Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
bvmv4life
All Conference

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Final Editio

Post by bvmv4life »

pfloyd no recap on the Chillicothe/Logan Elm game...?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

lol ... Ive been talking that crowd up all week Floyd ... Actually, I just got done watching West Virginia/Louisville on T.V. - which had 'one of those boys' from that awsome day playing in the game (Cam Thoroughman).

Perhaps this years' championship Saturday will come close to that year; but I doubt it. Especially since the D-II game is now on Friday and their throwing a girls game in the mix. The year your talking about kicked off with the Greenfield/VC match-up (which was the D-II district championship ... Followed by 2 really good D-IV championships, which featured Nick Aldridge, A.J. Jenkins, Nathan Cozart, Cody Dill, Robbie Cross, Alex Simpson, etc...etc... And then if that wasn't enough: we got to see Ironton cap the night off with a triple overtime win over Westfall ... And oh yea, there was a certain Chesapake team that wasn't too shabby featuring a very young P.J. Rase at the point.

Ahhhhhhh - now that was a day to remember!

Too bad Locos & 2old had to ruin half the day talking about Logan football and how Athens choked that fall! lol

(But in terms of meeting expectations - this years D-III championships could turn out to be quite a day as long as all the top teams make it.)

The thing is: Their use to be only two D-III teams make it to the regionals - now their are three ... In kind of spread the teams out a little ... Peebles, Ironton, Chesapeake, Piketon & Portsmouth would have had to battle it out for 2 spots ... Now, the only 'potential' match-up of ranked teams could be Peake & Piketon.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

after reading the recap of the Warren-Waverly contest, it felt as though I was there, Great job!!! Congrats to Warren for that Victory and good luck next time out GO SEOAL!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bvmv4life ...

... I said going into this match-up that in order for Logan Elm to get the "W" they would have to get it done offensively - 37 points isn't enough to get it done ... having the Logan Elm floor leader Jake Thomas go down in the 4th quarter after LE drew within 1 point 37-38 with 4:26 to play killed all of the Braves momentum as well as ALL of the Red & White scoring - LE didn't score the rest of the way as Chillicothe went on a 12-0 run to close it out ... Chillicothe 50 Logan Elm 37 a final ...

... this one was easy to read from the get go as in the Cavs first possession of the game they had 5 shots at the basketball (4 offensive rebounds) - rebounding advantage to the Cavs ... at the defensive end for Chilli Mr. London controlled the paint from opening tip (he got that too) as well as blocking 3 shots in the first quarter while altering everything LE tried to do below the blocks - in the 3 years that I have seen London play last nights game was the FIRST he was a factor at BOTH ENDS of the floor as he scored 11 on the night and "took over the game" offensively in the 3rd with 9 points in the quarter - I have NEVER used the words "London took over the game" before until last night - the kid came to play and DID what he is expected to do every game ... Ragland as offensive minded as he IS and SHOULD BE did a great job staying patient/not getting flustered by the defense on him - patience/good shot selection AND great FT shooting 4/4 in the 4th period ... Free Throw shooting gives the edge to Chillicothe in every game they play... last night was no exception 15/18 for the game as a team ... 10/11 in the final quarter ... Logan Elm had the "great defensive team" mantra coming into last nights game to go with their anemic offense... Chillicothe's MO coming in - a line of scorers in Ragland/Johnson/London/Manion all able to put numbers on the board every night AND they have the defensive quicks/rebounding/the shot blocker/alterer in the paint to hold opponents under the magic "less than 50 point total" for a game ... last night the Cavs showed the ability to do it all while their "go to" scorer in Ragland was being shutdown for most of the game by the LE defense - no panic, ALL TEAM ... great TEAM "W" for the Cavs ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan Elm ...

Scoring ... Jake Thomas 14, Stonerock 14, Elswick 3, Pritchard 2, Riffle 2, Vagnier 2 ...

3 Pointers ... 3/17 ... Thomas 3, Elswick 1

FT's ... 6/9

TOs ... 17

... attesting to the defense of Chillicothe - 17 LE turnovers, ONLY 3/17 from behind the arc , these scoring totals Elswick 3 points, Pritchard 2, Riffle 2, Vagnier 2 > most teams have A "lockdown defender" - Cavs have 6 that can shutdown the opponents offensive attack ... LE's philosophy has it being able to hold the opposition under 50= W that only can happen IF you yourself can get to 50 on the offensive side ... still think that the 2010-11 LE campaign was Coach Stiverson's BEST yet - no offensive start, not BIG , and probably a bigger factor NO Blake for the first time in forever ... great season Braves ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chillicothe ...

