SEOP

Marietta vs Gallia Academy

Post by Geronimo »

No1 seed Marietta plays 16 seed Gallia at 2/20 7:00

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Marietta vs Gallia Academy

Post by danicalifornia »

The first meeting was suspiciously close, but I feel like this is a game that Marietta makes a bit of a statement before a likely matchup with Fairfield Union

I’ll take the Tigers by 18

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

As has been said before, each game is its own event with potential multiple factors that impact the outcome. This could be a close game, but can someone explain what happened with some of GA’s usual better scorers in their last game against McClain? Watched it but don’t understand it.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:50 am The first meeting was suspiciously close, but I feel like this is a game that Marietta makes a bit of a statement before a likely matchup with Fairfield Union

In the first meeting Gallia had 7 turnovers in the opening quarter / them played to 1 quarter per quarter the final 3 periods ... Franklin scored 18 pts for the game - 10pts in the 3rd when Gallia pulled within 3 pts (39-42) ... Blair and Franklin combined for 32 points in the 1st meeting with 7 threes between them (vs McClain Saturday the duo had a combined 7 pts/ 0 threes) ... GAHS outscored Marietta in the first game 26-25 in the 2nd half of play ... When you play the #1 seed - you need to bring your "A " game , the Tigers of Coach Gardner are the 1 seed for lots of reasons which makes them difficult to play as they have the talent/size/shooting inside and outside - few negative areas you can exploit as an opponent to give you an advantage ... the only area I have seen over the course of the season is the Tiger inability to handle pressure in the back court (at times) leading to turnovers ...

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:30 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:50 am The first meeting was suspiciously close, but I feel like this is a game that Marietta makes a bit of a statement before a likely matchup with Fairfield Union

In the first meeting Gallia had 7 turnovers in the opening quarter / them played to 1 quarter per quarter the final 3 periods ... Franklin scored 18 pts for the game - 10pts in the 3rd when Gallia pulled within 3 pts (39-42) ... Blair and Franklin combined for 32 points in the 1st meeting with 7 threes between them (vs McClain Saturday the duo had a combined 7 pts/ 0 threes) ... GAHS outscored Marietta in the first game 26-25 in the 2nd half of play ... When you play the #1 seed - you need to bring your "A " game , the Tigers of Coach Gardner are the 1 seed for lots of reasons which makes them difficult to play as they have the talent/size/shooting inside and outside - few negative areas you can exploit as an opponent to give you an advantage ... the only area I have seen over the course of the season is the Tiger inability to handle pressure in the back court (at times) leading to turnovers ...
Pfloyd, correct about Franklin and Blair in the December game. In recent games Blair hasn't even played a lot of minutes. GA's best bet might be finding a way to get Alex Kendall in foul trouble. The 6-8 senior is likely to be the Southeast's D-II Player of the Year and impacts most games by scoring, rebounding, blocking shots and/or getting steals. Not saying he can't have an off game, but if Kendall has anything close to a typical game for him the Tigers should be OK in this one.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Not the easiest first round matchup for a #1 seed, but the Tigers should be able to take care of business with relative ease. Like where they're at headed into the tournament. Especially like the way Elyjah Lieres-Kelley is playing at the point for Marietta. To me, he is the major x-factor. If he's aggressive on offense and making good decisions, they can go far.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Gameday

I'd like to see Marietta come out and put Gallia away early. Do what a 1 seed should do against a 16 seed. Last game at Sutton Gym for our three seniors, I think they are going to ball out. On the flip side, Gallia Academy has been tested with a tough OVC schedule and won't be unprepared. Still think the Tigers will be too much.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Gallia is a year away !!!

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:31 pm Gameday

I'd like to see Marietta come out and put Gallia away early. Do what a 1 seed should do against a 16 seed. Last game at Sutton Gym for our three seniors, I think they are going to ball out. On the flip side, Gallia Academy has been tested with a tough OVC schedule and won't be unprepared. Still think the Tigers will be too much.
Hard to know what will happen. Marietta by 20 wouldn't surprise me. A very close game either way is possible. Buster Douglas was a 42 to 1 underdog against Tyson. GA is not a 42 to 1 underdog.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Remember that .

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Marietta dominated start to finish. Raced out to a double digit lead and never looked back. GA has some really solid athletes but are not anywhere near as skilled as the Tigers. Marietta's length also really bothered GA.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Tigers played especially hard and smart defensively. No GA field goals in the first quarter. They can win a few more games playing like that.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Hookshot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 pm Tigers played especially hard and smart defensively. No GA field goals in the first quarter. They can win a few more games playing like that.
Agreed, I was also really impressed with the defensive effort. Need to keep guarding like that and they can make a run.

Return to “Boys Basketball”