Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks PRIME TIME ... for some reason there is little information (if any) concerning Waterford - anywhere! ... I'll update their record - would you please list their W's so I can update my "napkins" as well - thanks ...

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Waterford has beat Eastern,Miller,Buffalo,Federal Hocking

Fort Frye is amazing this year 3-0
Wins over Shenandoah by 11,Trail by 31, and Caldwell by 40.If Waterford can beat the Cadets agian they should move up.Waterford looked not so good vs a bad Buffalo team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Southern/Southeastern Ohio coaches ...

... while I'm sitting here - avoiding doing a little laundry, cleaning up the house basically avoiding everything on my "honey do" list - I want to give a plug for ALL of the coaches throughout Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I read threads that start out talking hoops, talking about teams in general THEN somehow the thread "morphs" into a thread slamming (either straight up or backhandedly) a teams coach or coaching staff ... let me be the first to post the obvious "ALL COACHES WANT TO WIN!!!" ... the coaches and their staffs do EVERYTHING they can to prepare their teams for their upcoming games - how that is done is a matter of personal choice by the individual coaches and their staffs of course ... BUT the bottom line is the coaches want to win ... the coaches put in hours upon hours of preparation BEFORE they step onto the gym floor with their kids - I ran into Coach Keith Myers (Logan High School head coach) at Marietta College this past weekend ... he was there getting an in person look at Coach Secrest's Marietta Tigers .... this was a mid- afternoon game Marietta vs Fairland ... Coach Meyers was putting together a scouting report on Marietta to give to/go over with his players - inbounds plays, offensive sets, defenses, shooters, player tendencies etc. etc. ... as soon as the Marietta game was over he was on his way to take in the Newark HS game to do the exact same thing FOR his team, to get an edge, to give his team a better chance to WIN ... this scenario goes on all over Southern Ohio - scouting of teams , coaches/coaching staffs being away from their families, putting in hundreds of hours of time watching OTHER teams to help prepare their own teams to WIN ... my hat goes off to Coach Myers and his staff, as well as all of the other coaches in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - ALL of these coaches - like Coach Myers - are trying give their kids the BEST opportunity to WIN on the court - I thank you for the time all of you put into working with the kids to put the best product on floor that represents the school, the team and ultimately you - the coach & your staff ... great job gentlemen ... believe it or not, imo their are more people out here that admire the jobs that each of you do than those that find it so easy to post/talk poorly of you as coaches ... again - great job coaches from someone who sees a lot of hoops all over Southern/Southeastern Ohio every year - I see the products you put on the floor - I thank you for making my time traveling and watching your kids play so worthwhile and enjoyable ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

now easternDspy - that totals up to 4-0 ... is there a 5th win or is it only 4-0 ... I have them as 4-0 on my stat sheets ...

Waterford 56 vs Eastern Reedsville 55
Waterford 54 vs Eastern Brown 44 ( I saw this one)
Waterford 53 vs Federal Hocking 38
Waterford 48 vs Buffalo 39
Waterford ??? vs Miller ???

... never got the 1st game of the season for the Wildcats at Miller ... looks like we will know more about Waterford as they take on Fort Frye in their first outing of the 2009 portion of the season ... good luck to WHS ...

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Oak Hill has a make up game at home with Northwest on Saturday, January 3rd with the JV game starting at 6:00.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... oneoak ... I'm sure there are more of these makeup games sneaking onto the schedule this week that I'm not fully aware of ... thanks for keeping us all informed ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Waterford 56 vs Eastern Reedsville 55
Waterford 54 vs Eastern Brown 44 ( I saw this one)
Waterford 53 vs Federal Hocking 38
Waterford 48 vs Buffalo 39
Waterford 62 vs Miller 33

... found it ... WHS IS 5-0 both on the lists AND in my stat sheets as well ...

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Hey Pfloyd whats your thoughts on Fort Frye? Every poll I have seen this year has them top 10 in the state.Whether it be Macattacksports.com,Or Coachs basketball poll and I also just saw one on the other site that had them at 6 3 spots behind Ironton.With the East being way down this year they have to be the favorite for regionals.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

pfloyd, as much traveling as you do this time of year, I thought this info would help: DeLorme makes a great atlas of Ohio. Its between 16 to 20 bucks depending on where you go. They can be found at Wal mart or contact DeLorme at www.delorme.com They are well worth the money.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Space Cowboy thanks for the idea - I usually just hook up the Garmin, turn on the Sirius radio to Classic Vinyl then head up or down Rt. 33 until the Garmin says "recalculating" over and over again LOL ... the best one is when the Garmin lets you know that you need to "turn right in 1/2 mile" ..."turn right in 300 feet" ... "TURN RIGHT!!!" LOL ... I tend to "tick" off the Garmin LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Whooooo Hoooooo!

Finally got PFLOYD to give the SPARTANS some r.e.s.p.e.c.t

You can't overlook wins VS LAST YEARS district champ (D-II Maysville) with all their main players back.

The win Vs Peebles was quality at the very least.

The WESTFALL win was top notch.

even the N-Y blowout deserves recongition.

I knew you listen to your old running mate floyd ... Im excersising my TVC expertise here buddy, you need to keep your eyes and ears open to what the ol dog has to offer ...

