Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
bman
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4

Post by bman »

Calling Southeastern "is a very good basketball team" is a stretch. They are a very young team that has some talent, including some raw talent, but will take their lumps this season. Piketon is the clear cut best team in the SVC. Upsets do happen from time to time in a conference where folks are familiar with you. Zane Trace comes next and then there is a big dropoff to the other five teams. Most of the other five teams have some strengths but also some big weaknesses.

Vinton County has a good basketball program and team, but there is obviously some things to work on after a close shave against a young ballclub. Most teams though aren't satisfied with where they are.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... while I have a "sit down minute" thought I would wish everyone on the SEOP site a Happy New Year !!! ... and thank ALL of the posters on the HS Hoops site for making THIS site THE best high school basketball forum around - very informative, ALL of the teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio are covered top to bottom, posters do a great job supporting their schools/teams ... we have some very knowledgeable posters who not only provide their own "opines" but throw out the "napkin stats" to backup their "bloviating" - myself included lol ... besides this site is the only site where you will find Pfloyd's Elite 8 !!!! ... Happy New Year !!!! and may all the teams Below the Line "represent" come the "survive and advance" season in February and March ...

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Happy New year to you.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Looks like the DIII SE Sectional & District is going to be a dandy!

Waverly Sectional: Top 5 .....Peebles, Eastern Brown, Piketon, Northwest, Huntington

Jackson Sectional: Top 5....Ironton, Portsmouth, Oak Hill, Chesapeake, Burg

Athens Sectional: Top 5....Nelsonville, Federal Hocking, Belpre, Zane Trace, Alexander

The District will bring some interesting matchups :
#1 Waverly vs # 4 Jackson;
#2 Waverly vs #3 Jackson
#3 Waverly vs #2 Athens
#4 Waverly vs #1 Athens
#1 Jackson vs #4 Athens
#2 Jackson vs #3 Athens

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Seriousy Ironmen, How many times have you seen Athens play? Just the first week of the season at Jackson? If that is all you have seen than you are making some big judgements on 1 bad night. PFloyd has seen them a couple of times. VC and Eastern are both very very good.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Pfloyd, Have a happy New Year there, in Hilton Head, and if you dont mind the drive, there are some excellent restaraunts in Savannah.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Calling Southeastern a "very" good basketball team may be a stretch, however, they are a good basketball team. The point is, there are people on here and some that should know better, put too much emphasis on prognostication and perceived point spreads. This is high school basketball! There are no Vegas lines. Therefore, lets be smarter and discuss things that are tangible.

Happy New Year to Everyone! May it be a good and glorious year for all that you care about and desire.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Happy New Year everyone!! May it be a great one for all!

Maybe someone should start giving out spreads and we can all bet our leftover Christmas money each week! lol Yea right..

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

PFLOYD ... Let me get this straight, you're No. 2 team (Piketon) loses to Huntington, which was their second loss of the season BTW ... yet Eastern (6-1), who handled Huntington 50-36 at the Convo) isn't anywhere near the top 8?

Which leads me to Athens - who in its last 3 games has won IN THE "ALLEY" versus the Spartans (which is no easy place to win) ... Then ends Vinton County's 36-league game winning streak and first loss of the season by defeating the Vikes in Mcarthur 53-51 ... then come back a week later and hand Eastern its first loss of the season 45-42.

The Bulldogs last five games (5-0) are wins over 5 teams with a .500 record or better ... Vinton County (6-1), Eastern (6-1), Alexander (5-4), Wellston (4-2) and Gallia (3-3) ... And the best stat of all, their defensive stat line for all five games ... Wellston scored 30, Gallia 31, Alexander 37, VC scored 51 and Eastern 42 (Take away Lynch's trey at the buzzar and it would have been 39) ... The 'Dogs gave up an average of 38.2 points per game to five better than average teams ...

THAT'S TOP 8 MATERIAL BUDDY - NO MATTER HOW YOU CUT IT!

You know Floyd, another tid-bit that really doesn't mean much but it is something ... Athens isn't just a tiny D-IV school in the middle of nowhere -- their a legit D-II school with a (6-1) record over quality opponents ... I know it hurts to take off those PURPLE glasses, but you might thave too on this one ... lol
:mrgreen:

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Looks like the DIII SE Sectional & District is going to be a dandy!

