OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

4out1in
Waterboy

Re: OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

Post by 4out1in »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:04 pm
redskinwitness wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:13 pm I really hope they don't break the state tournament experience but I'd say it is almost certainly going to a two day championship format at one site (Dayton). They'll play the D4/5/6/7 games on Saturday and the D1/2/3 games on Sunday. I'd guess that they will break them into 28 regions like they do in football with each region being split into 4 districts (looking at the regions in football and knowing that basketball has a few more teams lets say each district has 6 teams so 24 per region give or take a few). Higher seeds will host pigtail/district semifinals. Regional semi-finals and finals at a neutral site (high schools most likely). State semi-finals at a larger venue (OU, Canton fieldhouse, Cleveland State, BG, Ohio Dominican, UD, Xavier, etc) and then the two day championship format somewhere like Dayton.
State Tournament in 2025 will be at the Fairgrounds if Doug Ute has his say.
I hope not. They've got a sweetheart deal with UD right now in an arena that's 1,000x better. That might, however, be too logical for that mob at the OHSAA.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

4out1in wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:52 pm
redskinwitness wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:13 pm I really hope they don't break the state tournament experience but I'd say it is almost certainly going to a two day championship format at one site (Dayton). They'll play the D4/5/6/7 games on Saturday and the D1/2/3 games on Sunday. I'd guess that they will break them into 28 regions like they do in football with each region being split into 4 districts (looking at the regions in football and knowing that basketball has a few more teams lets say each district has 6 teams so 24 per region give or take a few). Higher seeds will host pigtail/district semifinals. Regional semi-finals and finals at a neutral site (high schools most likely). State semi-finals at a larger venue (OU, Canton fieldhouse, Cleveland State, BG, Ohio Dominican, UD, Xavier, etc) and then the two day championship format somewhere like Dayton.
I hope not. They've got a sweetheart deal with UD right now in an arena that's 1,000x better. That might, however, be too logical for that mob at the OHSAA.
I do not think UD is available next year. Here is the interview

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=863ce8e6 ... I1Lw&ntb=1

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

dantargaryen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:16 pm
trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:16 pm Just too bad they didnt put all of the corrupt religious/africentric schools in division 1. They should at least be bumped up 2 divisions.
Africentric? You're joking, right?

Africentric is a public high school that is part of Columbus City Schools.
Funny how many great basketball players seem to randomly win the admissions lottery…

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

UD is a great place/host for the state tourney, so much better than OSU. It has great parking that is close and there isn’t a bad seat in the place.

The only negative is you have to drive everywhere to eat, but by the time you walk to eat at OSU it takes about the same time.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:43 am
trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:16 pm Just too bad they didnt put all of the corrupt religious/africentric schools in division 1. They should at least be bumped up 2 divisions.

Funny how many great basketball players seem to randomly win the admissions lottery…
Northland, Brookhaven, Beechcroft, West, South, Walnut Ridge have all had runs in the past 25 years out of Columbus

It’s just funny when a school known for bringing in kids in the SE accuses others of bringing in talent :lol:

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Ironton does bring it talent. Ironton doesn’t get to artificially deflate enrollment by only admitting talent.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The admissions rule is when an entrant accepts the bid, and enrolls, they do not need to re-enter the lottery to maintain enrollment. It’s a k-12 school.

I’m not sure what’s “funny” about the idea that they, uh, have students who also happen to play basketball?

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

Funny how people who can barely spell “open enrollment” and couldn’t even begin to explain how a magnet school system works have something to say…

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:00 pm Ironton does bring it talent. Ironton doesn’t get to artificially deflate enrollment by only admitting talent.
Open enrollment. Admissions lottery.

Six of one….

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:56 am

Northland, Brookhaven, Beechcroft, West, South, Walnut Ridge have all had runs in the past 25 years out of Columbus

It’s just funny when a school known for bringing in kids in the SE accuses others of bringing in talent :lol:
Hey, be fair, it’s called “open enrollment” not “admissions lottery” when it comes to Ironton.

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:28 pm

The admissions rule is when an entrant accepts the bid, and enrolls, they do not need to re-enter the lottery to maintain enrollment. It’s a k-12 school.

