Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Main Man
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Post by Main Man »

Actually #30 for ZT was the Quarterback on a playoff team this year. He was also Co-Offensive player of the year in the SVC for football this year. SVC player of the year in hoops. District 14 player of the year in hoops also.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Pfloyd,

Thank you for your efforts and information that you provide to all of us.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

I will tell you this, Maxwell is a very good player...I will also tell you this...Chesapeake is the strongest team we've played all year on the interior...You better hope ZT is hitting the 3 ball...What worries me, Leslie had 29 against ZT; Chesapeake is MUCH bigger and they rebound well....I will be rooting for ZT, but if the interior defense doesn't play any better against Peake' than they did versus Northwest, it will be a long night like we faced tonight! That's my honest opinion!

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

Coach Kelley wrote:I will tell you this, Maxwell is a very good player...I will also tell you this...Chesapeake is the strongest team we've played all year on the interior...You better hope ZT is hitting the 3 ball...What worries me, Leslie had 29 against ZT; Chesapeake is MUCH bigger and they rebound well....I will be rooting for ZT, but if the interior defense doesn't play any better against Peake' than they did versus Northwest, it will be a long night like we faced tonight! That's my honest opinion!

im not sure zt defense was that weak on the inside, just #24 offensive moves just made them look very weak,,, 55 for peake is a very strong and big player but couldnt carry nwest's 24s gym bag on the offensive end. I think 22 for zt will match up better with 55 from peake, but i could be wrong. im not saying peake is weak , but they wont match up well ,, but peake will HAVE to go zone or this game willl get out of hand and even then , hope they dont hit the 3s

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

I agree that Leslie is one of the better big men in the area...I'm not even saying that #55 has to have a strong offensive night...they (Peake) have 3 big, strong interior players that wear you down that will definitely pose match up problems for ZT. They rebound very well and contest shots very well. Chamberlin can't pick up 2 quick fouls like he did tonight in the first quarter, or they will be in big trouble. Granted, I have seen Maxwell carry that team on his back, but this is a tougher test than he's faced in the SVC, for sure! Should be a great matchup...as I mentioned, I hope ZT wins.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

youthsportsfan wrote:this was a great game ,, nw vs zt not quite sure why #24 didnt get the ball more down the stretch, best post player ive seen in sometime. how about the 2 no charge calls by hardy. no doubt these are tough calls but this didnt cost the game for anyone,, it was the missed 5 foot baskets by nw early and #24 not shooting another 10 + times the 2nd half. zt is a very good team and i think they will beat the peak by 15+ #22 will handle 55 for peak but peak has NO ONE that can stop #30 for zt copley cant hes just not strong enough,, but the pg for peak will give zt fits as he is alot quicker than #3 for zt peak will have to or should go a zone and hope they dont get hot from 3 or go triangle and 2 and guard 3 and 30 ,,

#30 had to be a linebacker or fullback for zt ? one of the strongest bball players ive seen and very quick for his size.

I'll take that bet!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

So PFloyd, you gonna be at the Convo tuesday night for some Southern vs SW hoops action?

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Chesapeake will be the favorite going into this game but the game will be close - nobody is going to win by 15.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Not trying to be smart here but how can Peake be the favorite in every game? haha. They are the 3 seed and played 2 Piketon and now 1 ZT. But so far that seeding seems to be working out for them. And I agree. I dont think either one will win by 15. ZT has been on Pfloyds elite 8 for a very long time!

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

6 Remaining SEO D-3 teams by conference
Eastern Brown:SHL
Peebles:SHL
Zane Trace:SVC
Chesapeake:OVC
Wheelersburg:SOC
Ironton:SEOAL

Way to represent the SHL this year guys!

Indian Fanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Indian Fanatic »

pfloyd, did you make it to the convo last night to watch Peebles/Valley and Ironton/NY?? Was hoping to see your breakdown of the game... :122245

So proud of my Peebles Indians and the SHL thus far...

cheer 'em on
Riding the Bench

Post by cheer 'em on »

TribeManiac10 wrote:6 Remaining SEO D-3 teams by conference
Eastern Brown:SHL
Peebles:SHL
Zane Trace:SVC
Chesapeake:OVC
Wheelersburg:SOC
Ironton:SEOAL

Way to represent the SHL this year guys!

