D3 Regional Semi-Final, Northwest vs. Malvern

Bucketz
Waterboy

D3 Regional Semi-Final, Northwest vs. Malvern

Post by Bucketz »

Northwest is playing really well right now and faces Malvern. Malvern defeated Martins Ferry in their District Final. Should be a good game

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: D3 Regional Semi-Final, Northwest vs. Malvern

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

NW plays like they have in the District they are going to the State final four. They hit the boards hard today and had a ton of second and third chances. They played aggressively and it worked to their advantage.

Someone needs to tell Coach Scarberry to continue to play like that because the officials in the Regionals over the years usually just have a whistle in their mouths but never blow it. Do they still bring in officials not from this District???

Good luck Mohawks!! Play like you deserve to be there because you do.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

Love this Northwest team and the community support. That being said, Malvern by 12 or more....

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

Man they beat us all over the floor fair and square. Everything I read is Malvern is legit but end of day it’s 32 min game and NW ain’t backing down I’ll be the outlier gimme NW by 2 on a buzzer beater

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck Mohawks

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Northwest isn’t deep. Keys to winning from here on out will be value ball possession, stay out of foul trouble, and make shots. Northwest is a senior laden team that can accomplish that.

I’ll go mowhawks by 3 in a low scoring game

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:03 am Northwest isn’t deep. Keys to winning from here on out will be value ball possession, stay out of foul trouble, and make shots. Northwest is a senior laden team that can accomplish that.

I’ll go mowhawks by 3 in a low scoring game
Depth is the one weakness that NW has. Malvern being a pressing team, this could come into play.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Just in the tournament, Malvern is averaging 67.5 points per game and giving up an average of 43 points per game. Oooof. They’ve played a great schedule. Beat Garaway and Maysville as well. Malvern is also long and athletic and utilizes the space of the floor from baseline to baseline.

In order for Northwest to win, they’re going to have to limit Malvern’s second chance points, rebound well, shoot a high percentage from the free throw line, and play stellar defense. All of this is very doable for Northwest. They can definitely beat Malvern.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:05 pm Just in the tournament, Malvern is averaging 67.5 points per game and giving up an average of 43 points per game. Oooof. They’ve played a great schedule. Beat Garaway and Maysville as well. Malvern is also long and athletic and utilizes the space of the floor from baseline to baseline.

In order for Northwest to win, they’re going to have to limit Malvern’s second chance points, rebound well, shoot a high percentage from the free throw line, and play stellar defense. All of this is very doable for Northwest. They can definitely beat Malvern.
Agree on your scouting report on Malvern. They have a guard, Burrino, who is outstanding. Gotta limit him. They are long, deep, and talented.

Interestingly enough, one of the criticisms they have faced from fans of other IVC schools is that they didn't have a very challenging schedule. They play in the weaker North Division of the IVC. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. They certainly didn't schedule to lose a game (no D1-3 powerhouses on the schedule), but a few of their non-conference games were against teams that had been good the last few years and then fell off this year. Garaway was down a notch from where they typically are. At the end of the day, they scheduled 22 games and won all 22 - and dominated in most of them.

Malvern has had a handful of big and talented teams over the years, but have always got stuck at the district or regional level due to some bad luck or they had to beat a Hiland, Bedford Chanel, or Richmond Hts type of team - but couldn't. So, there is a lot of pressure on that coaching staff and those kids to break through. The longer NW stays in the game in the 2nd half, the more that pressure could be a factor.

