Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 5

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm still 95% sure that Logan Elm beat Athens head to head, but maybe that's just me.

Unioto coasts past Westfall 76-54. Corcoran led Unioto with 19, Hosley 12, Overly, Strange, True each added 10. Unioto travels to face Greenfield tomorrow evening.

I watched Zane Trace dismantle Southeastern tonight, 61-37. Southeastern had an interesting strategy of not guarding Pierce Mowery until the 2nd quarter, but by that point he had 18 of his game high 23 and ZT was up 15. It was strange, but ZT played fantastic defense and looks to have woken up from last weekends stumble.

Zane Trace (11-1) travels to Vinton County tomorrow. Southeastern (9-2) hosts Miami Trace in a big non conference tilt.

Piketon stays hot with a 62-57 win against Huntington.
Paint Valley also stays hot with a 64-54 win over Adena.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC ... any word on the stat line for my boy Mason McCloy for Paint Valley ? ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:daniC ... any word on the stat line for my boy Mason McCloy for Paint Valley ? ...

Nothing yet, but from what I heard was the PV shooters played a big part in their W tonight. I will post his stats the minute I see them though!

Piketon at Portsmouth will be another big non conference tilt tomorrow night!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Piketon has definitely "worked something out" - 5 wins in their last 6 games ... I believe they are in the thick of the SVC title hunt as well at 5-2 in league play ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Big Mason McCloy posted another monster night of 20 pts and 16 Rebs!!

During their 5 game win streak, he's averaged 23 pts and 20.2 rpg. Paint Valley battles Western tomorrow night, we'll see if he can post another big night.

SVC Standings have ZT and Unioto at 6-1 and Piketon/SE at 5-2 after the 1st round! Piketon definitely has figured some things out in a big way.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

WarriorBlue wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:Athens 57
Akron SVSM 67
final
if Athens wins out, id say they will get the one seed. Tonight showed Athens can play against the best
Im sure Warren will have something to say about that come January 21st at the WarriorDome!
hopefully game is moved to a bigger gym. Warren's students wont get a seat. Be a lot of unhappy warren and Athens ppl

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm should be in the driver's seat for the No. 1 unless they lose a few more. Logan Elm did beat Athens on its home court after all.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The Valley Indians went on the road and started their huge weekend with a win over fellow conference unbeaten Minford. The Falcons jumped out early and led 16-8 after one. Valley settled in and got the game back to one at the half. The Indians had a big 3rd quarter to take a 4 point lead into the 4th. Valley then stretched it out to 8-9 on several occasions in the final period. Minford, especially Sophomore Tre Kelly, hit some huge shots in the final minutes to keep Minford within striking distance, but Valley hit (I believe) 10 of 12 free throws in the final 1:30 to get the win. The Indians dominated the glass to get the W.

This is a huge win for the Indians as they now have a 1 game lead with 8 to play in the conference. With Minford, Wheelersburg, and West coming to Lucasville in the second half of the league season, Valley has put themselves in a great spot. However, there is still a ton of basketball to be played.

Individually for Valley, I think that Junior 6th man Ryan Brown played the best game of his varsity career. Brown did not score a point until the final 2 minutes, but he grabbed 9 very big rebounds and his length in the zone caused problems for Minford. Down the stretch, Brown hit 7 of 8 free throws to keep the Indians ahead. Great performance from Ryan. His energy off the bench is awesome.

I think that Jordan West may have played the best "floor game" in his 4 year career. Jordan is a very good shooter who hasn't quite found his stroke yet. Instead of letting that effect his game, he has went to the glass unlike he ever has before. I had him for 12 boards last night and that is his (I think) 3rd double digit rebound game in the last 3 weeks. He made several very good passes that resulted in foul shots for teammates. Even without making many shots, he still scored 10 points. If Jordan plays like he did tonight, Valley is going to be a very tough out. He will get his stroke figured out and then his game will go to another level.

Hayden Dunn did his thing last night. He battled Jared McCray all night and finished with 20 points and 6 rebounds. When Valley was struggling to score early, Hayden carried the load. He had 13 of the Indians 25 halftime points.

Zach Shope, Chris Flowers (9 points), and Bryan Rolfe (10 points) did the bulk of the ball handling and did a very good job. These 3 Indian guards flat out get after it on defensive. They were huge last night.

Valley gets a couple of hours to enjoy the win and then they load the bus to head to Peake to battle Athens. I'm sure the Bulldogs will be full of piss and vinegar after their loss to ASVSM. It will be a fun time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks crab's brother ... THAT was a game "rundown" - perfect ...including the all important "napkin stats" ... I am a fan of the Valley ball club - I can't remember a season when there weren't "BIGS" in an Indians uniform LOL ... athletes that play every sport from football to baseball/track ... god to see Hayden Dunn getting it "done" in the paint for the Indians , sounds like with more inside help on the glass from West and Brown "THAT" alone makes the Indians a very dangerous team ... one of the keys stats that you threw out was the 10/12 shooting from the FT line down the stretch ... I KNOW I posted early on when I saw Valley play that I felt THAT was their achilles heal that would determine how far they go in the "one and done" season ... when a team goes to the boards and can take it to the rim they WILL get to the line, when a team gets to the line they HAVE TO convert - sounds like the Indians are doing just that ... good stuff crab's brother ! thanks !!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Logan Elm should be in the driver's seat for the No. 1 unless they lose a few more. Logan Elm did beat Athens on its home court after all.
Logan Elm beat Athens.
Logan Elm didn't beat Athens 2.0.
The Bulldogs now don't even come close to resembling the team that played LE after a few weeks of practice.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens 9 14 18 16 - 57
ASVSM 14 13 20 20 - 67