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting. :122245

buckcc
Freshman Team

Post by buckcc »

i was just wondering when u guys, put the recent matchup's in if u could put there current records in,i need some of the teams records from down your way.

Indian Fanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Indian Fanatic »

Peebles is now 21-1

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Dont quote me on this but I think Peake is 18-4. I know they lost 4 games but not 100% on the number of wins. Dont know if any games got cancelled due to snow.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton's 19-3 after their win over Nelsonville-York

HoundsAre4Real
JV Team

Post by HoundsAre4Real »

Manchester just knocked off another state ranked team last night.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

HoundsAre4Real wrote:Manchester just knocked off another state ranked team last night.

Good to see Manchester is finally seeing some consistancy. I will be rooting for the hounds on saturday.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... now THAT was a basketball game !!! Logan Elm vs Warren for the Division II Southeast District Title ... 2 of the best coaches in Southern Ohio in Coach Maddox of Warren Local and Coach Stiverson of Logan Elm - both showed why they get it done on the court with key decisions at key times throughout the ball game tonight ... 2 outstanding TEAMs in the Warriors and the Braves - I believe the largest lead by either team in this one was 4 points ... 2 fantastic schools who supported their teams all season, and 2 fan bases that are second to none ... it all added up to a game that showcased what high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line is all about ... Logan Elm 55 Warren Local 54 a final ...

... what a strange game in many aspects - Warren Local seemed to be in control and in the lead in this one EVEN WHEN THEY WEREN'T - they played that solid of a floor game at both ends of the floor ... on the other side of half court Logan Elm never seemed to be in command of this one, never quite getting over the top to take control offensively, never quite getting THE stop to push a lead to more than one possession throughout ... YET when you look at the quarter breaks Logan Elm WAS in control where it counted "on the scoreboard" - Logan Elm 13 Warren 12 after one ... Logan Elm 23 Warren 19 at intermission ... Logan Elm 36 Warren 34 end of three ... Logan Elm 55 Warren 54 a final ...

... Warren defensively had "on the ball" pressure all night - forcing Logan Elm perimeter people to turn over the ball an uncharacteristic 17 times for the game ... LE for the second game in a row had difficulty getting the outside shots to fall in the first half and into a good chunk of the 3rd before Cory Whaley found the range from deep for 3 treys to KEEP LE in the game and Warren at bay going into the 4th ... on the Warren side of the court - as I said the Warriors of Coach Maddox controlled this one or at least played a strong enough floor game at both ends to have a chance to pull the upset as time wound down in the 4th period - the usual suspect perimeter game for WHS remained suspect as Warren was 2/6 from behind the arc ... when you look at the Napkin Stats for the Warriors they got the shots they wanted, got into the paint, led by Grant Venham, Brandon Fivecoait, Clay Ellenwood - all three were getting the ball in scoring position in the box ... Warren hit 12 of 18 field goals from the "block in" with Ellenwood and Venham hitting the WHS "long range" shots of 12-15 foot jumpers ... Logan Elm although struggling from the field from long range DID hit enough treys in the first 3 quarters (4/13) to offset a few of the possessions that ended in TOs ...

... all year teams look to figure out who their "go to" guys are, who wants the ball at crunch time - in tonights game there was no doubt who THE GO TO guys were/are/will be in this one ... Adam Blake for Logan Elm the Division II SE District Play of the Year showed why he is "the man" for LE - 14 points in the 4th period, 3 triples, a regular & 1 ... when Warren's own "go to " guy junior Austin Cunningham (7 points in the 4th) would put WHS up by a bucket , or sophomore future "go to guy" Jeremy Hastie (7 points in the 4th quarter) put Warren in the lead Adam Blake had THE answer ... with all of the Adam Blake heroics to give LE a one point lead with under 10 seconds to go... Warren had the Braves right where they wanted them - only leading by one, WHS in possession, the "go to " guy in Austin Cunningham with the ball in his hands at crunch time, AC working his magic to get free for a floater on the left block - can't ask for more than that ... Logan Elm 55 Warren Local 54 a final ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Warren Local

Scoring ... Austin Cunningham 16, Brandon Fivecoait 13, Clay Ellenwood 10, Grant Venham 8, Jeremy Hastie 7

3 pointers ... 2/6 ... Cunningham/Hastie each with 1 a piece both in the 4th quarter ...

