Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason

Post by 93Bulldog »

Biggdowgg ... After the 'fumble-in-the-fog' (Gallia loss), getting beat by a freshman kicker in Jackson, and then having Austin Rohr run all over us (during the loss to Logan) in 2003 - I HAD TO GO AWOL man ... lol ... I couldn't take the disapointment and had to check myself into a psych ward for a few years ... But I did come back with a vengence and actually conquered the impossible last season - I made it through the entire district AND regional tournament without spending a single dime!!! :roll:

I tried sharing my secrets with Pfloyd last year - but he still insists on paying $5.00 for a box of popcorn ... I just chalk it up to 'him being from Logan' - those folks in purple never get anything ... I've learned to just live with it after so many years.

C-ya when the ground thaws and it's "basketball thirty" again at the Convo.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

:lol: .....

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Trojans have a tough road with 6 games against the pre-season Elite 2 with Ironton, Chilli, and Warren

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm happy to see that D2 is going to 8 teams at the Convo(thank you Fairland)

At Southeastern, Chillicothe, Waverly, Unioto, Jackson, Hillsboro, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Fairland, McClain, and Circleville and STILL 6 of those teams are going to go home real early in the postseason. Chillicothe is the only one I see getting through with ease(and Circleville had them on the ropes last year!) and the rest just being a battle to even get to the Convo, Waverly got there as a 7 seed last year. The D2 sectionals at Southeastern AND Logan should be great warmups for basketball thirty at the Convo.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

How about some schedules for the SVC teams, plus Waverly.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Mikepike- svcsportszone.com will have them up soon or maxpreps.com usually has them if schools have posted them. I'm away from my computer for now, but I'll see what I can get posted later on tonight.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly Schedule

Friday December 2 vs Washington Court House
Friday December 9 at Wheelersburg
Tuesday December 13 vs Ironton
Friday December 16 at Minford
Saturday December 17 at the Convo vs Warren 2:15p.m.
Tuesday December 20 vs West
Thursday December 29 vs Western in Holiday Classic
Friday December 30 Holiday Classic Piketon or Eastern
Friday January 6 at Oak Hill
Tuesday January 10 at South Webster
Friday January 13 vs Northwest
Saturday January 14 vs Athens at Chesapeake (Beast of the S.E.)
Tuesday January 17 at Valley
Friday January 20 vs Wheelersburg
Tuesday January 24 vs Minford
Friday January 27 at West
Tuesday January 31 vs Oak Hill
Friday February 3 vs South Webster
Friday February 10 at Northwest
Friday February 17 vs Valley

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC looked pretty good tonight in a tri scrimmage with Court House and Marietta. By far the smaller of the 3 teams but very quick.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LINE-UP FOR SHRINERS PREVIEW ...

http://trivalleyconference.com/

(It's going to be more of a 'daytime' event this season as opposed to stretching late into the evening.)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog ... thanks for the info on the Shriner's Event next week ... I know that MOST teams treat this event as just a 2 qtr., "I'm not going to show much to anyone" matchup BUT as a Cheap Seat guy one DOES get a chance to see the "talent"/athletic makeup of the teams, depth, size, defense taught, personally I look at the "fundamental factor" you can see in the TEAM ... and obviously you pick out the "go to" guys ... I'm psyched hoping that I can get there on the 25th ...

93dog ... I had a PET Scan on Thursday last week at the James at OSU - indicated I have possible cancer nodules in my right parotid gland in my face and a nodule in my lower left lung ... I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at Riverside in C'bus to set up biopsies of both ... keeping a positive attitude that both are benign ... hope to run into you next Friday in A'town, I'll fill you in on where things stand with my health ... keep your fingers crossed for me, mine are getting cramps from being crossed ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'll do more than keep my fingers crossed Floyd ... A few prayers outta do ... Hopefully things go good man!!!

About the preview: I completely agree, they may be 'scrimmages' but I still just like to get a good look at each team and the players ... Who is playing - who is not. Who got bigger - who looks faster. Etc...etc... But it can be tricky, pretty much every year I over hype on team and one team flies under the radar. I talked to Howie before last years preview game and he insisted they weren't going to be very good and that they had no size and their guard play was suspect ... lol ... and they didn't look good versus their opponent (Warren). But yet the Eagles finished 17-3 and made it to the Convo. I thought Wellston looked strong but the Golden Rockerts ended up at .500. Looks can be decieving; but I still love to go watch it every year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... going to try and get up Rt 33 in the morning, Sat. 11/19, to catch a look see at the Fairfield Union (Coach Brusco) vs Warren Local (Coach Maddox) ... a 10am get together of 2 of the better TEAMS Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... FU finished the regular season at 10-10 last season, look for FU to improve - pushing 15 "Ws" on the season in Coach Brusco's 2nd year as head man for the Falcons...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

What a great Turkey Holiday Week for hoops !!!! Weds/Fri/Saturday LHS scrimmages - getting to see 4 of the teams I will be ranking this season ... Friday late afternoon/evening the Shriner's Preview in A'town with TVC teams mixed with Warren Local out of the SEOAL ... I'm smiling, sharpening up the pencils and gathering up some napkins to take along as well ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... We still have the 'NO PURPLE ATTIRE' rule in place at McAfee Gymnasium ... So dress accordingly buddy ... Didn't want ya driving all the way to A-town only to get turned away at the door.