I’m not sure what’s “funny” about the idea that they, uh, have students who also happen to play basketball?
Hey hey hey! Don’t go bringing facts into an argument.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Africentric had some kind of selection process for getting into school. Not everyone who wants to go can go, so they pick the kids who get to go.

Ironton, or any school who accepts open enrollment, cannot pick and choose which ones they let in. There are rules that have to be followed, of course, but if 50 kids want in and follow the rules, 50 gets get in. If it's 100 who want in, 100 get in. Divisional assignments would obviously change based on their enrollment.

For Africentric, again unless I'm wrong which is certainly possible, if 50 kids want in, they don't all get in. So they get to pick and choose. And it seems to me that, especially on the girls side, a lot of D1 players seem to find their way in through whatever process they have set up.

Africentric does a great job and has a great program. I bet their school is similar, given the support they give to athletics. I am glad it exists.

4out1in
Waterboy

Post by 4out1in »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:23 am
4out1in wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:52 pm

I do not think UD is available next year. Here is the interview

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=863ce8e6 ... I1Lw&ntb=1
Yeah I hear you but he doesn't say anything about UD being unavailable next season. He's also only talking about district and regional games possibly at the fairgrounds. He didn't mention state. They can't even think of trying to hold a state tournament in that old horse barn. Crosses fingers :)

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:27 pm Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Africentric had some kind of selection process for getting into school. Not everyone who wants to go can go, so they pick the kids who get to go.

Ironton, or any school who accepts open enrollment, cannot pick and choose which ones they let in. There are rules that have to be followed, of course, but if 50 kids want in and follow the rules, 50 gets get in. If it's 100 who want in, 100 get in. Divisional assignments would obviously change based on their enrollment.

For Africentric, again unless I'm wrong which is certainly possible, if 50 kids want in, they don't all get in. So they get to pick and choose. And it seems to me that, especially on the girls side, a lot of D1 players seem to find their way in through whatever process they have set up.

Africentric does a great job and has a great program. I bet their school is similar, given the support they give to athletics. I am glad it exists.
You're wrong on two things:

LIMITATIONS TO OPEN ENROLLMENT
A board of education may place the following limitations on the open enrollment of students
through its policies:
1. A board of education may limit the size of individual classes, place a limit on a school
building’s capacity, and/or limit the number of students in a particular educational
program.
2. A board of education may limit open enrollment to insure that an appropriate racial
balance is maintained within the district’s schools.
3. A board of education may make inter-district open enrollment available on a year-to
year basis. It is recommended that potential students be advised of the possibility of
closing a grade-level to open enrollment or a school district not adopting open
enrollment in future years.
4. A board of education may limit inter-district open enrollment to just adjacent school
districts

So, no, if 100 kids "apply" to go to Ironton, not all 100 get in.

Secondly, in regard to Africentric (as well as CCS' other Selective Admissions schools) none of the criterion for eligibility has anything to do with athletic ability they are looking at how well a student performs academically and if they would benefit from an Early College curriculum. Its the same thing with Cincinnati Public Schools' magnet school/selective admissions schools - academic performance matters way more than what they do in sports. In other words, if a student applies for Selective Admission to a school like Africentric, they will most likely get in because they were already prescreened for their academic abilities before they were even able to apply.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

dantargaryen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:20 pm
TigerBob wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:27 pm Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Africentric had some kind of selection process for getting into school. Not everyone who wants to go can go, so they pick the kids who get to go.

You're wrong on two things:

LIMITATIONS TO OPEN ENROLLMENT
A board of education may place the following limitations on the open enrollment of students
through its policies:
1. A board of education may limit the size of individual classes, place a limit on a school
building’s capacity, and/or limit the number of students in a particular educational
program.
2. A board of education may limit open enrollment to insure that an appropriate racial
balance is maintained within the district’s schools.
3. A board of education may make inter-district open enrollment available on a year-to
year basis. It is recommended that potential students be advised of the possibility of
closing a grade-level to open enrollment or a school district not adopting open
enrollment in future years.
4. A board of education may limit inter-district open enrollment to just adjacent school
districts

So, no, if 100 kids "apply" to go to Ironton, not all 100 get in.