Now, If I could only convince you on my DOGS ... its a comin buddy, its a comin! .... We lost @ Vinton County by 3 measly points with no head coach, our star player sits 1/2 the game with fouls and DEREK WATERS is still getting his feet wet ... Oh yea, no Cameron Tope in that game either ... watch out Feb 3rd - The DOGS WILL ENACT REVENGE ON THE vikes!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog ... I KNOW you are in a position to know all things TVC ... AND you get to rub elbows with one of the gurus of Southern/Southeastern Ohio sports - Sportfolio ... BUT I made the call on Alexander after consulting with my committee of one - me ... LOL ... all that time with Sportfolio definitely has something rubbing off on you - YOU actually sound like you know what you're talking/posting about !!! LOL ... now you do realize that your assignment (being in the position you are in) is to sell the idea of having the Elite 8 picked up by your employer LOL - work on that one LOL ...

... games of major interest tonight ...

Alexander vs Trimble
Ironton vs Wheelersburg
North Adams vs Peebles
Piketon @ Waverly
Zanesville vs Massillon Washington
Warren @ Maysville
Marietta @ Meadowbrook
Gallia Academy vs River Valley (at Rio)
Chillicothe vs Jackson (to break the 2 game losing streak)

... others ???

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

"4. Portsmouth 5-0 ... Coach Shoemaker's boys apparently haven't impressed the likes of Wheelersburg or Ironton coaches as they view the Trojans as not a TEAM but a collection of 1 on 1 athletes ... BUT as we saw in the Week that Was one of the nay sayers of "hall way chat" fell to the Trojans (Wheelersburg) 68-60 ..."

Pink Floyd'
First off I'd like to say that I immensely enjoy your "Elite Eight" threads every week and know you put a lot of time and effort into it and we all appreciate it...................

However...... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ....... I believe the above "hall way chat" information is just some "hearsay" info that you (and I) read from another poster on this site. I believe Coach LaFon and Coach Barrick both to be above this kind of talk.... ESPECIALY in public. I may be wrong (but I don't think I am :) ).
But I know for a FACT that you never heard either of these fine men say......" Wheelersburg or Ironton coaches as they view the Trojans as not a TEAM but a collection of 1 on 1 athletes" .... and it really didn't need to be perpetuated by putting it in your team assessments. I have always found you to be above this kind of thing, just like the coaches. I found it ironic that you had another nice post praising (well said and deserved) all coaches and then posting the above info. :(

Again, you do a very nice job on this and everybody appreciates it and I mean no disrespect by my post..... just thought you might want to reconsider what you posted. :)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bigorangeone ... I went back to my post - you are absolutely correct - although at the time I was writing the piece it (the hearsay I posted) wasn't (in my little mind) as derogatory comment reflecting on either Coach Lafon or Coach Barrick ... I personally did not hear the comment that I posted and I don't believe that the way it was posted reflected that I had BUT I do see why you would feel as YOU have posted ... I would like to take the time to apologize to both Coach LaFon and Coach Barrick for posting what could be and was construed as a derogatory comment - putting words or an "idea" out their that may or may not be as posted ... I WILL remove or reword the comment ... bigorangeone thank you for pointing out how this comment WAS in fact one that could be misconstrued no matter the intent on my part ... thanks for keeping me inline ... hopefully Coach LaFon won't have the Itown Mafia at the door tonight waiting for me !!! ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...bigorangeone ... I edited the original Elite 8 post ... again my apologies to both Coach LaFon and Coach Barrick for apparently "crossing the line" with my post - I should probably just stick to "name of school and record" to be on the safe side from now on ...

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

No harm, pfloyd and I never thought for a minute that the INTENT to be derogatory was there at all. I'm sure (as I believe you are) that Coach Barrick knew he was out gunned going in to Ptown this year and never looked down on Dowgg and Ozzie's Trojans a tiny little bit and I am sure Coach LaFon is biting his nails right now anticipating the Trojan game.. I do believe though that the Tigers have a little more age and experience than the Burg and just may give the Trojans some serious fits when they meet.
I believe the Tigers may dispose of the Pirates a little more handily than the Trojans did, too..... but ya never know.
Again, no harm... no foul.

Keep up the good work. :-D :-D :-D

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Pfloyd...got all scores except Marietta atMeadowbrook,Massillon Washington at Zanesvile and Warren Local at Maysville.

Don't have the Chilly-Jackson reserve score.

Gallipolis downed River Valley, 51-26.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Piketon over Waverly 65-60 to win the Pike County Holiday classic championship.

Evan Legg and Cody Smith all tourney team for Piketon... The team effort was great!

Kretzer was all tourney for waverly. Freshman who was in the zone; kept Waverly in it with I think 8--3's....Great shooting... BUT overshadowed at the end of game with a Major League flush by Keenan Brush on a missed put back for piketon. Memory of a lifetime for the young kid in this classic tourney!....Piketon up 3 with 12 seconds...2nd free throw came off, tipped up by piketon's Caleb Southworth, off the rim, and Brush went WAY up and hammered it two handed over a player. Great game by both teams! Waverly will be a tough team the further this season goes...they deserve a lot of attention. However, I will praise the Redstreaks because they are getting stronger each game and I'm partial! lol...big game friday night at the undefeated Adena Warriors (clay rolle and co.)

piketon now 6-1... 6 of 7 on road!

Cody Smith 23pts, 8 rebs
Legg 17pts, 3 steals, 6 assists
Brabson 14 pts, 10 Rebs
...napkin stats

kretzer 26pts waverly; waverly is better than most give them credit for; they'll be tough come tourney time
Good luck to all the pike county teams the remainder of the season!
Last edited by Coach Kelley on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Teays Valley 68-58 OT over Westfall
Good ballgame, packed house.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Fairfield Union 63
Sheridan 47

FU outscores Sheridan 43-18 in the second half to go to 4-3 on the year.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”