Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Editio

Post by biggdowgg »

good to see you last night floyd......heard your name mentioned over the speakers of the convo......and have not seen you complaining about food and beverage prices...you must have found a new place to eat/drink :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... biggdowgg, I was able to get a "pass" so I could graze in the Hospitality Room Friday and Saturday LOL ... always great to run into the Portsmouth contingent whether that's at the Convo or "somewhere - anywhere " in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... told 93bulldog last night that trojandave hasn't had much that would cause him to "throw that hat" this season - that hat is clean! hasn't seen a floor in awhile !! ...

... the 3 Weeks of the Convo is ALWAYS a great time ... have met up with many SEOPs posters (biggdowgg, trojandave, Ozzie, sportsfolio, 93bulldog, posters from the Peake, excoach78, 32 16 6, scouts & coaches from various teams Coach Davis, Coach Maddox, Coach Skinner, Coach Gibson to name a few around Southern Ohio AND!!! wait for it ! ... Lou "the legendary voice of Basketball Thirty at the Convo" Horvath visited the Cheap Seats Saturday to chat at pfloyd - IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT!!! ... I'm thinkin' "the Cheap Seats" are the place to be for the 3 Weeks of the Convo in the post season - the "green reserved" seats are the best in the house ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I've enjoyed myself in the cheap seats so far Floyd. Are you going to make an appearance on Tuesday night? Look for the guy with the Swanker Pine sweatshirt #0

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

dang, you know you are one Important man,when sweet Lou comes to you.....and all the ay up to the cheap seats.....

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... hard to believe tomorrow - Championship Saturday - will be the last day of games in Southern/Southeastern Ohio for this season ... the end of the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... looking forward to running into the Portsmouth contingent one last time this season, 93dog, the Chesapeake folks -some of the most ardent,knowledgable fans in high school hoops, some of the many fine coaches in the area will be in attendance - Coach Skinner hasn't missed shot in the 3 weeks, Coach Butcher has joined us in the Cheap Seats to see the games, Coach Wolfe, Coaches Swinehart & Osborne, Coach Caldwell, Coach Helber of Logan, Coach Maddox ...should be a great crowd on hand for some great basketball - Survive and Advance ... it's what Southeastern/Southern Ohio basketball in the post season is all about ... hopefully Lou "the legend" Horvath tells/shows ESPN what "Basketball Thirty" is all about tomorrow - great job in the post season AGAIN Lou- the "voice" of high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote:... hard to believe tomorrow - Championship Saturday - will be the last day of games in Southern/Southeastern Ohio for this season ... the end of the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... looking forward to running into the Portsmouth contingent one last time this season, 93dog, the Chesapeake folks -some of the most ardent,knowledgable fans in high school hoops, some of the many fine coaches in the area will be in attendance - Coach Skinner hasn't missed shot in the 3 weeks, Coach Butcher has joined us in the Cheap Seats to see the games, Coach Wolfe, Coaches Swinehart & Osborne, Coach Caldwell, Coach Helber of Logan, Coach Maddox ...should be a great crowd on hand for some great basketball - Survive and Advance ... it's what Southeastern/Southern Ohio basketball in the post season is all about ... hopefully Lou "the legend" Horvath tells/shows ESPN what "Basketball Thirty" is all about tomorrow - great job in the post season AGAIN Lou- the "voice" of high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

well,I guess we see where you stand... :mrgreen: ...you know,,we could have hooked you up with a Trojan shirt if thats what it took... :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... what a great game to finish up the 3 Weeks of the Convo!!! Congratulations to Coach Collins and the Trojans!!! - Portsmouth heading for the Show! ... just a few happy PHS fans after the final buzzer went off and the Copley deep three attempt went wide right ... Portsmouth 69 Chesapeake 68 a final ...

