Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 2

Post by danicalifornia »

SVC Preview for Tuesday(weather permitting)

Piketon @ Paint Valley- 2 of the 4 undefeated teams matchup in Bainbridge in Paint Valley's biggest SVC game in many, many years. PV has some good size, led by Logan Markko(18 and 12 per), but will they have the guard play to deal with the Redstreaks pressure? PV is the most expierenced team in the league, but this is their 1st big game. I think they will hang around for a while, but the Streaks will be too much, Piketon by 15.

Unioto @ Zane Trace- The other 2 undefeateds matchup in Kinnikinnick. Should be a good matchup, with the expierenced Sherman backcourt, facing the relative newcomers for the Pioneers. ZT has rolled off 3 straight wins after a rocky opening night and are finally at full strength. Both teams have plenty of athletes and we could see a good, uptempo and exciting game. This was THE rivalry back in the mid-90's and provided many classic moments, this should be a great game. Shermans by 6.

Southeastern @ Adena- SE was at full strength for a very short time, as top player, Michael Brown injured his ankle and seemingly will be out for this matchup. 2 of the leagues smallest teams meet up with both looking for their 1st overall win. Should be a solid game with SE's Tyler Osbourne against Adena's Austin Hottinger being a matchup to watch. I'll take SE by 3.

Huntington @ Westfall- Two of the SVC's premier post players(HHS' Dylan Gragg vs. WF's Zak Smith) will meet up in a battle of 2, 1-win ballclubs. Westfall had a positive start to the year with a victory and then almost pulling an upset over Unioto, before getting dismantled by Piketon. Huntington started with a win, but have had 4 straight losses since, including 2 surprising ones this past weekend. Should be a slow-paced game with not a lot of outside scoring, but will be a good game played almost exclusively inside the paint. I'll say, Westfall by 2 in OT.

SVC Standings:
Paint Valley- 2-0, 3-0
Piketon- 2-0, 3-0
Unioto- 2-0, 3-0
Zane Trace- 2-0, 3-1
Adena- 0-2, 0-3
Huntington- 0-2, 1-4
Southeastern- 0-2, 0-3
Westfall- 0-2, 1-2

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC ... great "stuff" on the SVC as usual ... ZT vs Unioto should be a dandy over on Rt 180 ...

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

jchitwood wrote:Ripley is another team that's on the outskirts of the Land Beneath the Lancaster-Dixon Line...they go west for their tournament draw but are part of the SHL. As a team that is favored to win the Big School in the SHL (with all respect to Eastern Brown) I think they deserve a mention somewhere among the treehugger wannabees. They did defeat a strong Bethel-Tate team pretty handily this week.
It really wouldnt surprise me if Ripley would make the move to the SouthEast District some day. They are only 7-8 miles West of Manchester and along with Fayetteville are the only two SHL schools who have not made the move yet. If they had some big shot doing the politics for them Im sure they could make the jump to Southeast. Who knows, if this "move" would have happened about the same time as Eastern Brown's they might have a lot of Sectional Championship banners hanging in their gym. Instead, being in the SouthWest Im not sure they have any Sectional Titles in the last 10-20 years? What do you think Chitwood?

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

pfloyd, It would be interesting to see a division-by-division breakdown in the rankings.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

@ JEEP : I agrree with you, but the Jeeps haven't played or will play any serious competiton for a while (Northwest and Ironton St Joe are next) The list looks good

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Praying for you my friend. Looking forward to seeing and talking to you somewhere along the way this season.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd, I hope your chemo sessions go well and that you'll be able to make it to some games somewhere, sometime soon.

I pretty much expected the Trojans to drop out of the top 8......we will lose some more games along the way, and most likely won't return to your Elite teams.......but I can most assuredly say that Portsmouth will look like a MUCH better team after the first 10 games when Andrew Bendolph comes back and Zaide Whitley will be in full form.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

airforcejm
Varsity

Post by airforcejm »

jimmy chipwood wrote:
jchitwood wrote:Ripley is another team that's on the outskirts of the Land Beneath the Lancaster-Dixon Line...they go west for their tournament draw but are part of the SHL. As a team that is favored to win the Big School in the SHL (with all respect to Eastern Brown) I think they deserve a mention somewhere among the treehugger wannabees. They did defeat a strong Bethel-Tate team pretty handily this week.
It really wouldnt surprise me if Ripley would make the move to the SouthEast District some day. They are only 7-8 miles West of Manchester and along with Fayetteville are the only two SHL schools who have not made the move yet. If they had some big shot doing the politics for them Im sure they could make the jump to Southeast. Who knows, if this "move" would have happened about the same time as Eastern Brown's they might have a lot of Sectional Championship banners hanging in their gym. Instead, being in the SouthWest Im not sure they have any Sectional Titles in the last 10-20 years? What do you think Chitwood?
I know someone on the school board at Ripley and they want it to happen. However the head honcho who makes the final decision is against the idea, believing that the kids benefit more from the "stiffer competition" in the southwest.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ripley(believe it or not) has advanced to the Districts 4 times since Eastern Brown moved to the SE District(2000) and even won one district title in the SW district and played for another. Not too bad in 11 years, so it would be nice to see what they could've done in an easier district in all of those years.

