Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Indian Fanatic
Riding the Bench

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Post by Indian Fanatic »

The S.H.L also has five teams moving on to the District Semifinals...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... It's time ... have never met the man personally BUT I have sat in the Cheap Seats at the Convo every year for the last ? years hearing Lou Horvath ring in the official 3 Weeks of the Convo with "here at the Convo , you don't need a clock ... it's basketball thirty !!! " ... "Basketball Thirty" is now iconic in the basketball lore of Southeastern Ohio ... it's what ALL schools Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line have as a goal in the preseason ... it is a goal that ALL teams Below the Line have in their sights as teams take to the hardwood that first regular season weekend in December ... it's THE goal as teams "Begin the Road to the Convo" in sectional play all across Southern/Southeastern Ohio as the regular season comes to a close and the "survive and advance" season begins ... it's here ... all of the invitations have been extended to those teams that have in fact survived AND advanced to begin district play in A'town ... "Basketball Thirty" - Lou , SEO high school basketball in the post season , survive and advance ... pfloyd is smiling ...

... game one to tip things off Friday night has Coach Doug Stiverson's Logan Elm Braves in a rematch of the first weekend of hoops at the Zane Trace Tip Off Classic with the Waverly Tigers ... in the first get together LE put the defensive clamps on WHS beating the Tigers 55-38 ... LE's goal for every game defensively was/is to hold opponents to 50 points or less - goal accomplished ... the Braves defensively held the Waverly offensive duo of Jake Kretzer and Harrison Martin to 10/11 points respectively ... can LE duplicate the defensive performance on Kretzer/Martin? in the Tigers lone performance at the Convo this year (vs the Peake) Kretzer scored 24 and Martin put up 25 points ... the Braves hope that the difference in scoring was the CHS defense and not that the boyz from WHS just like the OU court LOL ... since that first meeting LE's "last" Blake (Adam) has found comfort on the perimeter shooting the rock as the Braves continue to be a balanced offensive squad - no "take over the show" offensive player - but 3- 4 players who can all put up double digit numbers offensively - Cory Whaley, Tyler Pritchard, Adam Blake, Logan Hauserman ... the size of Hauserman at times inside HAS dominated the lane offensively for LE , don't be surprised to see Coach Stiverson exploit the "wide body" factor at times vs Waverly ... Waverly has the revenge factor going for them - as LE "popped" the Waverly balloon in the first game of the season , showed them that it takes more than "chest pounding" hype to get Ws- actions speak louder than words ... Waverly has gotten closer to the HYPED team in the preseason polls ... are they in the "class" of the Braves? that's why we play the game ... lots of surprises so far with top regular season teams getting knocked off in sectional play ... I've had Logan Elm at the "one spot" for a reason - they ARE the best TEAM I have seen in Southern Ohio all season ... I like the Braves experience , the emphasis on defense ( the 50 point rule) , the "Blake" factor and the Coach Stiverson game preparation edge to put a "W" in the Logan Elm corner ...

... game 2 ... Warren vs Washington Court House ... Court House is a team that I didn't get to personally see in the regular season ... from my knowledge of Warren Local and "reading" information about the Lions of WCH I rate this one a toss up ... a lot will depend on how "physical" the officials let Coach Maddox's boys play ... if the game has to be played "hands free" I give the edge to Washington CH, IF on the other hand the boys get a little freedom to "body up" my money is on Warren Local to advance to the final vs the LE/Waverly winner ... I'm going with the Blue of Warren- Fivecoait/Cunningham/Venham/Ellenwood/Lang/Knost & Co. to "Survive and Advance" in the night cap ...

... take it away Lou ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... I hope you will be taking in the Saturday evening games ... THE T.V.C. vs The S.O.C ... The 'BURG Vs BELPRE ... Neither team was the dominant squad in their respective conferences, but both have talent galore up & down the roster (especially in the starting five) ... Everyone seems to be picking Wheelersburg in a blow-out - but don't underestimate the Golden Eagles ... I think you & I have seen enough games at the Convo to understand that inside that wide open arena, where the floor seems like it's over 100 ft long, overall hoops talent and quickness can equalize or even push a team that doesn't look like 'world beaters' during the regular season into something else inside the Convocation center ... If I had a dollar for everytime a sub. 500 team makes a run throughout the District Tournament I would probably be rich right now.

Simms, Tate, Parsons - those kids can play basketball and I won't be surprised if Tate (a senior playing perhaps his last game) goes off and has maybe his best game of his career ... I may be wrong - but I'm definitly gonna be there to see it.

