Seven Divisions Won't Change This Problem

Post by radiodavel »

Seven Divisions Won't Change This Problem
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2024 ... is-problem

baseball16
All State

Re: Seven Divisions Won't Change This Problem

Post by baseball16 »

No but it will put more $$$ in OH$AA pockets.

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

All the teams already make the tournament so there will be a nearly identical amount of overall tournament games. Before you tell me I’m incorrect, I’ve counted the tournament games and done the math. Same amount of games means same amount of money.

As far as the problem everyone seems to have with Richmond Heights and Purcell, public schools get plenty of athletes that open enroll, students can transfer prior to their freshman year and there are plenty of ways to do it after that as well. These rules apply to any athlete in the state. It just doesn’t seem to happen as much in the SE district and even if it does, the transfers don’t result in multiple state championships. Talent attracts talents.

In my opinion, Richmond Heights boys and Purcell Marian girls teams being all or nearly all African American is a huge reason for the discussion. Lots of small town mindset and judgement.

The 7 division ruling also comes with a ruling that any team can compete at the D1 level. So, if these two teams choose to do that, maybe the ruling will then have done some good in some people’s minds, despite it creating three more state champions that would not have had the opportunity without the ruling.

trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

This is obviously the biggest issue we have in Ohio high school sports and it certainly has nothing to do with race. All of the numbers and FACTS tell us that these private schools are taking advantage of this incredibly broken system. The OHSAA allows these schools to cheat and thats exactly what they do.

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

sinjinian wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm All the teams already make the tournament so there will be a nearly identical amount of overall tournament games. Before you tell me I’m incorrect, I’ve counted the tournament games and done the math. Same amount of games means same amount of money.
I disagree, it is potentially more money. There might be the same number of games but the OHSAA charges more for each level you make it to. Regional games have higher ticket prices than District games, state more than regional etc. Now you have added 3 more divisions doing the same and you have potentially more money. Im not sure how the tourney will look but I can say I would be shocked if the OHSAA didnt do the same kind of thing.

They will promote that it gives more teams a chance to advance, better balance, etc etc but in reality it is more money.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Exactly, Let's look at the numbers at the state level, Higher tix prices of course.... Now 4 divisions = 16 Teams in the State Tournament Add 7 Divisions and that = 28 Teams in the State Tournament. 12 More teams = More $$$$$$$ More $$$$$$

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

During one of the girls state tournament games, an OHSAA official was interviewed about the state of the OHSAA. She revealed that not too long ago that the OHSAA did not have much of a reserve fund, but now that fund is around 8 million. Can't help but think the OHSAA will monetarily benefit from going to a 7 division system, and that reserve fund will continue to grow. What it's used for I don't know, but I think I can assume that the employees of the OHSAA aren't on government assistance.

At the same time, though, 7 divisions will give more kids a chance to at least play on the big stage. I know the "participation trophy" opponents probably have a strong dislike for what's coming next year, but I am one that if 7 divisions will get more kids off the couch knowing that they have a now more tangible goal of getting medals and trophies, I'm all for it. More participation can never be a bad thing considering that this is the fattest generation of kids in US history.

There will always be teams like Richmond Heights, Lutheran East, Purcell Marian, and so on, but as for me they're not going to ruin the experience of watching and enjoying high school sports.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Seven Divisions will not help with any problem that is facing the OHSAA and in my opinion will only add to the problems. Anybody that doesn't think the change will add a huge profit to the OHSAA has not done their homework.

