Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio 09.10

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio 09.10

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Vinton County beat Warren tonight by 4 in what was a scrimmage only in name. This game was played just as a regular game would be played. Both teams were very sluggish in the first quarter and only scored 6 points a piece. Actually I feel both teams played sluggish for most of the game. VC pulled it together in the 4th and got the w. I think VC will be climbing your charts very soon Mr. Floyd.
Last edited by BLUEGRASSVIKE on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

What a game in McArthur!! The Vikings and Warriors put on a great 'pre season' show tonight in front of a pretty good crowd based on the fact the game meant nothing in the record books. Both teams got out to a slow start with many missed shots and turnover after turnover. After one, the Vikings and Warriors were knotted up at 6 apeice. The second quarter saw a few more baskets but just as many turnovers. Both teams picked up the tempo a bit in the second qtr and traded baskets all the way till halftime. The score at the half..23-22 Warren. Both teams made small runs in the 3rd quarter and the biggest lead either way was about 6 or 7 points. The 4th quarter saw much of the same as VC got out to a 5 or 6 point lead only to see the Warriors come back and take the lead. The game was tied at 49 with only a couple minutes to go. From there on the Vikings scored to take the lead and made a big stop only to miss 2 free throws on the other end. Warren had the ball but couldnt convert and the Vikings iced it with free throws from there on. After all said and done, VC came out with a 55-51 win. The Vikings spread the ball around fairly well and had many contributers. The Vikings defense played, overall, well imo. Ethan Allen had a few blocks and steals and Lawhead flew around all night with a couple steals going coast to coast. VC had a few problems with rebounding as Warren snagged many offensive boards. Not sure on the count but im sure Warren had the edge on the boards by 6 or 7. The Warriors are a scrappy bunch and really played a physical ball game. The Vikings looked to have the speed advantage but size advantage went to Warren. The Vikings went 9 deep with a few different looks. The Vikings won a tough game but need to work on cutting down on turovers and rebounding a bit better. I think the tired legs from playing in a scrimmage last night had a little to do with the sluggish play of the Vikings. From what I saw tonight, VC is very much improved from last year, but i feel will have some trouble with teams that have a big size advantage. The Vikings weak point will probably be rebounding. As for speed...VC may be one of the quickest teams around. The Vikings will look to continue to build on a great preseason so far as they play in Athens on the 27th. The Vikings first game will be at Paint Valley then John Glenn @ the Convo(who ive seen on other threads is the early season favorite in the MVL) It will be a good test for the Vikings before TVC play starts. If the Vikings can get through the first few games...There wil be a BIG showdown in McArthur when Zane Trace comes to town.

The Vikings looked good and should impress some people this season. Warren has a great ball club and will do the same. Although the Vikings dont play Warren in the regular season this year, both teams will be in the DII Logan sectional...Rematch? Perhaps! I would love to see these two teams play once the rust is gone and theres a bit more on the line!! Just may get my wish at the end of the year! Warren had a great crowd for traveling an hour to watch a preseason game...Congrats to the Vikings and good luck to Warren this season in the Seoal!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I didnt get to see either scrimmage, but i got a little info on the Peake, South Webster scrimmage......... I beleive the score of one quarter 20something to 2. But i also heard they played really well at the other scrimmage also!

Jim Mora
Freshman Team

Post by Jim Mora »

Sleeper team.. West Union

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Schedule for ZT Tip-Off Classic, which I thought someone said they needed:

Dec 4 4:45 Piketon vs Hillsboro
6:15 Zane Trace vs Bloom Carroll
8:00 Waverly vs Logan Elm

Dec 5 1:00 ZT Girls vs. Alexander
2:45 Circleville vs Alexander
4:30 Westfall vs Greenfield
6:15 Grandview vs West Union
8:00 Valley vs Washington CH

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... just finished reading through ALL of Mattash's threads for the various leagues around Southern/Southeastern Ohio - have to say I'm impressed with the overall "content" on the basketball forum this season ... folks are giving some very good overviews of teams/players Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - "great stuff guys and gals" ... my hope is that with the addition of posters from the slumping huddle site to those "traditionally" knowledgeable gurus regularly on SEOPs the 2009-2010 Hoops season should be the best yet both on the court and on this site ...

... looking forward to throwing out my "1 cent" worth every week as we make our way down the Road to the Convo ... tip off is next Friday night ... pop corn, hot dogs, lots of napkins and a coke on the side - that's all I need lol ...

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

Once again pfloyd is smackin' dat azz.........Can't wait to hear " as pfloyd says at southeast ohio preps...here we are at the convo and it's basketball 30".

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

good to hear you pfloyd.wjen the chairman of the basketball board (pfloyd)says chilli is 7th in the preseason i would yell at that but,ill just nod and walk away.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... cavalierfan95 - LOL ... much respect from this high school hoops fan for those Cavs in Chilli ...Coach Kellough and his staff do an outstanding job with their kids ... imo at this early stage, I feel that the Cavs will take "some games" to find themselves as a TEAM - that's the biggest reason for the Blue and White starting at the 7 spot on the Elite 8 ... as you well know it "ain't" where a team starts it's where they finish AND more important - what an old, bald, high school hoops fan with an Ouija Board posts DOESN'T mean a heck of a lot when you really think about it lol - ALTHOUGH I do like to think I know what I'm talking/posting about at least 50% of the time LOL ...

