Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #1

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #1

Post by pfloyd »

Free Byrd wrote:Just curious... Who did Circleville lose to?

Circleville lost to Bexley 48-56 in game #2 of their season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bballfan wrote:My question is how is Chilly top 8 still, lost their best player til January, 0-2. How is ZT below WCH, they smoked them by 17pts. How's WCH spots behind LE who they beat?? I know it's early...but come onnnn now! (pot stirring commenced...)
Chillicothe started the season as a "preseason" Elite 8 team … the committee of one - me - is not throwing the Cavs out of the Elite 8 after 1 week of play , KNOWING that CHS was down one of if not THE best player in SEO in Tommy Bolte and STILL went into Miami Trace making MT earn a 3 point "W" … not dropping what I KNOW are quality TEAMS/coaching like I would an unknown commodity … ZT is right behind WCH !!! I was juggling over 200 game results - mistakes happen - I'd say being one off "ain't" bad actually …

Logan Elm & Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert get a slow move down the list if that is what happens … great coaches, great tradition, young team with players finding their roles … LE defensively has held their 3 opponents to avg of 48 ppg …

Should I drop Athens out of the Elite 8 as they lost Ibi Watson (transferred) and Zacchia Saltzman (not playing) … I respect the remaining kids and Coach Skinner too much to move them down the rankings if an when they lose "a game or two" … How about Logan ? Logan is at 0-2 and MOVED UP the rankings !!! … there's more than just records in play … a lot of discussion/debate goes on behind closed doors on Sunday ranking day for sure ...

… so 3 complaints out of 72 teams ? not bad imo …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Great information from my source for all things SVC related daniC … he posted this info on the last thread before it was turned loose thought I'd bring them both over to the current Elite 8 thread ...

Unioto vs Paint Valley featured Bob Huggins in the crowd to watch big Dylan Swingle from PV and the big man didn't disappoint. 19 and 9, while showing the ability to run the floor and knock down a jumper. Unioto was able to contain Mason McCloy and that led to a healthy lead at the half (14) and after 3 (14), but the Bearcats were able to cut it to 5 late, before the Shermans scored the final 6 points of the game.
Unioto was led by Nick Corcoran with 20, Cole Cottrill dropped in 15, and Alek Adkins had 12 off of the bench.

Last night in Piketon was ugly from the tip as the Redstreaks were without the services of Casey Moore and Bryce Vulgamore for the duration and without Aaron Southworth for a half. The Shermans led 19-7 after 1 and 45-14 at the half, effectively ending the game's intensity by that point. Lots of playing time for all 13 Shermans wit Casey White and Clay Edler notching their first varsity points. Piketon was led by Wyatt Brewster with 22 points.
Unioto was led by Cottrill and Erique Hosley with 16, Nick Overly with 15, and Alek Adkins with 11. Kyle Strange chipped in with 7 assists as well.

The Shermans will travel to 5-0 Adena on Tuesday.

A couple more thoughts on the SVC schools besides Unioto:

Southeastern has gotten out to a nice start despite losing 3 players that they weren't expected to lose before the season due to transfers. The new bigs have been solid to go along with their 3 very good guards. Cartee is pouring in over 20 a night, while Miles and Dye are each contributing about a dozen each. They should knock off Huntington on Tuesday before being off for a week.

Adena is off to their best start in years behind Jonathan Thomas and company. Their schedule so far hasn't been super difficult, but for a program that is without one of it's top players and is just getting back into the winning mood, it has been perfect. I look for them to push Unioto hard on Tuesday in Frankfort. They are off until the night after Christmas after Tuesday.

Paint Valley had a tough weekend, but I still believe that they will be one of the top D4 teams in the SE District by the end of the season. They lack depth for the back to back grind of SVC play, but I still see them as a top half of the league team by year's end.

Westfall has gotten off to a somewhat surprising start thanks to their upset win over Zane Trace on Friday. The Mustangs are led by 2 juniors (Hayden Mink, Chase Anderson) and a sophomore (Corey Wyman) who are all averaging over 17 a game. Mink and Wyman are small guards that can really shoot it and get to the basket as well. They are an exciting ballclub that will cause a lot of trouble for teams they face this season.

Zane Trace hasn't been all Pierce Mowery like many would have thought before the season. The junior is averaging 25 a game so far, but fellow junior Kristian Boltonhouse is averaging nearly 20 a game to go along with double digit rebounds. The upset loss at the Dome in Williamsport was shocking, but the way they handled a normally solid WCH squad makes me think that this will be a quality team throughout the season. A game to look for on Saturday, Zane Trace hosts Peebles, so Mowery vs Justice could be a shootout for the ages!