Sinjinian made the statement that he totaled up the number of tournament games that will be played under the 7 Division system. His calculation says there will be close to the same amount of games played as the 4 class system. So his thought process is "Same amount of tournament games means same amount of money". Unfortunately he is basing his thought off the fact the same number of games will be played at each level. They will not. Most sectional games will be eliminated because there won't be as many teams in each division and there won't need to be as many rounds of games to get to the championship game. But because there are more division there will be more games played at the district, regional and state level. There is where the huge profit for the OHSAA is. The money from sectional and district tournament games goes to each athletic district board (Central, East, Southwest, SE, etc.) but the money from the Regional and State Tournaments goes to the OHSAA. SOOOOOO .... in the 4 class system the OHSAA was making the profit off 60 tournament games. (32 Regional Semi-Finals; 16 Regional Finals; 8 State Semi-Finals; 4 State Finals) Under the 7 Division system the OHSAA will profit off 106 Tournament games. (56 Regional Semi-Finals; 28 Regional Finals; 14 State Semi-Finals; 7 State Finals). So the overall revenue may be somewhat close to the 4 class system, but who gets that money will drastically change. Anybody that does not know this change is all about money then they do not understand the structure of the OHSAA.

As far as giving more kids the opportunity to play on the big stage is a TOTAL misconception and a narrative painted by the OHSAA. The 7 class system will provide 6 more teams a chance to play in the state finals. (2 in Div. V; 2 in Div. VI; and 2 in Div. VII) But they are eliminating 8 teams from playing on the big stage. Yes ..... 8 teams. By going to the 7 Division system they are eliminating the Final Four. There will no longer be a Final Four. So the 8 teams that lose in the semi-finals will not get a chance to play on the Big State. Don't get me wrong a Regional Championship is an amazing accomplishment but to play on the state championship floor, in the city of the state championship location and on the same weekend is the Big Stage. In the 7 class system all state semi-finals will be played at neutral sites between the two participating schools. (Just like football) So most teams will be playing in the same venues as they played their regional tournament. It will be great to be regional champions but when you talk about the "Play Stage" these venues will not provide the same experience as Dayton Arena. Perfect example is this year's Portsmouth girl's team, Fairland's girl's team and last year's Wheelersburg girl's team. These teams would have played their state semi-finals at either Logan H.S. again or possibly at the Convo or Ohio Dominican. Each venues provides a great experience but would it provide as good as experience as Dayton? Are you going to take your team for an overnight trip for one game like they did at Dayton? So the narrative that more kids get to play on the big state is a misconception planted by the OHSAA to make more money.

Of course everybody has their own opinion and this is just my opinion.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:09 am Exactly, Let's look at the numbers at the state level, Higher tix prices of course.... Now 4 divisions = 16 Teams in the State Tournament Add 7 Divisions and that = 28 Teams in the State Tournament. 12 More teams = More $$$$$$$ More $$$$$$
It’s really just 14 teams, not 28, because they aren’t going to have the semi’s at one central location like they have now. So, technically they’ll be bringing in less at the state tournament than usual.

However, the prices go up at each level, so they’ll still be able to bring in more money, just not as much as if it was centralized. But, that also will spread fans out, costing the arenas and gyms they use concession/parking money, which will likely lead to prices going up again to cover the building costs which will eventually go up to cover the other costs.

No offense to the Convo, but playing a state semi in an arena that is 35% full won’t feel the same as playing in the central location. And that’s even if they would consider bringing a school over this way (they won’t)

Chilly
Waterboy

Post by Chilly »

I support going from 4 divisions to 7. If the OHSAA makes more money off of it, what’s the problem? Why shouldn’t they make more money? More teams get a shot to win a district, regional, state, etc. Personally, I find that hard to argue with regardless of the details.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Chilly wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 pm I support going from 4 divisions to 7. If the OHSAA makes more money off of it, what’s the problem? Why shouldn’t they make more money? More teams get a shot to win a district, regional, state, etc. Personally, I find that hard to argue with regardless of the details.

I m not against OH$AA making money . But spend it back on the schools. If you look at the OH$AA website just look at all the people they pay for senseless jobs where the majority of them don’t even do their job effectively. Money goes to perks for people involved. 10 million surplus for a non profit organization is insane.

Return to “Boys Basketball”