Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Post by pfloyd »

... It's February 7th ... We have 2 weeks of "regular season" hoops left ???? - incredible how fast hoops season races by ... WIns/Losses ... Napkins Stats ... they all pile up ... and as is always the case "the better TEAMS rise to the top" ... you will always have the "pretenders" - those teams that break out early BUT reality is that the season is 20 games long - unless you are the real deal and improving each time out all of the team shortcomings begin to show up in the "scouting reports" ... can't hide weakness for 20 games ... we have had the surprise "quality" TEAMS - Fairland, Belpre, Circleville, Piketon to name a few - some are out there saying Eastern Brown is a surprise - not according my Ouija Board - EB was destined for the Elite 8 from the Pre-Season on ... the only team in this group that I have not seen is the Roundtown boyz out of Circleville ... I'm disappointed that I have not had the opportunity to catch Coach Evans TEAM in action YET this season - but there is time left as CHS is moving up the Treehugger list ... Unioto/Piketon are staying on the committee's radar ... Chillicothe has faltered the last 2 games out albeit vs Gahana Lincoln (OCC) and Portsmouth (an argument can be made for the Trojans as the #1 team in Southern Ohio) ... What a great time of the season - When EVERY time out counts for or against you in the rankings ... league standings ... and sectional seeding ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10 ...

1. Chesapeake (16-1)

2. Portsmouth (15-2)

3. Warren (13-2) / Ironton (13-4)

4. Lucasville Valley (15-2)

5. Logan Elm (12-4)

6. Eastern Brown (13-4)

7. Fairland (13-4)

8. Peebles (14-2)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

(11-6) Chillicothe
(12-4) Circleville
(12-4) Unioto
(13-4) Hillsboro
(13-4) Waverly
(12-5) Huntington
(11-5) Piketon
(11-4) Belpre
(12-3) Southern
(14-2) Portsmouth Notre Dame
(8-7) Fairfield Union
(11-6) Sheridan
(10-6) Southeastern
(12-4) Eastern Pike
(9-6) North Adams
(8-8) Marietta
(8-7) South Webster
(11-5) Minford
(10-6) Manchester
(11-6) Oak Hill
(8-8) Lynchburg Clay
(8-8) Zane Trace
(9-6) Vinton County
(9-6) Fairfield Leesburg
(7-8) Miami Trace
(10-5) Wellston
(7-9) Jackson
(8-7) Wahama
(9-7) South Gallia
(5-12) Logan
(10-6) Nelsonville York
(8-7) Athens
(8-6) Waterford
(6-12) Westfall
(6-11) Whiteoak
(8-8) Federal Hocking
(7-9) New Lexington
(7-9) South Point
(9-8) Rock Hill
(7-9) Washington CH
(5-12) Greenfield McClain
(5-12) Paint Valley
(10-7) Coal Grove
(9-5) New Boston
(6-10) Symmes Valley
(4-11) Wheelersburg
(4-12) River Valley
(6-9) Portsmouth East
(9-7) St. Josephs
(4-10) Franklin Furnace Green
(3-10) Miller
(4-11) Crooksville
(4-12) Portsmouth West
(4-13) Alexander
(4-11) Reedsville Eastern

... Teams on the End Table ...

(1-15) Adena
(3-13) Gallia Academy
(1-16) Meigs
(2-13) Trimble
(2-15) Western Pike
(1-15) Northwest
(1-15) Portsmouth Clay
(0-15) West Union

... look over the records - tell me which records need "revised" - it shall be done ... get out , support the players, coaches, teams as yet another hoops season is drawing to a close ... some great seniors out there who have entertained us over the years - show them your appreciation for the time, effort, sacrifice they have made for themselves, team, coaches, fans - best of luck to all in the Week that IS ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Post by pfloyd »

... I made a correction I had miscopied Eastern Brown and Peebles from my sheet - sorry to any posters from either school for this mistake - it is now corrected ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Looks pretty good to me, glad to have you back.

My only issue is with Zane Trace being as far behind Eastern Pike as they are. I know ZT is probably the most inconsistent team in all of SE Ohio(quit getting T's and having to sit!!) but they did absolutely put it on the Eagles, 76-56 on Saturday night.

Unioto @ Piketon in a quasi-SVC championship game will be played Friday night in the village. The U got by the Streaks(without Cole Murray) on an Andrew Warner buzzer beater(one of 3 game winners in the last 30 seconds for him this year) and the Streaks will be looking for revenge AND another chance at the SVC title. If Unioto wins, they'll have to beat either Southeastern(Monday) or Adena(Friday) on the road, to lock up their 1st SVC title since the 94-95 season(when Coach Matt Hoops was a Junior)

Another HUGE SVC game will feature Huntington @ Zane Trace. If Huntington wants a shot at a split SVC title, they MUST win in Kinnkinnick Friday night.

I also don't think I used nearly enough parenthesis in this post.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

There was nothing inconsistant about ZT this past saturday. They didn't miss a shot....lol

They would had beaten any team in the SVC that night the way they shot the ball...including the big boys Unioto, Piketon, and Huntington IMHO and yes I have seen them all play. Their center is very good and their guards sank 3 after 3 when Eastern helped on the post.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Eaglesnest wrote:There was nothing inconsistant about ZT this past saturday. They didn't miss a shot....lol

They would had beaten any team in the SVC that night the way they shot the ball...including the big boys Unioto, Piketon, and Huntington IMHO and yes I have seen them all play. Their center is very good and their guards sank 3 after 3 when Eastern helped on the post.
That's how they beat Valley and partially how they beat Unioto. They have the athletes and as you've seen, can get super hot, just they have to tighten things up once their 'fire' goes out.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Zane Trace is a "ranking" nightmare !!!! I fully understand any "arguments" about their placement BUT athletes, potential doesn't jump them or drop the "victim" due to ZT's inconsistent play ... it's happened so much this season not only with ZT but others as well hmmmmmmmmmmmm come to think of it it happens A LOT in the SVC !!!!!!!! it's an SVC plot to mess with my Ouija Board !!!!!! LOL ... it is hard to "look like" you know what you are doing when ranking teams that have "hiccups" !!! ... you fellow Cheap Seat fans KNOW exactly what I'm talking about too ...