... best of luck to the Cavs on the hardwood this season - look forward to seeing your boyz sooner than later in my rounds of Southern/Southeastern Ohio this winter ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... based on information from the Preseason gurus, having seen some of the teams in scrimmages, yada yada yada I adjusted the Treehugger and End Table teams, they now have "starting" positions as we enter the "first week of hoops action" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ( that felt soooooooo good to type lol ) ...

Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio

1. Wheelersburg
2. Warren
3. Peake
4. Logan Elm
5. Zane Trace
6. Piketon
7. Chillicothe
8. Peebles

TreeHugger Wannabee's

Waverly
Vinton Co
Hillsboro
Oak Hill
Ironton
Logan
Athens
Belpre
Southern
South Point
Marietta
Washington Court House
Reedsville Eastern
Lucasville Valley
Greenfield McClain
North Adams
Fairland
Symmes Valley
Circleville
Fairfield Union
Manchester
Federal Hocking

Teams on the End Table

Huntington
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Alexander
Trimble
Western Pike
Northwest
Coal Grove
Portsmouth Clay
South Gallia

... nothing but the best to all of the schools, teams, players, coaches and fans Below the Line this season ... let's make the 2009-10 campaign the best yet as we make our way down the Road to the Convo 2010 ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

North Adams on respect and coaching alone should be mentioned somewhere...they gave Jackson the msot fits at the scrimmage..with teams like Peake and Zane Trace there

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 - they have been added - my fault on that one , NA WAS included originally but in copying the list over and putting them in "order" I left them off the 2nd list - they are back on - thanks of keeping me honest 92 ... "we are finally in THE week" - this week begins hoops Below the Line in earnest ... gotta love it !!!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Big game for Symmes Valley vs. Oak Hill to start the season.

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

Just watched Hillsboro and Zane Trace play one heck of a charity game. I would have thought it was a regular season game. Zane Trace was ahead 44-31 late in the third. But Hillsboro led by a very enthusiastic group of kids and coach Tim Davis fought back and sent the game into overtime with a buzzer beating 3 pointer. But the Pioneers salted it away down the stretch to win 66-64.

What a game. I took 5 bucks and and can of soup for the Red Cross donation. The Maxwell kid probably had 30 points.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks for the recap kickinurz ... Zane Trace and Hillsboro are right there when we talk about the expected top teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... looking forward to the Friday matchup between Piketon and Hillsboro on a neutral court (Zane Trace Tip Off Classic) , follow that up with Zane Trace vs Bloom Carroll from the MSL , ending Friday night's action with Logan Elm vs Waverly in the night cap ... a great first night of basketball - hope ZT is stocked up on napkins - should be all kinds of "napkin stats" in the opening evening of action ...

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

Pfloyd, I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your Elite 8. The Cavs from Chillicothe will have their hands full against Xenia this weekend but I look for them to have success later in the season. Last weekend they played at the Hoop in Columbus against the states best. They were 2-2 up there beating a team like Akron St. Vincent St. Mary. It was only a ten minute quarter but anytime you can matchup against the Irish you know you're headed in the right direction. They also played Dayton Jefferson and the kid that just committed to Michigan St. Over the years the Cavs have tried to play a tough schedule which relates into tournament success. They play against Canton Timken this year at the Schott. Thanks again Pfloyd and no matter how the season starts the Cavs will be there late in the season.. Go Cavs!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... baller3 , thanks - I hope that when you read my posts on the Elite 8 that the passion I have for hoops and the admiration I have for ALL of the student athletes that play the game comes thru ... your Cavs have no worries when it comes to the Elite 8 - Coach Kellough's boyz WILL be right there at/near the top when the season winds down ( "the cream ALWAYS rises to the top" is proven year in and year out on the hardwood) ... imo the early part of the season WILL BE one when the Cavs will FIND where all of the "pieces fit" - Coach K finding WHO needs to be on the floor and When ... the players will fall into the ROLES that will bring them together as a TEAM ... you are absolutely right b3 - by season's end the tough preseason scrimmages, the challenging regular season schedule WILL have the Cavs as one of the premier TEAMS Below the Line ...

fhs_shl11
Freshman Team

Post by fhs_shl11 »

Kickinurz wrote:Just watched Hillsboro and Zane Trace play one heck of a charity game. I would have thought it was a regular season game. Zane Trace was ahead 44-31 late in the third. But Hillsboro led by a very enthusiastic group of kids and coach Tim Davis fought back and sent the game into overtime with a buzzer beating 3 pointer. But the Pioneers salted it away down the stretch to win 66-64.

What a game. I took 5 bucks and and can of soup for the Red Cross donation. The Maxwell kid probably had 30 points.

Kickinurz....Who led points for Hillsboro??

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

I think the Turner kid had 18 points. Hit a few 3's.

fhs_shl11
Freshman Team

Post by fhs_shl11 »

That isnt surpirsing...he is the center of that team for sure.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”