SOC sweeps OVC

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

SOC sweeps OVC

Post by Eugene2009 »

Great showing by the SOC teams! No debate on which conference was better.

Not shocked by NW absolutely spanking Portsmouth either. They were the more complete team & Portsmouth played sloppy like they have at times this year. Berry did a lot but didn’t have enough help.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: SOC sweeps OVC

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I wouldn’t brag about it. Minford won but can’t say they looked great. Burg looked like crap and barely beat SP who didn’t have Lovely for a lot of the game. NW beat a subpar Portsmouth team that had 1 true scoring option.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm I wouldn’t brag about it. Minford won but can’t say they looked great. Burg looked like crap and barely beat SP who didn’t have Lovely for a lot of the game. NW beat a subpar Portsmouth team that had 1 true scoring option.
💯

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

No dominant area teams this year, I doubt any area team heads to Dayton this year

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 pm I wouldn’t brag about it. Minford won but can’t say they looked great. Burg looked like crap and barely beat SP who didn’t have Lovely for a lot of the game. NW beat a subpar Portsmouth team that had 1 true scoring option.
Lovely was in for most of the game he might have sat for 5 minutes or less and he was in the ballgame at the end Burg just played good defense against him Burgs defense is under rated but they really get after it from start to finish

Burg grad 85
Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

parody my friends. there’s a lot of talent in the Convo

they may not be world beaters, but Basketball in Southern Ohio is a good product.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

scott1297 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:45 pm
Lovely was in for most of the game he might have sat for 5 minutes or less and he was in the ballgame at the end Burg just played good defense against him Burgs defense is under rated but they really get after it from start to finish
Poor guy had the belly worms the only reason we won 🤣 No one mentions Burg played the entire season without their senior starting PG

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

522Pirate wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:19 pm
Poor guy had the belly worms the only reason we won 🤣 No one mentions Burg played the entire season without their senior starting PG
Nobody else mentions what Burg basketball looks like if Lattimore stayed at Portsmouth.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

In the words of Herm Edwards, “You play to win the game.” Come Convo time it was the SOC teams advancing while the OVC teams are going home. You can argue all day, but the fact is the SOC will have 4 teams playing for a district title and the OVC will have none. Hats off, play better next year.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Bfan99 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:49 pm

Nobody else mentions what Burg basketball looks like if Lattimore stayed at Portsmouth.
I didn’t realize you were a transfer crier…nobody mentions what Burg basketball looks like if they had Estep and Lattimore either…cry yourself to sleep tonight I guess 🤷🏽

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

What are you talking about? Minford was down 6 at half and beat the brakes off Fairland in the 2nd half winning by 13 and they done it by pounding it inside and playing strong defense. Burg looked like crap also? Was it the 5/9 shooting behind the 3 point line in the 1st half Lovely played most of the game and SP didn’t get back into the game until he went to the bench and Burg decided to shoot 7-20 from the FT Line let’s not forget Burg is doing these things with a young roster they’re probably a year ahead of schedule. NW beat a good Portsmouth team by 22 points. Wow talk about not giving teams credit, it’s no big deal it’s the simple truth to the statement and let’s not forget South Webster is still going also the SOC conference is strong this year. OVC is done and Ironton with all the size and talent couldn’t beat NA no real surprise though as NA is a very complete and well coached team.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:08 pm parody my friends. there’s a lot of talent in the Convo

they may not be world beaters, but Basketball in Southern Ohio is a good product.
parity is the word you're looking for.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bfan99 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:49 pm

I think that’s been mentioned😂

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:02 am
Elijah Craig wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:08 pm parody my friends. there’s a lot of talent in the Convo

parity is the word you're looking for.
thank you for the correction

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

I have read alot, but never posted here before. I have watched basketball in the Southeast District for 20+ years and I agree with those that believe this is a result of parity in our area. Going in, I too believed the OVC was stronger than the other conferences. Now, I just believe they were "deeper" with quality teams.

South Point vs Burg-Burg wins, but could have went the other way if Lovely played an above average game.

Northwest dominated Portsmouth, but Portsmouth has been insanely inconsistent all season. Many of their games have made zero sense.