In the nightcap - We get to see a Blaine Gabriel led Spartans team take on 3 seed Eastern Brown ... Could be an intresting match-up and personally, I think Gabriel might be one of the most underated head hanchos in the area ... You seem to enjoy head coaching jobs as much as the players Floyd, watching Gabriel operate may not be as entertaining as lets say ol' Howie Caldwell - but he's still fun to watch.

Hopefully I can locate ya Saturday ... Your wife must have made you throw away that dusty old pink hat (or was it red at one time? lol) so finding you seems a little harder these days ... If she happens to tag along this year, I'll just look for fella in the cheap seats with the only sidekick that has her head down knitting a sweater as opposed to taking in the action.

lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 2 hours and 35 minutes until Basketball Thirty Tip Off !!! ... the "pfloyd beast" is gassed up and ready to head down Rt. 33 ... got the loan approved for concessions, life is good!!! ... best of luck to all four teams tonight kicking off the 3 Weeks of the Convo ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog!!! no problems in finding pfloyd - the ONLY hoops fan wearing a "Pfloyd 2009-10 Tour" T-shirt would be yours truly ... the front is adorned by none other than a chorus line of ...... wait for it ......... the world famous dancing Purple Hippo!!! ...lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

lol ... Better be careful Floyd ... I'm thinking about putting a bullet through that fat, purple belly dancer lookin thing ... Better yet, I may just bring my Bulldog 'Buster' to the Convo - he's been trained to attack any purple hippo's that may be sniffin around A-town!

BUT ... I MUST SAY, FINDING A DANCING HIPPO IN THE CONVO SATURDAY WILL PROBABLY BE EASY SEEING AS THE AREA WILL BE ENGULFED IN ORANGE FOR THE EARLY GAME ... BOTH BELPRE & THE BURG SEEM TO LOVE THEIR ORANGE FOR SOME ODD REASON, SO I'LL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR YOUR GOOFY LOGO TOMORROW ...

BTW ... http://trivalleyconference.com/ has been re-designed a little ... check it out Floyd and offer some insight - what more needs to be added .... .... ... Uh .... besides any purple hippos ... don't need any of those buddy.
As far as stats are concerned - I couldn't get coaches cooperation like I did in football

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

Looking at Pfloyds Elite 8 Final Pick I see he has 6 of those 8 still alive for a 75% avg, which I would take that % to vegas.
(1) Logan Elm
(2) Peebles
(4) Ironton
(6) Zane Trace
(7) Reedsville Eastern
(8) Warren

His other picks that are still in.
(9) Court House
(12) Chesapeake
(14) Waverly
(15) Piketon
(17) Eastern Brown
(18) South Webster
(26) Belpre
(27) Alex
(29) Southern
(33) Manchester
(34) Wheelersburg
(45) Nelsonville

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great opening night of Basketball Thiry at the Convo last night ... pfloyd was stunned and humbled when THE VOICE of high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line Lou Horvath made mention of "pfloyd" when opening the night with the FIRST "Basketball Thirty" of the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... AND THEN we were able to watch 2 great games of high school hoops between 4 very good basketball teams from around Southern Ohio - Logan Elm vs Waverly followed by Warren Local taking on Washington Court House ... all in DII action ... great stuff, outstanding games within games ... talented players, great coaches, supportive fans ... felt good to be "home" in the Cheap Seats of the Convo on opening night ...

