Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 30th

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pantherpaw
Freshman Team

Post by pantherpaw »

Chesapeake Panthers are on an 8-game winning streak with a 76-39 win over the Coal Grove Hornets.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Zanesville 80, Jackson 32.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:Zanesville 80, Jackson 32.

OUCH!!! Poor Jackson...They have had a brutal schedule out of the gate, and the scores show it.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Probably fortunate tonight that we have another road game on Saturday, too. I hope the Jacksonians give their new coach some time to get this thing going again. Sometimes you have to hit rockbottom first.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't want to get touch as it's a fine line of what is right and what is wrong. The comment about "probably being fortunate we have another road game tomorrow could hit Jackson fans the wrong way.

If they were concerned about back to back road games then whey play the stars till 4:00 left in the game up 40?

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

wow, till 4 min. left?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Final

Wheelersburg.......16 - 18 - 10 - 14 = 58
West.....................03 - 15 - 13 - 07 = 38

Wheelersburg
Spradlin...18, 4-3 pt shots
Jenkins...13, 3-3 pt shots
Lang...8
Conley...8
Cook...4
A. Stegman...2
M. Stegman...2
Proehl...3

Sht...22/61, 36%
FT...7/9, 78%
Reb...29
TO...3

West
Jordan...16
Brandenburg...5
Simpson...9
Bricker...7
Journey...1

Sht...15/32, 46%
FT...6/12, 50%
Reb...20
TO...15

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

osumufan wrote:IMO South Point is either better than I think or very lucky. They should have won some of their games by big margins but win in the last seconds in two games.They really haven played any hard teams yet. I hope they win at Fairland but don't think they will pull it out. If the weather holds out I hope the Pointers can prove me wrong. ;-)

I guess I was wrong. but that's OK we still pulled out the win!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Huntington pulls out the win against a very game Unioto squad, 49-38.

Huntington went up like 10-0 to start the game and then Unioto pretty much kept it around 4 the rest of the night, but just couldn't get the big basket to get it below 3. Justin Kellough led the Huntsmen with 19, he was all over the place tonight. I really liked his game, Corey Cottrell and Josh Kellough were also in double figures. Curtis Baker led Unioto with 11, but Ryan Shreve had a big game with 9pts and 14 rebounds(according to WKKJ)

I think it was a 4 point game with around 2 minutes left when Huntington made a basket and was able to knock down their FT's down the stretch.

Huntington moves to 10-0, while Unioto drops to 2-8

Westfall won over Southeastern
Piketon over Adena in OT. Adena led throughout, but lost another lead. That's the thing with inexpiernce, it's tough to pull out some of those close games.

jottings
SEOPS H

Reserve score?

Post by jottings »

Zane-Trace...Final reserve score with Jackson?

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

ironman92 ...

Here's the reason: Last week, our Athens game was the only one in a 12-day span. This week, Jackson and Wheeling Park on back-to-back nights, it's likely there is more thought toward Park (and this in natural since we have more than a one-game history with the Patriots).

Let me ask you this, since I was not there -- while some of those starters may not have sat "for good" until that point, were they the only players on the floor from tipoff to that point?

This is the problem we have. We're trying to prepare in an effort to win a state title. Our kids have got to play. To be brutally honest, we're not going to challenge for a state title with the players who are beyond 8 or 9 on our bench. That's just fact. And you don't get quality preparation for tournament play by ramping up your practices and backing down in games. It doesn't work that way.

Look, we don't like this situation any more than those who are on the receiving end. What I know is that we're not out there doing things to get cheap baskets (trap, press, etc.). But we're going to do what we have to do to get ready. bronc21 is aghast that it was until 4 minutes left. Exactly what is the "rule" for pulling your starters -- time and differential? There isn't one. We could be derided for playing them beyond halftime. It doesn't matter what we do in these instances because we can't "win" the reasoning either way.

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

zanes/jack

Post by tropicalbreeze »

