Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 30th

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Lancer_Fan
Varsity

Post by Lancer_Fan »

Quote From 4sporterEHS... "Im glad Federal Hocking dropped out, they weren't good enough to be in there last week, but WATERFORD are the real deal. They should be in the top 8." Quote From 4sporterEHS...

Granted Federal dropped a pair in their Holiday Tournement but consider who they lost to! Parkersburg South is a HUGE school...I am sure Morgantown is also. Fed has played a tough schedule this season. Not to mention that Fed Hock DID beat Waterford! So I guess that makes them the real deal also!!!

I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Lancer fan ... I agree Federal Hocking will be just fine as we head into 08 ... a solid ball club that knows how to play defense ... even playing out of their league vs the W.Va "big boyz" Corey McCune was named to the All Tourney Team for FH ... 2 very good games scoringwise- if memory serves me correctly he put up 24 pts vs South/20 vs Morgantown ... congratulations to Corey McCune for representing in the land of foreigners - W.Va...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 4sporterEHS ... I saw the Waterford loss to North Adams at the Convo back on the 15th of December - I'm not sold on the boyz ... had trouble handling the NA pressure - 22 TOs on the game ... we'll keep an eye on them as we move into 08 BUT so far their wins are over teams with fewer wins than losses ... they have lost to the 2 quality teams on their schedule- Federal Hocking and North Adams ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Manchester is 6-3....I know they have beaten Whiteoak, Peebles and Fairfield...maybe Clay....lost to North Adams

They should probably be mentioned somewhere. 6'5 Jarod Quinlan is a good player.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Ironman if you don't think west union wasn't up for the dragons of Fairland then your dead wrong. I think they would have loved to beat the dragons considering the games we have had with them the last couple of years but hey thats alright keep on doubting the dragons I know they are better than NA and Huntington. We scrimmaged the Huntsmen and handled them pretty easily and that was without our point guard Matt Bloomfield who is a defensive stopper.
Last edited by bucking red on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You have no idea how much West Union gets up for North Adams. I've seen them be up for a lot of games, but nothing compares to them against NA.

downtown22
Waterboy

Post by downtown22 »

nice lise, pfloyd, but I have to ask...LE at #8? with a record of 6-3. I just dont see how they are listed above McClain, Adena or Piketon. I'm not real up-to-date on the life outside of the SVC, but Adena knocked off the Braves in a thriller in frankfort and they have a better record. The LE win is probably the Warriors most impressive win on their resume, but with only 2 losses of a combined 3 pts. Lost to Miami Trace, by 1 at the buzzer in OT, then lost to the Dante Jacksonless Tigers of McClain by 2 at McClain, which is probably one of the harder places to win in Southern Ohio. Adena led that game by 7 with 3:00 to go, and by 5 under a minute, but lost it themselves. I'm not 100% sure that Adena should be in your top 8, but i think if they beat the 7-2 Redstreaks friday night, they should be seriously thought about to jump into the BIG 8.

I also think GM tigers, and Piketon Redstreaks could very well both be ahead of the Braves.

Like i said, i dont know the Braves resume compared to the teams listed above, so there could be a big win that might put them above the rest that i dont know about. BUT, after friday i hope to see the Warriors in the top 8!

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

Still a lot of questions about this McClain team. They are the typical McClain defensive team, but are having a lot of trouble scoring. The saying "Can't throw it in the ocean while standing on the beach" comes to mind when talking about the Tigers offensive product during several games this year. They learn to score and they will pull an upset in the tourney; however if they continue the current pace, baseball season starts early.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bucking red..Does Fairland get up more for South Point and Chesapeake or West Union?

Good Luck convincing me that 15-18 year old kids don't get up more for border schools than teams they have rarely hear of with little meaning.

And FYI....I'd have Fairland above NA if I were to have my rankings.....scrimmage is nice but Huntington won at Vinton County....who has Fairland beat?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

I know you have Fairland above NA and I can tell you if we were to play Oak Hill this year we would be up for that game just as much as the 2 you mentioned. I know Hunt. beat VC but who has VC beat. They are overrated IMO we have beaten everybody by double digits and have not played a complete game yet. I know if we play as a team we will be a very hard out for anybody come tourny time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bucking red ... have you had the chance to see Huntington, North Adams, Vinton County play this season ?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

I've saw NA up at Athens and Hunt. when Fairland scrimmaged them.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I've seen all 4 teams during this regular season - North Adams vs Waterford, Fairland vs Southeastern, Vinton County vs Huntington ... based on those 3 games I would rank the teams in this order (looking at nothing but performance of the teams during those games - not records) ...

1. Huntington/Vinton County ... a coin toss ... they are that close imo
2. North Adams
3. Fairland

... ALL 4 of these teams are quality ball clubs ... looking forward to seeing them ALL in the Convo in the post season ... Fairland has South Point coming for a visit Friday night - THAT would be a great game to see from the cheap seats ... Southeastern wasn't much of a "game" for Fairland at the Convo ... will be interesting to see how FHS handles Todd Mayo & Co. for the Pointers come Friday night ... wish it wasn't such a lousy drive down Rt. 93 this one will be worth more than the price of admission... best of luck to both teams ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

SEOAL ACTION Jan.4th/5th

Post by pfloyd »

... this weeks SEOAL action - looks like the North Division teams head out on the road to play Southern Division foes Friday night ... with Saturday night set aside for non-conference specials ...