I know I am anxious to of course see my 'Dogs in action, but I'm also excited to see Warren and Vinton County Friday ... Getting to see the new Federal Howie's will be interesting as well.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I will be incognito Friday evening - don't pay any attention to the PURPLE Chuck Taylors LOL ... okay maybe I'll tone it down a little ... I'll leave the hippo wardrobe at home so I can sit on the A'town side of the gym ...

...93dog - I'll get to see the Fed Hock boyz of Coach Caldwell in the morning Friday as they will be scrimmaging the PURPLE boyz here in Logan at 10am ... might have to introduce myself to Coach Caldwell when they come calling Friday just to try to set things straight from the bs you have been filling him with about old Pfloyd LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We'll be sure to check shoes too Floyd ... Thanks for the heads up!

And you should definitly say hey to Coach Caldwell - he's made a refrence to reading your posts on more than one occasion ... But he's aware (just as I am) that you normally 'dis' the 'little guys' like Eastern and Federal Hocking ... So be cautious in your remarks ... lol ... he may throw a stomp or two your way.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

Pretty good list PFloyd. I dont have many gripes except the fact that Peebles beat a couple teams ranked ahead of them handly this offseason. Piketon has got some transfers since then so who knows how things will end up shanking out. I also think North Adams will be a little better than most think. They were very young last year and could contend for a sectional title if someone can step up and take the responsiblity of the scoring gap left by the graduation of Drew Dollich. I also expect Ironton to move into the top 2 or 3 at some point this year. Cant wait for the season to get underway!

Tribe, I think you are right about North Adams, I caught one of their scrimmages and they are going to be pretty good from what I watched. Do the Indians scrimmage today? I would like to catch one of theirs.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

PFloyd
I watch the piketon and chilli scrimmage and 1's vs 1's Piketon held their own.
Actually, I was more impressed with Piketon than Chilli due to what Piketon loss last season.
Scrimmage vs LE should give a good indication of where the streaks are this year.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Just got my report from the Piketon vs. Logan Elm scrimmage: Streaks play tough split 2-2 (1's vs 1's) and Logan Elm's bench goes 2-0 vs Piketon's bench. This is a good indicator the Streaks will play at a high level. Two players sat out for the Streaks today (one injury, and one waiting on OHSAA to approve the transfer). I'm told Logan Elm's defense was impressive...and Piketon's press was pretty impressive. I can't wait to see the "Young Streaks" this year...The roster shows one senior.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... grinder ... bengalfan76 ...Jimmy the Greek... thanks for the input on Peebles,North Adams, Piketon , Chillicothe, Logan Elm ... the Preseason rankings are just where I have posiitoned the TEAMS without seeing what each bring to the table prior to hitting the court ... there WILL BE some major moves by some of the teams in the first week or two (after we all get to see what each TEAM "really" has) ... hype/talk/what everyone has "on paper" is ALWAYS different when that first "TIP" is won or lost ... the more TEAMS I get to see the more reliable the ranks will be - I TRUST the committee of one - ME - to give accurate feed back on all of the teams it puts a visual on- the committee is a good judge of quality teams imo ...

... I made the trip up Rt.33/22 this morning to get a look at Warren Local and Fairfield Union ... BOTH TEAMS looked "mid season" form - talk about getting after it on the defensive end while putting offensive pressure on a defense offensively! WOW ... BOTH TEAMS are outstanding TEAMS "right now"!!... FU was without 2 starters BUT looked like an Elite 8 TEAM ... FU will be one of the teams that will break into the Elite 8 early on ... Coach Brusco brings the defensive mentality he taught at Logan Elm under Coach Stiverson to the Falcons- excellent ,fundamentally sound, hard nosed defense by every player that comes on the court ... good size/strength ... at least 4 legitimate 3 point shoots AND that is without 2 starters! - they will make it tough on any team to defend ... Sam Green, Chad Thomas, Zach Gordan, Derek Clark were all impressive today ... everything ran thru soph PG Jordan Barr - the young man is outstanding off the dribble, spotting up for the three ball or the mid range two ... he gets the ball to folks in the spots on the floor where they can do something positive with it as well ... I look for FU to get 15,16 wins on the season ...

... Coach Maddox's group look to improve on last years squad as well - they will definitely miss the big body of Grant Venham, Jon Mitchem, Austin Cunningham BUT the Blue look to be an excellent TEAM at both ends of the floor ... the addition of sophomores Evan French/Reece Patton will replace the scoring of Cunningham ... WHS look to have more perimeter weapons in Jeremy Hastie, Tyler Ward, Danny Pannell ... Josh Winland Reese Patton, French along with swing man Austin Henthorn all hit the boards ... I liked what I saw out of the 2011 edition of the Warriors ... strong, physical, quick, scoring inside/TRUE SCORING FROM THE PERIMETER will be the difference ...

... What a great scrimmage between 2 TEAMS who MAY meet down the road either in Sectional play in Logan or District action at the Convo. I sat on the Warrior bench listening to 2 outstanding teachers of the game for about 2 hours - Coach Brusco/Coach Maddox "get it" ... they earned their paychecks on every possession whether that was on D or O ... great stuff listening to both of these "COACHES/TEACHERS" of the game ...

...Best of luck to both of these great TEAMS ... looking forward to seeing them during the regular season ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”