How will the tournaments work next season?

Ed Ott
Varsity

How will the tournaments work next season?

Post by Ed Ott »

D1 64 teams
D2 64 teams
D3 133 teams
D4 133 teams
D5 133 teams
D6 134 teams
D7 134 teams

Will there still be 6 districts?

D1 would start the tournament basically in the district semis as we know it, same for D2. Chillicothe, Logan, sometimes Athens, Miami Trace, Marietta join in with the central for D1 in some sports. I feel more of this will need to happen. All 1st games would be a sectional final as we know it, but with 6 districts in the state the numbers would be off.

Football has 90 less teams that compete in Ohio but numbers might be similar.

D3 Basketball in SE Ohio:

Marietta
Miami Trace
Jackson
Chillicothe

D4
Washington CH
Hillsboro
Logan Elm
Sheridan
Fairfield Union
Circleville
Logan Elm
Vinton County
Warren Local
Gallia Academy
Meigs?
Waverly?

Will the D3’s be similar to the current Chillicothe and Logan?

Are we going to have 12 SE teams in our district and keep cutting down nets for sectionals?

Will the SE and E combine for all tournaments?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: How will the tournaments work next season?

Post by EasternDspy »

They accepted the 7 divisions without a plan. From what I’m told they are going to hash out the format in May. If I had to guess sectionals are gone. If it was up to me I’d get rid of the district model and go to regions like football. 4 regions in each div. Use the rpi to rank them 1-32 and then split into 4 (8 team) district tournaments every year. They’ll probably do first rounds at top seed then have district semi on neutral. This is all speculation though. Eastern / southeastern format just don’t work anymore because of how uneven it is.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Sheridan has a big class of boys coming in next year. I believe they will also be D3 in the SE, along with possibly Athens?

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

I can’t see how we don’t end up with a 4 regional model like football. I believe it’ll be too messy with uneven numbers of teams to keep the current district format.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

Ed Ott wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:43 pm D1 64 teams
D2 64 teams
D3 133 teams
D4 133 teams
D5 133 teams
D6 134 teams
D7 134 teams

Will there still be 6 districts?

D1 would start the tournament basically in the district semis as we know it, same for D2. Chillicothe, Logan, sometimes Athens, Miami Trace, Marietta join in with the central for D1 in some sports. I feel more of this will need to happen. All 1st games would be a sectional final as we know it, but with 6 districts in the state the numbers would be off.

Football has 90 less teams that compete in Ohio but numbers might be similar.

D3 Basketball in SE Ohio:

From what I have seen Jackson would be D4 Athens and Logan D3
Marietta
Miami Trace
Jackson
Chillicothe

D4
Washington CH
Hillsboro
Logan Elm
Sheridan
Fairfield Union
Circleville
Logan Elm
Vinton County
Warren Local
Gallia Academy
Meigs?
Waverly?

Will the D3’s be similar to the current Chillicothe and Logan?

Are we going to have 12 SE teams in our district and keep cutting down nets for sectionals?

Will the SE and E combine for all tournaments?

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

From What I have seen: Athens and Logan D3 and Jackson D4

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

jose wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:10 am From What I have seen: Athens and Logan D3 and Jackson D4
Yeah I was just guessing for example sake

PikeCo23
Waterboy

Post by PikeCo23 »

I think the SE will have to join in with the SW from the example I saw. If they want the district format to stay, they would have to, unless some SW teams came this way. By the looks of it, Logan would also be included in the new D3. The "example" number they gave will not be concrete. This is a new enrollment count year and competitive balance will also change some teams one division or another. Jackson, Court House, Circleville, Warren, Sheridan and Hillsboro will all be close to the D3/D4 cutoff. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I think to please both crowds of being for or against this, they will want to keep the same district format. We shall see.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If the SE were to be apportioned, it would likely be the SE divvied into thirds, and from there they’re paired to the SW, C and E.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

PikeCo23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 am I think the SE will have to join in with the SW from the example I saw. If they want the district format to stay, they would have to, unless some SW teams came this way. By the looks of it, Logan would also be included in the new D3. The "example" number they gave will not be concrete. This is a new enrollment count year and competitive balance will also change some teams one division or another. Jackson, Court House, Circleville, Warren, Sheridan and Hillsboro will all be close to the D3/D4 cutoff. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I think to please both crowds of being for or against this, they will want to keep the same district format. We shall see.
Jackson, Court House, Circleville, Warren, Sheridan and Hillsboro will be D4. From information I have seen from the state

PikeCo23
Waterboy

Post by PikeCo23 »

Yes, they would be division 4 based on the example breakdown. That may be off by 10-12 in enrollment due to some teams moving up and down in enrollment numbers or competitive balance.

Return to “Boys Basketball”