... the planets may not have been aligned BUT it was a "super moon" - the first in 18 years - the Portsmouth Trojans took advantage of any and all of the magic of the night in defeating Chesapeake in A'town tonight ... Portsmouth came out of the tip looking the team which had been there before - no regional final jitters as PHS set the tone for the entire game by showing their hand at both ends of the floor ... on the offensive end - put the ball in Bendolph's hands allow the PG to penetrate and dish ... in the first quarter the recipient of the Bendolph passes was Dion McKinley who collected 8 pts in the quarter to pace the Trojans ... on the defensive end it was "manhandle" the CHS big man Colin Kennedy (led by Dion McKinley - outstanding) while using team speed on the perimeter to make the 'peake "work" for everything ... Colin Kennedy 0 points in the quarter for CHS ... Portsmouth 15 Chesapeake 7 after one ... quarter 2 saw Portsmouth continue to shutdown the 6-7 Kennedy down low (0 pts in the 2nd) but if you follow the 'peake you know that one man does not a TEAM make - Austin McMaster stepped up to bring CHS back into the game hitting 14 second quarter points ... game on! ... a key for the PHS side was the foul trouble of Patrick Hintz/Javon Thompson and Eric Kennedy ALL 3 made the attempt to guard the PHS pg Andrew Bendolph - didn't happen as Bendolph continued to get into the paint drawing fouls and dishing ( 2 assists in the quarter for treys by Evans/Whitley) ... Portsmouth 31 Chesapeake 27 at intermission ... the 3rd quarter had Portsmouth holding serve by matching each 'peake basket in the quarter ... when CHS made a run to close the gap - the ball was put into Bendolphs hands , AB didn't disappoint as PHS would answer every Chesapeake run ...Portsmouth 49 Chesapeake 44 after three quarters ... as a fan of high school hoops you have to love the 4th quarter of any championship game ... especially a championship with a trip to The Show at THE SCHOTT in C'bus on the line - PHS vs CHS ... final quarter didn't disappoint as both teams left it all on the floor ... Chesapeake came out with guns blazing to start the period behind senior Nathan Copley ... the Panthers taking the lead at 52-51 with 6:29 to play on 2 Copley FTs BUT (and we all know there is always a BUT) the "super moon" magic kicked in for the Trojans as the Panthers NEXT 6 trips down the floor resulted in 6 'peake turnovers, 0 'peake shots and a Portsmouth 56-52 lead with 3:36 left in the game as PHS called a timeout as the Trojan student section chanted "WE ARE ONE!!!" ... Portsmouth extended the lead to 62-56 with 2:07 remaining - lots of stunned Purple fans in the stands ... Coach Davis' boyz weren't done - coming out of a timeout Eric Kennedy drained 2 shots from downtown while Bendolph continued to add to the PHS total from the line ... Portsmouth 65 Chesapeake 62 with 1:11 left to play ... Chesapeake's defense kept the ball out of AB's hands ,forced 2 PHS turnovers - Chesapeake took the lead with :11 seconds left in the game Chesapeake 68 Portsmouth 67 ... :11 seconds is an eternity if you are ahead ... :11 seconds with Andrew Bendolph on the floor for PHS equals "advantage PHS" ... with all eyes on AB for PHS ... the inbounds went to Evans who went the length of the floor unstopped in the paint for 2 points & 1 ! ... Evans missed the FT but he gave the Trojans the lead one last time as the Copley long three went wide right ... Portsmouth 69 Chesapeake 68 a final ...

... pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chesapeake ...

Scoring ... Austin McMaster 23, Nathan Copley 22, Eric Kennedy 10, Colin Kennedy 7, Patrick Hintz 6

3-pointers ... 6/13 ... Copley 2, Hintz 2, Eric Kennedy 2

FTs ... 12/15

TOs ... 19 ... one of two keys in this loss for CHS the 6 straight TOs after the Panthers took the lead at 52-51 ...

... great season for Coach Davis and the Panthers AGAIN ... returning next season will be Eric Kennedy, Patrick Hintz, Austin McMasters, Brandon Noble, Javon Thompson - the cupboard "ain't" empty for 'peake fans ... don't be surprised to see Chesapeake meet back up with Portsmouth again in the regional finals next season ... thanks goes to Nathan Copley/Colin Kennedy - it has been a pleasure to see both of these young men in action over the years for Chesapeake ... we wish you nothing but the best in your futures ...

...pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats for SE Region/State bound Portsmouth Trojans ...

Scoring ... Andrew Bendolph 22, Wayne Evans 21, Dion McKinley 17, Tre' Underwood 4, Zaide Whitley 3, Mason Jordan 2

3 pointers ... 2/6 ... Whitley 1, Evans 1

FTs ... 19/28 ... PHS was 10/13 in the 4th quarter ...