Friday Jan. 4th

Athens
@ Portsmouth

Logan
@ Chillicothe

Marietta
@ Gallia Academy

Warren
@ Ironton

Zanesville
@ Jackson

Saturday Jan. 5th ...

Logan
New Lexington

Portsmouth
@ Wheelersburg

Zanesville
@ Wheeling Park, W.Va.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... other games we will be watching this first week of 08 ...

Friday Jan. 4th ...

Portsmouth West
@ Wheelersburg

Reedsville Eastern
@ Waterford

Fairland
South Point

Chesapeake
@ Coal Grove

Valley
@ Northwest

Vinton County
@ Meigs

Rock Hill
River Valley

Wellston
@ Belpre

Alexander
@ Nelsonville York

Southern
@ Trimble

Miller
@ Federal Hocking

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... more games to wet your whistle/satisfy your hoops appetite this week ...

Friday Jan.4th

Adena
@ Piketon

Unioto
Huntington

South Webster
@ Oak Hill

Eastern Pike
New Boston

Notre Dame
@ Portsmouth East

Saturday Jan. 5th

Vinton County
@ Waverly

Western Union
@ Portsmouth West

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Two of LE's losses are to 8-1 Canal Winchester - who only lost to a very good D1 Newark - and Harvest Prep in OT with LE missing one of their best players. The Adena loss was not a good loss, I'll grant you that.

Canal Winchester blows the doors off of most team's on the list with the exception of Zville/Chilli.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... have had the pleasure during this regular season to be in the cheap seats to watch Logan Elm twice, Adena, Greenfield McClain twice ... even had the opportunity to see the Canal team vs Fairfield Union this season as well ... the LE losses to Harvest Prep (OT 69-67) one of the best/most athletic teams I have seen this year - a excellent loss imo if there is such a thing LOL - LE showed me a lot in that loss ...the loss to Adena - didn't see it BUT I have seen Adena play ( Adena has beat but one team with a winning record - Logan Elm ... losing to Greenfield/Miami Trace - I could only find results to 5 of the MT games (3-2) their losses to Madison Plains/Greenfield McClain ... back to LE - lost to Canal ... as b618 posted the only teams Below the Line that have a chance vs CW would be Chilli/Zanesville ... to this point in the season Logan Elm has played (win/losses together) 7 of 9 teams with winning records ... the teams that beat LE have lost a combined 4 games in the 07 portion of the season ... that's the numbers I was looking at when deciding where to place LE, Adena, Greenfield ... the other factor I took into consideration was "what I saw on the court" - offensively/defensively/etc. imo THAT was the deciding factor in placement of these teams ... just one mans' impressions of the talent/potential on offense & defense ... if I hadn't seen each of these teams play, including some of the games they had lost (LE vs Harvest Prep; Greenfield vs Reynoldsburg; as well as wins LE vs Zane Trace, Greenfield vs Piketon, Adena vs WhiteOak throw in the some of the common opponents - ZT ... other teams they have played Unioto, Westfall,Southeastern,FU, Bloom Carroll, Westfall ....... I probably would have gone strictly by wins and losses ...

... bottom line I try to bring in lots of factors into the placement of these teams ... granted I haven't seen all of the teams but I'm putting a dent in my list LOL ... for example the SHL teams - unless those boyz make trips to the east side of Rt.23 I won't see 'em until tourney time - not fair to them and really not fair to me because there are good quality teams that I just can't see due to the distance factor ... smaller SOC teams - NB, East,Valley, Symmes Valley , Eastern/Western Pike again my loss ...

... anyway as I posted this is just one mans view of the basketball world in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I encourage everyone to get out there and see as many of the teams/athletes/coaches & staffs out there ... great stuff to watch ... and as always the more informed you can become the more you can disagree with confidence that you are in fact right LOL ... the basketball world seen through many eyes is what allows for the all important varying insights/ agreement & disagreements ... without them there would be no conversation ... if everyone agreed there would be no need for this forum and others like it THAT'S why when you start typing on SEOPS , when you put your opinion out there for ALL to see, to read ... keep in mind that NOT EVERYONE is going to agree with you or me LOL - go figure LOL ... as long as we agree to disagree all is good ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bucking red......it's hard to say VC is overrated. I agree they haven't beat any great teams, but they are obviously very good.

Fairland suffers a tad on this site as it's hard to ever get to see them. Obviously Fairland is very, very good...the tournaments will settle some of this but it will be exciting to see what D3 teams move on to the regionals.

Possible regional representatives: Huntington, Fairland, North Adams, Wheelersburg, South Point.....these guys are the favorites...but with an upset teams like Chesapeake, Piketon and Adena stand a chance....and does anyone want to face teams like Eastern Brown, Alexander, Belpre, Lynchburg Clay, Westfall, Minford, Northwest...not likely!

Best of luck to your Fairland boys.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

pfloyd ~ Great job, as usual..................... always enjoyable to read..

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”