Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by Ironman92 »

#20 is Newsome

about 29 ppg thus far...and 10 rb per

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I figured it was him,we sit up in the rafters,so its hard to hear the announcer with the names sometimes

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Ironton 70
Warren Local 57

Chillicothe 47
Marietta 37

Athens 53
Vinton County 51

South Point 77
River Valley 36

Meigs Eastern 69
Meigs 33

Symmes Valley?
Rock Hill ?

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Pfloyd, tonights game, at Vinton County is sure gonna rearrange your elite 8. Big question is does this put 2 TVC teams in, drop the one out, or swap places??? Whatever you choose, its nights like this that make your posts worth reading.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Pfloyd...Need Ironton-Warren Local and Chillicothe-Marietta reserve scores. thanks.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd won't put a TVC team in the top 8 until they reach 9-0, or maybe even 10-0 ... The Athens (5-1) loss @ Jackson kind of hurts them at this point - how can you put Athens in if you don't have the Ironmen?

Watching Athens beat VC Tuesday (53-51) was for sure impressive - but there was no gauge to quantify the win no matter who came out on top ... If VC won, they may have sniffed the top 8 with an undefeated record ... Since Athens won - it only hurts both ... most folks don't give the TVC any credit ... but that game Tuesday @ VC was a tough, well played and well executed contest between two really good teams ... both of their defenses were stout, which ended up underminding both teams' offenses, which are actually really good too ... Floyd needs to look at "out-of-conference wins" and so far, the TVC is doing pretty good - but not great.

VINTON COUNTY IS 3-0 versus the 'outsiders' with wins over Paint Valley (79-54), John Glenn (51-38), Trimble (77-66) - and they have beaten Belpre who is a very solid team.

ATHENS is only 2-1 against those outside the TVC ... Wins over Gallia Academy (56-31) and Morgan (59-54) - plus the loss @ Jackson (who is pretty good) (70-44) ... The 26-point loss is a little misleading, but none the less, Jackson proved to be a better team that night.

EASTERN is the most successful TVC team thus far in the 'big scope' of things ... They are (6-0) and have won 3 games outside the Hocking ... (74-27) over South Gallia; (50-36) over Huntington Chillicothe @ at the Convo; (69-33) over Meigs ...
The scores are what is eye catching when it comes to the Eagles ... Here are their six games:
65-26
74-27
60-49
50-36
67-11 !!
69-33
______

385 -to- 182 (Wow!) ... Or ... 64.2 Pts per game offensively: 30.3 pts per game defensively ... that's impressive - only one team has managed to score over 40 and that was Trimble (in Glouster).

A REAL TEST FOR THE TVC COMES DECEMBER 29TH on The Plains in McAfee Gymnasium ... (6-0) Eastern Versus (5-1) Athens! The winner of that game next week should automatically recieve a TOP 8 RANKING from Floyd.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Just looking at schedules, Piketon does have a tough schedule but IMO, L.E., Waverly, Chillicothe, and Zanesville all play tougher schedules out of conference. If you include conference then there are probably several more depending on how you rate the leagues.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93Bulldog!!! look at the Elite 8 list again - you're telling me that you don't see Vinton County in the 6 spot?????? VC =TVC !!!! ... as far as Athens and Eastern ? ... you know I just watched the Athens boyz go into Vinton Co and beat the Vikings by 2 points ...the dawgs led, controlled the tempo of that one from start to finish ( only losing the lead for 2 possessions in the 4th quarter) ... is the "W" enough to JUMP them into the Elite 8 ??? ... Reedsville Eastern IS playing some great D - as you pointed out - I AM a sucker for solid , fundamental defense ... I've always been a fan of Coach Caldwell - one of those coaches that gets "everything" out of his teams - this year appears to be no different ... I WILL be making the trip down Rte. 33 on the 29th to see Athens and Eastern tangle - should be a great game no matter in which Cheap Seats - visitors or home side - you are sitting ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Datchillicav...keep in mind Piketon is D-3, I believe all the others are D1 or D2...look I'm not saying Piketon has THE toughest schedule...I'm saying Piketon has a a non-league schedule that's as tough as anyones in southeastern Ohio.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Well next weeks top 8 should be interesting, will Ironton move up into the top 8 after knocking off three of the current top teams???? Hmmm..........looking forward to the next top 8 list.

