Summer Ball

Jeeps_06
Waterboy

Summer Ball

Post by Jeeps_06 »

With school almost out for the summer does anyone know of any summer scrimmages or shootouts that south Webster will be at thank you in advance

samsonwilliams
Waterboy

Re: Summer Ball

Post by samsonwilliams »

Yes, do you want to join? I'll take you there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeeps_06
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps_06 »

samsonwilliams wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:51 am Yes, do you want to join? I'll take you there :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am just a fan that can't wait for basketball season to start I know teams usually do scrimmages.and things during the summer

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'm heading to the Warren Summer Shootout on May 31st ...

Varsity:
Warren
Logan
Fairfield union
Racine southern
Belpre
Caldwell
Hillsboro
Waterford
River Valley
Alexander

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:02 pm I'm heading to the Warren Summer Shootout on May 31st ...

Varsity:
Warren
Logan
Fairfield union
Racine southern
Belpre
Caldwell
Hillsboro
Waterford
River Valley
Alexander
looking forward to your report.

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

Warren is live-streaming the Summer Shootout games: https://www.youtube.com/@WarrenHighSchoolAthletics

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 6:40 am
pfloyd wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:02 pm I'm heading to the Warren Summer Shootout on May 31st ...

Varsity:
Warren
Logan
Fairfield union
Racine southern
Belpre
Caldwell
Hillsboro
Waterford
River Valley
Alexander
Hookshot - it was a great day of hoops ... I was there from 11 to 4:15 or so ... didn't stay for the tournament side /only the pool action ... summer ball, I never put much in it as teams play many times without the entire group of players - jobs, vacations etc. ... BUT you do get a chance to see "what" teams have, any new players, quickness, athleticism etc. Coaches are all trying to work on creating "TEAM" with returning players, incoming players off of JV or in some cases freshmen squads ... it was fun day ! one of the best run shootouts I've been to as they used 4 courts, with jv's using 2 at the middle schools and the varsity playing on the old Warriordome court and the new Warrior Coliseum court ... throw in that they had games on the big screen tv's - hospitality room, concessions ... my hat goes off to Coach Maddox , staff - well done!!!

... sure felt good getting back into a gymnasium !!! Alexander dropped out so the remaining teams filled in the Alex slots ... My take from watching all of the remaining teams :

Warren - played without Julian Stadelman - the senior to be has not recovered fully from the broken hand he sustained vs New Lex at the Convo ... 6-7 Trent Taylor has graduated - he WILL BE missed BIG TIME in the paint both on the boards and points (18+ppg/ 8-9 rpg) ... what's left ?!! everyone else !!! the Warriors will have 7-8 MORE seniors who ALL saw significant minutes last season at the varsity level ... a couple of juniors to be and soph or 2 to be ... this summer without both Tayor (grad) and Stadelman - everyone will have an opportunity to fill the role of scorer(s) ... I saw players putting the ball up with confidence - no hesitation/in the past these same players looked to be thinking before passing/shooting ... tough not having your starting pg/sg in the mix for sure BUT there will be a lot gotten out of group which remains ... defense, aggressiveness at both ends on the boards/ physicality - I saw all of this from Coach Maddox's Warriors ... inside scoring will be a question mark - Lupardus/Wells will have to step up for sure ... I feel the perimeter scoring will be the best from a Warren team for awhile ...

Hillsboro - Coach Howland introduced himself to me , we had met when he was at Fairfield Leesburg , we had a nice talk about coaching, his group coming back this season ... HHS looked as good as any team at the shootout - they were missing 2 starters but when you can have a couple of the best pg/sg's on the floor at the same time - you have a lot to work with - Tate Davis ( the FAC Player of the Year last season) along with Jack Howland (made the ALL FAC team as a freshman last season) are like having 2 coaches ON the court ... scoring/quickness/ball handling ... add to the mix for this coming season 6-5 Xander Lake from East Clinton - nice big man at both ends of the floor - soft hands in the paint/good on the boards at both ends of the floor ... I put a star beside Hillsboro as they will be in the top 25 teams when the preseason rankings roll out.

Belpre - I really wanted to catch Coach Leasure's group ... I was impressed last season with the big man in the middle 6-5 or 6-6 Junior Bass (sr) & sr to be Nasaith Spencer (who I watched get 18 pts vs South Webster last season) ... from the games at Warren both Bass & Spencer are as good as I expected - they have quickness and length in the other players - they look to have a short bench BUT I liked what I saw for Belpre ...

Fairfield Union - lost their 2 big scorers in Schmelzer & Redding as well as size ... coaches Shaeffer and Helber are as good as they come ... FU will be young with lots of sophs getting PT but Keegan Arnett (sr) will be solid in the paint with board help from Hunter Clark ... last season FU struggled coming up with a pg to distribute the ball which meant either Schmelzer or Redding had to be run the show on the perimeter - this coming year? I saw an FU team that imo will be a better scoring team than last season - as the team wasn't trying to FIND the 2 go to guys - more of a TEAM where everyone is capable of scoring and will have to take on that role for FU ... might be a year away BUT I liked what I saw from FU ...