FTs ... 16/23 ... THE KEY napkin stat 10/16 in the 4th quarter ...

TOs ... 12

... Congratulations to the Warren TEAM - great season (19-5) ... outstanding game plan, and execution on the court ... the W was there for the taking ... looking forward to seeing the 2010-11 edition of the Blue ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Logan Elm

Scoring ... Adam Blake 23, Cory Whaley 14, Tyler Pritchard 8, Jake Thompson 6, Logan Hauserman 4 ...

3 Pointers ... 8/17 ... LE with 4 in the final quarter of action ... Adam Blake 4, Cory Whaley 4 ...

FTs ... 3/6

TO's ... 17 ... 17 possessions without getting off a shot ...

... Great TEAMS find a way to win ... LE IS one of those TEAMS ... lots of talk about this years version of the Braves NOT being as good as last years ball club - lets see , the Braves have gotten BACK to the Regionals after losing 40+ points from the offensive side , how? defense AND every person on the floor making themselves an offensive threat - a contributor that has to be accounted for by their opponents AND then you have a "given" floor leader in Adam Blake ... you have to have that one PLAYER who is willing to be "THE GUY" ... I don't think that there was any doubt coming into this season who THE GUY was going to be on this Logan Elm TEAM ... Congratulations to Coach Stiverson, the Logan Elm TEAM on their back to back District Championships ... "survive and advance" that's what it is all about ... the Pfloyd Tour will be in the Cheap Seats as you continue on your way down the tournament trail ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Saturday at the Convo watching high school hoops with so much on the line for the teams, coaches, fans, schools, and communities ... it is always something that amazes me - as I can be objective never having a dog in the fight so to speak- to see the pride that is created by a group of players in school, community and TEAM ... Southern/Southeast Ohio is like no other location in Ohio for harvesting the PRIDE that is felt by all involved, the feelings of "family" that are honed among people whose only commonality is that they are supporting a small group of young men who work every day in many cases 365 days a year, who on a few nights a week from December - March carry the hopes and dreams of their schools and communities ... Saturday at the Convo showcased all of the PRIDE eight teams, 8 schools , 8 communities could muster ... no one in attendance was disappointed in the effort, the talent on display in any game ... great stuff ...

Game 1 ... Manchester vs Southern ... Manchester 69 Southern 59 a final ...

Game 2 ... Eastern Brown vs Wheelersburg ... Eastern Brown 72 Wheelersburg 56 a final ...

Game 3 ... Zane Trace vs Chesapeake ... Chesapeake 43 Zane Trace 40 a final ...

Game 4 ... Ironton vs Peebles ... Ironton 69 Peebles 68 2ots a final ...

Game 2 ... this one was in the books after the first quarter - Eastern Brown blitzed the Burg from every corner of the Convo floor ... 4/4 from three pointer land to start the game - setting the tone for the contest ... followed by a couple of complimentary medium range shots ... 2 steals and transition baskets to finish, a MISSED shot with a made followup basket and an old fashion DRIVE to the rim for 2 ...EB 24 the Burg 6 after one ... when the dust settled the SHL Eastern Brown Warriors were 72 - 56 winners over the SOC Pirates from Wheelersburg ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Wheelersburg

Scoring ... Andrew Bendolph 18, Andy Stegman 13, Shane Ward 10, Tyler Lang 9, Parker 2, Graf 2

3 Pointers ... 1/14 ... Lang 1

FTs ... 15/19

TOs ... 17

... the Burg outscored Eastern Brown 50-48 after the first quarter shot to the face by the Warriors ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown

Scoring ... Taylor Little 20, Tyler Knabb 19, Jordan Payne 14, Austin Smith 11, Stout 3, Wendel 3, Garrett 2, Dabe 2

3 Pointers ... 10/14 WOW! ... Knabb 4, Payne 2, Little 2, Smith 1, Wendel 1

FTs ... 14/18 ... 11/14 in the 4th quarter ...