Scoring ... Johnson 12, Manion 12, London 11, Ragland 9, I. Beverly 4, Cocoran 2

3 pointers ... 1/4 ... Ragland couldn't get loose for the 3 ball ... Ragland 1

FTs ... 15/18

TOs ... 18

... Chillicothe as has been expected ALL season IS the real deal ... the expectations for a deep run in the post season by the Cavs are well founded ... as pointed out earlier - great across the board man defense can shutdown more than THE main scorer , can do it to the entire opponents starting 5 , London in the paint changes the offensive attack of the opponent forcing the opposition to be great from the perimeter, as a TEAM the Cavs don't foul! called for 5 fouls in the 1st qtr last night, 3 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd and only 1 in the 4th -> they keep their opponent OFF the FT line ... while the Cavs have the personnel to get into the paint with Ragland, Beverly, Johnson, Manion,London => Cavs make their FTs advantage in the close games vs everyone ... IF you can find a weakness I look at the pressure that an opponent can put on the Cavs backcourt - 18 TOs last night ... ball handling MAY be the Cavs achilles heal , a second weakness MIGHT fall on the Cavs bench or lack of one - Cocoran was 1st off the bench with Djacic appearing hobbled and did not make an appearance ... weaknesses imo = ball handling/short bench - we'll just have to
watch from the Cheap Seats to find out ...

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Thx pfloyd.....

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Pfloyd/bvmv...one thing not mentioned is Zach Johnson's individual defense on Logan Elms Elswick. He is LE go to guy in terms of getting double screens, etc. Johnson did a tremendous job getting through and around picks. Elswick getting held to 3 was huge.

Pfloyd and Stiverson know good D when they see it. Stiverson was quoted as saying Chilly's D may have been the best they saw all year. We will need it again next week
Last edited by Hitchbone64 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Elite 8 Peebles falls today

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Swanker Pine wrote:Elite 8 Peebles falls today
yep....but to a team only 11 spots down on the tree hugger list..so still not bad :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

congrats to Burg on the big win!!!! another scioto county team moves on...

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Thanks PFloyd for the support this year.Wish Peebles would have brought their A game.Congrats to the burg on being able to take us out of our game.Coach Barrick can be proud.Great coach.Hopefully our great young coach Arey can learn from this game and continue to bring us back to the convo for years to come so that we can break this Burg curse.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Pfloyd When will you have a recap on the Portsmouth game?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ozzie I figured trojandave would be putting something up about the game Saturday night so I didn't recap it - I can if you still want something 2 days past the outcome - let me know ... these fingers are made for spreading some napkin stat "stuff" and more LOL ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd

I will answer for ozzie.....tojandave, did post on the other thread so,you dont need to dig the napkins outa the trash..you can go back to scraping all that salt of the giant pretzel ,that you no doubt had to take a loan, to purchase at the convo :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coach Secrest did an outstanding job with the Tigers this season 7 losses to only 3 teams all in the top 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio basketball ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looking forward to another weekend of hs hoops at the Convo ... been trying to rest up this week so I can make it through Friday night D2 District Championship game Warren vs Chillicothe , then making the return trip to Athens Saturday for those D4 games Saturday morning and ending with the 3 DIII contests Saturday evening ... should be another super weekend - #2 of the 3 Weeks of the Convo and Basketball Thirty ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... Had you not had some medical problems this winter - I would definitly be 'dogging' you right now ... You bailed on me Sunday and didn't watch the Spartans put up a good fight versus Piketon (they led at the half) ... You didn't come down to witness the number of 'Howie stomps' throughout Easterns' loss to Fairfield ... Your probably won't come down to see the last two TVC teams compete (Southern & South Gallia on Thursday) ... I tell ya Floyd - your slackin ol pal - your slackin!

lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I apologize for that 93dog - I was beat- listened to the game on the way back up Rt 33 and on the puter when I got home ... and you are right I won't make it down Thursday night for the TVC get together - IF I'm going to do both Friday and Saturday at the Convo this week I have to take it easy on myself - old dude that I am LOL ... I have enjoyed the company in the Cheap Seats though! appreciate you stopping up and joining me to talk some hoops ... I'll see you Friday night for the D2 final ...

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Hey pfloyd, the Eastern girls beat Waterford tonight. Burdette lead the way with 19.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chillicothe 44
Warren 42

... great game played tonight to open up District Championship Weekend at the Convo as Chillicothe and Warren tangled for the 3rd time this season ... anyone making the trip to A'town was not disappointed as we were witness to some outstanding defensive play by both teams, a big Malik London slam, a gratuity Technical on the Warren bench resulting in the Cavs picking up 4 points in one trip down court with 4:15 to play , a gutsy Warren comeback from 9 down with 4:15 to play in the 4th, as well as the complimentary winning basket by Chillicothe's Max Cocoran with .4 seconds to play in the game to closeout the game ... Chillicothe 44 Warren 42 a final ...

...unbelievable - Warren finishes the season at 20-4 with 3 of their loses at the hands of one team - the Cavs of Coach Kellough ... 2 of the losses came on the last shot of the game - a Raland trey at Warren and tonights buzzer beater by Max Cocoran with .4 seconds remaining ... heartbreak city for the Blue of Coach Maddox ...

