Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by pfloyd »

... imo the Elite 8 IS doing what it's supposed to do - encourages high school hoops fans from Southern/Southeastern Ohio to support their team(s)/follow high school hoops ... to the posters on this forum I WANT you to disagree with the teams I have listed IF you so choose to - that's perfectly fine ... my list is MY opinion about the teams Below the Line ... forums are all about having opinions - I've been doing this for a number of years - thin skin I don't have (old wrinkled skin yes, thin no lol) ... being on here for a long time - both the Huddle and SEOPs - I am familiar with many of the posters ... many know their stuff - I am more than happy to read and take in their opinions ... we have always been able to agree to disagree - that won't change ... I respect opinions that are made and are backed up with facts ... I pride myself on posting with the knowledge that I have seen many of the teams I post about ... so far in the first 3 weeks I have personally seen 18 of my top 25 teams, some more than one time ... with that said part of my rankings come from these "eye witness" accounts - I have seen the talent on the teams, I CAN compare the talent on one team with the talent on other teams ... personally I feel good about the picks I make on a weekly basis - not perfect but at least the pick come from eyewitness knowledge as opposed to just looking at the numbers ... bottom line folks I love the debate, I respect posters who can support their point of view with facts - napkin stats ... my pride "ain't" going to be hurt IF I'm proven wrong - just like anything else you have to be willing be wrong or fail in order to succeed - I have no problem being wrong ... as I recall Michael Jordan missed more "final game winning shots" than he made BUT he was the man who wanted to take that last shot every time - willing to fail ...

... let the beatings begin!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hey,its not "ME" you have to convince.

but I would bet one thing, yes we did lose our first two,,but,I would almost bet,you have never had a team,that was not even on your radar at all in week one,,,,,come out and beat , your 2 and 3 teams :mrgreen:

by the way,,,,we know,we havent proven anything yet

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

i kinda like being under the radar. I think the kids can handle being the hunter but I want these teams to see us and be surprised by our swagger as the season progresses. They can get that swagger with a few more wins under there belt which will breed confidence. I'd say early to mid january will be a good time for us to make a leap up Pfloyd's infamous board. But I think we'll move up sooner cause we'll have 2 more quality wins before the new year. But we'll see.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Being a Cavs fan they should be moved out of the top 8....they beat Xenia, lost BIG at Logan Elm,and was blowing out an Ironton team(to me I think Ironton would get beat by a Xenia) before completely losing it all in the second half.... The season is young for this relatively young team...we will see how they respond tomorrow when they go back on the road against Marietta....Once they get the killer instinct,they could be dangerous! Go Cavs!!

QBear
JV Team

Post by QBear »

The SVC is 2-10 against non-league teams.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Reedsville Eastern is going to have to go 10-0 before they make the list. But I agree, they have a very weak schedule

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Really happy to see the Trojans pull off two big wins. But just to keep my emotions in check I fall back to last season when we started the season at 5-0 only to have it all taken away.............Ill be very interested to see where we stand after jan 29.Six of nine games at home in this tough conference. Honestly havent seen this team yet but have read everything I can and even spoken with some loyal Trojan fans about this team.I love the coach,I love the intensity he brings and I love the fact that The Trojans are playing a team game .Keeping the faith ..but also keeping the emotions in line and hoping for the best

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't think any team in the rankings had a better week than Portsmouth.......winning at Wheelersburg and at Warren.......both were in the top 8 before this week........the Trojans have 4 straight home SEOAL games coming up, so there is a golden opportunity to make a strong statement about being a contender for the league title.

I don't think in the almost 40 years I have watched the Trojans that I have seen such a dramatic turnaround in just one week.........and Portsmouth played better at Warren than they did at Wheelersburg.

Credit to the kids and coaching staff for not getting down after that first week........I am really excited about what Coach Collins has done with our basketball program in such a short time.

Leading scorers for PHS: Wayne Evans 14.0 PPG, Forrest Johnson 13.8 PPG, Tre Underwood 13.8 PPG.......Underwood also has been a double digit rebounder.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Ironman92 wrote:I think some of your teams are going off of how good they were supposed to be and not what they have done thus far.