Waverly Sectional: Top 5 .....Peebles, Eastern Brown, Piketon, Northwest, Huntington

Athens Sectional: Top 5....Nelsonville, Federal Hocking, Belpre, Zane Trace, Alexander

#2 Waverly vs #3 Jackson
#3 Waverly vs #2 Athens
#4 Waverly vs #1 Athens
#1 Jackson vs #4 Athens
#2 Jackson vs #3 Athens

Dont forget 4-1 Valley.....they beat Huntington just last night

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I think Pfloyd is banking to much on what these teams done last year. I like his pole every week and at the end of the season alot of his top 5 will be there, but there not getting it done now.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

chicken_coop wrote:
Jimmy the Greek wrote:Looks like the DIII SE Sectional & District is going to be a dandy!

#2 Waverly vs #3 Jackson
#3 Waverly vs #2 Athens
#4 Waverly vs #1 Athens
#1 Jackson vs #4 Athens
#2 Jackson vs #3 Athens

Dont forget 4-1 Valley.....they beat Huntington just last night

Waiting for them to play the Burg...got them at 6 right now.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... going on last year??? ... I'm sitting here at the Savannah Airport, took a gander at this past weeks' top 15 or so teams - hell I looked at all of them lol ... the ONLY team that I would have had lower in this past weeks list was Chesapeake - at the time I posted the list I didn't account for the loss to Campbell Memorial ... ALL other teams ARE WHERE I WOULD LIST THEM - based on their opponents, based on personally having seen the teams play , based on comparisons with teams above them and below them, based on input from the committee of one - me, based on input from my Ouija Board ... I feel good about where I have listed the teams ... I'm NOT jumping a team from the End Table list into the Elite 8 ... or because of a "hiccup" by an Elite 8 team I'm NOT dropping a team into the "abyss" for a loss ... imo one has to look at the big picture, consistency over a period of time ... it "ain't" easy folks - this week we have Waverly knocking off my #2 Piketon - will they move above the Streaks - sure BUT does that make them a better team than Piketon? not necessarily , imo Southworth on the floor for PHS DOES makeup the 2 point margin of victory for the Tigers ... are the Tigers a better team than the loss to Logan Elm in the opening game - yes they are ... I saw them get beat by LE AND I saw the team that showed up to beat Chesapeake at the Convo - I posted after the opening game loss that WHS hoped they would to where LE was by the end of the season, that the most improvement happens AFTER a loss to a quality team ... LE = quality TEAM ... Waverly has made major improvements on the court in the TEAM game ... Portsmouth IS obviously playing much better ball than their 2 opening losses to teams that begin with "South" - South Webster & South Point ... they started the season "off the charts" in the wrong direction , with each win the Trojans have climbed UP the list "marked with a bullet" ... entering this week the surging Trojans were at #14 (3-2) and just as obviously with their "W" over Marietta and losses "above" them by other teams ,PHS will continue their ride UP the charts ... Athens? I have seen the Green & Gold play in wins over Vinton County @ VC, and their home win over then undefeated Reedsville Eastern ... the A'town boyz started in the Preseason Lists at #21 ... they were destroyed by Jackson (a hiccup) and have climbed into the 10 spot entering the Week that IS ... again the OBVIOUS movement for the Bulldogs is UP (at least a one spot overtaking Reedsville Eastern .... any higher ???? LOL) ... you'll need to read Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/Southeastern Ohio the 01.03.10 edition ...

... keep up the "beatings" gentlemen - Pfloyd WILL be back in Ohio before the end of the day ...

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Pfloyd the dragons got beat by the Burg tuesday . The dragons go to Ironton Sat. in what should be interesting game.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef's Streaks are just fine. The Streaks have lost 3 games by a combined total of 6 points with one of those loses being to a tough D2 Columbus City League team in Columbus Mifflin who hit a prayer after a blatant missed travelling call and a foul on the last shot that would have gotten a yellow card in soccer for the 1-point game.