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

I really have a problem with Portsmouth possibly being the number 1 team in southern ohio,because they beat Chilli twice,this team has lost 6 games ,and only beat a Gallia Academy team by 12 points at Gallia.On the other end of the spectrum,the Panthers beat Gallia by 38 points at Gallia.The Panthers beat Ironton at Ironton by 3 points,Portsmouth lost to Ironton by 14 points at Ironton,I REST MY CASE.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good points peake hoops !!!! hence Chesapeake IS #1 in the rankings ... by the way was great reading that Patrick Hintz knocked down 26 points Saturday night ... sure makes life easier when ALL the cylinders are hitting ... makes defending an already potent offensive machine that much more difficult to stop ... Coach Davis & Co. are clicking going into the post season/Road to the Convo time of year ...

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

pfloyd; Good to see you pounding the keys again and giving us your Elite 8. It was sad last Friday night knowing where you were and your purple boys playing the boys in blue and you not there. Thank the wife again for returning my e mails. I had to know!!!!

I will be going to Gallia tonight, so between Jottings and me you will get NAPKIN STATS. The Portmouth game was outstanding, could not ask for more. That game has turned up the fire even more under the Warriors. Hopr they keep it going.

PS; I know this is going to hurt, BUT the other Warren team is 13-5, just won a HUGE game at Jackson, 1st place in the SEOAL( going to win it) and are the #2 seed. They are peaking at the right time.

GO TEAM WARREN WARRIORS!!!!!!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Darn it Floyd ... You keep messing with my new names ... 'Floyd's TOP 10' was cool ... The Elite 8 has history behind it ... Now your at nine teams? Nothing rhymes with nine!

Wait a second ... How about ... "Pfloyds Nifty Nine?"

lol

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

I know Oak Hill is easy to dislike but they deserve more credit. They dropped 3 spots this week from #26 to #29 and had the following schedule/results from last week.

Oak Hill 77
Northwest 27

Oak Hill 65
@ Waverly 59

Valley 66
Oak Hill 50

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

'tis the season for tournaments' - I'll go ahead and post some 'nifty' info here on Floyd's thread.

THE THREE CHANGES THAT MAKE THE CONVO EXPERIENCE EVEN BETTER!

1) Expanding the DII district tournament to 8 teams ... More teams, more games - heck yea!

2) Its been this way for a little while now - but the Division III district tournament use to only send 2 teams to the regionals (and they had to play each other in the semi-finals - which only guaranteed one team with a chance to go to the state tournament.) ... Now 3-out-of-the-4 teams are from the southeast district, which gives us a waaaaaay better chance at sending a team to Columbus. (i.e. Portsmouth last year.)

3) And I really love this one ... After years and years of me complaining about losing our D4 district teams to the Columbus regional - they are finally bringing it back to the Convo this season!

* You gotta love this time of year! lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Oak Hill has lost 5 of their last 9 outings ... the Oak Hill win over Waverly dropped the Tigers from the top 8 <= good win for sure ... not hating on Coach Persin's boyz at all ... dropped 3 teams from the top 10 - replaced them with 2 ...

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

Great to see ya back, Pfloyd. Dang, I have class tonight and can't make it to the Gallia game. I will definitely have to catch you at the convo, or the Chillicothe game. GO WARRIORS .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... can't get out to a gym tonight BUT I have the Burg vs Tigers game online ...

Wheelersburg 19
Ironton 24 ... Trey Fletcher with 13 points in the half ... at intermission ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Wheelersburg 21
Ironton 33 ... 4:39 left in the 3rd

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Wheelersburg 33
Ironton 43 with 4:33 left in the 4th

ovcfan12
Riding the Bench

Post by ovcfan12 »

Pfolyd where do you think Fairland will get seeded? Im thinking anything from 1-6 honestly lol.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Wheelersburg 39
Ironton 53 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fan1990 ... LOL !!! honestly - the seedings seem to be soooo political some years ... your prediction of 1-6 MIGHT not be far off LMAO !!! ... no matter where Fairland is seeded they are in my book one of the best all around basketball TEAMS that I have seen this season ... one of the best TRUE post players in Southern Ohio in Evan Salyer - he plays IN the paint BUT can go outside for that 15 foot jumper as well ... drives baseline - what a nice offensive game he has ... FHS has a perimeter game to go with Salyers - Maddox,Midkiff,Riley ... Fuller can work the baseline, get to the rim from the perimeter ... throw in that freshman Nathan Campbell - great on the ball defender, runs the point position seeing the floor/delivering the ball ... solid fundamental basketball from the Dragons ... I like this TEAM for sure ... AND they CAN SHOOT their FTs!!! I know it sounds strange BUT it will be TOs and FTs shooting that are going to be a key when it comes to the "survive and advance" season oh yeh Fairland does both of these very well - taking care of the ball AND hitting the Freebies ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”