TOs ... 13

... never saw this one coming from EB ... 10/14 from downtown ... the Warriors bloodied the Burg early and never looked back, answering all of the Pirate challenges after that first quarter bludgeoning - Knabb, Little, Payne ... EB's "triple" threat - literally ...

Game 3 ... what a battle we witnessed between another 2 of my favorite teams from the Pfloyd Tour this season ... Zane Trace came into this one without their key defensive stopper in junior Joel Tripp (dislocated knee cap) if that wasn't enough - Coach Alley entered the final 2 and half minutes , with ZT down 38-40 seeing one of the Pioneer leaders in Gabe Haynes go down, re-injuring his dislocated shoulder... followed at 1:17 left in the contest by ZT's number one scoring option Kirk Maxwell leaving the game with leg cramps - never to get back on the floor ... to top off ALL of that- ZT was taking on the Chesapeake Panthers of Coach Davis WITH ALL of their chambers loaded - Hintz, Copley, McMaster, Saunders, Kennedy ... ZT held the potent front line of McMaster/Saunders/Kennedy to a total of 8 points for the game - Austin McMaster put up 24 vs Piketon in the previous game to get to the district final ( only 4 in this one all in the first half while being blanketed by Gabe Haynes) - outstanding defense ... however the Peake has 4 offensive weapons to garner defensive attention , the 4th cog in the Peake's offensive attack is/was Nathan Copley ... NC scored ALL but 14 of the CHS points for the game (29 points) ... 5 triples on the night ... 13 points in the 4th period bringing the Panthers back from 7 down after three quarters to being 3 up to end the game and moving on - District Champion ... Chesapeake 43 Zane Trace 40 a final ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Zane Trace

Scoring ... Kirk Maxwell 17, Drew Davis 10, Gabe Haynes 5, Rick Chamberlin 4, Dallas Cochenour 4

3 Pointers ... 4/17 ... Drew Davis 2, Haynes/Maxwell 1 each

FT's ... 6/13

TOs ... 13

... hard to watch the last 2 plus minutes as Zane Trace was left without it's top two options offensively - Haynes/Maxwell ... having seen ZT play a couple times this past regular season I know the one person that wanted to be on that floor more than anyone - Kirk Maxwell ... the young man carried the team in crunch time so many times all season long, to see him unable to go , a senior ... an outstanding career for Kirk Maxwell - best of luck to both Maxwell and Haynes ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Chesapeake

Scoring ... Nathan Copley 29, Peter Hintz 6, Austin McMaster 4, Colin Kennedy 2, Trent Saunders 2

3 Pointers ... 5/13 ... Nathan Copley 5

FTs ... 4/9

TOs ... 10

... Chesapeake found the "one" weakness in the ZT defense - ZT had no answer for Nathan Copley ... while ZT could only muster 7 points in the final quarter - Copley was able to hit 2 treys, a regular "& one" , got to the rim twice and added 3 FTs in the final 8 minutes of play - 13 points in the final period of action ... good teams find a way to get it done - Copley put the Peake fortunes on his shoulders - got it done ... throw in the solid defense that the Panther TEAM played in shutting down Haynes (5 points) allowing the one man wrecking crew in Copley to do his magic ... survive and advance - the name of the game ... Chesapeake played the game and moved on to the Regional Semi's this week ...

... best of luck to all of these teams as they continue a step closer to the promised land - somewhere up Rt 33 ... the SHOW it is ... next hurdle The Regionals ... to those teams whose seasons ended this weekend - thank you for the many great moments this season that you provided for us Cheap Seat folks to witness ... thank you ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”