? Jackson is the Ironmen, Hookshot! One of the best mascots in SE Ohio. :)

I’m leaning VC in this one. Wonder what the strategy is knowing a tourney rematch is just around the corner.
Corrected. Why I had Jackson Center on my mind? :o

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

IMG_1942.jpeg

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Dundas wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:32 pmIMG_1942.jpeg
Is this a pay per view deal or can anyone access this game?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Hookshot wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:47 pm
Dundas wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:32 pmIMG_1942.jpeg
Is this a pay per view deal or can anyone access this game?
100% free

https://youtube.com/@bmgmedia9882?si=q_ZPsJQgmZQhjgW0

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Vinton County by 15-20. This is a bad matchup for Jackson.

I think the tourney rematch will be very close though.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:38 pm Vinton County by 15-20. This is a bad matchup for Jackson.

Curious as to why tonight would be a blow out and the tournament game in 10 days “very close”. Is that a location factor?

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

67-51 VC tonight. I don't see Jackson winning at home but it may be more competitive. You never know.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:48 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:38 pm Vinton County by 15-20. This is a bad matchup for Jackson.

Curious as to why tonight would be a blow out and the tournament game in 10 days “very close”. Is that a location factor?
I’d assume Vinton County isn’t as great on the road. I’ll assume Jackson is better at home. I’ll assume Jackson has fresher legs.

In the end though Vinton County has the senior and the experience so I expect them to win something like 60-50 but closer throughout

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Lol Jackson

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

VC owned this one from the get-go, kudos to them.
More energy, more physical, simply wanted it more from my seat.
Doesn't hurt that they shot VERY well from the field... I didn't get to keep stats, but their FG% had to be astronomical in the 1st half. And in the 2nd half, they made up for misses by crashing the boards very hard. Not often you see almost 70 hung on Jackson's style of D and play. And VC could have put up more than 70, easily.

Jackson just did not get the looks they typically do. Minimal to zero adjustment to VC's extended man/switching. Kind of mind-boggling because there are a couple of easy passing lanes to pick from, but they never adjusted. And as always, so many forced shots without finding the open man. When Jackson is selfish, they are susceptible to any team.

All that said, I love a good rematch.

And what a great crowd in VC tonight!! 5 games today, great day for 2 local teams!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Going into this one Saturday EVEN IFJackson had not played a game the night before vs Logan ...the Ironmen struggle 1) scoring points 2) struggle vs match-ups vs teams with size, length AND shooters ... if I were a betting person I would have gone with the spread, outcome that we had on Saturday night in McArthur ... NOW! apparently there will be another meeting in the post season between VC and Jackson ....THIS TIME - no game the night prior, AT Jackson, Coach Morrow having time to study the film(I know I'm old school with "film") , put together a game plan based on what VC showed vs what JHS was doing AND it's the "ONE and DONE season"! ... all bets are off LOL ... it should be a great matchup ...

Saturday's game Napkin Stats...

Vinton County 67
Jackson 51 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Jackson

Scoring ... Stephen Jenkins 17,Charlie Woodard 13, Ryan Seimetz 12, Boston Campbell 5, Bhodi Wolford 4
3 Pointers ... 4/16 ... Ryan Seimetz 2, Stephen Jenkins 1, Charlie Woodard 1
FTs ... 7/10
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 15 fgs/ 30 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... when you are scoring challenged to begin with, Defense has to travel , transition buckets - need to score out of the defense 3-4 times on take aways ... may not have HIM on the team BUT "TEAM" has to show up in the scoring column on the napkin stat sheet - Boston Campbell has been that senior leadership this youngster laden team has needed ... BC has to get his 12-15 ppg (tough to do among the size of VC BUT Campbell CAN hit the 3 ball - a couple of those long ones will go a long way in pulling those bigs out which will give TEAM room to get to the rim ... Jax Carroll will be a key - he's an offensive threat from deep, have to give him looks in the offense as his complimentary 2 triples per game is a must have ... Round 2 will be much different than we saw Saturday night in McArthur ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ... Garrett Brown 20, Cobra Sharp 18, Parker Shonborn 8, Ashton Allman 6, Matt Hembree 6, Owen Hire 5, Ashton Tritipo 3, Ian Mohler 1
3 Pointers ... 8/16 ... Garrett Brown 3, Cobra Sharp 2, Matt Hembree 2, Ashton Tritipo 1
FTs ..... 7/11
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 18 fgs/36 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

... Garrett Brown must have been drooling as he was able to "face up" to the basket!!! - the last game I saw of the Vikings (VC vs Marietta) ... the sharpshooting swing forward/guard didn't get a look facing the basket until the 4th quarter! vs Jackson he had room to shoot, room to get into the paint - Brown had room to do "Brown things" - he could be HIM ... same with Cobra Sharp - the PG with more moves than I can count on my fingers could MAKE THE MOVES, COULD penetrate the paint where he is most dangerous and most beneficial to TEAM as he CAN score at the rim, he CAN see the floor/find the open spot up shooters & dish vs Jackson he did ALL of those things as he scored on 4 drives to the rim, got in low for the little 6 ft jumper (2 fgs) ... because of being able to get into the paint he could find the 3 point shooters (Hempree 2 treys/Brown 3 treys/Tritipo 1) ... amazing what good teams can do when the defense allows their offensive players to do what they "specialize" in doing ... VC is dangerous when they start the games strong and don't have to play catchup as VC had to do vs Marietta vs Washington CH ... VC is good when they are allowed to do Viking things - shooters, defense, strong & hard-nosed players ...

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

One thing was evident to me last night and that’s if you may at VC you are gonna get screwing when it comes to officials. I don’t why they would be afraid to let Warren in the league cuz they ain’t no way Warren would ever win a game in McArthur.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I must say, that was the best atmosphere I’ve seen in McArthur for a long, long time. At a certain point, I almost wished it was a conference matchup. I feel like barring football, Jackson would be an absolute perfect fit for the TVC Ohio. Great game. Great crowd. Great respect. Looking forward to round 2 later this month!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dundas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:50 pm I must say, that was the best atmosphere I’ve seen in McArthur for a long, long time. At a certain point, I almost wished it was a conference matchup. I feel like barring football, Jackson would be an absolute perfect fit for the TVC Ohio. Great game. Great crowd. Great respect. Looking forward to round 2 later this month!
I go to good games, I have the opportunity to pick and choose the games I see - most are rivalry games, all meaningful games between quality teams with outstanding players each ... the atmosphere at VC is one I get to experience almost nightly at the venues around Southern/SE Ohio that I go to see games ... there is NOTHING like basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I wouldn't do anything else during the winter months in Southern/SE Ohio - it's special ...

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

T-TIME Vinton Co vs Jackson

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

Sofa King Randy! wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 pm
Dundas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:50 pm I must say, that was the best atmosphere I’ve seen in McArthur for a long, long time. At a certain point, I almost wished it was a conference matchup. I feel like barring football, Jackson would be an absolute perfect fit for the TVC Ohio. Great game. Great crowd. Great respect. Looking forward to round 2 later this month!
When the viqueens come to Jackson we will have some local refs ready
Apparently you haven't watched a single Jackson game at home, because there is no such thing as a "local ref" at a Jackson home game. Nice try trolling though... lol

Jackson and VC Round 2 should be a phenomenal game. VC owned the first one, and Jackson has plenty of opportunity to adjust... I am hopeful for a great, great game on 2/20.

Side note, VC and Jackson kids were super on the court. I know a lot of those kids are close, play some spring/summer ball together, and I loved seeing them on the court and giving it 110% and still able to shake hands at the end. Great stuff.

Return to “Boys Basketball”