OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

Post by radiodavel »

OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2024 ... n-proposal

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Re: OHSAA Board of Directors Approves Expansion Proposal

Post by bobcats94 »

I'm very interested to see the divisional breakdowns. I'm sure this will help some schools for example those very small d4 schools or schools up in d1 such as Chillicothe this year, but 7 is way too many. If Ohio schools don't like the current system imagine playing in KY. Everyone wants a trophy and everyone wants to make $$$. You get more of those two things now.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

It’s good for everyone. Does this bring us back to same location district tournaments? I say get rid of sectionals have all teams in each district play at one central location. These home sectional games have ruined the tournament for fans. I miss being able to go to Meadowbrook and watch 2 games at once got sectionals.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm okay with the changes, but I preferred splitting up D1 into 2 divisions and going to 5 divisions overall. But the 4 division system had to be fixed.....not fair to the small D1 schools. I remember when Portsmouth won the very first D2 state title in 1988. PHS was 2 boys from being D1 that season (D2 cutoff was 426....PHS was 425). We are to this day still very proud of that D2 state championship and don't feel it was a diminished accomplishment.

I just wonder how the state tournament will be set up with 7 divisions playing. It's been a 3 day event, but I can't envision that staying the same. You can't have 7 division state championship games in 1 day. Sounds like it will be an almost all week event.

Having more divisions will give more kids a chance to win a state title or make a long tournament run, and in the end it may get more kids participating in sports and if it does, that is a very good thing.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I think will see drastic changes instead of all the districts I think it will move to 4 regions. Travel could be wild.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

D1 and D2 are 64 schools each, with the rest evenly divided. That's roughly 134 schools per division in D3 - D7.

Rough math based on this year's numbers:

D1: 638+
D2: 457 - 637
D3: 281 - 456
D4: 194 - 280
D5: 144 - 193
D6: 98 - 143
D7: 97 and under

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Here is a Quick Look
Attachments
IMG_6456.jpeg

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

Just too bad they didnt put all of the corrupt religious/africentric schools in division 1. They should at least be bumped up 2 divisions.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

South Webstern D7 champs next year. Book it

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:16 pm Just too bad they didnt put all of the corrupt religious/africentric schools in division 1. They should at least be bumped up 2 divisions.
I agree 100 percent on that call

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:16 pm Just too bad they didnt put all of the corrupt religious/africentric schools in division 1. They should at least be bumped up 2 divisions.
How exactly is a private school corrupt? Absolutely need to be separated into their own division but accusing them of being corrupt is a little much.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

BobcatQB wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:05 pm
How exactly is a private school corrupt? Absolutely need to be separated into their own division but accusing them of being corrupt is a little much.
Because they recruit under the guise of religion. Dont you think it seems odd how great Catholics are at athletics??? These schools are recruiting for athletic purposes. It has nothing to do with religion.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

trampoline wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:18 pm
Because they recruit under the guise of religion. Dont you think it seems odd how great Catholics are at athletics??? These schools are recruiting for athletic purposes. It has nothing to do with religion.
It seems a little strange how so many great athletes congregate at very small schools for religious purposes.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

So Notre Dame isn't supposed to recruit any college athletes unless they are Catholic? Lame excuse. They are recruiting and they are allowed to. Blame the system not the school. Your school would do it too if it was allowed.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

In some areas of the state, the publics recruit more effectively than the privates do. Lots of examples. And why should we care why a family chooses a particular school? I agree families don't choose faith-based schools only for religious reasons. Academic quality, discipline, safety are factors; and, no question, athletic opportunity.

JJMD24
Riding the Bench

Post by JJMD24 »

Here is a Google Doc that I found with a proposed school breakdown of the new alignment for each sport. This is using the enrollment data for this current school year.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Still a lot to be decided southeast and Eastern district format doesn’t really work bc the teams are uneven. I think we go to a regional format like football.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

BobcatQB wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:33 am

So Notre Dame isn't supposed to recruit any college athletes unless they are Catholic? Lame excuse. They are recruiting and they are allowed to. Blame the system not the school. Your school would do it too if it was allowed.
You are exactly right...The OHSAA has fostered and encouraged this corrupt system, which is why they should have fixed this broken and unfair system when they made these changes.

Lets say a new Big 10 commissioner comes in with a new plan for the conference....the new plan is to rename 3 schools...Ohio State Catholic, Penn State Africentric and Michigan Tree of Life....these 3 schools are allowed to recruit nation wide as long as the athlete "claims" to be catholic or whatever and they are great at sports of course. The other schools in the Big 10 are only allowed to recruit in their own state. If ANYONE proposed this system they would be laughed out of the room and they would be a national laughingstock...well, this is the OHSAA and it is insanely stupid. It is baffling to me that this insanity has been allowed to go on for so long.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

trampoline wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:47 am

You are exactly right...The OHSAA has fostered and encouraged this corrupt system, which is why they should have fixed this broken and unfair system when they made these changes.

Lets say a new Big 10 commissioner comes in with a new plan for the conference....the new plan is to rename 3 schools...Ohio State Catholic, Penn State Africentric and Michigan Tree of Life....these 3 schools are allowed to recruit nation wide as long as the athlete "claims" to be catholic or whatever and they are great at sports of course. The other schools in the Big 10 are only allowed to recruit in their own state. If ANYONE proposed this system they would be laughed out of the room and they would be a national laughingstock...well, this is the OHSAA and it is insanely stupid. It is baffling to me that this insanity has been allowed to go on for so long.
So we are against blacks and Catholics? Okay, got it.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

trampoline wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:47 am

I understand the process and I never said I encourage it. I never said anything about my feelings towards the situation. I am 100% in agreement that private schools should not be included in the same division as public schools. My point is that using the word corrupt is ridiculous. Absolutely nothing corrupt about a private school recruiting a player when it is allowed.

Return to “Boys Basketball”