... Game 1 ... we saw 2 different games within this opener ... both teams seemed to have trouble getting the offense started as the first field goal wasn't scored until Logan Hauserman of LE put in a short range basket at the 5:30 mark of the first quarter, Waverly didn't get their first bucket until 4:15 was left on the clock .. each team had numerous turnovers (LE 4/WHS 6) in the opening stanza ... Waverly 15 Logan Elm 13 after one ... the second quarter of action had the Tigers extending their lead mainly on the heels of poor all around shooting by the Braves ... both teams cut down on their TOs (LE 1, WHS 2) ... as a fan having seen LE play over the course of the season, as well as Waverly (3/2 times each) - I felt that Coach Stiverson's troops were in good shape - still within 2 possessions of the lead, AND having had a horrendous shooting first half from the field - the Tigers were in trouble even with the lead at intermission LE 22 Waverly 27 ... quarter number 3 was THE turning point ... Logan Elm turned up the defense AND the shots that weren't falling in the first 2 quarters were finding the bottom of the net ... Whaley, Pritchard and Adam Blake took care of the offensive effort putting up 18 points while TEAM LE defensively took Waverly completely out of their game offensively, a total WHS disappearance - Kretzer/Martin were the only scorers in the 3rd totaling but 7 points ... Kretzer was totally frustrated by the defensive effort of Jake Thomas (3 points in the entire 2nd half for the 6-5 swing man for the Tigers) ... I told fellow seopster 2old that "first team to 50 wins" LOL - knowing the defensive goals for LE - seeing that the Braves were in sync offensively , this one was over for all intents and purposes half way through the 3rd ... LE 40 Waverly 34 after three ... the 4th period was even more tightening of the defensive screws by Logan Elm as the Tigers had but on man score - Harrison Martin in the 4th (6 points) while the Braves controlled the tempo, the ball , sank 8 of 11 FTs to go with bookend field goals by Logan Hauserman ... game, set and match to Logan Elm 52 Waverly 40 a final ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Harrison Martin 22, Jake Kretzer 10, Derek Roback 6, Devin Kelly 2

3-Pointers ... 2/10 ... Kretzer 2

FT's ... 4/4

TO's ... 13

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Logan Elm

Scoring ... Adam Blake 20, Logan Hauserman 13, Tyler Pritchard 11, Cory Whaley 6, Jake Thomas 2

3 Pointers ... 5/14 ... Adam Blake 3, Cory Whaley 2

FT's ... 15/23 on the game ... 8/11 in the 4th quarter

TOs ... 10

Defensive Points Allowed in the 3rd/4th quarters ... 3rd (7 points) ... 4th (6 pts) ... pfloyd's POG was LE's #3 Jake Thomas for his "give it all up for defense" on Jake Kretzer ... held Kretzer to 10 points for the game, 3 for the second half, Thomas was THE "game changer" in this one ... totally took away the Waverly offensive flow in the second half, caused big time frustration in the play of the Waverly players ... Pfloyd's Player of the Game - Jake Thomas of Logan Elm ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... on a side note ... it was a pleasure to meet up with some of the SEOPs folks during the games last night ... met soccerfix for the first time as he venture into the cheap seats and introduced himself to old pfloyd ... 2old found me and bent my ear for both games , I made it to the press table to welcome Tom Metter back from his recent health issues - Tom I meant it when I said the games at the Convo would not be the same without seeing you sitting on press row my friend, besides it is always great to gather in your informative pre-game stat sheets on the teams play each night - thanks ... always good to see Coach Skinner of Athens (Pfloyd's pick for Coach of the Year in Southern Ohio for 2010-11), ran into ex Logan mentor Coach Gary Swinehart taking in the action ... great people all ... part of what makes attending games at the Convo so special the people who support student athletes all season make their way to the Convo to continue their support for ALL student athletes Below the Line ... and I as posted on my previous entry above - ALL of us - fans, coaches, students alike make our way to the Convo every year to hear THE VOICE of high school hoops Below the Line - Lou Horvath and "Basketball Thirty" ... great job as always Lou ... some day I'll be allowed down on the floor of the Convo to shake your hand and thank you for making the "survive and advance" season in Southern Ohio so special to so many ...

... 2 more big games tonight on the Convo Menu ... Belpre vs Wheelersburg , Alexander vs Eastern Brown ... see everyone in the Cheap Seats for Day 2 of the Three Weeks of the Convo ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thought I'd move this recap to the 3rd page ...

... great opening night of Basketball Thirty at the Convo last night ... pfloyd was stunned and humbled when THE VOICE of high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line Lou Horvath made mention of "pfloyd" when opening the night with the FIRST "Basketball Thirty" of the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... AND THEN we were able to watch 2 great games of high school hoops between 4 very good basketball teams from around Southern Ohio - Logan Elm vs Waverly followed by Warren Local taking on Washington Court House ... all in DII action ... great stuff, outstanding games within games ... talented players, great coaches, supportive fans ... felt good to be "home" in the Cheap Seats of the Convo on opening night ...