Secondly, in regard to Africentric (as well as CCS' other Selective Admissions schools) none of the criterion for eligibility has anything to do with athletic ability they are looking at how well a student performs academically and if they would benefit from an Early College curriculum. Its the same thing with Cincinnati Public Schools' magnet school/selective admissions schools - academic performance matters way more than what they do in sports. In other words, if a student applies for Selective Admission to a school like Africentric, they will most likely get in because they were already prescreened for their academic abilities before they were even able to apply.
If you actually believe the statement that you have posted above, then that makes you the most clueless person i have ever encountered.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It’s true that you can’t put in and expect to be enrolled by default. That said, I doubt their rejection rate (or rate of not being extended a spot for the new school year) is high or that the wait list is long. Columbus City Schools has a handful of selective admissions/lottery high schools, and there’s (plenty of) charter/private opportunities also in the market of education on that side of town.

Mid-2000’s it was harder to get in, but that’s more a function of high demand/low supply of school choice and capacity limitations due to the old Africentric being at the former Mohawk Middle School in German Village (with the 74’ court to boot!) They’ve since built a new campus from the ground-up, there’s more providers in the education market and shifting demographics in the CCS student body large have lessened the admission strain.
The girls one is pretty easy — it’s the only good girls program in the city, and the only program with any consistency of being not bad. The girls who play at A-High aren’t going to play anywhere else in the city; if Africentric didn’t have sports those girls would be going outside of the city to hoop. I think people overestimate how much hoops talent big cities have on the girls side, anyways. The Lady Nubians win the city annually because of their consistency, and they destroy in the postseason because they have the pieces together with no weak links. The boys aren’t as dominant in the city for various reasons; but they win in the postseason by the art of pressure and intensity.

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

trampoline wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 am If you actually believe the statement that you have posted above, then that makes you the most clueless person i have ever encountered.
Come again? Having knowledge of how the S.A. process works and not only knowing people who teach in the Columbus system, but knowing people who previously taught at Africentric and have explained what the process looks like to me makes me clueless?

Make it make sense.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

dantargaryen wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:39 pm
trampoline wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 am If you actually believe the statement that you have posted above, then that makes you the most clueless person i have ever encountered.
Come again? Having knowledge of how the S.A. process works and not only knowing people who teach in the Columbus system, but knowing people who previously taught at Africentric and have explained what the process looks like to me makes me clueless?

Make it make sense.
Certainly, just because an SA school district writes something in their bylaws, mission statements and false doctrines, doesn't mean that's what is actually happening. The fact that you are trying to convince people that these schools are recruiting or "selectively admitting" students based only on academic performance is laughable.

Its much Like Hooters claiming their hiring practices are based only on people skills, simple math and work ethic and not physical appearance. Any idiot can go in and order chicken wings and see that isnt what is happening.

dantargaryen
Riding the Bench

Post by dantargaryen »

trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am
Certainly, just because an SA school district writes something in their bylaws, mission statements and false doctrines, doesn't mean that's what is actually happening. The fact that you are trying to convince people that these schools are recruiting or "selectively admitting" students based only on academic performance is laughable.

Its much Like Hooters claiming their hiring practices are based only on people skills, simple math and work ethic and not physical appearance. Any idiot can go in and order chicken wings and see that isnt what is happening.
Keep believing that your school is somehow “disadvantaged” or whatever. I’ll go with information from people I know and trust.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

dantargaryen wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:34 am
trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am

Keep believing that your school is somehow “disadvantaged” or whatever. I’ll go with information from people I know and trust.
Then you and your trusted friends should know FACTS like this...

» Private schools make up just 16 percent of the membership in the OHSAA, but they've won 40 percent of the individual sports state championships and 45 percent of the team state titles from 2000 to 2017.

» In football, it's upside down. In that same span, private schools have won 57 state championships and public schools ave won 55. It's really upside down in volleyball where private schools earned 43 state titles to 29 for publics. In combining boys and girls soccer, private schools have dominated with 60 state crowns, while public schools account for 35.

AND...this is why I believed you were clueless...now....im thinking you are just blindly defending a corrupt system because you obviously have affiliations with one or more of these schools. You can believe what you want to believe but you really need to quit spreading lies when the overwhelming FACTS are in direct contrast to you and your TRUSTED friends.

Return to “Boys Basketball”