I was at the game. Zanes had a mix of bench and starters in at the 4 min mark. They started the 4th qter with their starters, BUT, not 1 time was there any full court pressure (except an occasional 1 man press swiping at the ball) the whole game. Matter of fact there was not any intensity from Zanes IMO. There was more intensity from the student section. I've seen Zanes 2 times this year, Nerk and Jackson, looked liked 2 different teams. The Zanes in the Nerk game would have beaten Jackson by 80 points. I have to believe games like that hurts a team more so than helps a team. The surprising thing to me was Scott let his team play so lackadasical, but I suppose if he was jumping up and down demanding they play harder, he would have caught crap for that. ZV is correct it's a no win situation. Zanes walked the ball up the floor the whole 1st half of the game, and we know that's not Zanes. give credit to the Jackson kids. They played hard and competed the best they could. Jackson has a GREAT facility and I'm sure the BB program will come around quickly. Their student body was there in support, it's just a matter of time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... let's see the teams fans on the receiving end of the Zanesville scores all want ZHS to play their TEAM up to a certain score or score differential then pull THEIR TEAM while the team on the short end plays THEIR starters??? why just the ZHS TEAM pulling their starters ? come on people !!!... each team puts their TEAM on the floor to "compete" IF the opponent can't compete? is it the fault of ZHS? ... look at the Logan score a couple of weeks ago - 93 to 36 the 'ville ... I wasn't upset with the score at all, if an opposing team can't put a "competitive" team on the floor - and Logan at D1 SHOULD be able to put a competitive team on the floor- Logan may not win BUT should be able to give any team they play a competitive game ... imo a Zanesville should be able to look down their schedule, see D1 Logan and expect that the game should be "competitve" rather than a 57 point lopsided score ... who's fault is it ? Zanesville running the score up? or the fact that Logan isn't able as a D1 school to compete ... the easy answer is to "moan" about "they played their TEAM!" ... the harder - look at yourself first (and the right thing to do by the way) "WE need to be better" attitude? - wouldn't want to do that - say it's something we aren't doing right in our program ... easier to go ahead as we're doing , compete against the teams WE are equal with "athletically", pound on the teams (how hypocritical) we are athletically better than RATHER than "doing it right" - develop ball players 7-12 , coach the fundamentals in the lower grades - make the player - good, make the good player better, make the best of the lot outstanding ... instead if you look at most of the teams - youngsters are brought up due to physical ability alone ... are they ready for the varsity level - no - physically/mentally can't do it - look at Logan's game vs Chilli last night ... sophomores can't physically compete with jr/sr players that have 18 year olds' size, strength and skills in most cases ... imo its a coaching copout to put on the floor a group of athletes that CAN beat teams that they are athletically better than BUT when it comes to opponents that ARE "ATHLETICALLY" equal or better than you - you can't compete ... when coaching doesn't give the players the tools needed to compete other than the players own athletic ability ? makes it impossible for a team to "compete" vs the better teams ... bottomline is that the lopsided scores happen , coaches - the good ones should be "coaching" the most during those games no matter which side of the score your on ... I sat behind the Logan Elm bench when LE as down 12 points - coaching was going on - getting kids to focus mentally/physically ... when LE went up by 14-18 - coaching still going on - preparing for "down the road" - mentally and physically ... that's why the LE "program" is successful year in year out - no down years ... even coaches can learn to "coach" in those types of situations - how do I keep this game from getting out of hand?, how do I keep my team competitive?, what adjustments can I make to help my players/team in this type of situation? how do we compete vs a team with superior athletes, a better team ... imo you may still lose BUT at least you can compete ... more importantly players and coaches learn "things" that will help them /work down the road so both players and coaches can "compete" - TEAM can compete ...

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

pfloyd,
wait until your team is on the other end of that spectrum and watch how quick you change your tune. no one likes to be embarrassed. i have seen some coaches call off the dogs early and regret it and i have also seen some guys who try to bury people. i also believe playing time must be earned and the guys on the end of the bench should go into a game and do things the team way.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

" seen it from both sides" ... Logan's been embarrassed 93-36 by Zanesville, last night 76-41 by Chillicothe ... Logan dished out an 89-53 set back to Athens ... we've been on both sides of the fence ...

tropicalbreeze
Freshman Team

Pfloyd's 8

Post by tropicalbreeze »

Wow. Pfloyd, That was a "commom sense" thrashing. Makes sense to me. Good Job!

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

pfloyd ... I'd also note that Logan caught us on an exceptionally good shooting night, too, which had a lot to do with that.

Also, despite lopsided scores, you don't see our kids getting in the faces of their opponents and "rubbing it in." They show up, they play, they go home.

As for the rest of you critics, your time for retribution is coming. Trust me.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm not trying to be a critic...I have wished Zville well in nearly everyone one of these posts.

Please don't explain anything else for my sake.......I understand...I just don't agree completely...no big deal.

On the losing end I would not have been upset for the winning coach wanting his team to play harder.

About the 6:00 mark I was thinking this is the time to clear the way a good bit.

Being at the game it certainly seemed as if a couple of players were left in to get a little high point total...that's the way I saw it and nothing is going to change that perception.

Best of Luck to Zville...well coached, great team....good luck.

No need for further explanation, I wasn't trying to make Zville look bad or not classy.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SHL
Eastern Brown 61
Lynchburg Clay 75

Fayetteville 34
Whiteoak 58

Leesburg Fairfield 61
West Union 66

...big win by Lynchburg

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great job on the scores and stats from last night - heck we even had WKKJ out of Chillicothe posting scores AND TEAM RECORDS for last nights games ... darn "napkin stats" are contagious aren't they?!! LOL ... all the info on the games does a lot to keep us all informed as to who's doing what - getting the kids names out there for all of us to start recognizing ... gotta luv it ... thanks for all of the input ...

... the posts on the "score differentials" - again it's great to be able to post an opinion, have others disagree BUT do it with class by giving their own opinions and backing them up ... good stuff - greatly appreciated in this time of forums being only places where people hide behind usernames and trash the world ... thanks for keeping it real (LOL) - I didn't say that did I??? LOL ...

... another good night of hoops ... interested in hearing about the Portsmouth @ Wheelersburg batttle ... Waverly entertaining Vinton County ... I know there are many more ...tell us about 'em all ... I'm going to the Katie tonight to watch my Purple get their record back to .500 vs New Lexington ... I'll give you the highlights after the game ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”