Good Luck on Wednesday pfloyd, hopefully all goes well and you're back out on the road this weekend!

One more edit as well: The Greenfield/Madison Plains score was reported incorrectly to WKKJ. Madison Plains won 36-31, so Greenfield is 0-4(I can't believe I just typed that) but they have London on Tuesday and that should be a win for the Tigers.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks daniC, dave, mike ... a little nervous as to what the side effects of the chemo will be BUT can't get it over with unless you "git r' started" ... going to be a long month of treatment ...

... hard to believe GM is 0-4 ... can't remember when a GM team has started out 0-4 on the season ... not much offense from that Tiger group though - haven't reached 50 points in a game on the offense side yet this season ... 33.7 ppg on the offensive side thru 4 games ...

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

pfloyd my prayers go out to you and God bless you as you begin your battle.
Love reading your post and the elite 8, I remember the days at the puddle the battles you had with our friend from A-Town great stuff

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good Luck buddy!

and of course.....rankings look good

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

PFloyd............If you are still coming up Rt. 664 to Falconville tomorrow night I would like to meet the famous one. How will I know who you are?

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Good luck with the chemo Pfloyd! By the way, good list.
bman wrote:Nice looking list pfloyd and good luck with the chemo.

Couple games to watch up here in the Northwest Territory...burr it's getting cold.

Friday
2-0 Circleville @ 2-1 Teays Valley
2-1 Bloom-Carroll @ 3-0 Logan Elm
Logan Elm having another great start to the season, defense has been solid all year thus far. Would LOVE to see Circleville and Logan Elm undefeated going into the game on the 21st.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Here is South Gallia's napkin stats:

SG scoring per game: 53.5
Points allowed per game: 49.0

Team Shooting %: 40%
Freethrow %: 69%

Four guys averaging double figures: Nolan(13.5), Ellis(11.5), Haner(11.0), and Danny Matney(10.0)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...looks like most schools were on a 2 hour delay this morning so we should be able to "tip it off" this evening Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... thank you LetsGoPSU/LoganElm_grad09/I92 for your good wishes for tomorrow's first round of chemo-my mind set is to stay strong so I can see/keep up with the high school hoops that we all enjoy this time of year while still writing the Elite 8 ... seems to be a great "distraction" for me - a good thing LOL ...

... smeltzy ... I have an initial meeting with the oncologist who will be in charge of administering the chemo here in Logan beginning with Thursday's treatment - will make it so I don't have to drive to C'bus everyday of the week to get the chemo ... have that appointment at 5:15 pm today - not sure if I will be able to make the trip to FU tonight - we will see ... you can't miss me - I'll be the LHS fan scribbling down Napkin Stats wearing a white shirt with wait for it ... dancing Purple Hippos on the front LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

TUESDAY
Boys Basketball

SVC

Piketon (2-0/3-0)
Paint Valley (2-0/3-0)

Unioto (2-0/3-0)
Zane Trace (1-1/3-1)

Southeastern (0-2/0-3)
Adena (0-2/0-3)

Huntington (0-2/1-4)
Westfall (0-2/1-2)

SCOL

Miami Trace
Hillsboro

Washington CH
Clinton Massie

McClain
London

SHL

Lynchburg Clay
Ripley

Whiteoak
Leesburg Fairfield

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tuesday 12/14

Warren vs Belpre
Jackson @ Minford
Logan @ Fairfield Union

Friday 12/17

Marietta @ Gallia Academy
Jackson @ Logan
Portsmouth vs Warren

Saturday 12/18

Chillicothe vs Hamilton Twp.
Gallia Academy vs Meigs

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

PFloyd..........that is fine. I would have loved to have met you but your health and well being are the most impt thing right now. Good luck to you and we will be praying for you up here in Falcon Country.
PS......I don`t think it will be much of a game, but you never know. FU`s 2 losses have both been in OT.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Floyd...god bless, hope you're feeling fine!

The Redstreaks play 3 on the road this week starting tonight @ Paint Valley, tomorrow @ Columbus Mifflin, and Friday @ Adena....

Hopefully we make a clean sweep and we continue to get better. Coach Lisath has the boys focused and hungry. We remind the boys every day about the drumming we got from Chesapeake last tourney... So there will be no overlooking anyone. We know we're going to get everyone's best shot; what better way to prepare for a deep tourney run! Go Streaks!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”