Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 16th

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

some of you guys sure get worked up over one man's opinion. if you don't like his picks make your own list and see how many arguments you can get from it. in the long run it all plays out on the floor in the form of league, sectional, district, regional, and on a rare occasion a state championship.
maybe someone needs to start a fantasy high school league to really get the juices flowing.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I certainly don't mind being second guessed on my picks ... I see the teams thru my bifocals from waaaay up in the cheap seats ... the players, the teams, the game obviously looks different to each of us - no problem , it's all good in my book ... as long as someone is willing to back up their opine with stats, facts, information, a $20 bill ... I never expect the Elite 8, the Treehugger Wannabees, Teams on the End Table to be the end all list ... heck my version of the Elite 8 came about when I myself saw teams stacked in a different lineup than another huddler ... some may remember that I tried to sneak in the Morgan Raiders, Zanesville and others into Southeast Ohio hoops ... if everyone agreed with my list there wouldn't be much in the way discussion ... just seeing the "hit" numbers on each of the Weekly threads gives me reason to smile ...

...post on ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

SVC Standings:

Huntington 4-0 6-0
Adena 3-0 5-1
Piketon 3-1 4-2
Westfall 2-1 3-1
Paint Valley 1-3 1-4
Zane Trace 1-3 2-4
Unioto 1-3 1-6
Southeastern 0-4 1-7

Westfall and Adena will play a makeup game in January

SVC Preview for Friday:

Zane Trace @ Unioto
The Oh-so-Close Shermans finally broke through with an overtime win over a struggling Southeastern ball club. While, Zane Trace has gone through a very tough early season and has also struggled. This seems a lot like last year's matchup in Kinnikinnick, where ZT won in 2OT and just started their season. Both teams have some athletes and it's a rivalry game, so expect some fireworks.
Prediction: Unioto, 55-53

Paint Valley @ Piketon
Piketon is coming off of a huge win at the Dome, while PV has struggled it's last three outings. Piketon has an explosive offense and some exciting players and should coast to a win, at the Oven. But, PV does seem to play Piketon pretty close, so don't be surprised by a closer than it should be score.
Prediction: Piketon, 72-55

Adena @ Southeastern
Southeastern is struggling, Adena is hitting it's stride. It seems like a pretty easy game to pick. Especially with Adena looking for revenge from last season. Kyle Prater needs to turn it up a notch for the Panthers to have a chance in this game. Southeastern is never an easy place to win, but if Adena wants to contend for the league title, they have to win games like this on the road.
Prediction: Adena, 60-48

Game Of The Week
Westfall @ Huntington
Westfall is an athletic bunch, who usually plays very well in the Hills, but Huntington is on a mission. I look for a high scoring game and a fun point guard matchup, between Bryant Gibson and Josh Kellough. Westfall did drop one at home, so any league hopes they have, will be on the line in this early season matchup.
Prediction: Huntington, 74-68

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

DC you and Pink Floyd do a wonderful job with your posts on here. I have read them for two years and finally joined. I think PF's Pink Hippo did something to me tho...I see that image in my sleep..scary causes me to have nightmares :-D :-D :-D :-D

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 1974Viking ... glad you joined ! ... and thank you for the kudos - it CAN BE a great way to find & give information ... voice your opinion while showing support for high school sports and the kids involved whether you know them or not ... welcome aboard ...

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

pfloyd, One thing I have noticed, is that sometimes the posters go a little left field on the facts sometimes when it comes to the truth. And they get a whole lot peeved off if they don't heard all good about their team all the time. I guess this forum would be a good training exercise to become a High School REf :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pink hippo....lol

TornadoMan25
Riding the Bench

Post by TornadoMan25 »

Southern beat the Eagles tonight 62-51. Great game Does. Keep up the hard work.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Federal Hocking 49 Waterford 47 @ Waterford.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Orestes wrote:Federal Hocking 49 Waterford 47 @ Waterford.

Quality win for the Lancers.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

North Adams 55
Whiteoak 50

WO had ball 3 different times at 53-50 and had an in and out from the baseline....a steal and 2 missed ft and another steal and a poor pass turnover

@ North Adams

jottings
SEOPS H

Portsmouth 86 Gallipolis 60

Post by jottings »

Varsity
Portsmouth 86 Gallipolis 60
Reserves
Gallipolis 57 Portsmouth 53
Freshmen
Gallipolis 41 Portsmouth 36

Pfloyd...Do you havfe any other reserve scores?

fhsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by fhsfan »

Pfloyd,

Fairland 75
Tolsia 62

Napkin stats for Fairland
Michael Lamb 25
Cole Hatfield 17
Zach Jordan 11
Dustin Bumgardner 7
Matt Bloomfield 7 - I think
Chris Ward - 7

