Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Post by bman »

From the Northwest...

Westfall 67
Southeastern 52

WF - Cobb 19 points, nine rebounds, four blocks
Gibson 18 points, seven assists, six steals

SE - Elam 15 points.

WF 6-2, 4-0 SVC vs. Circleville Saturday night in non-league action.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

VINTON COUNTY 65 JACKSON 41

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks Coach Kelley /bman for the rundowns ... Adena is one of those teams that needs to beat a "quality" opponent - they are 1-1 vs teams with winning records - beating Court House and losing to Piketon last night ... Westfall is in the same boat with the NUMBER of W's adding up but quality wins need to be part of their resume - that Logan Elm postponement was a big one that would have told "bunches" about Westfall ... all in all both teams are beating the teams they SHOULD be beating on their schedules - will have to take care of "bidness" vs the quality opposition when the opportunity presents itself on their schedules ...

... Piketon keeps on keepin' on - their team strength showed again last night with Coach's napkin stat showing that PHS out rebounded Adena 42-18 - wow ... I'm going to give a plug for Evan Legg - one of the best pg in Southern Ohio - I really like this kid's game - handles the ball , plays outstanding D, runs the offense and now putting up points on the offensive end as well - he WILL continue to get better and better (especially if Coach Lisath has found a sub to give Legg a little air time on the bench - this will cut down on turnovers AND allow EL to be a major contributor on the offensive end as well scoring wise) ... how did Zane Trace beat these guys???) ...

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

ZT took the ball out of Legg's hands,In my opinion the only way you can take Piketon out of there game.If you just Legg do what he wants with the ball your in trouble.Did'nt get to see the Adena game but I picked Adena knowing they had scouted the ZT game and would try to do the same things too take Legg out of his comfort zone.It sounds like it went the opposite way with Piketon taking Adena's stud Clay Rolle out of his.Should get onteresting in the SVC this season.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Floyd...

First of all, I will not make excuses. Zane Trace played well and deserved the win that night. We as coaches didn't make the right adjustment...so the L falls on us, the coaches.

Beaverlover..I'm not sure I agree with your post...Evan Legg was penetrating their zone, but he was only going 1/4 speed....Evan Legg had the flu that game versus ZT and had his head in the toilet for 3 hours prior to the game, during pregame and lying in the floor at halftime..and did not play the 2nd half versus ZT except for about 30 seconds late in the fourth quarter. He ended up at the hospital that night from total dehydration. We as a team were battling the flu and injuries...no excuses, we should've won that game, but didn't...however, our gameplan was altered due to his inability to go...however, we were down 4 with 3 minutes to go. With Legg out, it changed our strategy, and we as coaches didn't make the right adjustment. Give ZT credit, Haynes played lights out that night with 25 pts...They won the home game. We know we're going to get everyone's best each night...so no excuses...but now that we're healthy, we're starting to gel.

We never want to lose, but sometimes an early season loss like that helps coaches get the team's focus...and I think it has helped us. BUT, we still haven't played our best basketball yet....hopefully we will at tourney time!

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Coach Kelley wrote:Floyd...

First of all, I will not make excuses. Zane Trace played well and deserved the win that night. We as coaches didn't make the right adjustment...so the L falls on us, the coaches.

Beaverlover..I'm not sure I agree with your post...Evan Legg was penetrating their zone, but he was only going 1/4 speed....Evan Legg had the flu that game versus ZT and had his head in the toilet for 3 hours prior to the game, during pregame and lying in the floor at halftime..and did not play the 2nd half versus ZT except for about 30 seconds late in the fourth quarter. He ended up at the hospital that night from total dehydration. We as a team were battling the flu and injuries...no excuses, we should've won that game, but didn't...however, our gameplan was altered due to his inability to go...however, we were down 4 with 3 minutes to go. With Legg out, it changed our strategy, and we as coaches didn't make the right adjustment. Give ZT credit, Haynes played lights out that night with 25 pts...They won the home game. We know we're going to get everyone's best each night...so no excuses...but now that we're healthy, we're starting to gel.

We never want to lose, but sometimes an early season loss like that helps coaches get the team's focus...and I think it has helped us. BUT, we still haven't played our best basketball yet....hopefully we will at tourney time!

