Warren 47 Logan 33 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 47 Logan 33 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 33
Warren 47 a final

... The final regular season game for both teams ... Warren wrapping up a successful 2023-24 season entering the game at 17-3, looking to make a run in the post season while Logan sat at 2-19 trying to keep from losing 20 games in the regular season... Logan looked to keep from repeating the December meeting in Vincent where the Warriors of Coach Maddox jumped out to a 51-5 first half advantage over the Chieftains ... ending with a final score of 72-18 Warren ... new strategy - Logan looked to muck up the game, control the pace, slow it down to keep the Warriors in the gym and under their 66 ppg average ... It worked ... somewhat ... right up to the point where Logan averaged 5 turnovers per quarter for the game ... when you "muck" up a game /slow it down you hope the game gets sloppy and the opposition plays "sloppy" Warren obliged to "a degree" as the Warriors turned the ball over 13 times in the game ... in the end Warren's 17-3 record meant "something" just as Logan's 2-19 record meant "something" ... Warren 47 Logan 33 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-offiical" Napkin Stats - Logan

Scoring ... Kohen Maynard 16, Jackson Stimmel 7, Carson Tootle 4, Daniel Bauers 3, Blake Chambers 2, Sawyer Magdich 1
3 Pointers ... 6/17 ... Kohen Maynard 4, Daniel Bauers 1, Jackson Stimmel 1
FTs ... 1/2
TOs ... 22
PnP ... 7 fgs/ 14 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 0 putback buckets

... Logan lost the freshmen game 27-43 ( the Logan total might be less as I can't read my napkin stat sheet LOL) as well as dropping the JV contest 41-48 ... a Warren sweep ... in my travels this season to the in-season classics from Portsmouth, Ironton, Alexander etc. the organizers have asked which teams I would recommend them ask to play in their tournaments NEXT season ... I've always added Logan to the list, telling the organizers to not look at Logan's record THIS season as they have lots of talent returning next season, lots of talent in the freshmen/sophomore classes ... we'll see ... Logan drops to 2-20 on the season ... Chiefs will be traveling to Delaware Hayes in the OCC Post Season/ One & Done Party/Sectional action Tuesday the 27th ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Julian Stadelman 17, Trent Taylor 13, Connor Barry 8, Chase Lupardus 4, Jacob Sealey 3, Collin Anthony 2
3 Pointers ... 4/6 ... Connor Barry 2, Jacob Sealey 1, Julian Stadelman 1
FTs ....... 7/8
TOs ..... 13
PnP .... 13 fgs/ 26 points in the paint
PnT .... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk .... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... Warren played the game that was needed to get out of Logan with a W, without injury so their post season ambitions stayed intact in D2 ... Trent Taylor entered the game needing 20 points to reach the 1000 point milestone in his hoops career at Warren - the 6-7 senior post player finished with 13 on the night with Warren awaiting the winner of Waverly vs River Valley (being played Saturday at 2pm in the Hawhee Downtown Arena in Waverly) ... with a W over either Waverly/River Valley , the Warriors would return to Logan to take on either Vinton County or Jackson in one of the D2 Sectional Finals with the winner punching their ticket to Basketball :30 & the District Semi's on March 4th at the Convo in Athens ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whs95fan
S

Re: Warren 47 Logan 33 a final

Post by Whs95fan »

Thanks for the recap Pfloyd, wasn't our best effort but probably the type of game they needed before the postseason starts. During Coach Maddox's interview on the local Coaches Show this morning, he said the players are lucky he's doing the interview and not with the kids in practice at the moment 😂

Go Blue
Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:18 pm Thanks for the recap Pfloyd, wasn't our best effort but probably the type of game they needed before the postseason starts. During Coach Maddox's interview on the local Coaches Show this morning, he said the players are lucky he's doing the interview and not with the kids in practice at the moment 😂
VC guy said they want Warren. They probably really want them after seeing the results of this game.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Billy Brave wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:51 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:18 pm Thanks for the recap Pfloyd, wasn't our best effort but probably the type of game they needed before the postseason starts. During Coach Maddox's interview on the local Coaches Show this morning, he said the players are lucky he's doing the interview and not with the kids in practice at the moment 😂
VC guy said they want Warren. They probably really want them after seeing the results of this game.
If they want us after last year's matchup they can have us.

Go Blue
bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

I was able to lay eyes on this game, and it's the first time I've watched Warren "live" this year. I've seen Logan a couple of times.
Even though Warren didn't have the same margin of victory as the previous meeting, I was thoroughly impressed.
It was a PHYSICAL game, and Warren typically on the receiving end of the physicality.
Warren remained level-headed, played through some difficult calls/no-calls, and did what they needed to do... stay injury-free.

Logan brought some intensity, and really executed a pretty good gameplan, aside from a few too many "high" cross-court passes. They really attempted to take the air out of the ball... almost taking 1:30 off of the clock in their VERY FIRST POSSESSION. In fact, pfloyd may be able to correct me if wrong, but I BELIEVE it was 3-0 in favor of Warren with just under 4 mins left in 1Q! Then Warren started the full court pressure, and it was quickly 11-0 Warren over the next 2 minutes.

