3/3 Northwest v Portsmouth

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Re: 3/3 Northwest v Portsmouth

Post by Hoopster98 »

NW executed their game plan. They did not even guard Livingston on the perimeter and kept Boland inside to help with any drives. As far as pressing, you have to score in order to get into a set press. Scarberry is a great coach and when you have talent it makes the coach look even better. I'm not sure if Portsmouth had a game plan going into the game but it did not look like it. They never made an adjustment to NW not guarding Livingston then got 3 point happy to try to get back into the game all at once. How about taking it step by step and getting stops on the defensive end. Portsmouth was very inconsistent this season and they picked the wrong game to be inconsistent. In their wins they were balanced in scoring but in the losses it was one sided. I think NW has a great opportunity against the BURG just because they play DEFENSE. As far as Portsmouth, I don't see anybody coming in that could help dramatically. I'm sure Coach Lisath knew what he was getting himself into before he took the job so no worries on that end.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Northwest Mohawks on the convincing win over Portsmouth. They outplayed PHS in every aspect and there's really not much else to say.

The Trojans had a very good season, 17-7, sectional champions for the 1st time since 2017, 2nd place in the OVC. It was just very disappointing to go out of the tournament with such a poor performance. Another congratulations to DeAndre Berry, who ended his great career with 1,264 points to become the 6th leading scorer in PHS history. He passed his coach, Jeff Lisath, in the 2nd half of the game. He scored 27 points.

I am going to go over to the Portsmouth Trojans' thread and lay out in detail what's next for Trojan basketball going forward.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:57 am Congratulations to the Northwest Mohawks on the convincing win over Portsmouth. They outplayed PHS in every aspect and there's really not much else to say.

The Trojans had a very good season, 17-7, sectional champions for the 1st time since 2017, 2nd place in the OVC. It was just very disappointing to go out of the tournament with such a poor performance. Another congratulations to DeAndre Berry, who ended his great career with 1,264 points to become the 6th leading scorer in PHS history. He passed his coach, Jeff Lisath, in the 2nd half of the game. He scored 27 points.

I am going to go over to the Portsmouth Trojans' thread and lay out in detail what's next for Trojan basketball going forward.
Your a top notch fan Dave. Love how you support your Trojans and yet are honest in your assessment of your team!

Your a class act!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

SoutheastHoopsWizard: Thanks for the kind words. I'm still licking my wounds from yesterday, but the sun is shining bright today!!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:09 am
trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:57 am Congratulations to the Northwest Mohawks on the convincing win over Portsmouth. They outplayed PHS in every aspect and there's really not much else to say.

Your a top notch fan Dave. Love how you support your Trojans and yet are honest in your assessment of your team!

Your a class act!
I second that. Dave is truely a top notch fan.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Congrats to our NW Mohawks on a big win yesterday at the Convo. As always, it was good seeing old friends there watching high school basketball. IMO, it's the best arena in the state to watch a game. Overall, the boys played tough defense, shot well, didn't force very many shots. There are a few things that need to be cleaned up before the Burg game on Saturday. Best wishes men!

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Some may say, including me, their goes trojandave with another long post. But here is the thing I respect him and we talk we see each other. No other person on here is as passionate for his team and more knowledgeable of what's happening. Portsmouth does have a rich history and took down my Peake several times. The only other that is as passionate about basketball IMHO is pfloyd. I know only keep up with their schools but these two go one step further.Want to learn about teams, ask either one of these fine gentlemen
I wish more of us had his passion for his team , keep it up Dave , see you next time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... no one is as devoted a fan for a school than trojandave ... he's lived through the history of the great times at PHS ... he's always been honest/up front about his assessments of the Trojan teams, games, seasons ... when I see a trojandave post - I READ 'EM ALL ! he knows the game! he knows the players - shares that knowledge with all of us ... always worth the read and has been for the last 25+ years ...