I haven't seen NW, but Malvern is an excellent basketball team. If their heads are on straight and they are focused, they will be very difficult for anyone to beat. FWIW

HHS
Waterboy

Post by HHS »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:05 pm They’ve played a great schedule.
Gonna have to disagree there. Weak schedule outside 4-5 games tops.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

HHS wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:16 pm
Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:05 pm They’ve played a great schedule.
Gonna have to disagree there. Weak schedule outside 4-5 games tops.
Top to bottom yes but the beat D2 regional qualifier Maysville on the road by nearly 20 points and Maysville is better than everyone in the IVC besides Malvern. They are talented for sure

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

Best of luck to northwest! Malvern will be a tough challenge, but thats expected in the regionals.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

I have all the schedule's and scores of the East District teams in d3 and d4, Malvern beat Maysville by a score of 74-64 they pulled away late in the second half,you make Malvern play half court defense,the rumor is that they don't guard well in the half court,beat there press and then play good half court offense, you will be in the game here's Malvern's schedule for the season
59-36 Smithville d3 10-15
87-41 Ridgewood d3 5-18
67-50 Buckeye Trail d3 15-8
66-32 Tusky Catholic d4 5-18
75-20 Conotton Valley d4 6-16
73-30 Strasburg d4 9-15
77-69 East Canton d4 17-7
65-52 Kidron Christian d4 10-13
74-64 Maysville d2 23-3 best team they played
87-38 Newcomerstown d4 5-17
59-44 Tusky Valley d3 9-14
49-33 Minerva d2 15-10
75-41 Akron East d2 4-18
88-60 Tusky Catholic d4 5-18
79-26 Conotton Valley d4 6-16
71-55 Strasburg d4 9-15
55-50 East Canton d4 17-7
74-32 Newcomerstown d4 5-17
56-49 Garaway d3 15-9
59-52 Indian Valley d2 21-5
67-47 River Local d4 13-10
70-33 Buckeye Trail d3 15-8

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

NW plays basic basketball and it works. Nothing flashy. Just a basic game plan, play defense, rebound, and run their offense. They got their confidence during the regular season and that allowed them to that confidence into the tournament.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats and good luck against Malvern. Northwest is the best team in Scioto County and there still whining about the refs and even calling them by name on the other thread. lol Itnt it ridiculous they can't get it out of there heads that Northwest ran all over them and think certain refs made them lose. Sorry commentary I think! Make Southern Ohio proud this week !

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I believe Northwest can be right in the game , if they play like they have, strong defense smart with ball and stay with Coach Scarberry game plan!

SoutheastHoopsWizard
Waterboy

Post by SoutheastHoopsWizard »

Prime Time wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:30 pm I believe Northwest can be right in the game , if they play like they have, strong defense smart with ball and stay with Coach Scarberry game plan!
Agree primetime!

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I just hope that NW doesn't have a bad game because they had to play a near perfect game to beat Burg and they did that they played very well against Burg seemed everything went their way but if they play like they did against Burg I can see NW winning this game because they are mostly seniors who have seen alot of ball together and Lintz is one hell of a guard take him out of the Burg game and Burg wins handily he just seems to always be in the right place and make the right passes when needed and he is very good at driving to the basket he is gonna be the key to the game if he rolls NW moves on so good luck to the Mohawks make scioto proud 👏

Burg grad 85
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

After looking at there schedule and games played, I think Northwest has a very very good chance of winning! Good Luck!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I watched the Malvern game vs Barnesville ... looks like if you handle the defensive press - you have a good chance of winning vs MHS ... they press nearly 90+% of the time ... they score a bunch in transition off of the full to 3/4 court press ... I'm SEOhio bias - I'm going with NW to handle the pressure and make them pay at the other end with point of their own ... Malvern has length which makes their full court trapping D very effective - NW with their senior leadership still gets the nod from me ... Malvern sports 3 seniors in their starting lineup ... they shoot the 3 ball - Minor 6-4 sr. drained a number of corner 3's - he goes outside with the intent to score the 3 if you don't get out on him ... (Minor at 6-4 looks bigger to me) lots of quickness behind the length at the front of their press - can't make weak passes or it's going the other way for points ... 25-0 speaks for itself! got to value the possessions again ! - can't give the defense momentum or you'll be down double digits in a hurry ... throw in that Malvern has scorers of the ball ... I'm STILL going with NW !!! LOL I can't even talk myself into taking Malvern ... and I'm trying!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”