OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

OVC
JV Team

Re: OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

Post by OVC »

I wonder how this will work with districts, regionals, etc. will they wait until the regionals to host the Convo? Will the regular season be extended or the state tournament happen sooner. This could be interesting.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:32 pm Then you and your trusted friends should know FACTS like this...

» Private schools make up just 16 percent of the membership in the OHSAA, but they've won 40 percent of the individual sports state championships and 45 percent of the team state titles from 2000 to 2017.

» In football, it's upside down. In that same span, private schools have won 57 state championships and public schools ave won 55. It's really upside down in volleyball where private schools earned 43 state titles to 29 for publics. In combining boys and girls soccer, private schools have dominated with 60 state crowns, while public schools account for 35.

AND...this is why I believed you were clueless...now....im thinking you are just blindly defending a corrupt system because you obviously have affiliations with one or more of these schools. You can believe what you want to believe but you really need to quit spreading lies when the overwhelming FACTS are in direct contrast to you and your TRUSTED friends.
What part of Africentric is not a private school are you not getting???

You act like they have some "unfair advantage" - its still a public school, they're still bound by all the same rules as every other public school in the state. The only difference between them and Ironton is that enrollment isn't based on living a specific district. Maybe learn how Selective Enrollment/Magnet schools work before you pop off with your ignorance.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

OVC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:12 pm I wonder how this will work with districts, regionals, etc. will they wait until the regionals to host the Convo? Will the regular season be extended or the state tournament happen sooner. This could be interesting.
Well essentially, they reduced the tournament by a round of basketball going from 8 rounds down to 7 rounds for most teams (49-50 team regions of 4 down to 33-34 teams in regions of 4; cut it in half for D1 and D2). My guess is sectionals are eliminated and you have district quarterfinals hosted by the top schools of the bracket in the opening round or 2 and then Convo for the rest in the SE.

I wouldn't be opposed of using a ladder bracket for 8 regions for D3-D7 to make the regular season more competitive. Top 4 get a double bye to regional QFs, 5-7/8 get a single bye to 2nd round, and 8-17 or 9-16 play in the opening round with 8/9-12 hosting. This could give the top 12 teams an opportunity to host a game and maintaining 8 rounds of basketball.

Rounds would look like this:
- 1st round, 2nd round, regional quarterfinals (higher team hosts)
- regional semis, regional championship (Convo)
- state quarterfinals, state semis (central location)
- championship (separate location since it sounds like they're planning on only hosting just the championships now instead of semis and championship)

8 Regions would probably be this:
D1-D7 - Central, Northeast, Northwest, Southwest (just 4 regions for D1-D2)
D3-D7 - East, North, Southeast, West

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:13 pm Rounds would look like this:
- 1st round, 2nd round, regional quarterfinals (higher team hosts)
- regional semis, regional championship (Convo)
- state quarterfinals, state semis (central location)
- championship (separate location since it sounds like they're planning on only hosting just the championships now instead of semis and championship)
I think this is a good idea. It would not surprise me if Districts were still played at a neutral site, I feel like that would be something most ADs will push for.

Sectionals - higher seed team hosts
District Semis/Finals - neutral site (i.e. Southeastern/Waverly/Logan/Jackson)
Regional Semis/Finals - neutral site (i.e. The Convo)
Final 4 - centralized neutral site (Div I, III, V, VII at one site, Div II, IV, VI at another)
State Championship - centralized neutral (all Divisions in 1 location)
GoBucks1047 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:13 pm 8 Regions would probably be this:
D1-D7 - Central, Northeast, Northwest, Southwest (just 4 regions for D1-D2)
D3-D7 - East, North, Southeast, West
I have a feeling they will do something like

Div I/II: NE/NW/SE/SW
Div III-VII: NE 1/2, NW 1/2, SE 1/2, SW 1/2

And get rid of East and Central.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

dantargaryen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:43 pm
trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:32 pm Then you and your trusted friends should know FACTS like this...

» Private schools make up just 16 percent of the membership in the OHSAA, but they've won 40 percent of the individual sports state championships and 45 percent of the team state titles from 2000 to 2017.

» In football, it's upside down. In that same span, private schools have won 57 state championships and public schools ave won 55. It's really upside down in volleyball where private schools earned 43 state titles to 29 for publics. In combining boys and girls soccer, private schools have dominated with 60 state crowns, while public schools account for 35.

AND...this is why I believed you were clueless...now....im thinking you are just blindly defending a corrupt system because you obviously have affiliations with one or more of these schools. You can believe what you want to believe but you really need to quit spreading lies when the overwhelming FACTS are in direct contrast to you and your TRUSTED friends.
What part of Africentric is not a private school are you not getting???

You act like they have some "unfair advantage" - its still a public school, they're still bound by all the same rules as every other public school in the state. The only difference between them and Ironton is that enrollment isn't based on living a specific district. Maybe learn how Selective Enrollment/Magnet schools work before you pop off with your ignorance.
OKAY, this is the last time im going to respond to your ignorant post. Its simply a waste of my time. First, I am not arguing specifically against Africentric. As I stated from the beginning, its about all schools who are allowed to cheat by the OHSAA. Secondly, you said,"The only difference between them and Ironton is that enrollment isn't based on living a specific district." Now, if you dont believe that "selectively admitting" students from multiple school districts in the Columbus area doesnt give you an unfair advantage then, quite frankly, you are just stupid.

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

trampoline wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:50 am
OKAY, this is the last time im going to respond to your ignorant post. Its simply a waste of my time. First, I am not arguing specifically against Africentric. As I stated from the beginning, its about all schools who are allowed to cheat by the OHSAA. Secondly, you said,"The only difference between them and Ironton is that enrollment isn't based on living a specific district." Now, if you dont believe that "selectively admitting" students from multiple school districts in the Columbus area doesnt give you an unfair advantage then, quite frankly, you are just stupid.
You're the arrogant one, bud.

Columbus City Schools supports the entire city of Columbus. Students choosing to go to a school within the same district is not "cheating."

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Question: Are the 7 divisions and the schools assigned for the 2024-25 basketball tournament final? If 2023-24 school enrollments are used it would appear these are final. Lots of district rivalries over and perhaps new ones to be established next season.

EdChambers
Waterboy

Post by EdChambers »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 am Question: Are the 7 divisions and the schools assigned for the 2024-25 basketball tournament final? If 2023-24 school enrollments are used it would appear these are final. Lots of district rivalries over and perhaps new ones to be established next season.
No. The new division breakdowns will be based on October 2023 enrollment numbers adjusted for competitive balance.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

EdChambers wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm
Hookshot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 am Question: Are the 7 divisions and the schools assigned for the 2024-25 basketball tournament final? If 2023-24 school enrollments are used it would appear these are final. Lots of district rivalries over and perhaps new ones to be established next season.
No. The new division breakdowns will be based on October 2023 enrollment numbers adjusted for competitive balance.
Thanks but what will the competitive balance criteria be composed of? And does competitive balance have anything to do with Divisions III-VII?

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:35 pm
EdChambers wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm
Thanks but what will the competitive balance criteria be composed of? And does competitive balance have anything to do with Divisions III-VII?
Here’s what I’m informed are the new D-III teams from the current Southeast and East:

Dover
Tri-Valley
Marietta
Chillicothe
New Philadelphia
Athens
Logan
Miami Trace
Zanesville

*** Who’s missing from this list?

Return to “Boys Basketball”