Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Burgnation
Waterboy

Re: Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Post by Burgnation »

Spalding22 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:34 pm
Pirates03 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:15 pm

SW’s players did not lose that game. Anyone who watched Webster all year long could have anticipated the ending of the game if they stuck to their usual strategy. You have a 17 point lead, and you blow it by trying to play stall ball. That was despicable. Embarrassing for Scioto County to be truthful. Hats off to the kids. They played some of the best ball they’ve played all year. They should not have lost. I said it at the beginning of the year, and it holds true. Coaching will beat them in the tournament not the kids. It did. I just did not expect it from a coach with that many wins. Spalding out.
So my understanding is that norm and Fenton turned the ball over in critical moments and missed 2 huge free throws. Yes there were some coaching errors but it doesn’t change the fact that when they had a 23-7 lead it was the players were doing this and the players were doing that. But when they blew the lead it turns to the coaches are the one that lost the game.
No, but the coaches had the wrong players in the game, tried to play stall ball, and Hilands defense exposed their biggest weakness. Ball handling. You can’t run stall ball plays beginning the second half when you have been known to turn the ball over when certain people put the ball on the floor. I’m not saying those players aren’t good or shouldnt be in the game, you just simply can’t force them to put the ball on the floor when they are turnover prone. You play to their strengths. Not their weaknesses. If you’re going to play stall ball in the 3rd, you better have your best 5 ball handlers on the floor. That’s giving the game away. 17 point lead at one point. 13 point lead at half time. You put on the breaks? Make sense, buddy?
Your best ball handlers on the floor tonight weren’t too hot either. If I’m not mistaken, most of them missed wide open shots, threw the ball out of bounds, couldn’t make a smart pass because they were so anxious of getting rid of it, made many turnovers, and, on top of it, took shots that didn’t need to be taken. I'm pretty sure they don’t even know how to properly “stall” the ball because they can’t handle being under pressure in a game. SW let them take the lead by making stupid decisions on the court. Highland read the players and out smarted them.
They played a great season, and it’s great they made it as far as they did tonight. Great accomplishment for South Webster. But it’s the players' game at the end of the night, not the coaches.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

One thing Hiland will always do is beat teams that have one guy who does all the offense. If you want to beat Hiland, you have to have multiple guys who can create their own shot. I thought Sommer being quiet tonight on offense was a major factor. Roberts did his, but I don't think anyone else on SW had more than 6 points (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Hiland is always the king. South Webster won't have to face them next year with 7 divisions, so that is something good when considering how much comes back to this team with a great JV team on the way.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Pirates03 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:19 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:55 pm

No, but the coaches had the wrong players in the game, tried to play stall ball, and Hilands defense exposed their biggest weakness. Ball handling. You can’t run stall ball plays beginning the second half when you have been known to turn the ball over when certain people put the ball on the floor. I’m not saying those players aren’t good or shouldnt be in the game, you just simply can’t force them to put the ball on the floor when they are turnover prone. You play to their strengths. Not their weaknesses. If you’re going to play stall ball in the 3rd, you better have your best 5 ball handlers on the floor. That’s giving the game away. 17 point lead at one point. 13 point lead at half time. You put on the breaks? Make sense, buddy?
Small things, but they never led by 17 and it was 11 at the half. I know you are just exaggerating to make whatever point you are trying to, but I also want things to be correct if people are throwing out “facts”
They were up 23-7 at one point in the game and up by 15 in the 3rd!
Oh excuse my 2 point hyperbole, the extreme exaggeration just negated my argument. Haha No point in trying to explain something to somebody who has no intention of understanding, or rather is incapable. Nonetheless, huge fumble. As said by others above, you have the better team, and you were up 15. If the point of coaching isn’t to prevent those things from happening, and prevent those things from happening, with a better team, I don’t know what the requisites or purpose of being a coach is in southern Ohio.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Burgnation wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:28 pm
Pirates03 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 pm

So my understanding is that norm and Fenton turned the ball over in critical moments and missed 2 huge free throws. Yes there were some coaching errors but it doesn’t change the fact that when they had a 23-7 lead it was the players were doing this and the players were doing that. But when they blew the lead it turns to the coaches are the one that lost the game.
Your best ball handlers on the floor tonight weren’t too hot either. If I’m not mistaken, most of them missed wide open shots, threw the ball out of bounds, couldn’t make a smart pass because they were so anxious of getting rid of it, made many turnovers, and, on top of it, took shots that didn’t need to be taken. I'm pretty sure they don’t even know how to properly “stall” the ball because they can’t handle being under pressure in a game. SW let them take the lead by making stupid decisions on the court. Highland read the players and out smarted them.
They played a great season, and it’s great they made it as far as they did tonight. Great accomplishment for South Webster. But it’s the players' game at the end of the night, not the coaches.
Oh, we have a wheelersburg aristocrat speaking. Please, everyone be quiet and pay attention.

Burgnation
Waterboy

Post by Burgnation »

Spalding22 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:07 am

Oh, we have a wheelersburg aristocrat speaking. Please, everyone be quiet and pay attention.

Everyone’s entitled to act stupid once in a while, but you really abuse the privilege. It’s a HS basketball game and the stats are sitting right in front of you. Heck, were we even watching the same game, or?

Appreciate you giving your fellow “ruling” social class time to speak!

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Burgnation wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:36 am

Everyone’s entitled to act stupid once in a while, but you really abuse the privilege. It’s a HS basketball game and the stats are sitting right in front of you. Heck, were we even watching the same game, or?