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

pfloyd wrote:
bballfan wrote:My question is how is Chilly top 8 still, lost their best player til January, 0-2. How is ZT below WCH, they smoked them by 17pts. How's WCH spots behind LE who they beat?? I know it's early...but come onnnn now! (pot stirring commenced...)
Chillicothe started the season as a "preseason" Elite 8 team … the committee of one - me - is not throwing the Cavs out of the Elite 8 after 1 week of play , KNOWING that CHS was down one of if not THE best player in SEO in Tommy Bolte and STILL went into Miami Trace making MT earn a 3 point "W" … not dropping what I KNOW are quality TEAMS/coaching like I would an unknown commodity … ZT is right behind WCH !!! I was juggling over 200 game results - mistakes happen - I'd say being one off "ain't" bad actually …

Logan Elm & Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert get a slow move down the list if that is what happens … great coaches, great tradition, young team with players finding their roles … LE defensively has held their 3 opponents to avg of 48 ppg …

Should I drop Athens out of the Elite 8 as they lost Ibi Watson (transferred) and Zacchia Saltzman (not playing) … I respect the remaining kids and Coach Skinner too much to move them down the rankings if an when they lose "a game or two" … How about Logan ? Logan is at 0-2 and MOVED UP the rankings !!! … there's more than just records in play … a lot of discussion/debate goes on behind closed doors on Sunday ranking day for sure ...

I hear ya, just wondering....don't get your pfloyd panties in a bunch. Good stuff!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd wrote:

and two of them do not count :lol:

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Pfloyd, one great thing about BB is the teams play enough games that a true picture will come out of the dark room. The effort, and the love of high school basketball you exhibit are second to none! I, for one Thank You, and the Mrs, for keeping all posted. Keep up the wonderful job and God's speed!
This old Trojan in Arizona looks forward to the new edition each and every week and to all the poster's out there---keep
them coming.

Merry CHRISTmas

Wipala
aka, Walt

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'll be over in Trimble tonight, Floyd.

Don't worry, I'll give you a full report ... I want to see another 'little guy' crack that top 8!!!

Of course tonight's game will be on Power 105.5 or wxtq.com

Early reports from the Tomcats:

Starting line-up

PG Justice Jenkins 6'1
SG Austin Downs 6'0
SF Bryce Guthrie 6'4
PF Micah County 6'5
C Grant Clarke 6'7

Not your everyday DIV line up.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I was going to say hello, Floyd, but you ran out of the gym faster than the refs did! :)

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Irontons record is (1-2)

Lost to Lucasville - 44-47
Lost to Huntington, WV - 57-77 - HHS is the Defending AAA State Champs and the #1 Ranked Team in WV.
Beat Gallipolis - 54-40

Next up

12/22 - Waverly @ Ironton - The game is part of the Ironton Classic

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 66
Adena 42

From winning the opening tip and Nick Corcoran scoring immediately, the Shermans were in complete control from that point on. Unioto led at all breaks 21-7, 35-18, 48-28. Hunter Miller played outstanding for the Warriors with 18 and 11. Corcoran led the Shermans with 19, Nick Overly poured in 10. 4 other Shermans scored between 7 and 9 as well. Kyle Strange played outstanding defense on Jonathan Thomas, holding him to only 6 points on 2 3's.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Word is that Westfall's Chase Anderson hit 7 consecutive 3's in their 81-79 overtime loss to Paint Valley. OSU was in the house watching Swingle who had 22 and 9, McFadden had 20, McCloy and Stratton with 17. Anderson ended with 9 3's and 29 points while Corey Wymon pitched in with 25.
Khristian Boltonhouse went nuts again for ZT with 31 and 11, while Mowery had 20 in their win over Piketon.

This weekend in the SVC:

12/20:
Paint Valley at South Webster
Unioto at Jackson
Amanda Clearcreek at Westfall
Peebles at Zane Trace

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Trimble 72, Belpre 58

Belpre 13 12 8 25 — 58
Trimble 18 13 19 22 — 72

BELPRE 58 (1-3, 1-2 TVC Hocking)
Scott Carpenter 7 0-0 20, Kyle Windland 0 4-5 4, Sam Petty 0 2-2 2, Zac Pribble 0 0-0 0, Logan Plummer 1 6-6 9, Natan Mason 0 0-0 0, Deijon Bedgood 7 4-6 21, Tavian Miller 0 2-2 2, Ethan Williams 0 0-0 0, Tik Wong 0 0-0 0, Malik Hunt 0 0-0 0, Mythius Houghton 0 0-0 0; TOTALS 15 18-21 58; 3-point goals — 10 (Carpenter 6, Bedgood 3, Plummer 1).