The Waverly loss is like when brothers play brothers in the driveway. The game goes either way each time they play depending on lots of factors. Waverly won this year, Piketon won last year. Southworth being absent was a factor and to what degree who knows, but there's no crying over spilled milk in the Village as Piketon had it chances with 3-pointer rolling all around the rim before deciding to roll out. We here in the Village understand how these things go after last season and all the ups and downs and seeing how fragile wins and loses can be. We've learned to focus on the positives instead of the negatives and keep fighting the "good" fight.

The Huntington loss was something no one in the Village can figure out from year to year.

So to start the new year, a different bounce or roll of the ball on the rim and the Streaks would be 8-1 or 7-2 instead of 6-3. All the victories have been convincing. We'll take 6-3 and roll on toward tournament time looking to keep improving along the way. We all learned from last year, it's best to be playing your best basketball in February instead of December and to challenge yourself with tough games so to learn about yourself along the way. The Chef thinks the Redstreaks are working toward this. I'll take my Streaks and move on!!!

Good luck to all and wish nothing but health and happiness to everyone.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

NOW, WE GOT SOME DISCUSSION GOING ON :razz:

Trojans will get there before end of the season.

we should have 6'8..Dion Mckinley,And outstanding Guard Torey Horne back before long

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

spartan......I've seen Athens just once.......I said some very true and complementary things about them. That night Jackson played GREAT....won by a significant margin. Jackson played just as good at home vs Ironton and lost by 5.

Athens is having a great season so far....but I whole-heartedly believe that Ironton, Portsmouth, Jackson, Warren and Chillicothe are better. Anyone want to argue that? I gave my opinon like everyone else does on here but some of the TVC folks get torn up.

As for pfloyd's rankings.....Athens should be top 8 6-1 with wins over Eastern and @ VC are solid wins......but if they are facing any of those 5 teams from the SEOAL.....I would pick the SEOAL team to win. I apologize that statement offends so many.

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

The unfortunate thing for Piketon is that clearly they are the best team in the Waverly sectional ,but will end up with a #2 seed (Which gets the #3 out of Jackson in the district semis). I again applaud Coach Lisath for playing a tough schedule. It will payoff.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I92 ... That was Athens second game of the season, @ Jackson ... (the awesome football season most of the hoops players were involded in really took its tole in the manner that it required some time to get into "hoops" mode) ... they truly are a completely different team since that loss ... the team that lost to Jackson would have probably been defeated by VC and Eastern as well ... the team that has grown by leaps and bounds the past two weeks is a different story ...

The best is yet to come from the Athens Bulldogs, I really believe in that ... you gotta remember, these kids spent the last few years learning how to run-and-gun and play no defense under McNeal ... Skinner has changed the landscape entirely, they are now a defensive minded team and its taken a little bit of time to adjust ... truth of the matter is, to acomplish what they have done thus far is really shocking to me - I thought it would take at least half of a season or more before they would adapt.

Come tourney time - with ATHENS, LOGAN ELM, JACKSON & VINTON COUNTY all fighting for two sports (Division II Logan High School sectional) - that will be the only proving ground to see whose the best D-II teams in Southeastern Ohio ... If you give Logan Elm an almost automatic bid due to how good they are - it comes down to VC, Jackson and Athens .... Its gonna be fun, that's for sure ... I wish all the area teams good luck and will cheer for all fo them at the Convo ... but I gotta cheer for the 'Dogs first ... lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bulldog..that was also Jackson's 2nd game.

Athens had a great football season......did not play in week 11........Jackson surprised myself and many others by going 7-3.....they also did not play in week #11.

Athens has many of their basketball players on the football team? Jackson's staring PG (who rarely comes out of the game and played almost all of that game was a 2 way starter for the Ironmen, Jackson's #2 guard that game was a 2 way starter for the Ironmen as well...and the clincher Morgan Dobbins was all-league as a sophoomore, averaged 18 ppg as a soph and a jr....won the individual state golf championship which kept him away from basketball more than anyone.....and did not start and played about 1/2 of that game........as is now 3 weeks later he is scoring great and playing much of the games again.

I'll buy Athens was still figuring out the coach's system and how to best execute....and they are better.....so is Jackson......Jackson had no edge because they weren't involved in other sports in the fall.

The sectional will be fun for sure.......who will get screwed and put into the #4 spot?! The old adage you gotta beat someone sometime.....taht's fine....but facing Logan Elm in the sectionals should be avoided!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”