... this one started out as a great "baseball game" as neither team could take the lid off the bucket in the opening quarter with any consistency ...Jeremy Hastie knocked down the Warriors only three balls of the game with 2 in the quarter for the Blue of Warren while Johnson for Chillicothe picked of a couple of buckets in the paint... neither was able to get their inside game going Venham for WHS and London for CHS found the lid screwed on tight ... Warren 9 Chillicothe 6 after one ... Quarter 2 saw Warren's Grant Venham finish the quarter with 3 straight baskets while the Cavs scored by committee as 4 players each picked up one fg ... Warren 17 Chillicothe 16 at intermission ... great defense ruled the 3rd as Malik London continued his domination in the paint on the defensive end blocking/altering almost every attempt by Warren to get to the rim ... as the only player to find any success below the blocks was Venham who picked up 3 more fgs to carry Warren ... Chillicothe was able to get their #1 offensive option Jalen Ragland loose for 5 points in the stingy defensive 3rd quarter ... Warren 25 Chillicothe 27 after three ... Chillicothe opened the final period in rhythm as Manion and Ragland hit for buckets in the first minute of action forcing Coach Maddox to burn a timeout with less than a minute off the clock - CHS 31 WHS 25 at 7:08 of the 4th ... defense remained the name of the game as the next 2 minutes were owned by the Cavs at both ends of the floor as Ragland & Co. continued to shut down the Warriors offensively while adding to their lead 34-25 with 5:08 remaining ... Warren began chipping away at the lead behind 6 points from Venham, timely foul shots by Cunningham closing the gap to 4 before a T was called on the WHS bench resulting in Chilli opening up an 8 point lead on the 4 point trip down court with 4:15 to play ... Austin Cunningham was able to pickup 5 points for Warren on timely drives to the hole and 3 FTs before Warren was able to finally get over the hump at the 2:30 mark of the 4th ... in a span of 10 seconds the Warriors converted a Cunningham FT - good, missed FT rebounded by Cunningham for a quick 2 points followed by an inbounds steal by Venham for a bucket Warren 39 Chilli 38 with 2:30 to play - time out Chillicothe ... Warren COULD have put this away as the Cavs fouled repeatedly ( Manion fouling out with 2+ to play) BUT as fate would have it the lid was on the Warren bucket in the 4th as time was running down - Warren went a dismal 7 for 16 from the line in the 4th quarter ... 1 for their last 7 FTs as the game was winding down ... fate seems to bite you in the ass more often than not when you are 7/16 at the FT line as the door was left open for Cocoran of the Cavs in the final seconds of the contest ... Chilliothe 44 Warren 42 a final ...

... pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats for Warren ...

Scoring ... Grant Venham 20, Cunningham 11, Hastie 8, Ward 2, Leffingwell 1

3 pointers ... 2/12 ... Jeremy Hastie 2

FTs ... 10/21 ... 7/16 in the 4th period ... 1 for their last 7 in the 4th quarter ...

TOs ... 11

... pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats for Chillicothe ...

Scoring ... Jalen Ragland 17, Johnson 9, Manion 8, Cocoran 4, London 4, I. Beverly 1

3 pointers ... 0/10

FTs ... 12/14 - the difference in the game imo

TOs ... 11

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... It's time!!! time for pfloyd to head down Rt. 33 to the mecca of SEO High School Hoops - the Convo in A'town ... will endure the 3pm girls contest before the trifecta of DIII games beginning at 5pm with the ALL Orange & Black Wheelersburg vs Ironton, followed by the Purple & White of Chesapeake vs the Red Streaks of Piketon at 7pm ... in the nightcap the Trojans of Portsmouth take on the Dragons of Fairland to decide who will make it to the Regional Finals ... should be a great afternoon/evening of hoops ... 3 games, 3 sets of napkin stats - life is good ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... teams surviving the "2 Weeks of the Convo" off of the "Final Edition" of Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/ Southeastern Ohio (includes Treehugger Wannabe/End Table lists) ...

... Elite 8 moving into regional play ...

1. Chesapeake ... final edition #1 will take on the SugarCreek Garaway Pirates, D3

2. Portsmouth ... final edition #2 will take on the Wheelersburg Pirates of Coach Barrack, D3

3. Chillicothe ... final edition #3 will take on John Glenn out of the MVL , D2

... the Treehugger Wannabe contingent ...

13. South Webster ... final edition #13 will take on SHL representative Manchester, D4

17. Manchester ... final edition #17 will take on South Webster , D4

19. Wheelersburg ... final edition #19 does battle with #2 Portsmouth, D3

... congratulations to all of these fine teams on their play in the "Survive and Advance" season thus far ... Best of luck to ALL 6 remaining teams as ONLY 2 are guaranteed to move on with Chillicothe and Chesapeake having to beat a a couple of "foreign" teams to advance ... so the scenario's are as few as 2 (Wheelersburg/Portsmouth and South Webster/Manchester) will advance or as many as 4 will move on (D3: 'Burg/Portsmouth, D4: So. Webster/Manchester, D3: Chesapeake over SugarCreek Garaway, D2:Chillicothe over John Glenn) ... the Pfloyd Ouija Board has 4 of the 6 remaining teams moving on ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”