These stats are according to what I remember seeing on the scoreboard toward the end of the game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Dragons keep rolling ... good looking ball club - Michael Lamb obviously is the "big" man offensively BUT as has been pointed out in previous Fairland threads Coach Belville has lots of depth, lots of contributors on the offensive end of the floor ... lots of interchangeable parts ... congratulations to the Fairland boyz on the W ... thanks fhs for the "napkin stats" ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

FRIDAY
Boys Basketball

SVC

Westfall 51
Huntington 73

Adena 66
Southeastern 49

Paint Valley 44
Piketon 83

Zane Trace 52
Unioto 57

SEOAL

Chillicothe 71
Jackson 26

Gallia Academy 60
Portsmouth 86

Logan 36
Zanesville 93

Athens 49
Warren 86

TVC

Alexander 38
Vinton County 57

SHL

Whiteoak 50
North Adams 55

Lynchburg Clay 66
West Union 72

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I believe only Huntington plays tonight in the SVC.

Huntington @ Western

Should be a fun ballgame. Western lost a lot from last year's Elite 8 team, but still returns a very solid nuclius of players. Zach Kier and Vince Shanks are both very good ballplayers and they should give Huntington a nice non league test. I see Huntington winning the ballgame and if they rebound like they did last night, they'll win by a sizeable margin.
Prediction: Huntington, 71-60

Review of last night's action:
Westfall really needs to work on the box out drills over the break. Huntington with 20 offensive rebounds and outrebounded the Mustangs by 30(47-17) You have to play a very good all around game to beat the Huntsmen this year and you can't have let downs like that...especially when you have the height advantage. The Kellough each went off for 20 plus in this game(Josh-27, Justin 21)

Somehow, Chillicothe didn't have the biggest halftime lead on Friday, they led Jackson 47-7 at the half..but, Piketon led Paint Valley 50-9 at the break. They only put up 26 in the 2nd half, so kudos to Coach Lisath on corralling his team a bit. I'm sure they didn't let up, but they probably turned through the offenses much more at that point. Jordan Brabson and Cody Smith continue to put up big scoring marks for the Redstreaks.

Adena rolls past Southeastern with a big 2nd quarter. 4 players in double figures in a big league matchup is huge. Clay Roll leads with 18, Buddy Barnes, Clay Ragland, and Collin Uhrig also all in double figures. Adena now sits at 4-0 in the league, not too bad for a team picked 6th in the coaches poll and a team who lost 5 starters from last year's team. SE continues to struggle, but look for them to knock off a couple of teams down the road, they do have the best coach in the league in Coach Jordan. Not a ton of talent, but they won't quit, thats for sure.

Unioto finally pulls it together for a big win over Zane Trace. ZT needs to go in the gym and just shoot for hours, they struggled big time from pretty much everywhere on the court. Matt Miller had 18 for the Pioneers and is a very good offensive player. The Shermans actually rebounded and knocked down their FT's for the most part. They were up by as many as 15(38-23) in the 3rd and then 2 minutes later, that lead was down to 5. I know many of the Sherman faithful were sweating at that point! Curtis Baker led the Shermans with 29 and was on fire to start the 2nd half, Joey Conley had a big night with 12 points, all but 2 in the 2nd half.

SVC Standings
Huntington 5-0, 7-0
Adena 4-0, 6-1
Piketon 4-1, 5-2
Westfall 2-2, 3-2
Unioto 2-3, 2-6
Paint Valley 1-4, 1-5
Zane Trace 1-4, 2-5
Southeastern 0-5, 1-8

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...daniC thanks for the usual great rundown of play from the SVC - sure helps us ALL to get to know those teams and kids ... greatly appreciated - your info, along with 618's info from the "Northwest Territory" help to make the SEOP site very informative for any hoops fan Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

We'll get the update here in the "Northwest" going tonight. 4-2 Logan Elm travels to undefeated Canal Winchester (I'll be taking this game in). 4-3 Circleville hosts 6-3 Fairfield Union also this evening.

BTW...On the Westfall-Huntington game.

Huntington - Josh Kellough 27 points; Justin Kellough 21 points and 13 boards.
Westfall - Bryant Gibson 17 points.

Huntington is a nice ballclub. Good uptempo game but disciplined at the same time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... lots of action on the Hoops Menu this evening ... looking for the results of the following games ... others from the river ... this will get us started ...

SCORES

SATURDAY
Boys Basketball

Non Conference
Chillicothe
Cincinnati North College Hill

Huntington
Western Latham

Vinton County
Southeastern

MSL
Logan Elm