... Game 1 ... we saw 2 different games within this opener ... both teams seemed to have trouble getting the offense started as the first field goal wasn't scored until Logan Hauserman of LE put in a short range basket at the 5:30 mark of the first quarter, Waverly didn't get their first bucket until 4:15 was left on the clock .. each team had numerous turnovers (LE 4/WHS 6) in the opening stanza ... Waverly 15 Logan Elm 13 after one ... the second quarter of action had the Tigers extending their lead mainly on the heels of poor all around shooting by the Braves ... both teams cut down on their TOs (LE 1, WHS 2) ... as a fan having seen LE play over the course of the season, as well as Waverly (3/2 times each) - I felt that Coach Stiverson's troops were in good shape - still within 2 possessions of the lead, AND having had a horrendous shooting first half from the field - the Tigers were in trouble even with the lead at intermission LE 22 Waverly 27 ... quarter number 3 was THE turning point ... Logan Elm turned up the defense AND the shots that weren't falling in the first 2 quarters were finding the bottom of the net ... Whaley, Pritchard and Adam Blake took care of the offensive effort putting up 18 points while TEAM LE defensively took Waverly completely out of their game offensively, a total WHS disappearance - Kretzer/Martin were the only scorers in the 3rd totaling but 7 points ... Kretzer was totally frustrated by the defensive effort of Jake Thomas (3 points in the entire 2nd half for the 6-5 swing man for the Tigers) ... I told fellow seopster 2old that "first team to 50 wins" LOL - knowing the defensive goals for LE - seeing that the Braves were in sync offensively , this one was over for all intents and purposes half way through the 3rd ... LE 40 Waverly 34 after three ... the 4th period was even more tightening of the defensive screws by Logan Elm as the Tigers had but on man score - Harrison Martin in the 4th (6 points) while the Braves controlled the tempo, the ball , sank 8 of 11 FTs to go with bookend field goals by Logan Hauserman ... game, set and match to Logan Elm 52 Waverly 40 a final ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Harrison Martin 22, Jake Kretzer 10, Derek Roback 6, Devin Kelly 2

3-Pointers ... 2/10 ... Kretzer 2

FT's ... 4/4

TO's ... 13

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Logan Elm

Scoring ... Adam Blake 20, Logan Hauserman 13, Tyler Pritchard 11, Cory Whaley 6, Jake Thomas 2

3 Pointers ... 5/14 ... Adam Blake 3, Cory Whaley 2

FT's ... 15/23 on the game ... 8/11 in the 4th quarter

TOs ... 10

Defensive Points Allowed in the 3rd/4th quarters ... 3rd (7 points) ... 4th (6 pts) ... pfloyd's POG was LE's #3 Jake Thomas for his "give it all up for defense" on Jake Kretzer ... held Kretzer to 10 points for the game, 3 for the second half, Thomas was THE "game changer" in this one ... totally took away the Waverly offensive flow in the second half, caused big time frustration in the play of the Waverly players ... Pfloyd's Player of the Game - Jake Thomas of Logan Elm ...

shag
Waterboy

Post by shag »

Peebles now 19-1 and they are among the top 5 in southern/southeast

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

shag wrote:Peebles now 19-1 and they are among the top 5 in southern/southeast

They are 21-1
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FLOYD ... LOOKED FOR THE HIPPO LAST NIGHT AND COULDN'T FIND IT ... YOU MUST HAVE 'CHICKENED OUT' WEARING ANY PURPLE PAST THE ATHENS COUNTY LINE EH?

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Sounds like a great night at the convo. I havent been back for years but my heart was in A-town

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... another enjoyable night of hoops in the Cheap Seats at the Convo ... taking the lid off the action was Zane Trace vs Northwest ... tight game throughout as ZT took a couple of 6+ point leads only to have Hank Leslie prove to be almost unstoppable in the paint putting the Mohawks on his shoulders bringing them back to take a two point advantage at the 1:51 mark of the 4th quarter ... not enough Leslie as Kirk Maxwell evened things up for the Pioneers on their own possession followed by what I felt was THE KEY POSSESSION of the game - score knotted at 43 ... Northwest went again into Leslie in the paint - all game Leslie was being guarded by Chamberlin and Tripp - this time down Leslie found himself going up against Maxwell ... too much strength for Leslie to get into the paint, settled for an off balance shot from 5-8 feet - miss ... Maxwell with the board ... Zane Trace took back the advantage in the possession game ... Zane Trace went on to "survive and advance" 52-48 ZT final ...

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Northwest ...

