1ST Big Upset of the Tournament!! Who's Next??

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

1ST Big Upset of the Tournament!! Who's Next??

Post by JeepNation26 »

First big upset of the tournament last night in Div. II with Circleville Logan Elm beating Washington Courthouse 38-37 in overtime.

Who's the next to get upset :?: Let's hear it...

art_vandelay
SE

Re: 1ST Big Upset of the Tournament!! Who's Next??

Post by art_vandelay »

I going with Zane Trace over North Adams in D3.*

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 am I going with Zane Trace over North Adams in D3.*
... Good call art_vandelay ... ZT plays solid D, has a couple bigs (relative bigs in Robinson/Langley) ... quick guards in Landen Jarrell/Ezra Rippeth (both can get to the rim (more importantly both are quick enough to guard Copas - not and easy task for sure BUT ...) Brock Jarrell one of the best spot up 3 ball shooters anywhere .. McCullough/Huston/Larson are solid ... Coach Kellough KNOWS Defense - defense travels in the post season ... this game would be my pick as well ...

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

How does Logan Elm match up with Unioto? I kind of like the Braves to be this year's cinderella. They seem to be peaking at the right time.

There's probably going to be at least one more upset that comes out of left field, so I'm going with Miller over Trimble. The Falcons are coming into the tournament with a little momentum and the "Stomp" seems to have been rendered ineffective the last couple weeks. :D

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:09 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:03 am I going with Zane Trace over North Adams in D3.*
... Good call art_vandelay ... ZT plays solid D, has a couple bigs (relative bigs in Robinson/Langley) ... quick guards in Landen Jarrell/Ezra Rippeth (both can get to the rim (more importantly both are quick enough to guard Copas - not and easy task for sure BUT ...) Brock Jarrell one of the best spot up 3 ball shooters anywhere .. McCullough/Huston/Larson are solid ... Coach Kellough KNOWS Defense - defense travels in the post season ... this game would be my pick as well ...
And that's no slight towards North Adams...just feels like ZT a lower-seeded team capable of getting hot and making a run this postseason.*

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:17 pm How does Logan Elm match up with Unioto? I kind of like the Braves to be this year's cinderella. They seem to be peaking at the right time.
Not great, but Waugh is very good and Sabine seems to playing well as well. They’ve beat two teams in the last three games that they got blown out by earlier in the season, so they are clearly playing better.

Unioto has now won 14 straight games and seems to be playing pretty well too. Sheridan was able to do some things defensively that I’m not sure if LE will do. LE likes to grind you on both ends, which will be a new challenge for Unioto as well, which is why I could see it being a really tight game.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:17 pm How does Logan Elm match up with Unioto? I kind of like the Braves to be this year's cinderella. They seem to be peaking at the right time.
Not great, but Waugh is very good and Sabine seems to playing well as well. They’ve beat two teams in the last three games that they got blown out by earlier in the season, so they are clearly playing better.

Unioto has now won 14 straight games and seems to be playing pretty well too. Sheridan was able to do some things defensively that I’m not sure if LE will do. LE likes to grind you on both ends, which will be a new challenge for Unioto as well, which is why I could see it being a really tight game.
Unioto has to feel like the door to the Convo has opened for them a bit. Not that they couldn't beat Court House, but they go from being slight underdogs to significant favorites. Good opportunity for them.

I watched the Logan Elm/Teays Valley game and just feel like the Braves kind of fit the mold of a cinderella. Nothing about them really jumped out to me, but they are a scrappy, grind it out type of team like you said. Waugh and Sabine are both nice players. I'm guessing the lower the score of the game, the better the chances of a LE victory.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm

Unioto has to feel like the door to the Convo has opened for them a bit. Not that they couldn't beat Court House, but they go from being slight underdogs to significant favorites. Good opportunity for them.

I watched the Logan Elm/Teays Valley game and just feel like the Braves kind of fit the mold of a cinderella. Nothing about them really jumped out to me, but they are a scrappy, grind it out type of team like you said. Waugh and Sabine are both nice players. I'm guessing the lower the score of the game, the better the chances of a LE victory.
Completely agree on both parts. LE is traditionally the team you don’t want to see across from you at any time of the season, because of their style and their toughness. They also have a dude in Waugh, which is something that every cinderella needs.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Fun Fact from DII: since the SE went to the super Sectional format in 2021, the 3 seed is 1-3 in games against the 14 seed.

It’s like the Southeast’s version of the 5/12 happening in the NCAA Tournament

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

Jackson over Warren??? I was really impressed with Jackson the other night against Vinton County. Can Coach Morrow rally his team and upset Warren? Or is Warren just too tough of a match up for them.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

JeepNation26 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:03 am Jackson over Warren??? I was really impressed with Jackson the other night against Vinton County. Can Coach Morrow rally his team and upset Warren? Or is Warren just too tough of a match up for them.
Waverly (with 4 Freshmen) played Warren very well for 3 quarters but wore down - Warren pulled away in the 4th.
Jackson has a chance on the neutral court - must contain Saddleman.

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

smurray wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 am
JeepNation26 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:03 am Jackson over Warren??? I was really impressed with Jackson the other night against Vinton County. Can Coach Morrow rally his team and upset Warren? Or is Warren just too tough of a match up for them.
Waverly (with 4 Freshmen) played Warren very well for 3 quarters but wore down - Warren pulled away in the 4th.
Jackson's intensity on defense really gave Vinton County trouble, if they bring it against Warren I think they have a chance to pull it off. They'll have to keep Warren off the offensive boards.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Ironton upsets Peak 🤔⚡

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

🚨🚨Belpre over Fairland🚨🚨

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

Actually Warren opened up a close game in the 3rd qtr (40-29) and finished it off in the 4th with another 10-0 run. Waverly never in the game after halftime.
Waverly has some nice young guards

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

My upset pick is a big one....FU over Marietta. FU has the size and skill up front to neutralize Kendall and the athletic lefty for Marietta. I think this game will come down to whichever teams guard play is better. The Kelley kid for Marietta will be the key for them to win IMO. This is a tough second round matchup.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

justpassinthru wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:46 am

Actually Warren opened up a close game in the 3rd qtr (40-29) and finished it off in the 4th with another 10-0 run. Waverly never in the game after halftime.
Waverly has some nice young guards
Not quite. I believe Waverly was only down 7 points with just over two minutes left in the third quarter. Warren then surged from there to get significant separation.

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Jackson upset a highly ranked vinton county squad

warrior 89
Freshman Team

Post by warrior 89 »

41-14 NA @ the half

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

warrior 89 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:51 pm
41-14 NA @ the half
Random guy on internet message board gets upset prediction wrong?!? Shocking. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”