Burrow - 15
Watson - 15
Saltzmen - 11
Lutz - 11
Ryan Luehrman 5

ASVSM

6'5 Jalen Husdon (Virginia Tech) - 18
6'7 V.J. King (future Ohio State Buckeye) - 10
6'2 Josh Williams (Akron recruit) - 12
6'5 Henry Baddley - 16
6'5 Jibri Blount - 9

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Only 73 pts scored in the Gallia Portsmouth game, for those that were there was it a slow down or did both teams struggle on the offensive side of the floor, The Trojans have yet to put up 70 pts thus far.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Let'sGoPSU: I was at the PHS-GAHS game last night..........it was a typical game with GAHS.......they tried to control tempo, and the Trojans defended well, but they can't steal the ball on every possession......Gallia Academy tries to play this way against the Trojans every year.......they simply will not give a hint of pushing the pace against PHS.......yes, we scored 49 points, but won by 25......this after a 10 day layoff from Florida. I'm very happy with being 7-2 at this point of the season, with 5 straight wins.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Coal Grove 51

#5 Eastern Brown 43

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolcorner7 »

Crab's brother wrote:The Valley Indians went on the road and started their huge weekend with a win over fellow conference unbeaten Minford. The Falcons jumped out early and led 16-8 after one. Valley settled in and got the game back to one at the half. The Indians had a big 3rd quarter to take a 4 point lead into the 4th. Valley then stretched it out to 8-9 on several occasions in the final period. Minford, especially Sophomore Tre Kelly, hit some huge shots in the final minutes to keep Minford within striking distance, but Valley hit (I believe) 10 of 12 free throws in the final 1:30 to get the win. The Indians dominated the glass to get the W.

This is a huge win for the Indians as they now have a 1 game lead with 8 to play in the conference. With Minford, Wheelersburg, and West coming to Lucasville in the second half of the league season, Valley has put themselves in a great spot. However, there is still a ton of basketball to be played.

Individually for Valley, I think that Junior 6th man Ryan Brown played the best game of his varsity career. Brown did not score a point until the final 2 minutes, but he grabbed 9 very big rebounds and his length in the zone caused problems for Minford. Down the stretch, Brown hit 7 of 8 free throws to keep the Indians ahead. Great performance from Ryan. His energy off the bench is awesome.

I think that Jordan West may have played the best "floor game" in his 4 year career. Jordan is a very good shooter who hasn't quite found his stroke yet. Instead of letting that effect his game, he has went to the glass unlike he ever has before. I had him for 12 boards last night and that is his (I think) 3rd double digit rebound game in the last 3 weeks. He made several very good passes that resulted in foul shots for teammates. Even without making many shots, he still scored 10 points. If Jordan plays like he did tonight, Valley is going to be a very tough out. He will get his stroke figured out and then his game will go to another level.

Hayden Dunn did his thing last night. He battled Jared McCray all night and finished with 20 points and 6 rebounds. When Valley was struggling to score early, Hayden carried the load. He had 13 of the Indians 25 halftime points.

Zach Shope, Chris Flowers (9 points), and Bryan Rolfe (10 points) did the bulk of the ball handling and did a very good job. These 3 Indian guards flat out get after it on defensive. They were huge last night.

Valley gets a couple of hours to enjoy the win and then they load the bus to head to Peake to battle Athens. I'm sure the Bulldogs will be full of piss and vinegar after their loss to ASVSM. It will be a fun time.
Brown is such a GREAT kid (as are all the Valley Boys). It is great to hear that he had such a big impact in a VERY important game. VERY pleased to hear we were MUCH better from the line. If we would have shot our season average from the stripe we would be a sad group today. Thanks again Crab!! Stay blessed and everyone get home safe from the "Peake" tonight.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Sorry 93Dog, but when records are submitted for the draw December games do count. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, Athens folks would be holding up the head-to-head win.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

davegrohlfan06
Waterboy

Post by davegrohlfan06 »

Logan Elm with a convincing 21 point victory tonight over a stout Bloom Carroll team. If they win out through Feb. 8th, there shouldn't be a doubt they are the 1 seed in the Logan sectional.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Southeastern 67
Miami Trace 64
2 overtimes

Zane Trace 55
Vinton County 53

Unioto 65
McClain 42

Paint Valley 75
Western 67
Mason McCloy with 28 pts and 17 Rebs...this is getting absurd.

Portsmouth 76
Piketon 49

Chillicothe 55
Ironton 44

Teays Valley 43
Circleville 41
Overtime
Last edited by danicalifornia on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Funny how we squabble over a No. 1 seed ... but in reality, you'll have to face a great team no matter what. Only 1 district champion.

Either you beat a good/great team in Logan - or face them 2 weeks later at the Convo.

:)

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I haven't posted here in a long time so I figured I'd come back.

If Logan Elm would finish with only one win, they would deserve the #1. (Not saying this because I'm an alumnus; I would say the same thing about Athens if the shoe were flipped.) Logan Elm isn't the same team that it was when they played Athens; they are playing great basketball right now.

I'm not saying that they will, I don't think they will because this is a sport where on some nights shots just don't fall. I would love to see Logan Elm finish the season with only one loss, but that is a LOT of basketball to be played.

One more thing: Where is the discussion for Warren? Haven't read much there.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”