Logan - young, athletic squad for 1st year Logan head coach, Coach Hayes ... the key words are young/talented ... both coach and players were energetic/ got after it at both ends of the court ... with youth comes the lack of varsity experience - the summer will be important in the adjustment from jv to the varsity stage ... the Chiefs lack bigs/ they have the complimentary group of 6-1 to 6-4 bodies - when you lack in size you have to have good fundamentals / taking care of the ball a must (Logan had multiple games last season with 20+ turnovers)... lots of work needed this summer ... in the last game I watched Logan beat FU by 1 late in the day ... developing a winning atmosphere will be big this summer along with discipline on the court ... an OCC league schedule awaits the Purple & White ... names to keep in mind - Bryce Blair (jr)/ Daniel Bauers (soph) ...

Southern looked better than I thought they would going into yesterday along with River Valley ... I didn't get to see Waterford ...

... I got to spend time chatting with Coach Howie Caldwell (retired HC Trimble)/Coach Howland (Hillsboro)/Coach Maddox & his staff (Warren)/ Coach Helber (FU) ... anytime you can talk hoops with these gentlemen - it's a good day ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Just saw on the other thread that Southern won the Shootout Tournament - excellent job by Coach Caldwell's Tornadoes ... only saw them in one game but they looked good shooting the rock ...

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:08 pm

Varsity:
Warren
Logan
Fairfield union
Racine southern
Belpre
Caldwell
Hillsboro
Waterford
River Valley
Alexander
Hookshot - it was a great day of hoops ... I was there from 11 to 4:15 or so ... didn't stay for the tournament side /only the pool action ... summer ball, I never put much in it as teams play many times without the entire group of players - jobs, vacations etc. ... BUT you do get a chance to see "what" teams have, any new players, quickness, athleticism etc. Coaches are all trying to work on creating "TEAM" with returning players, incoming players off of JV or in some cases freshmen squads ... it was fun day ! one of the best run shootouts I've been to as they used 4 courts, with jv's using 2 at the middle schools and the varsity playing on the old Warriordome court and the new Warrior Coliseum court ... throw in that they had games on the big screen tv's - hospitality room, concessions ... my hat goes off to Coach Maddox , staff - well done!!!

... sure felt good getting back into a gymnasium !!! Alexander dropped out so the remaining teams filled in the Alex slots ... My take from watching all of the remaining teams :

Warren - played without Julian Stadelman - the senior to be has not recovered fully from the broken hand he sustained vs New Lex at the Convo ... 6-7 Trent Taylor has graduated - he WILL BE missed BIG TIME in the paint both on the boards and points (18+ppg/ 8-9 rpg) ... what's left ?!! everyone else !!! the Warriors will have 7-8 MORE seniors who ALL saw significant minutes last season at the varsity level ... a couple of juniors to be and soph or 2 to be ... this summer without both Tayor (grad) and Stadelman - everyone will have an opportunity to fill the role of scorer(s) ... I saw players putting the ball up with confidence - no hesitation/in the past these same players looked to be thinking before passing/shooting ... tough not having your starting pg/sg in the mix for sure BUT there will be a lot gotten out of group which remains ... defense, aggressiveness at both ends on the boards/ physicality - I saw all of this from Coach Maddox's Warriors ... inside scoring will be a question mark - Lupardus/Wells will have to step up for sure ... I feel the perimeter scoring will be the best from a Warren team for awhile ...

Hillsboro - Coach Howland introduced himself to me , we had met when he was at Fairfield Leesburg , we had a nice talk about coaching, his group coming back this season ... HHS looked as good as any team at the shootout - they were missing 2 starters but when you can have a couple of the best pg/sg's on the floor at the same time - you have a lot to work with - Tate Davis ( the FAC Player of the Year last season) along with Jack Howland (made the ALL FAC team as a freshman last season) are like having 2 coaches ON the court ... scoring/quickness/ball handling ... add to the mix for this coming season 6-5 Xander Lake from East Clinton - nice big man at both ends of the floor - soft hands in the paint/good on the boards at both ends of the floor ... I put a star beside Hillsboro as they will be in the top 25 teams when the preseason rankings roll out.

Belpre - I really wanted to catch Coach Leasure's group ... I was impressed last season with the big man in the middle 6-5 or 6-6 Junior Bass (sr) & sr to be Nasaith Spencer (who I watched get 18 pts vs South Webster last season) ... from the games at Warren both Bass & Spencer are as good as I expected - they have quickness and length in the other players - they look to have a short bench BUT I liked what I saw for Belpre ...