Warren is tough.
Logan brought some fire, and I'm sure they will be a different squad next year, they are young.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

They really need to get a shot clock in HS basketball. Holding the ball is so dumb. This game would not have even been this close if Logan didn’t hold it the whole first quarter

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Holding the ball has always been around. Next people will want to stop putting up a defense so we can have an NBA type all Star game.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Holding the ball has always been around. Next people will want to stop putting up a defense so we can have an NBA type all Star game.
The forward pass also used to be illegal in football...sometimes rule changes are good. Holding the ball is not real basketball. You can play slow and limit possessions with a shot clock, but play real basketball.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

As Herm Edwards once yelled “you play to win the game!”

Coaches and teams want to win first and will do whatever they can within the rules to provide themselves with the best chance.

After losing 72-18 the first time, I get the change of strategy.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

boss8 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:02 pm
noreply66 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Holding the ball has always been around. Next people will want to stop putting up a defense so we can have an NBA type all Star game.
The forward pass also used to be illegal in football...sometimes rule changes are good. Holding the ball is not real basketball. You can play slow and limit possessions with a shot clock, but play real basketball.
Sounds like when you are playing football and anything that's not a no huddle is not football?????

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:20 pm
Sounds like when you are playing football and anything that's not a no huddle is not football?????
Huh? The objective of basketball is to score. By holding the ball, you are not trying to score. Therefore you are not playing the game the way it was intended. Hence the need for a shot clock...so that kids are playing real basketball like every other level does. But please go ahead and keep making your stellar points, they are extremely enlightening.

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

Whs95fan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:10 pm
Billy Brave wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:51 pm
If they want us after last year's matchup they can have us.
VC must not have really wanted you. They found a way out. But they did win the TVC championship three years in a row. Bet Warren can’t say that. :mrgreen:

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

boss8 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:07 pm

Huh? The objective of basketball is to score. By holding the ball, you are not trying to score. Therefore you are not playing the game the way it was intended. Hence the need for a shot clock...so that kids are playing real basketball like every other level does. But please go ahead and keep making your stellar points, they are extremely enlightening.
So, the only objective of basketball is to score? Hmmmm… I wonder why they play defense then. Probably should just make a rule against playing defense. Then there probably won’t be a need for the shot clock. :mrgreen:

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Billy Brave wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:28 am

So, the only objective of basketball is to score? Hmmmm… I wonder why they play defense then. Probably should just make a rule against playing defense. Then there probably won’t be a need for the shot clock. :mrgreen:
I see you have the same level of intelligent insight as Noreply66. You guys should be friends. Can you win a basketball game if you don’t score? No. Therefore yes, the objective of the game is to score, specially, to score more than the other team. Doesn’t take away the importance of defense, but you can’t win if you don’t score.

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

boss8 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:52 am

I see you have the same level of intelligent insight as Noreply66. You guys should be friends. Can you win a basketball game if you don’t score? No. Therefore yes, the objective of the game is to score, specially, to score more than the other team. Doesn’t take away the importance of defense, but you can’t win if you don’t score.
WOW! You’re really smart. But I bet you didn’t know that you can’t lose if the other team doesn’t score. Therefore, a team only needs to score one point to win a game. I’m sure, even with your superior knowledge of the game which is displayed by your insistence that the only objective of the game is to score points, you didn’t realize that. So, to enlighten you, a team can score one point and then use whatever means necessary within the rules to keep the other team from scoring and they will win the game. Crazy isn’t it how that works. And as I said, it’s completely within the rules. However, your “shot clock” isn’t part of the game of high school basketball in Ohio. Of course you didn’t know that apparently.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Billy Brave wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:54 am

WOW! You’re really smart. But I bet you didn’t know that you can’t lose if the other team doesn’t score. Therefore, a team only needs to score one point to win a game. I’m sure, even with your superior knowledge of the game which is displayed by your insistence that the only objective of the game is to score points, you didn’t realize that. So, to enlighten you, a team can score one point and then use whatever means necessary within the rules to keep the other team from scoring and they will win the game. Crazy isn’t it how that works. And as I said, it’s completely within the rules. However, your “shot clock” isn’t part of the game of high school basketball in Ohio. Of course you didn’t know that apparently.
My entire point is that the scenario you stated, while legal, is not real basketball and is not feasible at any other level. Your scenario is equivalent to a football team driving down the field and kicking a field goal, then forcing a punt on defense, and then staying in the huddle for the remainder of the quarter without running a play. Why can’t that happen in football? Because there’s a play clock at every level…unlike basketball. It makes no sense and is bad for the game.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

boss8 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:40 am
Billy Brave wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:54 am

My entire point is that the scenario you stated, while legal, is not real basketball and is not feasible at any other level. Your scenario is equivalent to a football team driving down the field and kicking a field goal, then forcing a punt on defense, and then staying in the huddle for the remainder of the quarter without running a play. Why can’t that happen in football? Because there’s a play clock at every level…unlike basketball. It makes no sense and is bad for the game.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but you're football analogy (equivalent) doesn't cut it. In basketball there is no opportunity to let a clock run in a huddle or without the other team having the opportunity to defend you -- steal the ball, get a 5-second call, foul them to force them to the foul line, etc. If it can be done competently at the high school level, I prefer a shot clock myself.

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

No need for a shot clock. If one team would have to hold the ball for 4 qtrs to win then its the other teams fault for letting them do that. If you are that much better then you will probably force the pace of play. Heck even if you are only marginally better you can still force the pace of play.

Return to “Boys Basketball”