POY in Soc3 predictions

transplant
SE

Re: POY in Soc3 predictions

Post by transplant »

How does the voting work? Each coach gets one vote? Or do they rank the top 3 and most points wins?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

HERO wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:05 am Maybe Lattimores attitude when things aren’t going his way played a role in the coaches not voting him player of the year.
Then That would be wrong. I saw Roberts have the same attitude. But both of those players produced “a player of the year “ performance.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:21 am
HERO wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:05 am Maybe Lattimores attitude when things aren’t going his way played a role in the coaches not voting him player of the year.
Then That would be wrong. I saw Roberts have the same attitude. But both of those players produced “a player of the year “ performance.

Although i agree with wobycats observations, im not sure i completely do on this one. I think a players attitude is very important and can influence some not to vote for them. I agree Roberts body language and attitude still seems very bad (which shocks me with Norm there).

It has to be more than numbers, or at least in the not so distant past, many coaches would not allow much of what we see out of several of rhe players mentioned here.

I guess their stats would have been reduced through reduction of playing time. Maybe it doesn't matter now as much as it used to? Should it? Or is it all about winning and numbers now?
Last edited by SoutheastHoopsWizard on Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:28 am

Although i agree with wobycats observations, im not sure i do on this one. I think a players attitude is very important and can influence some not to vote for them.

It has to be more than nunbers, or at least in the not so distant past, many coaches would not allow much of what we see out of several of rhe players mentioned here.

I guess their stats would have been reduced through reduction of playing time.
Attitude is a learned behavior from all sorts of contributing factors. What is a coach to do? Sit and take out his best player to prove a point and lose important games? Or does he try to cautiously try to remove that from the player?

All coaches deal with this today, and should understand. That's why they should vote on the production of the player and not based on feelings. It demonstrates a quality of resentment that this player was instrumental in winning a conference championship.

Unfortunately, this type of behavior is seen in a lot of high school athletes today. What do we expect? Social media makes them out to be some sort of icon in the community. This could be fixed if the governing body would be strict in enforcing penalties for such behavior but you'd probably have to start in the stands first.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

There is no doubt that Lattimore is a great player and in no way am i saying he did or didnt deserve the POY award. I have not warched hin in person but a couple of games. Same with Roberts also.
Im just trying to say maybe, if what i watched at the convo was more of the normal and not the exception, that it COULD have possibly influenced some coaches negatively?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

There are no players statistically close to Roberts in the district in d4. Also ER compared to DL all season has been a saint.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 am There is no doubt that Lattimore is a great player and in no way am i saying he did or didnt deserve the POY award. I have not warched hin in person but a couple of games. Same with Roberts also.
Im just trying to say maybe, if what i watched at the convo was more of the normal and not the exception, that it COULD have possibly influenced some coaches negatively?
It probably did. He griped a lot and talked some smacked but I also thought he was respectful at the end of games. Just the way he played.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 pm
There are no players statistically close to Roberts in the district in d4. Also ER compared to DL all season has been a saint.
Of course he was. Go back and read your own posts on ER. You were brutal.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 am There is no doubt that Lattimore is a great player and in no way am i saying he did or didnt deserve the POY award. I have not warched hin in person but a couple of games. Same with Roberts also.

Plus throw in the fact that he is playing for Burg was probably the biggest factor. If he is at any other school in the SOCIII i bet he is the POY

Same old song and dance. I still can't wrap my head as to why Copley got it playing on a 4th place team!!! So without him they finish in 5th place?? Pathetic. Kids a good player but not the best player in the league this year.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:37 am
SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:28 am

Although i agree with wobycats observations, im not sure i do on this one. I think a players attitude is very important and can influence some not to vote for them.

It has to be more than nunbers, or at least in the not so distant past, many coaches would not allow much of what we see out of several of rhe players mentioned here.

I guess their stats would have been reduced through reduction of playing time.
Attitude is a learned behavior from all sorts of contributing factors. What is a coach to do? Sit and take out his best player to prove a point and lose important games? Or does he try to cautiously try to remove that from the player?

All coaches deal with this today, and should understand. That's why they should vote on the production of the player and not based on feelings. It demonstrates a quality of resentment that this player was instrumental in winning a conference championship.

Unfortunately, this type of behavior is seen in a lot of high school athletes today. What do we expect? Social media makes them out to be some sort of icon in the community. This could be fixed if the governing body would be strict in enforcing penalties for such behavior but you'd probably have to start in the stands first.
Exactly! It drives me nuts to see the 3 Fingers (up, down, in their arm etc). That’s learned from TV.
i watched a kid in the first game turn to the opposing teams bench after a three pointer, and do that! no consequences

Refs just let it happen

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Taunting is a big issue these days in high school sports. It's ok to show emotion but when you do it at an opposing player or their team then to me that results in a T.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:44 pm Taunting is a big issue these days in high school sports. It's ok to show emotion but when you do it at an opposing player or their team then to me that results in a T.
Agreed. Players questioning the officials, taunting other players, speaking to the opposing teams bench, etc. is becoming the new norm.

It seems to be accepted by coaches, officials, and communities but im worried about what i am seeing! I remember getting a technical back in the day for putting my hands out after being called for an incorrect foul. My coach immediately pulled me out of the game. As i tried to explain to my coach why the call was wrong he simply told me it was his job to question calls and mine to shutup and play. When the bus got back to the school, i had to run before going home.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:53 pm
Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:44 pm Taunting is a big issue these days in high school sports. It's ok to show emotion but when you do it at an opposing player or their team then to me that results in a T.
Agreed. Players questioning the officials, taunting other players, speaking to the opposing teams bench, etc. is becoming the new norm.

It seems to be accepted by coaches, officials, and communities but im worried about what i am seeing! I remember getting a technical back in the day for putting my hands out after being called for an incorrect foul. My coach immediately pulled me out of the game. As i tried to explain to my coach why the call was wrong he simply told me it was his job to question calls and mine to shutup and play. When the bus got back to the school, i had to run before going home.

Yep, it is sad what these kids get away with anymore. No discipline at home and none at school either.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:06 pm

No. He was lazy and lacked effort for a little stretch of the season. Every game I’ve watched DL play he’s been mouthy. Portsmouth and Minford especially. I’m sure Shoemaker didn’t vote for him.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:30 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:06 pm

No. He was lazy and lacked effort for a little stretch of the season. Every game I’ve watched DL play he’s been mouthy. Portsmouth and Minford especially. I’m sure Shoemaker didn’t vote for him.

Come on man, Portsmouth!!! The school he left that kicked him off the football team. The team that trashed talked him the whole football game in the playoffs? You can't not think he wasn't going to talk trash in that game because I'm sure he was getting it back.

The Minford game, yeah uncalled for. He got T'd up in that one I think so I will give you that one.

Plus, he must have not been too bad as Pendleton sure did want him at Ironton. DL's Mom wanted him to play at Burg. I think it worked out great for both.

Return to “Boys Basketball”