Fairfield Union - lost their 2 big scorers in Schmelzer & Redding as well as size ... coaches Shaeffer and Helber are as good as they come ... FU will be young with lots of sophs getting PT but Keegan Arnett (sr) will be solid in the paint with board help from Hunter Clark ... last season FU struggled coming up with a pg to distribute the ball which meant either Schelzer or Redding had to be run the show on the perimeter - this coming year? I saw an FU team that imo will be a better scoring team than last season - as the team wasn't trying to FIND the 2 go to guys - more of a TEAM where everyone is capable of scoring and will have to take on that role for FU ... might be a year away BUT I liked what I saw from FU ...

Logan - young, athletic squad for 1st year Logan head coach, Coach Hayes ... the words are young/talented ... both coach and players were energetic/ got after it at both ends of the court ... with youth comes the lack of varsity experience - the summer will be important in the adjustment from jv to the varsity stage ... the Chiefs lack bigs/ they have the complimentary group of 6-1 to 6-4 bodies - when you lack in size you have to have good fundamentals / taking care of the ball a must (Logan had multiple games last season with 20+ turnovers)... lots of work needed this summer ... in the last game I watched Logan beat FU by 1 late in the day ... developing a winning atmosphere will be big this summer along with discipline on the court ... an OCC league schedule awaits the Purple & White ... names to keep in mind - Bryce Blair (jr)/ Daniel Bauers (soph) ...

Southern looked better than I thought they would going into yesterday along with River Valley ... I didn't get to see Waterford ...

... I got to spend time chatting with Coach Howie Caldwell (retired HC Trimble)/Coach Howland (Hillsboro)/Coach Maddox & his staff (Warren)/ Coach Helber (FU) ... anytime you can talk hoops with these gentlemen - it's a good day ...
Thanks for the report. I actually saw a little of the action on live stream. Also, watched Tri Valley (which looked to be in excellent midseason form) and a few others at Marietta College Saturday.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:33 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:08 pm

Fairfield Union - lost their 2 big scorers in Schmelzer & Redding as well as size ... coaches Shaeffer and Helber are as good as they come ... FU will be young with lots of sophs getting PT but Keegan Arnett (sr) will be solid in the paint with board help from Hunter Clark ... last season FU struggled coming up with a pg to distribute the ball which meant either Schelzer or Redding had to be run the show on the perimeter - this coming year? I saw an FU team that imo will be a better scoring team than last season - as the team wasn't trying to FIND the 2 go to guys - more of a TEAM where everyone is capable of scoring and will have to take on that role for FU ... might be a year away BUT I liked what I saw from FU ...

Logan - young, athletic squad for 1st year Logan head coach, Coach Hayes ... the words are young/talented ... both coach and players were energetic/ got after it at both ends of the court ... with youth comes the lack of varsity experience - the summer will be important in the adjustment from jv to the varsity stage ... the Chiefs lack bigs/ they have the complimentary group of 6-1 to 6-4 bodies - when you lack in size you have to have good fundamentals / taking care of the ball a must (Logan had multiple games last season with 20+ turnovers)... lots of work needed this summer ... in the last game I watched Logan beat FU by 1 late in the day ... developing a winning atmosphere will be big this summer along with discipline on the court ... an OCC league schedule awaits the Purple & White ... names to keep in mind - Bryce Blair (jr)/ Daniel Bauers (soph) ...

Thanks for the report. I actually saw a little of the action on live stream. Also, watched Tri Valley (which looked to be in excellent midseason form) and a few others at Marietta College Saturday.
Hookshot, did you happen to see New Lexington? They may not have been there but NL is a team I really would like to see this month - the Panthers should be loaded, could very well be my #1 in the preseason rankings ...

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

New Lex was not there at Marietta College. The better teams in the pool I mostly saw besides Tri Valley included Springfield, Franklin Monroe and Marietta.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:34 am New Lex was not there at Marietta College. The better teams in the pool I mostly saw besides Tri Valley included Springfield, Franklin Monroe and Marietta.
How did Marietta look without the 6-8 Kendall ? Britton/Wittekind/Knighten/Jones/Hawkins/ Riley/Plaugher (sp) should be very very good ...

High Fade
Waterboy

Post by High Fade »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:17 pm Just saw on the other thread that Southern won the Shootout Tournament - excellent job by Coach Caldwell's Tornadoes ... only saw them in one game but they looked good shooting the rock ...
Southern could be a sleeper in TVC Hocking

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:16 pm
Hookshot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:34 am New Lex was not there at Marietta College. The better teams in the pool I mostly saw besides Tri Valley included Springfield, Franklin Monroe and Marietta.
How did Marietta look without the 6-8 Kendall ? Britton/Wittekind/Knighten/Jones/Hawkins/ Riley/Plaugher (sp) should be very very good ...
Knighten graduated. Tigers lost 3 starters from last season -- Kendall, Knighten and Liers-Kelly.
--Wittekind, Jones and two other likely rotation players did not play Saturday so it was hard to tell much. Sill, they won their first two games. They will play hard but they will probably have trouble rebounding and outscoring opponents in faster-paced games.

Return to “Boys Basketball”