D-II Convo Final - New Lex vs. Warren

Hookshot
Varsity

D-II Convo Final - New Lex vs. Warren

Post by Hookshot »

Saturday at 2:00 pm. What kind of game will we see between these two successful teams?

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Re: D-II Convo Final - New Lex vs. Warren

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

New Lex is strong enough defensively they can make a game of this, and maybe pull off the upset. Hanson and Stephens will need to have productive games I would think to offset the likely points generated by Stadelman and Taylor. Warriors are very good defensively as well so I expect a game under 50 points. Having said all of this, if Warren plays near its best and New Lex does not, it could be 15 or 20-point game.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

New Lex's defense will keep them in this game. If the Panthers hit some 3s, I think they win. Monday night was my first time watching New Lex this season and I really don't think they have gotten as much respect on here as they deserve. They have 21 wins and have beaten Sheridan, Tri-Valley, Miami Trace, and now Marietta. Not even sure a New Lex win would be much of an upset. I do expect it to be low scoring, but I see this one coming down to wire.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

I think Warren wins, but it should be a good game. NL's guards can really make plays and shoot it. They are well-coached and should be fine if Warren presses them or tries to speed them up. That being said, Warren is really good, with two key guys and some really solid role players. I don't think NL will be able to keep Warren off the glass, and Stadleman can create for himself in a way none of Marietta's guards could.

But then again, if NL is allowed to play defense the way they did on Monday without racking up the fouls, they might have the advantage.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

New Lex loses the battle on the boards nearly every game. Didn’t they get doubled up against Marietta? Their strength is in their guard play and shooting. As another poster mentioned, they also can be a deadly 3 point shooting team. Their guards can get to the hole at will against anyone and do not get into foul trouble, which is imperative as they only play 6-7 guys. Its hilarious that foul calls is why Marietta lost, not their atrocious in the paint scoring and their ineptness at the free throw line.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

MVLfan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:40 pm New Lex loses the battle on the boards nearly every game. Didn’t they get doubled up against Marietta? Their strength is in their guard play and shooting. As another poster mentioned, they also can be a deadly 3 point shooting team. Their guards can get to the hole at will against anyone and do not get into foul trouble, which is imperative as they only play 6-7 guys. Its hilarious that foul calls is why Marietta lost, not their atrocious in the paint scoring and their ineptness at the free throw line.
Marietta scored the vast majority of its points “in the paint.” And in another post you stated New Lex has one of the best front courts in the area, which I don’t understand.

MVLfan
Waterboy

Post by MVLfan »

Marietta scored the vast majority of its points “in the paint.” And in another post you stated New Lex has one of the best front courts in the area, which I don’t understand.
[/quote]

My apologies for using the wrong term for guard play; I said front court instead of backcourt. I should have went back and edited.
I agree that they had most of their points in the paint, most of those on putbacks. Several contested layups did not fall, where the NL contested layups seemed to fall.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

MVLfan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:28 pm Marietta scored the vast majority of its points “in the paint.” And in another post you stated New Lex has one of the best front courts in the area, which I don’t understand.
My apologies for using the wrong term for guard play; I said front court instead of backcourt. I should have went back and edited.
I agree that they had most of their points in the paint, most of those on putbacks. Several contested layups did not fall, where the NL contested layups seemed to fall.
[/quote]

Ok, all good.

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

I believe it’s Warren’s game to lose. However, composure is going to be key in this game. Stadleman might be challenged from a physical standpoint from the way New Lexington plays. If I were Stadleman, I’d make sure to show people that he can handle the physicality (mentally and physically).

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Warren wins if everything is equal.

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

Warren by 10

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

E High wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:25 am Warren wins if everything is equal.
New Lex might run out of players if the fouls that weren't called Monday are called in this one.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

boss8 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:29 pm
New Lex might run out of players if the fouls that weren't called Monday are called in this one.
Adjust to how the game is called instead of always crying about officiating 😭

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

HamPorter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:49 pm
How exactly should a team adjust when their best player goes up for a layup and is fouled by 3 defenders, but doesn't get the call? Is he not to shoot layups anymore?

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Looks like they moved a DIII final from 6 o'clock to noon on Saturday. I understand why they did it but a bad move putting it right before the DII final. New Lex and Warren should both have large crowds.

Go Blue
SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

boss8 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:17 pm

How exactly should a team adjust when their best player goes up for a layup and is fouled by 3 defenders, but doesn't get the call? Is he not to shoot layups anymore?
Boss, of course you make an excellent point about officials not calling obvious fouls. Sometimes they don’t make those calls because the offensive player is bigger and better. Having said that, still if Marietta makes other layups and free throws they usually make they win by a fair margin. So that’s not “making adjustments” that’s just not converting scoring opportunities. The person you’re responding to has a “Marietta phobia” or something. Doesn’t respect the meteoric rise that’s occurred there.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:00 pm
boss8 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:17 pm

Boss, of course you make an excellent point about officials not calling obvious fouls. Sometimes they don’t make those calls because the offensive player is bigger and better. Having said that, still if Marietta makes other layups and free throws they usually make they win by a fair margin. So that’s not “making adjustments” that’s just not converting scoring opportunities. The person you’re responding to has a “Marietta phobia” or something. Doesn’t respect the meteoric rise that’s occurred there.
Southeast: 1) i started this thread to get some discussion about New Lexington and Warren, not to rehash a game from four days ago. 2) It seems obvious that this one person just has an anti-Marietta attitude and it's not going to go away. 3) Marietta played hard and actually accomplished much of what it wanted to do -- just missed an unusual amount of field goal attempts and free throws. It happens. Just this week the #5 D-1 team in Ohio (21-2) lost to another school with an 11-13 record in a close game. Major upset. Happens all over the state.

rmr1119
Waterboy

Post by rmr1119 »

Does anyone know if this game will have a live stream at all? Thank you.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

rmr1119 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:27 pm Does anyone know if this game will have a live stream at all? Thank you.
Yes, need a live stream please!

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Not seeing it on SOSA

Return to “Boys Basketball”