Collins out @ Rock Hill

Sciotodowns
Waterboy

Collins out @ Rock Hill

Post by Sciotodowns »

Heard from a BOE member that Coach Collins won’t be back next year. Not sure whose choice it was but with RH making a big splash with their football hire, what could they do with the basketball position?

TigerBob
All Conference

Re: Collins out @ Rock Hill

Post by TigerBob »

One of Rock Hill’s biggest problems through the years the board doing stuff like this. They seek to micromanage the schools instead of hiring an administration and letting them work. Then there are constant leaks, drama filled meetings, factions, etc.

It’s sad because they have the community support, facilities, and financials to have a solid athletics program. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Gordy’s record at the time would make it justifiable to move on. He’s been there 5, 6, 7 years and at no time have they even came close to challenging to be in the top half of the league. If they don’t get their house in order, the next coach will suffer a similar fate no matter who he is.

UNREAL
Waterboy

Post by UNREAL »

Sciotodowns wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:08 pm Heard from a BOE member that Coach Collins won’t be back next year. Not sure whose choice it was but with RH making a big splash with their football hire, what could they do with the basketball position?
Rock Hill has always been that way. Let the coaches coach.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Since we talked one state coach into coming out of retirement, maybe talk Mark LaFon into coming out of retirement?

Just kidding, of course. I doubt he would come. But this is one where it would be nice to get a young coach to take over. Maybe Bryan Jenkins?

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

This is a shame in my opinion. Thought Gordy has done a good job with what he has had honestly. I don’t mean that as a knock on the kids, but that conference is pretty solid athlete wise.

sportsfan2015
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2015 »

bfry wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:42 pm This is a shame in my opinion. Thought Gordy has done a good job with what he has had honestly. I don’t mean that as a knock on the kids, but that conference is pretty solid athlete wise.
He definitely has they just haven’t had the talent or true basketball players to be very successful.

Hopefully they’ll pass it down to his son Austin, he’s going to be a great young coach and can give the program some stability as somebody who will stay for years where they don’t have to hire a new coach every few years like in the past.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Austin would be a good choice, then after that leave him alone and let him try to build the program youth & up.

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

Seen on another thread that Dave Shugg is candidate for the job?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Has Shugg been coaching anywhere?

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

transplant wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:15 am Has Shugg been coaching anywhere?
Google searching it appears he is an assistant or has been an assistant at Coal Grove.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

SWJeeps22 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:55 am
Google searching it appears he is an assistant or has been an assistant at Coal Grove.
I guess I could have googled it. Haha. My bad. Thanks.

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

transplant wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:11 pm
Yeah he is an assistant at Coal Grove, but don't know how many years he's been there.

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumper45 »

OVC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:01 pm Since we talked one state coach into coming out of retirement, maybe talk Mark LaFon into coming out of retirement?

Just kidding, of course. I doubt he would come. But this is one where it would be nice to get a young coach to take over. Maybe Bryan Jenkins?
WHY would you want LaFon. He's a screamer, yeller. Can only coach if hes loaded with tallent. If your smart you'll go after PJ Fitch.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

JeepNation26 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:42 pm
transplant wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:11 pm

Yeah he is an assistant at Coal Grove, but don't know how many years he's been there.
Pretty sure he was an assistant when they had those back to back district titles.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Jumper45 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:12 pm
OVC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:01 pm Since we talked one state coach into coming out of retirement, maybe talk Mark LaFon into coming out of retirement?

WHY would you want LaFon. He's a screamer, yeller. Can only coach if hes loaded with tallent. If your smart you'll go after PJ Fitch.
Didn’t see the “just kidding of course” part, did ya? Also, we are okay without Fitch. He all but ran Ironton basketball into the ground.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Dave has been an assistant coach at Coal Grove for a few years now. At least since 16/17 season if not before then.
Really super person too.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Shugg would be a good choice if he wants it. Rock Hill guy, been coaching a while, would bring new energy. If he is a teacher that would be a slam dunk.

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumper45 »

OVC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:10 pm

Didn’t see the “just kidding of course” part, did ya? Also, we are okay without Fitch. He all but ran Ironton basketball into the ground.
You gotta be kidding me. He did a good job when at Ironton. LaFon and Pendleton ran him off because he didnt bow to the football program. Thats why Coach Barnes has the job. No one would apply because of what they did to Fitch. Get your facts straight

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Jumper45 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:57 pm

You gotta be kidding me. He did a good job when at Ironton. LaFon and Pendleton ran him off because he didnt bow to the football program. Thats why Coach Barnes has the job. No one would apply because of what they did to Fitch. Get your facts straight
I believe Coach Barnes has the job because he’s a great coach. Look at what he did at South Point and St. Joe since moving back to the area.

Also, if “bowing to the football program” means getting all of your athletes to come out to make your program successful (looking at Shaun Terry), then so be it. It’s working out pretty well.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Jumper45 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:57 pm

I will retract my statement on Fitch… Ironton was over .500 during those years. However, I will remain with my sentiment about Barnes being a good coach, and if bowing to the football program means getting the best athletes out to make your program better, let it be.

Return to “Boys Basketball”