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BigBlueNation, Peake71, pfloyd, and alabama mike, thanks for your kindness and much love back to you guys.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Back at ya brother. We have talked hoops since the other sites days. Always a pleasure seeing you and talking. I wish you well my friend.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

First and Foremost I would like to congratulate Coach Rick Scarberry and the Northwest Mohawk basketball team and Mohawk Nation for a convincing District Semi-final win over my Portsmouth Trojans. The Northwest kids played with a lot of enthusiasm, guts, and determination which I admire when kids play the game with passion. Northwest coaching staff had the better game plan and the kids followed it to perfection after the first quarter of the game. As for my Portsmouth Trojan basketball team, I’m very proud of every one of them. We had huge obstacles to overcome, with huge expectations in our attempt to restore or reestablish program prominence. We went 17-7 when most said we would be lucky to win five or six games. Although we were up and down all season, four of our seven losses were games we had the opportunity to win, including a buzzer-beater that cost us a share of the league title. Nevertheless, in my mind, we didn't overachieve we underachieved and certainly shouldn’t have gone out like that, as we lost our composure when things didn't go our way. We live and we learn and we will build off this season and get better. God was good to us! “Win or Lose we will always praise Him” Good Luck to Northwest in the District Finals.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Jeff, you and your staff did an outstanding job this season bringing Portsmouth basketball its first winning season in 5 years, first sectional title since 2017, and the highest finish in the OVC since 2016. You represented PHS with class and integrity, your kids responded positively to your demands, and your prayer circle was well received by many. I am very glad to have you as the coach of our Trojans. There are challenges ahead, but with your determination to overcome any obstacles in your way, I'm confident going forward that you will put competitive teams on the court for years to come, and just might end up with yet another state championship which has been your goal from the day you became the head coach of the Trojans.

Looking forward to summer basketball and the 2024-25 season.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Jeff Lisath wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:19 am First and Foremost I would like to congratulate Coach Rick Scarberry and the Northwest Mohawk basketball team and Mohawk Nation for a convincing District Semi-final win over my Portsmouth Trojans. The Northwest kids played with a lot of enthusiasm, guts, and determination which I admire when kids play the game with passion. Northwest coaching staff had the better game plan and the kids followed it to perfection after the first quarter of the game. As for my Portsmouth Trojan basketball team, I’m very proud of every one of them. We had huge obstacles to overcome, with huge expectations in our attempt to restore or reestablish program prominence. We went 17-7 when most said we would be lucky to win five or six games. Although we were up and down all season, four of our seven losses were games we had the opportunity to win, including a buzzer-beater that cost us a share of the league title. Nevertheless, in my mind, we didn't overachieve we underachieved and certainly shouldn’t have gone out like that, as we lost our composure when things didn't go our way. We live and we learn and we will build off this season and get better. God was good to us! “Win or Lose we will always praise Him” Good Luck to Northwest in the District Finals.
Thank you Coach Lisath. Most of the boys on the Northwest team very seldom ever miss a service at church. They definitely praise God for everything he has done for them.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Jeff Lisath wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:19 am First and Foremost I would like to congratulate Coach Rick Scarberry and the Northwest Mohawk basketball team and Mohawk Nation for a convincing District Semi-final win over my Portsmouth Trojans. The Northwest kids played with a lot of enthusiasm, guts, and determination which I admire when kids play the game with passion. Northwest coaching staff had the better game plan and the kids followed it to perfection after the first quarter of the game. As for my Portsmouth Trojan basketball team, I’m very proud of every one of them. We had huge obstacles to overcome, with huge expectations in our attempt to restore or reestablish program prominence. We went 17-7 when most said we would be lucky to win five or six games. Although we were up and down all season, four of our seven losses were games we had the opportunity to win, including a buzzer-beater that cost us a share of the league title. Nevertheless, in my mind, we didn't overachieve we underachieved and certainly shouldn’t have gone out like that, as we lost our composure when things didn't go our way. We live and we learn and we will build off this season and get better. God was good to us! “Win or Lose we will always praise Him” Good Luck to Northwest in the District Finals.
Well spoken Coach.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

Coach Lisath always a class act! PHS basketball literally couldn’t be in better hands.

Return to “Boys Basketball”