Not trying to get the "pot stirred" here but in a way,you do agree with my post.......as far as if you take Evan Legg out of the game,Piketon is in trouble,this is no disrespect torward the rest of the guards on your team,but Evan Legg might be the best Point Guard in our area and to beat Piketon you must not let him do what he wants with the ball.Given you guys are loaded with talent and I expect you guys to have a great seaon but in my opinion Evan Legg is the one that makes this team go.Good Luck!!!

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

beaverlover,

No, I understand what you were saying... I'm just saying, ZT didn't take the ball out of Evan's hands...Evan hardly played, and when he did, he could barely go...Vulgamore came in and did a nice job in place of Legg, but he didn't have as much time spent with the first team as Legg up to that point. Since then, we've played a lot of basketball, and our guards are playing much better...We have depth, but not as much Varsity experience as Legg at the point...So, we're getting reps with those guys at JV level, Varsity, and practice....But a healthy Legg is a totally different player than the sick one that was at ZT that night and at Huntington the game after...And if you look at how he's played the past few games, you can tell a huge difference.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Coach Kelley wrote:beaverlover,

No, I understand what you were saying... I'm just saying, ZT didn't take the ball out of Evan's hands...Evan hardly played, and when he did, he could barely go...Vulgamore came in and did a nice job in place of Legg, but he didn't have as much time spent with the first team as Legg up to that point. Since then, we've played a lot of basketball, and our guards are playing much better...We have depth, but not as much Varsity experience as Legg at the point...So, we're getting reps with those guys at JV level, Varsity, and practice....But a healthy Legg is a totally different player than the sick one that was at ZT that night and at Huntington the game after...And if you look at how he's played the past few games, you can tell a huge difference.

Okay,I got ya but you would agree about Legg making that team go.......Look at the 2 games he was sick the loss to ZT,and you guys were very fortunate to get by Huntingon.......That is the reason I say things like Piketon would be in trouble if you can find a way to take him out of the game which is very hard.This is not a knock to a great Piketon team,This is a praise to your great Point Guard Evan Legg......The kid is just awesome,and does it all for you guys.By the way,How about the outstanding play,and hustle out of Caleb Southworth the last couple of games!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

COACH KELLY, I agree that sometimes an early season loss helps a team regain focus. IMO WE LEARN MORE FROM FAILURE THAN WE GIVE IT CREDIT.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Logan dropped it's 4th game of the young season going 0-3 at Jim's Gym ... this one was at the hands of Coach Secrest's visiting Marietta Tigers :

Marietta 64
Logan 52 a final

Marietta

Scoring ... Tabler 18/Eschbaugh 15/Arnold 12/Brockmeier 8/Wheeler 8/Wynn 4
3-Pointers ... 2/8 ... Tabler 2
FT's ... 23/33 ... the Tigers were 12/15 in the 4th period ... MHS last 11 pts were from the line ...
TO's ... 11

Logan

Scoring ... Angle 16/King 14/Rutter 11/Adams 5/Mays 4/Dietz 2
3 Pointers ... 1/19 ... Mays 1
FTs ... 12/18
TOs ... 24

... Coach Secrest's troops trailed by 3 at intermission 24-27 ... the Tigers took care of the ball in the 2nd half giving it up only 5 times( zero in the 3rd/5 in the 4th) vs 12 for the Purple of Logan ... MHS won the TO battle for the game as well 11 to 24 ... taking the scoring lead for good in the 3rd with a 20-8 scoring advantage ... Logan made a run in the 4th period getting to within 2 points before the Tigers took advantage of Logan fouls, TOs, & poor shooting to pull away by converting 4 fgs in transition and 12/15 from the FT line ... Marietta 64 Logan 52 final ...

Logan falls to 1-4 while Marietta improves to 5-1 heading into the first full week of 2009 ... Logan picked up wins in both the freshmen and JV contests ... Logan freshmen winning 50-43 and Coach Helber's JV picking up a 59-54 "W" ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

From the Northwest...

Logan Elm 90
Miami Trace 54

LE 7-0 - Tim Congrove 24 points, Brandon Amann 24 points, Tyler Pritchard 13 points.
MT 1-5 - Isaiah Carson 14 points.