TOs ... 13

... Congratulations again to SEOAL representatives - the Portsmouth Trojans ... a great game plan by Coach Collins & staff - put the game in the hands of the senior PG Andrew Bendolph ... let AB control the game and get everyone on the PHS "TEAM" involved ... defensively the Key Napkin Stat of the game has be the defensive job done on Colin Kennedy by Dion McKinley - holding the 6-7 Chesapeake "big" scoreless in the first half and only 7 pts total for the game - outstanding ... Bendolph held McMaster to but 2 FTs in 4th quarter ... Portsmouth bloodied 'peake's nose early with the 15-7 first quarter lead ... wouldn't let the Panthers get the upper hand in the game - PHS always had an answer for any/all peake runs ... the student sections chant was most fitting "WE ARE ONE!!!" - Portsmouth earned their way to the final by playing, winning as ONE - as TEAM ... best of luck to Southern Ohio's representative in Columbus this week ...

buckey fan
Waterboy

Post by buckey fan »

pfloyd,
I just happened to watch this game and noticed the same thing you said about the defence that Portsmouth
big men put on Chesapeakes big man.
(on the defensive end it was "manhandle" the CHS big man Colin Kennedy (led by Dion McKinley ).

While this manhandling ( fouling) of the Peake's center was going on, he did not draw one foul from this poor referee staff in the first half. This was the reason Portsmouth got to control the first half tempo! The referees took Chesapeake's inside game away by not calling this MANHANDLING.

Also, The first lead for Chesapeake actually came when Colin Kennedy converted on three point play and
put them ahead 52-51. The second lead for Peake came when Eric Kennedy made it 68-67.

Hope you get well soon Floyd, and enjoyed your posts this year.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

One of Portsmouth bigs fouled out, so they was calling the fouls somewhere,,,and the fouls was pretty equal I thought, but maybe not,I was to much into the game to pay much attention.

plus,,if they are going to let you play...you..play...Peake has a great team, this is the 3rd or 4th time ive seen them this year, but I knew it was posible for us to win,as I have seen us in all but 3 games this year

buckey fan
Waterboy

Post by buckey fan »

big dog.
No fouls on Portsmouth's Mckinley in first half when manhandling was going on.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

it was a battle for both teams, both teams played hard....I honestly thought they let both teams play,,and thought they missed a lot of traveling calls,,on both sides.....

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I thought it was a really well called game both teams had someone foul out and other in foul trouble. I seen about 2 total calls that could be questioned. I think this crew of officials did a good job. State Bound....We Are 1

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Do we get a preseason or look ahead to next year top 8?

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

take alook in ummmmmmmmm Nov and probably so :)

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

thanks captain obvious

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

peake wrote:thanks captain obvious
Should be a lot of the same teams near the top.

My top 8 for next season(this is not necissarily in order....slightly biased considering my lack of exposure to many of the teams in the TVC neck of the woods)

1. Portsmouth(return two of their three best players in Evans and McKinley)

2. Chesapeake(Return the possible District POY in Austin McMaster plus great role players in Kennedy, Hintz, and Thompson)

3. Chillicothe(Return Malik London and Zach Johnson)

4. Piketon(Lose Legg and Brush but return a good group of underclassmen consisting of the Farmers, Moore, and Brabson)

5. Ironton(Return probably the two best rising juniors in SEO in Carter and Fletcher)

6. Eastern Brown(Return their 4 best players plus have the Scott kid coming up from JV who I think will have a breakout season...just dont have any height).

6. Waverly(Return IMO the best D2 player in our section of the state next season in Jake Kretzer...just kinda confused about what is going to be put around him).

7. Valley(Return Blake Yates and Dwyer....should be in near the top of the pack in the SOC)

8. Peebles(Return two AP all-district players in Daniels and Arey...will have Blake Justice's younger brother Beau as well...we had a pretty good JV team last season and how strong the team is next season should be determined by how well they transition to the varsity game)

Teams that are still a mystery to me for next season:
Oak Hill
Wheelersburg
South Webster
Ripley
North Adams
Manchester
Warren
Vinton County
Wellston

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

good list.

One edit for me would be Piketon in front of Ironton. They return two of the better players in the region, you will have a hard time convincing me Piketon is better.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

peake wrote:good list.

One edit for me would be Piketon in front of Ironton. They return two of the better players in the region, you will have a hard time convincing me Piketon is better.
This isnt really in order. Just general thoughts about who the top eight could be next season. I would agree that Ironton should be slightly better than Piketon.

Five Point
JV Team

Post by Five Point »

Whiteoak will be no slouch either next season returning Seip, Carraher, Taggert and more

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Five Point wrote:Whiteoak will be no slouch either next season returning Seip, Carraher, Taggert and more
They could contend in the small division for sure. With Peebles moving to the big division it could be a three way race between Manchester, Whiteaok, and Ripley for the small division crown. Im not sure about Fairfield's chances. They return a good point gaurd in Williams but contributors like Cox and Rolark will be hard to replace.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”