So stats and errors can’t be the result of mismanagement? darn. Get me some tea and crumpets. “He’s my best friends friend, I know him, it could never be his fault.” Hahaha this is great.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 pm Not blaming Eli for missing those foul shots. His hip or something was definitely hurting him.

As for whites foul, don’t bitch about when the horse collar tackle wasn’t called in the first quarter either.
Guess you’re not blaming the team for 21 turnovers or missing the most open layup in HS history? If that’s the case then there’s no blame that’s the thing, the moment got too big for them especially when Hiland started coming back. I’d say if you talked to the players they were just simply gassed for that 4th quarter no depth really hurt. I 💯 agree with you on the horse collar tackle I actually yelled it at the computer but then at the end the tackle wasn’t called again. I think the biggest thing I disagreed with, coaches should’ve talked to Eli when he got foul #3 and told him to be cautious not sit him for so long to big a game and momentum was swinging.

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

The missed opportunity really was at halftime. Southwebstern needed the equivalent of a NASCAR pit crew ready in the locker room to knock out the much needed diaper change. Then the kids wouldn’t have needed to hold their breath while in the bench area in second half. To me that’s an easy explanation for why they looked gassed late in the game. You can’t get rest while holding your breath.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:02 pm Not blaming Eli for missing those foul shots. His hip or something was definitely hurting him.

As for whites foul, don’t bitch about when the horse collar tackle wasn’t called in the first quarter either.
Rewatching the game — how much time on the clock when the horse collar occurred?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Spalding22 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:44 am
Burgnation wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:36 am

So stats and errors can’t be the result of mismanagement? darn. Get me some tea and crumpets. “He’s my best friends friend, I know him, it could never be his fault.” Hahaha this is great.
when is the last time, if ever, have you blamed 21 turnovers on the coach?

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

DatAppalachian wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:22 pm The players made some mistakes, but they played their hearts out. The coaches made some mistakes but the team was obviously well prepared. That can be said of either team.

The refs missed some calls but were, in my opinion, pretty consistent and did not unduly influence the game.

This game simply came down to the smothering defense of the Hawks. Their in-your-face style allowed some open shots early on and put them in bad positioning for rebounds. Webster capitalized. But the Jeeps slowly wore out, as any team would. The only difference between the first 12 minutes of that game (when Webster absolutely dominated) and the last 12 (when Berlin Hiland dominated) was the Jeeps were running on empty -- every pass weaker, every step slower. But darn if it wasn't fun to watch Webster play at their best, even if only for a half.

Good luck Hawks! I'll be there next weekend rooting for you.
Finally a post I can agree with 100%, well said DatAppalachian

Barn Baller
Waterboy

Post by Barn Baller »

Have not watched S Webster much. I agree that the Jeeps got worn down. They played their hearts out. But imo if they stay aggressive and kids look to score there's no way Hiland wins that game. It looked like the kids thought Roberts basically had to touch the ball and they passed up some open drives and shots. Roberts is a stud no doubt but that body language comes with it
Complete team effort by Hiland. Theve got kids that have been their before. Playing against the best teams in the state through the season is what makes Hiland a tough out even with injuries.

Crazykid33
Waterboy

Post by Crazykid33 »

The South Webster boys played good last night, they just got worn out. Good luck to the jeeps next season.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

It sounded like Hiland just started double and triple teaming Roberts and no one else stepped up for SW. Game sounded like it got really physical, especially in the second half but that's usually the norm in the Regionals. Never been a fan of how they call every little thing all season and then come the Regionals and State games they let the teams beat the living hell out of each other with no calls. Makes it hard on teams who don't play a physical style of ball.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I see spalding22 is trying to poke at the Burg community again

And apparently has picked a bone of contention with the coaching there at Webster

Adding that up he’s probably from burg, or don’t like the burg kids getting playing time or has not been offered a coaching job at Webster. Whatever the reason, he’s very touchy about it.

I thought websters hot start would be enough to carry them over but it wasn’t. Most competitive basketball games are about runs. Coaches try to manage those as best they can with their timeouts, line up changes, etc.

I said in the beginning, that Hiland didn’t have an answer for Roberts and that they did for the others and that those guys would have to ball out. They did for the first and half of the 3rd. But they needed to the whole game.

Still a great run and an elite 8 is a great season

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:43 am

Rewatching the game — how much time on the clock when the horse collar occurred?
Does it matter? Should’ve been two shots and the ball back.

We had a nice year. 23-4 one of the best in south webster history.

Thank you Tyler and Jack and Brock for your contributions this season. It was a fun ride.

STATE BOUND SOUTH WEBSTERN WILL BE BACK FOR THE D7 TITLE NEXT SEASON

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan. :)

Might apply here.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:00 am

Thank you Tyler and Jack and Brock for your contributions this season. It was a fun ride.

C’mon Swanker, YES my question matters. I’m rewatching the game and I wanted to look at that play. I didn’t notice it the two times I’ve watched the first quarter. I can just watch it again and look more carefully.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:27 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:00 am

C’mon Swanker, YES my question matters. I’m rewatching the game and I wanted to look at that play. I didn’t notice it the two times I’ve watched the first quarter. I can just watch it again and look more carefully.
Maybe it was the 2nd quarter. You couldn’t miss it. Whitey got horse collared

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Crazykid33
Waterboy

Post by Crazykid33 »

Everyone on here should go get on Spotify and listen to the podcast Southeast Ohio Sports News

Return to “Boys Basketball”