TRIMBLE 72 (1-0, 1-0 TVC Hocking)
Cody Jones 0 0-0 0, Austin Downs 1 0-0 2, Jeremy Blake 0 0-0 0, Bryce Guthrie 3 3-4 9, Tyler Sayre 2 0-1 5, Michael Williams 0 0-0 0, Justice Jenkins 9 4-4 23, Micah Couch 8 2-3 18, Grant Clark 5 1-2 11, Caullin Lunsford 1 0-0 2, James Shonborn 1 0-0 2; TOTALS 30 10-14 72; 3-point goals — Two (Sayre, Jenkins 1 each).

TEAM STATISTICS/INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Field goals — Belpre 15-53 (.283), 3-point 10-36 (.278); Trimble 30-53 (.566), 3-point 2-11 (.182); Free throws — Belpre 18-21 (.857), Trimble 10-14 (.714); Rebounds — Belpre 24 (Bedgood 4), Trimble 45 (Clark 11); Assists — Belpre 8 (Plummer 4), Trimble 13 (Downs 5); Steals — Belpre 9 (Miller 5), Trimble 6 (Jenkins 2); Blocks — Belpre 1, Trimble 5 (Clark 4); Turnovers — Belpre 15, Trimble 23; Team fouls — Belpre 17, Trimble 20; Technical fouls — None. JV Score — Belpre 48, Trimble 39.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

I expect River Valley's stock to rise in the near future after the drumming of the top 20 pfloyd rated team, Nelsonville York, on Tuesday night.......RV should have beat Oak Hill as well........IMO........but they didnt.......and the beating they took by Peake (whom I think should be approaching the top 10)leaves lots of work to be done......but as the new coach gets experience and learns from his mistakes......this will be a team no one will want to face come tourny time......IMO...............

Keep up the good work pfloyd.......spot on as usual

GO RAIDERS!!!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Lucasville Valley 3-0

Valley 47 Ironton 44
Valley 58 Northwest 39
Valley 43 Wheelersburg 31

Indians have had about 8 practices...and were missing 1 starter against Burg...I look for them to get better and better as the season rolls along.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Crooksville is probably the worst team in SEO & i doubt it's close. They lost their best player to an ACL tear during football and a few other kids too. They are much, much worse than New Lex(who got a nice win over Morgan last night).

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

chicken_coop wrote:Lucasville Valley 3-0

Valley 47 Ironton 44
Valley 58 Northwest 39

Indians have had about 8 practices...and were missing 1 starter against Burg...I look for them to get better and better as the season rolls along.

c_coop … what's the Saturday matchup look like between your Indians and Harvest Prep ?

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Miami Trace will lose Tyrae Pettiford for the next two games because he stupidly got 2 technicals and was ejected last night vs East Clinton when MT was up 20 pts at the time. I don't know what he did because I didn't make it to the game, but it doesn't surprise me because, from what I've heard, the coach has no disciplinary control of his team especially with the three brothers and they pretty much run the team. This will really hurt any chance MT might have had vs Wilmington Friday (who are the real deal with 2 brothers who are D1 recruits and their closest game was a 15-pt win vs Cincinnati Moeller). The Pettiford boys are very good and the best players on the team but the coach better get control of the situation or there may be more of this coming throughout the season.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I almost would guarantee that situation would not arise again

r1master
Riding the Bench

Post by r1master »

Per conversation with faculty at East Clinton, apparently after being ejected, there was also some significant damage done by the Trace player to their visitors lockerroom..if this is in fact true, that's very disappointing

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

pfloyd wrote:
chicken_coop wrote:Lucasville Valley 3-0

Valley 47 Ironton 44
Valley 58 Northwest 39

c_coop … what's the Saturday matchup look like between your Indians and Harvest Prep ?

It should be a good matchup...Prep was in the DIV final four last year, so it's a VERY GOOD quality early season opponent for the Indians. The lack of gym time might catch up with them playing opponent on this level. Valley does play West the night before I believe, so hopefully they are good and loose for the Prep game Saturday @ SSU.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”