I agree that Piketon is probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the district.....but what have they done so far? They have been upset......They haven't earned the #2

Beat D2 Hillsboro...(by 20)....Beat League favorite ZT....(by 20)....Beat Westfall....(by 20)...Beat PV....(by 40)....lost to rival (4-1) Huntington (by 3)...lost to D2 (5-0) Columbus Mifflin (by 1). Maybe they haven't deserved the #2 spot...and as the critics stated last season when they were AP State Ranked #7 they didn't deserve to be, because they were beat by Huntington...well I guess in the end the critics were right...they should've been ranked #3 or #4 based on their finish. It will all shake out soon...The Streaks will have a tall task this season trying to repeat and live up to expectations....while playing six D2 opponents and traveling to Zanesville, Vinton County @ OUC, and a possible rematch with Waverly in the Holiday Classic. Not to look past an undefeated Eastern team they play on the 28th.

barcodebray
Waterboy

Post by barcodebray »

Eastern Brown vs. Peebles is shaping up to be a HUGE game. How cool is that going to be!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Again, I completely agree that Piketon is the 2nd best team in the district...but the upset loss to Huntington and another loss are a bit much for a #2 team right now.....ZT is the league favorite, that's fine...but they have 3 losses and "favorite" is also a preseason thing.

I'm sure it won't be long before there will be no doubt in anyone's mind.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern doesn't play Peebles until Jan 8th....if no upsets happen before then it could be two 10-0ish teams going against each other...in a little school vs big school showdown of the SHL. Could be #3 vs #4 at that time on pfloyd's rankings.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Piketon's league schedules commits them to 14 league games, leaving 6 non-league games they are able to schedule; with that in mind, they play in the Waverly Classic (pike county) each year (2 games), leaving 4 non-league games...

We opened with Hillsboro is D-2 school returning 5 starters from last years district finals team, played Zane Trace (2009-regional semifinalist) (maxwell-maybe best player in SE ohio) 2nd game of season, then at Huntington Ross (4-2)--Coach Uhrig-never easy to win there. We won on the road at Westfall (2009 district finalist--who was #1 and undefeated in conference play at the time). The next night was in track-meet with Mifflin who we lost to at the buzzer...Maybe Piketon has to do more to "earn" the 2nd spot but these are not teams that lost everything from a year ago...these are legit teams we're playing early. And no matter what, with the schedule we have, we'll find out if we belong...

2010 schedule: (6 non-league games and current records)
Hillsboro(3-2) @Zane Trace Tip-Off Classic .. W
Columbus Mifflin (5-0)..L
Eastern Pike(3-0) @Waverly-Holiday Classic
Waverly (3-1)/Western Pike (?) @Waverly-Holiday Classic...(possibly vs. Waverly)
Vinton County (4-0) @ OU-Chillicothe
Zanesville (?)@ Zanesville

Tell me, who has that kind of schedule in Southeastern Ohio? All but one non-league schedule is on the road or at a neutral site, and that game is against Columbus City League team.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Coach Kelley,
Zane Trace got beat in the District Final last year and they went 14-10.
The school has not been to a regional in basketball since 1970.
Hopefully, they will get things together this winter and make a run in March.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I enjoy reading the weekly rankings. I understand that this is one person's opinion, and that my personal opinion may differ. I don't get to watch much high school basketball, so to compare teams from different leagues is next to impossible for me. From what I have read, I think Pfloyd puts much time and effort into his rankings, and does a great job of, in some cases, comparing apples to oranges. With that in mind, if you disagree, do your own, and quit crying about it.

shaynew
Riding the Bench

Post by shaynew »

I think p floyd does a great job and i look forward to his opinions and rankings every week.He always has a reason for where each team is ranked and i would venture to say he watches more games among a variety of teams than anyone in the area.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Coach Kelley....your schedule is a great preporation for the tourney run....Coach Lisath knows very well what he'd doing.

20 point win over Hillsboro is a very good win and margin.

The Huntington loss is indeed an upset as the Huntsmen have lost to Southeastern and Southeastern has been pretty rough in all of their other games....smeared by Peebles, lost by 14 to one of teh worst SHL teams)

Westfall hasn't done too much have they?

Big win over Zane Trace is always good (though I think they have had each very good player miss some time)

Piketon has 3 very solid wins, another win and were upset once......
Last edited by Ironman92 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

Coach Kelley,

I think Logan Elm may be able to match that strength of schedule you carry. Not only is the MSL very competitive but they too have a very strong non league schedule.

They started out beating Waverly (3-1) by 18 at Zane Trace
They beat Chillicothe by 14
They have Zane Trace at Zane Trace
Westfall at Westfall
A very good Detroit Prep team @ Wellston
5-0 Division 1 Westerville South @ the Schott

5 out of 6 of their non league games are on the road or at a neutral site.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

ZT did not lose to Southeastern.
They have lost to Bloom-Carroll, Peebles and Piketon.
They beat SE, Unioto and Adena which are all poor.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

My stupididty...thanks....I'll fix.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”