Minford over Fairland, but Fairland led at times and other than a 3 minute stretch that dug a double digit hole, the teams were even this game. Minford has significantly more talent. If Minford would use Kayser more on the offensive end then I believe they would be very difficult to beat. But, since they do not, don't be surprised if North Adams beats them again with a less overall talented team in my opinion.

North Adams over Ironton, but Ironton recovered from an 18 point deficit and also appeared to be the more talented and more athletic team. Questionable shots at bad times by role players prevented a Tiger Victory.

I guess what I am saying is the same games could be played this Saturday with completely different results and that's the beauty of tourney basketball. You only have to be better once.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 am I have read alot, but never posted here before. I have watched basketball in the Southeast District for 20+ years and I agree with those that believe this is a result of parity in our area. Going in, I too believed the OVC was stronger than the other conferences. Now, I just believe they were "deeper" with quality teams.

South Point vs Burg-Burg wins, but could have went the other way if Lovely played an above average game.

Northwest dominated Portsmouth, but Portsmouth has been insanely inconsistent all season. Many of their games have made zero sense.

Minford over Fairland, but Fairland led at times and other than a 3 minute stretch that dug a double digit hole, the teams were even this game. Minford has significantly more talent. If Minford would use Kayser more on the offensive end then I believe they would be very difficult to beat. But, since they do not, don't be surprised if North Adams beats them again with a less overall talented team in my opinion.

North Adams over Ironton, but Ironton recovered from an 18 point deficit and also appeared to be the more talented and more athletic team. Questionable shots at bad times by role players prevented a Tiger Victory.

I guess what I am saying is the same games could be played this Saturday with completely different results and that's the beauty of tourney basketball. You only have to be better once.
Completely agree!

Tournament basketball is all about “survive and advance.” The best teams don’t always win, and upsets are going to happen. At this point, teams cannot take any game for granted.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 am I have read alot, but never posted here before. I have watched basketball in the Southeast District for 20+ years and I agree with those that believe this is a result of parity in our area. Going in, I too believed the OVC was stronger than the other conferences. Now, I just believe they were "deeper" with quality teams.

A lot of
“buts”in that statement. Most burg games have went that way this season. You come away thinking they could have lost

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

fbnut wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:09 pm

A lot of
“buts”in that statement. Most burg games have went that way this season. You come away thinking they could have lost
Agree!
Im just pointing out that OVC went down big, but SOC did not dominate in that they were no contest. Portsmouth was dominated in their game, but thats just the way they have been this year...win by 20/lose by 20. CRAZY.

The other teams/games were very contested and competitive and could have went either way is all that I an saying.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SoutheastHoopsWizard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:46 pm
fbnut wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:09 pm

A lot of
Agree!
Im just pointing out that OVC went down big, but SOC did not dominate in that they were no contest. Portsmouth was dominated in their game, but thats just the way they have been this year...win by 20/lose by 20. CRAZY.

The other teams/games were very contested and competitive and could have went either way is all that I an saying.
All the convo teams this past weekend looked the same.

Here's why the teams who won, won.

Burg vs. South Point - Burg more depth. Lattimore does put up a lot of points but he is prone to turning it over and force shots. Can offset some of his production.

Northwest vs Portsmouth - Northwest played disciplined basketball. Portsmouth played like a pick up game.

Minford vs Fairland - Minford got hot late in game.

Ironton vs North Adams - North Adams Made Ironton play half court basketball in first half then North Adams was strong enough to hold off the pressure of Ironton.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Nice write up but it’s a huge write up in an elegant way with the same excuses others made. But this, if that it’s not how it works, Portsmouth inconsistent all season but a solid team that got beat by 22 it’s not like they made a mistake here and there. If Lovely played an above average game jeez, zero credit yet again to Burg, SP played its best ball with Lovely on the bench. IF burg had made its free throws it would’ve been another 15-20 point win. Minford has zero depth and relies on 3 guys Fairland couldn’t figure that out. Minford 2nd half just attacked the paint they weren’t knocking down 3s. Ironton just played a North Adams team that plays like a complete team and most who haven’t seen them don’t understand, as I said before the game NA is always undersized and they’ll never pass that eye test when you see their team vs others but they just get the job done. Doesn’t matter because in the end you’re basically saying that all 4 OVC teams on the same day just couldn’t step up to the moment.

Return to “Boys Basketball”