LE led 25-11 after one and 42-20 at intermission.

LE travels to Roundtown Friday and hosts 1-loss Canal Winchester a week from Tuesday.

Westfall 66, Circleville 51

WF 7-2 - Bryant Gibson 14 points, Tyler Kritsch 12
CHS - 0-6

WF vs. Zane Trace Tuesday and Adena Friday.
CHS vs. Logan Elm Friday.
Last edited by bman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pfloyd ....
I took in the Fed Hock - Burg game tonight and I must say, the Burg is good, very good - but the Lancers really gave them everything they could handle.

Fed Hock is a very young, inexperienced team with a brand new coach; its gonna take some time to adjust ... But for starting out losing their first 5 games, they sure have fought back with wins over River Valley, Charleston Catholic and Rock Hill, who is at the least a respectable team ... If anything, Fed Hock really, really hustles and plays with a lot of heart.. They had the Burg down 17-14 after the first quarter ... were winning at the half 26-24 .... before losing 56-43.

Crazy thing about the Burg - NO SENIORS on the entire roster ... that's crazy for how well and how disciplined they played. To be able to beat a team like Ironton and be (6-1) at this point with no senior or super star player is superb. 6-foot-5 Andy Stegman could be considered a great player that's for sure, 6'5 200 lb sophomore who can shoot and play defense ... He poured in a nice 21 points/ 13 rebounds Vs the Lancers ... #14 - Zaide Whitley, only a freakin freshman, can absolutly shoot the lights out ... every time the kid touched the ball behind the arc and 'wanted' to shoot, it felt like it would go in every time ... He killed Fed Hock. Stegman was expected, but to have a 5-foot-11 freshman go 4-for-4 from behind the arc and nail down three straight free throws late in the game was a back breaker. .... Also, you know as well as I do that NO TEAM goes anywhere without a real good point guard .... NO TEAM thrives at the CONVO with out a 'little man' ... they always end up the true heros and real reason why teams win district titles and the Burg has a nice one in Brandon Schankweiller ... He's a 5-foot-10 lightning rod with excellent ball skills and plays with his head up looking for the open teammate.
BUT THE BURGS BIGGEST ASSET ... HEAD COACH TOM BARRICK .... THAT WHEELERSBURG TEAM plays with unbelievable descipline and poise but serious tenacity on defense ...

You know who they remind me of ... The 2003/2004 CHESAPEAKE teams under Norm Persian ... they play just like the Panthers use to and are happy to beat your butt 42-40, 39-30, 46-30 etc...etc.... the lower the score, the better ... I know I wouldn't want to play em during tourney time ...
The DIVISION III SECTIONAL @ JACKSON ....WOW!

Absolutely brutal .... WHEELERSBURG, IRONTON, CHESAPEAKE, ALEXANDER, SOUTH POINT and heck, even Fairland and Belpre are no slouches .... Belpre just beat Waterford tonight ....

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Who all is in the SECTIONAL with Portsmouth?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Zane Trace beat Piketon because the Red Streaks shot 3 pointers all night instead of going inside. Haynes was hot from the outside for ZT and the Pioneers sounded like they played pretty well.
Last edited by Bozo on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Who all is in the SECTIONAL with Portsmouth?

I thought we was in there with Ironton and Burg?/

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

As a MSL dude that follows the SVC I would enjoy getting no respect if I were ZT. They gave VC their only loss and Piketon as well. They must live with the Southeastern stigma loss. But I will say they make you play an ugly physical game. They are I believe the #1 scoring defense in the area. So who knows .ZT can use the disrespect as motivation. Anyhow goodluck SVC schools and My Braves will be down in kinnikinnick before you know it in February for a tough matchup.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Biggdowgg and Ozzie: We are in the Waverly sectional with Piketon, North Adams, Adena, Minford, Westfall, West Portsmouth, Zane Trace, Paint Valley, Eastern Brown, West Union, Peebles, Valley, Northwest, Southeastern Ross, and our Trojans. I think that is the correct lineup.........

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

PFloyd..........Fairfield Union drops a tough one at Grandview by one 56-55. Looking forward to the meeting on Tuesday night with your "purple". Let me know if you are coming up, I would like to meet the legend. :lol:

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”