Scoring ... Hank Leslie 29, Kreig Crabtree 9, Kenny Crabtree 4, Jeremy Blankenship 3, Chase Hall 2, Luke Brown 1

3 Pointers ... 3/9 ... Kreig Crabtree 2, Jeremy Blankenship 1

FTs ... 11/17

TO's ... only 6

... well played game by the Mohawks ... Leslie & Co. missed quite a few inside shots early in this one , could have made a difference had they found the bottom of the net ... Leslie is a nice ball player, with good post moves down low for NW ...

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Zane Trace ...

Scoring ... Kirk Maxwell 20, Gabe Haynes 11, Drew Davis 11, Dallas Cochenour 5, Rick Chamberlin 2, Colton Whitehouse 1
3-Pointers ... 3/14 ... Maxwell 2, Davis 1

FTs ... 17/24 ... 12/17 down the stretch in the 4th period

TOs ... 6

... my hat goes off to both teams on a well played contest ... each team only giving up 6 TOs a piece for the game ... again the key plays of the game were by the ZT player of the game Kirk Maxwell - THE key "answer" basket to tie the game after NW tied it up followed by THE defensive stop on Leslie when the Mohawks seemed to have ZTs number in the paint with Leslie ... great game to watch from the Cheap Seats tonight ... best of luck to ZT vs Chesapeake next weekend ...

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

pfloyd I was a first time visitor to Millstone BBQ in your neck of the woods yesterday. Excellent food and atmosphere...Hats off to those folks. Good to see ya there while I was chompin' down on some Ribs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the night cap had a mismatch between a very solid, well balanced Chesapeake squad of Coach Davis vs an outmanned Piketon Red Streaks group of Coach Lisath ... this one was over early as the inside presence of the Panthers was just too much for Piketon to overcome ... Copley, McMaster, Saunders, Kennedy - too big, strong and talented in this one ... the quarter breaks ... Peake 12 PHS 8 after one, Peake 33 PHS 22 at intermission, Peake 52 PHS 33 after three, Peake 73 Piketon 46 a final ...

... my committee of one - me - left with 4+ minutes to go in this one so all of my napkin stats are incomplete but you get an idea how Coach Davis' boyz dominated in this one ...

Incomplete Napkin Stats - Piketon

Scoring ... Evan Legg 14, Buckler 7, Helton 6, Lewis 4, Braniff 2, Brush 2 ... 9 more PHS points were scored after I left the Convo ...

3 Pointers ... 2/5 ... Helton 2

FTs ... 5/6

TOs ... 20 ...

Incomplete Napkin Stats - Chesapeake

Scoring ... Austin McMaster 24, Copley 11, Saunders 14, Kennedy 8, Peter Hintz 5 ... 11 more points scored by the Peake ... great balance by the big people for the Peake ...

3 Pointers ... 3/8 ... McMaster 2, Copley 1

FTs ... 7/11 (I'm sure the peake went to the line more after I left)

TOs ... 15

... great game by the Peake in this , exploited the Piketon lack of size down low in this one while showcasing their own balance, size, strength down low with McMaster, Kennedy, Saunders and Copley controlling the boards ... best of luck to the Purple and White vs Zane Trace next weekend ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Main Man - nice job by the ZT boyz tonight - going to have your hands full vs the Peake this coming weekend - look forward to seeing this matchup ... good to run into you and the OTHER ZT folks at the Millstone Saturday as well ! ... the Millstone BBQ people always treat you right - good folks ... see you next weekend !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good to meet Sports 101 in the stands tonight, along with Alabama Mike , Sportfolio in his usual press row location ... looking forward to getting my first look at Lucasville Valley tomorrow night vs a very good Peebles ball club ... Ironton the winner of the SEOAL crown will take its game to Nelsonville York of the TVC in the Monday nightcap ... looking forward to catching up with more SEOPs folks this coming week in the Cheap Seats ...

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

this was a great game ,, nw vs zt not quite sure why #24 didnt get the ball more down the stretch, best post player ive seen in sometime. how about the 2 no charge calls by hardy. no doubt these are tough calls but this didnt cost the game for anyone,, it was the missed 5 foot baskets by nw early and #24 not shooting another 10 + times the 2nd half. zt is a very good team and i think they will beat the peak by 15+ #22 will handle 55 for peak but peak has NO ONE that can stop #30 for zt copley cant hes just not strong enough,, but the pg for peak will give zt fits as he is alot quicker than #3 for zt peak will have to or should go a zone and hope they dont get hot from 3 or go triangle and 2 and guard 3 and 30 ,,

#30 had to be a linebacker or fullback for zt ? one of the strongest bball players ive seen and very quick for his size.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”