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

Coach Kelley,

I know for myself i am not disputing the fact that Piketon has a tough non league schedule. You just asked the question. Tell me, who has that tough of a non league schedule? So we answered with some teams that have pretty tough non league schedules of their own.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Pdracing...I understand...I shouldve posted the statement differently than I did. Nonetheless, it only matters what happens inside the lines! Who can't love high school basketball?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... correct me if I'm wrong BUT the last game(s) this week are scheduled for tonight, the only one I have written down is

Hillsboro
Greenfield McClain

... if there are any others please post them ... I should be able to do an updated Elite 8 in this abbreviated week by Saturday ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote:... correct me if I'm wrong BUT the last game(s) this week are scheduled for tonight, the only one I have written down is

Hillsboro
Greenfield McClain

... if there are any others please post them ... I should be able to do an updated Elite 8 in this abbreviated week by Saturday ...

saturday?..that long? :mrgreen: you do a great job on this,I love reading it,and everyones opinion after you put it up.

thanks for doing it

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

Good news for Zane Trace fans. Talked to one of the players this evening and Gabe Haynes has been cleared to play. He did practice I was told. I guess his coaches are keeping him in check for a little while though.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... biggdowgg - you are more than welcome ... all of the mods here on SEOPs have been great in putting this thread out in front of the hoops fans on this sight - it's greatly appreciated by my committee of one - me ... we have some very supportive fans for their respective schools and teams , as well as many, many knowledgeable posters who make some great observations while giving us informative input on the teams we all enjoy watching Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... besides that biggdowgg I enjoy the game of high school basketball ! seeing outstanding individual players meshing with outstanding role players to form outstanding TEAMS ... getting the opportunity to watch the coaching "gurus" who DO have a clue of how the game of basketball should be played , the coaches who have a system based on fundamentals, the coaches who have physically talented players that THEY take to the next level by NOT letting these players get by on their talent alone - they take them to the next level by demanding solid fundamentals ... these are the coaches/TEAMS that we all enjoy watching the most ..... while there are those coaches who try to slide by on the physical abilities of the players only ; thinking - incorrectly- that player talent alone will get "W's" - these are the coaches who never figure "IT" out ... but for those who have and do know what "IT" is - when these COACHES mesh with the INDIVIDUAL talent THAT"S WHEN those of us in the Cheap Seats are rewarded with the fine hoops that can be played in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... THAT'S why we all love this game of high school basketball ... so biggdowgg it is I who thank you, and the other moderators for allowing me to share high school basketball from my PFLOYD "perspective" every week with the Elite 8 ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... kickinurz ... that's great news ! I was at Zane Trace on opening night to see the injury to Gabe Haynes ... the pressure in the SVC just went up a notch with Haynes coming back for ZT ... good news for all us who watch from the Cheap Seats ... we'll be checking the box scores to see how his return does in adding to the ZT attack ... best of luck to the young man - Gabe Haynes ...

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

Yeah he's a great kid. Problem is I gotta stand on the wall cause I can't lose with these two teams . Just wanna see a good game. Logan Elm hosts ZT Tuesday night.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... wow! Tuesday the 29th has a great Menu of games :

Logan Elm vs Zane Trace

Logan vs Warren

Athens vs Reedsville Eastern

Portsmouth vs Marietta

Jackson vs Ironton

... to name a few ... wonder what is happening on the River with the SOC next Tuesday night ??? or UP the River in the OVC? if anyone has a "menu of games for next Tuesday night in either or both of these leagues ...please help us out ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth has a chance to pick up 3 league games in a row,as Marietta comes to town...should be a great game

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”