Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 6

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Ironman92 wrote:If LE would beat them 1/2 of the time then why would NA not be #1?

If it's a done deal that LE is the best team in the district.....then Pfloyd just needs to quit putting up a new rankings every Sunday.

Pfloyd put Piketon a top with LE....don't tell me NA isn't as deserving as Piketon was last week.

NA should be #1......but man that schedule is WEAK. I still would give it to them because they're undefeated and with their schedule will be 20-0. I'm not sold on them being the best in the District. LE, Chilli, Piketon, Ironton, Portsmouth, Burg plays a tougher schedule.....NA needs to beef up the schedule next season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

They play virtually the same schedule every year......and yet they never get upset in the tourney. They are a small D3 that plays in a 10 school league of small D4 and small D3 schools.

I'm pretty sure Dave Young knows how to schedule for his team to not only be successful but still be battle-tested for the tourney.

A few years ago Lucasville Valley was 17-3 playing the likes of the tough Wheelersburg, Waverly, Minford and 3 teams that all defeated them in some huge tourney in the Carolinas I believe...they were then defeated by a .500 Westfall team in the first game of their sectinals.

The tough schedule doesn't always help....every year NA plays a similar schedule and they never lose in the tourney until they face a higher seeded team. What other schools can say that?

And Piketon's tough schedule helped them beat Huntington in OT and then lost to them.

Chilly's tough, tough schedule didn't help them make 10/23 free throws and lose to 5-5 Warren Local that just got it handed to them by Gallipolis....who was just drilled by Jackson.

Portsmouth???? Yeah, their tough schedule has led to losses at Jackson and Marietta.

North Adams has made the district tournament I believe 14 out of the past 17 seasons and 9 or 10 straight....without ever being upset. Their coach has over 370 career wins and a state tournament to his resume...........and of course this year undefeated with zero transfers.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

jimison came to north adams his sophomore year from western brown.

the manager
Waterboy

Post by the manager »

I believe last year was Jimisons first year playing with North Adams wasnt it?

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Ironman92 wrote:They play virtually the same schedule every year......and yet they never get upset in the tourney. They are a small D3 that plays in a 10 school league of small D4 and small D3 schools.

I'm pretty sure Dave Young knows how to schedule for his team to not only be successful but still be battle-tested for the tourney.

A few years ago Lucasville Valley was 17-3 playing the likes of the tough Wheelersburg, Waverly, Minford and 3 teams that all defeated them in some huge tourney in the Carolinas I believe...they were then defeated by a .500 Westfall team in the first game of their sectinals.

The tough schedule doesn't always help....every year NA plays a similar schedule and they never lose in the tourney until they face a higher seeded team. What other schools can say that?

And Piketon's tough schedule helped them beat Huntington in OT and then lost to them.

Chilly's tough, tough schedule didn't help them make 10/23 free throws and lose to 5-5 Warren Local that just got it handed to them by Gallipolis....who was just drilled by Jackson.

Portsmouth???? Yeah, their tough schedule has led to losses at Jackson and Marietta.

North Adams has made the district tournament I believe 14 out of the past 17 seasons and 9 or 10 straight....without ever being upset. Their coach has over 370 career wins and a state tournament to his resume...........and of course this year undefeated with zero transfers.

good points, well taken.....I mean no disrespect to NA or Coach Young....I love non-football schools that gets a jump on everyone..... plus a good record helps getting that first round bye in the Sectional, play one game and you're in the District.....How many District Titles do they have? I say #1 this week, but not the best team. I'd like to see NA play Chilli, Piketon, or Portsmouth or even their schedules. Life on the road in the SEOL or SVC is a lot tougher than SHL any day of the week this year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I agree.....I know Chilly and LE and Ironton and others could certainly beat NA.

They have to more than earn their high seeding each year.....their sectional is pretty tough and the SVC coaches usually seem to get their way moreso than the SHL coaches.

Yes, they may get out in 1 game, but it seems their sectional final game vs a #7 or #8 seed is seemingly hotter and better than the #4-6 seeds....but every year they get out....no upsets....it's obviously not easy or their would be other D3 teams doing the same.

As for district.....they usually get beat by the other sectional #1......a few times it was the rare losses Chesapeake team and I think he has 3 district titles. He also has a regional title of a 25-0 team that lost on a shot completely after the buzzer and everyone I've heard that was there said they were the best team....I have no idea.....just what those at the state tournament that year said.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Im watching for this weeks poll. PFLOYD must be knee deep in napkins. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Last year Fairland beat them in the districts first round they were a #1 seed and we were a # 4 seed. I am not impressed with NA and would rather play them up at the Convo than some of the other top teams playing in that sectional.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I would rather play them than a healthy Ironton.

Did Fairland and NA have the same record during that meeting?

Fairland did put it to them....too bad Lamb left. Fairland still seems to be doing well.

"usually"

The tournament will be very interesting.

C'mon Pfloyd...no pressure, get your rankings out! lol

I predict 2 #1's LE and NA.......and the winner getting a free pass to the regionals.....or maybe just a tough sectional final game.

Good Luck to all the kids that play the right way......hard, hard and hard.

I'm not being unreasonable.....just trying to keep info up on SHL teams. They tend to get overlooked on here.....for obvious reasons such as location. 4 of the 8 SHL teams in the SE district have been to the state tourney in the last 15 years.....they are at least worth knowing about.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Once again, good points, well taken....this year the SHL is down, but that doesn't mean they can't pull off an upset. Lynchburg just took Huntington down to the wire, and Huntington beat Piketon....so who knows what will happen.
I guess we will soon see. I was glad to see NA in the latest AP Poll. I heard a Columbus Sports Writer said he seen Piketon at Westfall and they were the best DIII team he had seen all year....but who has he seen?

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Im not so sure that the SHL is down this year? The only reason I would give an edge to conferences like SVC and Soc 2 over SHL is because they are predominantly Div 3. Shl is 50/50 div3/4! North Adams, Peebles, manchester, Fairfield, Eastern Brown are all solid teams that will be hard outs come tourny time. Hell, Lynchburg has only 1 win and loses to huntington by 1? West Union is not good and beats Clay by 25 and P.West by 12 & loses to Fairland by 7 early in year? Those are probably the two weakest teams in Shl. North Adams doubles Southeastern 68-34 and Eastern Brown defeated Huntington earlier this year I believe.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Portsmouth's loss at Jackson was not a good showing for the Trojans, but Marietta leads the North division........and we were tied with less than a minute to go.......it was the Trojans best game since starting 5-0......I was at the game........we played well but just didn't finish the game.........

We don't deserve to be in the top 8 anymore..........but we still are better than last year.........

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”